Options

European Tour Sales = Desaster

Comments

• Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,487
    MayDay10 said:
    smile6680 said:
    MayDay10 said:
    I stopped attending Pearl Jam concerts quite awhile ago.  A lot of it is price-related.  I have the means to afford it for sure, but I am old enough to know the opportunity-cost on spending that kind of money on a consumable ticket.  I can see really good live music for a fraction of the price of a pearl jam ticket.  Plus not have to travel and assume the costs associated with that
    This is kind of how I feel. After the first Fenway concert I was wondering if the cost is worth it anymore. Tickets have skyrocketed, The venues and cities they choose to play in are way too expensive. My wife and I are also fortunate enough to be able to afford but would rather spend the money elsewhere. 

It turns into easily a thousand dollar night for my wife and I to stay in Boston and attend one of there shows.

The ballpark shows were when I kind of got bucked off as well.  
    I have been fortunate and blessed enough to see the band over 30 times.  However, that is kind of a curse as well, as it feels like I have seen it all.  Some shows and experiences were better than others, but being perfectly honest, there is some degree of diminishing returns.  The ballpark shows to me were a muffled version of a live pearl jam experience, for a much larger price.  Plus less shows means its almost mandatory to travel to see them.  

The high price, plus travel, and now add in the too-frequent and unfortunate cancellations, it is not something I want to spend multiple $Ks on, and also maybe spend time away from my family.

If they were playing at a reasonably commutable distance for me, I would likely buy 10c tickets to see them 1 more time and probably bring my son.  I just don't see myself planning a trip around them (or any band) anymore. 

* I wont begrudge the band/management for charging what they do, or judge any of their decisions... And Im certainly not "but y0u f0ught TiCKetm45t3r" guy.  It is their ship to steer however they please. 
    This is pretty much where I'm at except I'm fortunate enough to be in the Boston suburbs. There are so many tours coming through and these shows are expensive enough where 2 is my absolute max. (Forget about spending extra for travel.)

I got hit with a last minute cancel for a club show in Brooklyn a couple years ago and that was a massive bummer. I can't imagine having that happen a plane ride away. At this point if I'm seeing a show outside New England/New York, the concert is incidental to the rest of the trip.
  • Options
    D-DayD-Day Far From Home Posts: 126
    edited July 3
    Good News for Barcelona 1 !?!?!?!?
    Total today (above) + Total from the night session here

Given up the complete back / must be incl. ticket upgrades from there.
    Check 220/219 for example - blue is gone today.
    Looks like a massive movement.
    They try to fill the front 2/3 of the arena.
    Tends to positive.
    Post edited by D-Day on
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Stoke-on-Trent Posts: 2,904
    pdalowsky said:
    SHZA said:
    pdalowsky said:
    Maybe its only me, but the next euro tour announcement can not come soon enough, I'll still be buzzing about new shows, and I'll still be entering the tenclub lotteries to secure tickets at the outset. Its important to me to make firm plans and know everything is set. My support for these guys is unwavering, there isn't a band in the world who can touch their shows for me. 

This has been really really shitty luck. I was devastated to get another cancellation, but crossing everything I can that Barcelona goes ahead. This tour has been blighted but we have to hope it can get back on its feet. 

There's a lot of negative talk on here, and I do fully understand the horrible disappointment that we have endured, but talk of this being the end, they won't tour Europe again, they've just lost their loyal travelling fanbase.....isn't this all a little too much? 

I will be watching for that next tour announcement with massive fervour. That will be the case until one day they do call it quits. But I sincerely hope that day is far into the distance. 
    Once bitten, twice shy. I came over here planning to see 5 Pearl Jam shows and might not get any. I also experienced cancellation announcements for Sacramento, Las Vegas, and Indianapolis after traveling, checking into hotels, etc. A domestic cancelation is one thing -- this won't cause me to change my plans to travel to Missoula, Chicago, Indy, NYC, etc. And I also have found many alternate gigs to attend here in Europe. But I'm going to seriously consider canceling my flights to New Zealand and Australia in November. Although I think in all likelihood the shows will go off without a hitch, I feel like the risk of cancelation is just too high for these shows to be the centerpiece of a two-week trip halfway across the globe.  
    I hear you - and understand this, but I genuinely think if you have a trip planned to Australia, you should absolutely consider going regardless IF you havent been before. I went to Oz some years ago and it remains the one place ive been to that broke my heart coming home. Phenomenal country, so much to do and see and the cities are just wonderful places. 

Yep, Australia is a fantastic place to go, regardless of PJ shows or not. On a similar note, I had tickets for 4 Ed Vedder shows in Florida a few years back, then he broke his arm (or wrist, or hand, or something...) Still went to Florida and had an epic time on a driving holiday. But I understand the reluctance to travel too.
    Manchester 04.06.00, Leeds 25.08.06, Wembley 18.06.07, Dusseldorf 21.06.07, Shepherds Bush 11.08.09, Manchester 17.08.09, Adelaide 17.11.09, Melbourne 20.11.09, Sydney 22.11.09, Brisbane 25.11.09, MSG1 20.05.10, MSG2 21.05.10, Dublin 22.06.10, Belfast 23.06.10, London 25.06.10, Long Beach 06.07.11 (EV), Los Angeles 08.07.11 (EV), Toronto 11.09.11, Toronto 12.09.11, Ottawa 14.09.11, Hamilton 14.09.11, Manchester 20.06.12, Manchester 21.06.12, Amsterdam 26.06.2012, Amsterdam 27.06.2012, Berlin 04.07.12, Berlin 05.07.12, Stockholm 07.07.12, Oslo 09.07.12, Copenhagen 10.07.12, Manchester 28.07.12 (EV), Brooklyn 18.10.13, Brooklyn 19.10.13, Philly 21.10.13, Philly 22.10.13, San Diego 21.11.13, LA 23.11.13, LA 24.11.13, Oakland 26.11.13, Portland 29.11.13, Spokane 30.11.13, Calgary 02.12.13, Vancouver 04.12.13, Seattle 06.12.13, Trieste 22.06.14, Vienna 25.06.14, Berlin 26.06.14, Stockholm 28.06.14, Leeds 08.07.14, Philly 28.04.16, Philly 28.04.16, MSG1 01.05.16, MSG2 02.05.16
  • Options
    THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,745
    MayDay10 said:
    smile6680 said:
    MayDay10 said:
    I stopped attending Pearl Jam concerts quite awhile ago.  A lot of it is price-related.  I have the means to afford it for sure, but I am old enough to know the opportunity-cost on spending that kind of money on a consumable ticket.  I can see really good live music for a fraction of the price of a pearl jam ticket.  Plus not have to travel and assume the costs associated with that
    This is kind of how I feel. After the first Fenway concert I was wondering if the cost is worth it anymore. Tickets have skyrocketed, The venues and cities they choose to play in are way too expensive. My wife and I are also fortunate enough to be able to afford but would rather spend the money elsewhere. 

It turns into easily a thousand dollar night for my wife and I to stay in Boston and attend one of there shows.

I have been fortunate and blessed enough to see the band over 30 times.  However, that is kind of a curse as well, as it feels like I have seen it all.  Some shows and experiences were better than others, but being perfectly honest, there is some degree of diminishing returns.  The ballpark shows to me were a muffled version of a live pearl jam experience, for a much larger price.  Plus less shows means its almost mandatory to travel to see them.  

The high price, plus travel, and now add in the too-frequent and unfortunate cancellations, it is not something I want to spend multiple $Ks on, and also maybe spend time away from my family.

If they were playing at a reasonably commutable distance for me, I would likely buy 10c tickets to see them 1 more time and probably bring my son.  I just don't see myself planning a trip around them (or any band) anymore. 

* I wont begrudge the band/management for charging what they do, or judge any of their decisions... And Im certainly not "but y0u f0ught TiCKetm45t3r" guy.  It is their ship to steer however they please. 
    You don’t want to see a concert cause you would be away from your family? What? Can you find anything else to complain about? I’ve seen multiple ballpark shows and they sounded great. Are you touring for months away from your family? 
  • Options
    Zen23Zen23 Posts: 418
    edited July 3
    I paid €174.50 at Eventim. Got €161.50 back. These fuckers are putting €13 per ticket in their own pockets. I actually thought that the drama surrounding this tour would come to an end with the cancellation of Berlin for this year. But this shitty show goes on until the last bitter second. What a shitty experience. This tour will be remembered for a long time to come. And will be hard to beat. But hey. Never say never. 
  • Options
    Zen23 said:
    I paid €174.50 at Eventim. Got €161.50 back. These fuckers are putting €13 per ticket in their own pockets. I actually thought that the drama surrounding this tour would come to an end with the cancellation of Berlin for this year. But this shitty show goes on until the last bitter second. What a shitty experience. This tour will be remembered for a long time to come. And will be hard to beat. But hey. Never say never. 
    So Ticketmaster is keeping the service fee? Who are you calling fuckers? I hope pj avoids Europe for a long time, just play the northeast where the fans don’t complain about every little thing.
  • Options
    seanclaxseanclax Posts: 408
    Zen23 said:
    So Ticketmaster is keeping the service fee? Who are you calling fuckers? I hope pj avoids Europe for a long time, just play the northeast where the fans don’t complain about every little thing.
    You'll have to ignore my American geography ignorance but is Indy in the northeast. Cos those fuckers complained for months and that was just one show not 3.

Also that guy is abit to angry over 13 euros 
  • Options
    seanclax said:
    Zen23 said:
    You'll have to ignore my American geography ignorance but is Indy in the northeast. Cos those fuckers complained for months and that was just one show not 3.

Indy isn’t the northeast. But this thread has been going for months. Just miserable. Move on. It sucks with pricing and cancellations but it’s called reality. Accept it or move on. Life is too short to beat a dead horse for months. Just my 2 cents. Carry on 
  • Options
    seanclax said:
    Zen23 said:

Indy isn’t the northeast. But this thread has been going for months. Just miserable. Move on. It sucks with pricing and cancellations but it’s called reality. Accept it or move on. Life is too short to beat a dead horse for months. Just my 2 cents. Carry on 
    I don't remember complaining.
    It's been 5 days since the first show got canceled and you seem to think that us Europeans have been so out of order with our disappointment/anger.
    I was just pointing out the whole Indy thing and how I had to listen to those people complain for months.

• Options
    edited July 3
    Zen23 said:
    I call Eventim a fucker. Because they took 175 euros from me for a concert that was canceled and I only get 161 euros back. Any problem with that? Apparently you can't do math. But for me it's far more than the 2.50 euro service fee. In addition, a class action lawsuit has been running against Eventim for years because of this nonsense. If you like being ripped off, go ahead. But don't tell others how they should behave.
    Post edited by Zen23 on
  • Options
    smile6680smile6680 Posts: 360
    MayDay10 said:
    smile6680 said:
    MayDay10 said:

You don’t want to see a concert cause you would be away from your family? What? Can you find anything else to complain about? I’ve seen multiple ballpark shows and they sounded great. Are you touring for months away from your family? 
    I really don't understand how you see this as complaining. It's just pointing out why seeing the band at places such as Fenway etc. isn't as worth it to some fans as it once was. 

I do disagree with you on the sound quality of stadiums compared to sheds and arenas. At least at Fenway. No anger, complaining or negativity are in these posts. 
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,531
    Zen23 said:
    Zen23 said:
    I call Eventim a fucker. Because they took 175 euros from me for a concert that was canceled and I only get 161 euros back. Any problem with that? Apparently you can't do math. But for me it's far more than the 2.50 euro service fee. In addition, a class action lawsuit has been running against Eventim for years because of this nonsense. If you like being ripped off, go ahead. But don't tell others how they should behave.

Just to play devil's advocate, do you think the ticket provider should be entitled to compensation for the services rendered? Issuing refunds means they did extra work. What would you consider to be a reasonable amount? 
  • Options
    BigReddBigRedd Posts: 59
    Get_Right said:
    Zen23 said:
    Zen23 said:

Just to play devil's advocate, do you think the ticket provider should be entitled to compensation for the services rendered? Issuing refunds means they did extra work. What would you consider to be a reasonable amount? 
    Absolutely not out of my pocket. Take it out of the bands pocket or the insurance coverage.

That's like saying if your flight is cancelled you should not get all of your money back because someone processed your booking and should get paid for their service. 
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,487
    Get_Right said:
    Zen23 said:
    Zen23 said:

I think there's a built-in resentment when we're consistently paying 25-33% over the price of every ticket we buy. If ticket agencies were charging like a flat $5 on every ticket for processing I think people would mostly live with "we're keeping the $5."
  • Options
    Tjm007Tjm007 Posts: 171
    pdalowsky said:
    Cal.PJ.C said:
    pdalowsky said:
    Cal.PJ.C said:
    Zen23 said:
    I read through the interview with Eddie Vedder that appeared in the music magazine Visions. Among other things, he was asked about ticket prices in Europe. I then listened to the Visions editors' podcast, which was published a few days ago on June 26, 2024. In it, the editors - including the editor-in-chief of Visions - spend 30 minutes categorizing Eddie Vedder's statements on ticket prices in Europe.

First of all, the original interview questions and answers on the subject of ticket prices.

Eddie, there has been a lot of excitement in recent weeks about the ticket prices for the upcoming concerts. In Germany, tickets cost 175 euros, and in some categories they were significantly more expensive due to so-called dynamic pricing. Didn't you actually always want to do it differently and make it fairer than everyone else?
    Unfortunately, that's more complicated. After corona, everyone wanted to go back on tour as quickly as possible, and why not? That doesn't apply to us, but many colleagues are dependent on the income from tours for their livelihood. As a result, production costs have gotten completely out of hand. You can hardly find a crew anymore, there are problems organizing buses, stages, PA systems, venues. People say: "If you don't pay my price, no problem, someone else will pay it." This even applies to service providers that we have been working with for over 30 years.

Can you still understand that some fans in the forums seem to feel downright cheated?
    If we can save money, we pass it on to the fans. But it's essential for us to at least cover our costs. If we had to pay extra and couldn't earn any money at all, we wouldn't go on tour any more.

And now the classification and assessment of his statements by the Visions editors from the podcast and partly from the article itself. Including the editor-in-chief of Visions.

- The price of 175 euros is disproportionately high.

- In the end, ticket prices are also simply a question of the artist fee.

- Even if you have an audience that is wealthy enough to pay 175 euros every two years, that doesn't justify the current prices.

- Since Pearl Jam no longer play 3-hour concerts, the question was raised as to whether Pearl Jam still have the value for money with these ticket prices or whether there is a disproportion.

- On the subject of the new stage design. What has always characterized the band was very long concerts, with variation, joy of playing. Pearl Jam don't need the new visuals or a "show". If this new concert production now leads to a ticket costing 40 or 50 euros more because it all has to be paid for somehow, then you shouldn't be surprised that fans say that the tour is taking place without them.

- Eddie Vedder's answers to the reasons for the high ticket prices are weak. You would have liked him to be clearer. Like Bruce Springsteen. That it's also fair to say that you want to improve your pension. Because you won't be on stage forever. Another example is Fat Mike, who was interviewed by the Visions editors for the NOFX farewell tour. He clearly said: "Yes, the ticket prices in Germany are 30 euros higher than what everyone expected, but that's my pension."

- It was Pearl Jam who stood up to the Ticketmaster monopoly back then, albeit ultimately in vain. The band's unique selling point always seemed to be that they approached things differently to similarly successful colleagues. In this way, they have retained the charm of a multi-platinum underground band over the decades. Pearl Jam are not Taylor Swift or Adele, who are seen as having astronomical ticket prices. The following thought comes to mind: At almost 60, the band members no longer want to play as many concerts as they used to, but want to make just as much money
    Would've loved the interviewer to reply with so why are bands like foo fighters only charging 100 a ticket
    economies of scale? Pack out stadiums and you can charge a touch less when doing multiple shows? I mean the foos did what 7 UK based shows? maybe even more
    Okay but then for artists of similar popularity, that do arenas and not stadiums ..why are they able to keep the prices down? Why is it pearl jam charging extortionate prices...do pearl jam get charged a special production cost more expensive than other artists? It makes no sense
    Really I do not know, but i think when you take a huge production on the road like this one, for 9 shows, visiting several countries, and also dealing with the extra costs imposed by Brexit, the costs mount up and there are less tickets to spread the cost across. 

I mean K of L are over here too and playing a ton of shows in the UK alone. That has to make things easier. They work longer tours perhaps for a smaller fee per show. But again i really have no idea how it all works. 
    Brexit costs hit PJ but not the Foos and Green Day ? 

• Options
    edited 6:44AM
    Get_Right said:
    Zen23 said:
    Zen23 said:

The „extra work“ after a cancelled gig is just shit happened EXCEPTIONALLY = TM’s (edit: Eventime / any ticket providers) business risk / worst case. Not a reason to charge any additional amount just because it COULD happen or more than the handling fee (4GBP/5€) is/was.

0,-

Post edited by D-Day at
  • Options

anything else than 0,- is a theft

• Options
    edited 8:16AM
    Zen23 paid 174,50€ total
    170,- PJ-ENTRY-Price
    4,50 € handling/service fee

return should be 170,- / minus fee
    return was 161,-
    Ticket provider has stolen 9€

edit: disastrous business move 
    worth XXX.XXX€
    Post edited by D-Day at
  • Options
    Rossdoc81Rossdoc81 Posts: 26
    edited 7:45AM
    It's actually hard to read through some of these threads on here. You really can't say, or even hint, that Pearl Jam may be doing anything negative. You are just told "be grateful they are touring, they don't owe you anything" which are pretty meaningless phrases that never address any of the issues people raise. So from now on should we just accept everything PJ does no matter how shitty it is and not point it out? 

Here we have someone who paid €175 for a ticket and got €161 back and people on here seem to think that's OK? Obviously you can't blame the band for this, but it does demonstrate the mind-set of some people on this forum who's immediate reaction is to jump in and attack anyone who makes any kind of point that paints the band in a negative light.

I also think there's a clear divide on here between us Europeans who are dealing with these cancellations in real life and see this tour as a f**k up from the beginning, and people in the US that are thousands of miles away just typing stuff into a computer having no idea of what's going on over here.

I assume the Taylor Swift forums reacts the same way when someone posts something about Taylor doing something wrong.
    Post edited by Rossdoc81 at
  • Options
    raindog80raindog80 Reggio Emilia, Italy Posts: 1,146
    Rossdoc81 said:
    I also think there's a clear divide on here between us Europeans who are dealing with these cancellations in real life and see this tour as a f**k up from the beginning, and people in the US that are thousands of miles away just typing stuff into a computer having no idea of what's going on over here.
    This. 
    "I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things" - Tom Waits
    pearljamonline.it
  • Options
    Rossdoc81 said:
    It's actually hard to read through some of these threads on here. You really can't say, or even hint, that Pearl Jam may be doing anything negative. You are just told "be grateful they are touring, they don't owe you anything" which are pretty meaningless phrases that never address any of the issues people raise. So from now on should we just accept everything PJ does no matter how shitty it is and not point it out? 

Here we have someone who paid €175 for a ticket and got €161 back and people on here seem to think that's OK? Obviously you can't blame the band for this, but it does demonstrate the mind-set of some people on this forum who's immediate reaction is to jump in and attack anyone who makes any kind of point that paints the band in a negative light.

Best post I've read in this thread so far. By far. Thanks for that. 
  • Options
    raindog80 said:
    Rossdoc81 said:
    This. 
    Yep this is 100% accurate.
    It was different after Indy got cancelled though
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,806
    Zen23 said:
    Rossdoc81 said:

Best post I've read in this thread so far. By far. Thanks for that. 
    +1
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    marumarukomarumaruko Frankfurt / Calgary Posts: 204

So, ticket prices have gone down in Barcelona as well, with hardly any takers.

At this point, it's just comical that no one is buying these tickets, even at a reduced price. In 1995, PJ tried to go against Ticketmaster; 29 years later, their European-based fans are turning on them. It almost feels like that line in the Batman comic: "You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain." In a less dramatic fashion, of course.

I would have never thought PJ would suffer such a loss of popularity. It goes to show how quickly the music industry can change. Back in the 90s, their concerts were always sold out within hours. Even in the 2010's. Now, even with reduced prices, they can't seem to fill the venues. It's disappointing to see a band that once had such a loyal fan base struggling like this.

Maybe it’s a sign of the times, or perhaps many fans have simply moved on. Whatever the reason, it's clear that things are not the same anymore. I hope they can find a way to bounce back, but I fear their best days might be behind them. Especially with such a great record released, the public excitement seems to fizzle out quicker than we all thought, as well. 

I think I'm going to stop posting here altogether. I was already deterred from it in 2016, and again in 2022, but jumped the gun this year in anticipation of a fantastic European tour with a new record. It didn't turn out that way. 
    This should be a more positive place, as well. My own negativity and disappointment doesn't help it. 
    See you (perhaps) at a show in the future. 
  • Options

At this point, it's just comical that no one is buying these tickets, even at a reduced price. In 1995, PJ tried to go against Ticketmaster; 29 years later, their European-based fans are turning on them. It almost feels like that line in the Batman comic: "You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain." In a less dramatic fashion, of course.

I would have never thought PJ would suffer such a loss of popularity. It goes to show how quickly the music industry can change. Back in the 90s, their concerts were always sold out within hours. Even in the 2010's. Now, even with reduced prices, they can't seem to fill the venues. It's disappointing to see a band that once had such a loyal fan base struggling like this.

Maybe it’s a sign of the times, or perhaps many fans have simply moved on. Whatever the reason, it's clear that things are not the same anymore. I hope they can find a way to bounce back, but I fear their best days might be behind them. Especially with such a great record released, the public excitement seems to fizzle out quicker than we all thought, as well. 

I think I'm going to stop posting here altogether. I was already deterred from it in 2016, and again in 2022, but jumped the gun this year in anticipation of a fantastic European tour with a new record. It didn't turn out that way. 
    This should be a more positive place, as well. My own negativity and disappointment doesn't help it. 
    Can we stop talking about pearl jam vs ticketmaster.
    It was a long time a go and they lost dismally. Get ago it.
  • Options
    Rossdoc81Rossdoc81 Posts: 26
    Most of the tickets for Barcelona are still over €170 .
    The average salary in Spain is €29 000.
    It's not hard to figure out why no one is buying tickets.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,636

Batman comic? Isn’t is strictly from the second Nolan-film. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    seanclax said:

With 170 euro ticketprices, there is no better time to talk about it
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    seanclax said:

Don't buy a ticket then.
  • Options
    seanclax said:
    seanclax said:

Don't buy a ticket then.
    Don’t hassle people who choose to talk about Ticketmaster then.