Options

European Tour Sales = Desaster

Comments

• Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,065
    PJNB said:
    I wonder if they even play Berlin next time. It was so odd leaving out Vienna, Prague, and even Amsterdam this year. 

Probably was part of insurance settlement from last time that they couldn’t come back for x years or else it would have been a postponement and not an insured cancellation.  Just a guess. 
    Ya I remember reading that and will be interested to see how the next euro tour plays out. 
  • Options
    Cal.PJ.CCal.PJ.C Posts: 191
    Zen23 said:
    I read through the interview with Eddie Vedder that appeared in the music magazine Visions. Among other things, he was asked about ticket prices in Europe. I then listened to the Visions editors' podcast, which was published a few days ago on June 26, 2024. In it, the editors - including the editor-in-chief of Visions - spend 30 minutes categorizing Eddie Vedder's statements on ticket prices in Europe.

First of all, the original interview questions and answers on the subject of ticket prices.

Eddie, there has been a lot of excitement in recent weeks about the ticket prices for the upcoming concerts. In Germany, tickets cost 175 euros, and in some categories they were significantly more expensive due to so-called dynamic pricing. Didn't you actually always want to do it differently and make it fairer than everyone else?
    Unfortunately, that's more complicated. After corona, everyone wanted to go back on tour as quickly as possible, and why not? That doesn't apply to us, but many colleagues are dependent on the income from tours for their livelihood. As a result, production costs have gotten completely out of hand. You can hardly find a crew anymore, there are problems organizing buses, stages, PA systems, venues. People say: "If you don't pay my price, no problem, someone else will pay it." This even applies to service providers that we have been working with for over 30 years.

Can you still understand that some fans in the forums seem to feel downright cheated?
    If we can save money, we pass it on to the fans. But it's essential for us to at least cover our costs. If we had to pay extra and couldn't earn any money at all, we wouldn't go on tour any more.

And now the classification and assessment of his statements by the Visions editors from the podcast and partly from the article itself. Including the editor-in-chief of Visions.

- The price of 175 euros is disproportionately high.

- In the end, ticket prices are also simply a question of the artist fee.

- Even if you have an audience that is wealthy enough to pay 175 euros every two years, that doesn't justify the current prices.

- Since Pearl Jam no longer play 3-hour concerts, the question was raised as to whether Pearl Jam still have the value for money with these ticket prices or whether there is a disproportion.

- On the subject of the new stage design. What has always characterized the band was very long concerts, with variation, joy of playing. Pearl Jam don't need the new visuals or a "show". If this new concert production now leads to a ticket costing 40 or 50 euros more because it all has to be paid for somehow, then you shouldn't be surprised that fans say that the tour is taking place without them.

- Eddie Vedder's answers to the reasons for the high ticket prices are weak. You would have liked him to be clearer. Like Bruce Springsteen. That it's also fair to say that you want to improve your pension. Because you won't be on stage forever. Another example is Fat Mike, who was interviewed by the Visions editors for the NOFX farewell tour. He clearly said: "Yes, the ticket prices in Germany are 30 euros higher than what everyone expected, but that's my pension."

- It was Pearl Jam who stood up to the Ticketmaster monopoly back then, albeit ultimately in vain. The band's unique selling point always seemed to be that they approached things differently to similarly successful colleagues. In this way, they have retained the charm of a multi-platinum underground band over the decades. Pearl Jam are not Taylor Swift or Adele, who are seen as having astronomical ticket prices. The following thought comes to mind: At almost 60, the band members no longer want to play as many concerts as they used to, but want to make just as much money
    Would've loved the interviewer to reply with so why are bands like foo fighters only charging 100 a ticket
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,952
    Cal.PJ.C said:
    Zen23 said:
    I read through the interview with Eddie Vedder that appeared in the music magazine Visions. Among other things, he was asked about ticket prices in Europe. I then listened to the Visions editors' podcast, which was published a few days ago on June 26, 2024. In it, the editors - including the editor-in-chief of Visions - spend 30 minutes categorizing Eddie Vedder's statements on ticket prices in Europe.

First of all, the original interview questions and answers on the subject of ticket prices.

Eddie, there has been a lot of excitement in recent weeks about the ticket prices for the upcoming concerts. In Germany, tickets cost 175 euros, and in some categories they were significantly more expensive due to so-called dynamic pricing. Didn't you actually always want to do it differently and make it fairer than everyone else?
    Unfortunately, that's more complicated. After corona, everyone wanted to go back on tour as quickly as possible, and why not? That doesn't apply to us, but many colleagues are dependent on the income from tours for their livelihood. As a result, production costs have gotten completely out of hand. You can hardly find a crew anymore, there are problems organizing buses, stages, PA systems, venues. People say: "If you don't pay my price, no problem, someone else will pay it." This even applies to service providers that we have been working with for over 30 years.

Can you still understand that some fans in the forums seem to feel downright cheated?
    If we can save money, we pass it on to the fans. But it's essential for us to at least cover our costs. If we had to pay extra and couldn't earn any money at all, we wouldn't go on tour any more.

And now the classification and assessment of his statements by the Visions editors from the podcast and partly from the article itself. Including the editor-in-chief of Visions.

- Even if you have an audience that is wealthy enough to pay 175 euros every two years, that doesn't justify the current prices.

- Since Pearl Jam no longer play 3-hour concerts, the question was raised as to whether Pearl Jam still have the value for money with these ticket prices or whether there is a disproportion.

- On the subject of the new stage design. What has always characterized the band was very long concerts, with variation, joy of playing. Pearl Jam don't need the new visuals or a "show". If this new concert production now leads to a ticket costing 40 or 50 euros more because it all has to be paid for somehow, then you shouldn't be surprised that fans say that the tour is taking place without them.

- Eddie Vedder's answers to the reasons for the high ticket prices are weak. You would have liked him to be clearer. Like Bruce Springsteen. That it's also fair to say that you want to improve your pension. Because you won't be on stage forever. Another example is Fat Mike, who was interviewed by the Visions editors for the NOFX farewell tour. He clearly said: "Yes, the ticket prices in Germany are 30 euros higher than what everyone expected, but that's my pension."

- It was Pearl Jam who stood up to the Ticketmaster monopoly back then, albeit ultimately in vain. The band's unique selling point always seemed to be that they approached things differently to similarly successful colleagues. In this way, they have retained the charm of a multi-platinum underground band over the decades. Pearl Jam are not Taylor Swift or Adele, who are seen as having astronomical ticket prices. The following thought comes to mind: At almost 60, the band members no longer want to play as many concerts as they used to, but want to make just as much money
    Would've loved the interviewer to reply with so why are bands like foo fighters only charging 100 a ticket
    economies of scale? Pack out stadiums and you can charge a touch less when doing multiple shows? I mean the foos did what 7 UK based shows? maybe even more
  • Options
    pdalowsky said:
    Cal.PJ.C said:
    Zen23 said:

economies of scale? Pack out stadiums and you can charge a touch less when doing multiple shows? I mean the foos did what 7 UK based shows? maybe even more
    Okay but then for artists of similar popularity, that do arenas and not stadiums ..why are they able to keep the prices down? Why is it pearl jam charging extortionate prices...do pearl jam get charged a special production cost more expensive than other artists? It makes no sense
  • Options
    RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,516
    Froggie said:
    just_one said:
    I think in future I will be trying for cities I've never visited before so can have a city break somewhere new if the show is cancelled 

Got to pay the balance of my new york trip in the next couple of weeks and not sure if its worth it having been a couple of times before 
    The problem is that the european cities they go are always the same.
    Not true. I have a rule to ”always” go to s new place. And it has worked so far
     They mostly are tbf. They are never not in Berlin as an example. Every tour going back to 1996. Even 1992. 
    Well as it turns out they are not in Berlin in 2024.
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • Options
    Cal.PJ.C said:
    pdalowsky said:
    Cal.PJ.C said:
    Zen23 said:

Okay but then for artists of similar popularity, that do arenas and not stadiums ..why are they able to keep the prices down? Why is it pearl jam charging extortionate prices...do pearl jam get charged a special production cost more expensive than other artists? It makes no sense
    Really I do not know, but i think when you take a huge production on the road like this one, for 9 shows, visiting several countries, and also dealing with the extra costs imposed by Brexit, the costs mount up and there are less tickets to spread the cost across. 

I mean K of L are over here too and playing a ton of shows in the UK alone. That has to make things easier. They work longer tours perhaps for a smaller fee per show. But again i really have no idea how it all works. 
  • Options
    Zen23Zen23 Posts: 414
    Whoever in the responsible chain of band - management - tour management - concert promoter - ticket seller came up with the completely (to me) unusual and crazy idea of charging an exaggerated uniform price right up to the back row of the upper tier at the start of ticket sales has lost touch with reality and should be fired.
  • Options
    FroggieFroggie Cork Posts: 229
    Froggie said:
    just_one said:
    I think in future I will be trying for cities I've never visited before so can have a city break somewhere new if the show is cancelled 

Got to pay the balance of my new york trip in the next couple of weeks and not sure if its worth it having been a couple of times before 
    The problem is that the european cities they go are always the same.
    Not true. I have a rule to ”always” go to s new place. And it has worked so far
     They mostly are tbf. They are never not in Berlin as an example. Every tour going back to 1996. Even 1992. 
    Well as it turns out they are not in Berlin in 2024.
    I lolled even though it’s beyond sad. 
  • Options
    pdalowsky said:
    Cal.PJ.C said:
    pdalowsky said:
    Cal.PJ.C said:
    Zen23 said:

Really I do not know, but i think when you take a huge production on the road like this one, for 9 shows, visiting several countries, and also dealing with the extra costs imposed by Brexit, the costs mount up and there are less tickets to spread the cost across. 

I mean K of L are over here too and playing a ton of shows in the UK alone. That has to make things easier. They work longer tours perhaps for a smaller fee per show. But again i really have no idea how it all works. 
    It's sad because its soured a lot of fans towards them
  • Options
    Zen23 said:
    Whoever in the responsible chain of band - management - tour management - concert promoter - ticket seller came up with the completely (to me) unusual and crazy idea of charging an exaggerated uniform price right up to the back row of the upper tier at the start of ticket sales has lost touch with reality and should be fired.
    Agreed however it seems Ed is defending this nonsense
  • Options
    axeljohanaxeljohan Posts: 436
    edited July 1
    No one knows, how it is calculated in detail. But saying "If we can save money, we pass it on to the fans. But it's essential for us to at least cover our costs. If we had to pay extra and couldn't earn any money at all, we wouldn't go on tour any more" makes it sound like they have to charge 175 EUR for every single seat at Waldbühne to break even or make a small profit. And I highly doubt that this is the case.

My take: they charged so much, because they thought people would buy the tickets without hesitation (which is fine). People didn't (which is also fine), so we will see where this will put us on the "next tour".
  • Options
    Zen23Zen23 Posts: 414
    edited July 1
    I doubt that too. Eventim would never have lowered the prices after just ten hours of presales when they realized that the 175 euros in the upper tier would backfire. If it were as dramatic as Mr. Vedder reports, his entire profit would be gone with this Eventim move. After only ten hours of presales. So please.
    Post edited by Zen23 on
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    I wonder if they even play Berlin next time. It was so odd leaving out Vienna, Prague, and even Amsterdam this year. 

Probably was part of insurance settlement from last time that they couldn’t come back for x years or else it would have been a postponement and not an insured cancellation.  Just a guess. 
    wow if thats true they're gonna run out of countries for the next euro tour at this rate
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,626
    edited July 1
    I find it hard to believe someone wanting to be at one price point want's to lower it. Bigger chance bigger cities like Berlin gets one show going forward for €175 than two for €100. But that is not an educated take. Just don't see people turning back when they move down the dark alley of greedy prices.

Just like they don't wanna move back from a greedy 45-50 euros for their single LP album.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    hairgrowth2001hairgrowth2001 Posts: 360
    Pj Premium aside, they need to go with tiered pricing. The current price point is fine for about 25% of the tickets but price needs to go down for the seats that aren’t considered as desirable.
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,793
    It's not fine to charge 170 a ticket anywhere 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    hairgrowth2001hairgrowth2001 Posts: 360
    I think that the majority of fans are happy paying that price for good seats. Of course we all want great seats for free.
  • Options
    DL136722DL136722 Not sure... Posts: 659
    Zen23 said:

Nailed it! 
    Tweeter Center - Aug 29, 2000;Tweeter Center - Aug 30, 2000;Allstate Arena - Oct 09, 2000;Pepsi Arena - Apr 29, 2003;Bryce-Jordan Center - May 03, 2003;Bell Center - Jun 29, 2003;Tweeter Center - Jul 02, 2003;Tweeter Center - Jul 03, 2003;Tweeter Center - Jul 11, 2003;Tweeter Center at the Waterfront - Jul 05, 2003;Tweeter Center at the Waterfront - Jul 06, 2003;Madison Square Garden - Jul 08, 2003;Madison Square Garden - Jul 09, 2003;TD Banknorth Garden - May 24, 2006;TD Banknorth Garden - May 25, 2006;Fleet Center - Sept 28, 2004;Fleet Center - Sept 29, 2004;Pepsi Arena - May 12, 2006 New England Dodge Music Arena - May 13, 2006;Grant Park - Aug 05, 2007;Bonnaroo - Jun 14, 2008;Dodge Music Center - Jun 27, 2008;Tweeter Center - Jun 28, 2008;Tweeter Center - Jun 30, 2008 XL Arena - May 15, 2010;TD Garden - May 17, 2010;Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sept 03, 2011;Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 04, 2011 Corel Centre - Sep 16, 2005;Colisee Pepsi Arena - Sep 20, 2005; Wrigley Field - July 19, 2013; DCU Center - Oct 15, 2013; DCU Center - Oct 16, 2013; Fenway Park - August 5, 2016; Fenway Park - August 7, 2016

Oh Dude!
  • Options
    vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 870
    Wrong, it’s fine charging a lot more for the best seats.  You get what you pay for, that’s how the world works.  We were just spoiled for so long with PJ Ten Club tickets when they were the best in house. 
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,626
    vedpunk said:
    Wrong, it’s fine charging a lot more for the best seats.  You get what you pay for, that’s how the world works.  We were just spoiled for so long with PJ Ten Club tickets when they were the best in house. 
    Wrong. It's fine keeping the price under 170 dollars for even the best tickets. How you treat others, affects how you are seen - that's how the world works. We were just being treated pretty fairly for so long with PJ Ten Club tickets when they were the best in the house.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    vedpunk said:
    Wrong. It's fine keeping the price under 170 dollars for even the best tickets. How you treat others, affects how you are seen - that's how the world works. We were just being treated pretty fairly for so long with PJ Ten Club tickets when they were the best in the house.
     Sorry but no other band of PJ’s caliber priced GA and premier fan club tickets so low by subsidizing them through the 1 tier price system .  It was great while it lasted but eventually it would fail. 
  • Options
    edited July 1
    vedpunk said:
    vedpunk said:
     Sorry but no other band of PJ’s caliber priced GA and premier fan club tickets so low by subsidizing them through the 1 tier price system .  It was great while it lasted but eventually it would fail. 
    When did we get cheap PJ tickets for the last time?. They were at the high end of ticket prices at least since 2009 in Europe. Maybe global superstars like Bruce charged more, but I think that was it. And now, they thought they can charge the same prices like Bruce and it looks like the audience did not like that.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,633
    I stopped attending Pearl Jam concerts quite awhile ago.  A lot of it is price-related.  I have the means to afford it for sure, but I am old enough to know the opportunity-cost on spending that kind of money on a consumable ticket.  I can see really good live music for a fraction of the price of a pearl jam ticket.  Plus not have to travel and assume the costs associated with that
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:
    I stopped attending Pearl Jam concerts quite awhile ago.  A lot of it is price-related.  I have the means to afford it for sure, but I am old enough to know the opportunity-cost on spending that kind of money on a consumable ticket.  I can see really good live music for a fraction of the price of a pearl jam ticket.  Plus not have to travel and assume the costs associated with that
    Thing is, to me at the very least, they are the finest live band on the planet. 
  • Options
    pdalowsky said:
    MayDay10 said:
    Sure, that is why they were able to charge high ticket prices. But to state we had low ticket prices in the past is beyond me.
  • Options
    HK103094HK103094 Posts: 32
    pdalowsky said:
    MayDay10 said:
    Agree with that.
    2000 Oslo
    2007 Venezia
    2010 London
    2012 Oslo
    2014 Milano
    2018 Milano
    2018 Krakow
    2019 Barolo (Ed)
    2022 Berlin
    2022 Frankfurt
    2022 Krakow
    2024 London

• Options
    axeljohan said:
    vedpunk said:
    vedpunk said:
    When did we get cheap PJ tickets for the last time?. They were at the high end of ticket prices at least since 2009 in Europe. Maybe global superstars like Bruce charged more, but I think that was it. And now, they thought they can charge the same prices like Bruce and it looks like the audience did not like that.
    The 1 price system provides some lucky fans with the best seats at far lower than market value but also gives some unlucky fans the worst seats at higher than market value.  That’s the socialist system they’ve run for decades.  My point is it’s time to move to a tiered pricing system that allows us the choice to pay what we are comfortable with based on the level of seats.  
  • Options
    Good news for you: we had a non-socialist-system in Place for Berlin, 10c-seats were mediocre for all (both sections are sold as obstructed view for other concerts). If you wanted the best seats in the house you had to pay TM-Premium for up to 350 EUR.
  • Options
    OfThePearlOfThePearl Posts: 681
    I don't remember the exact wording now, but I believe the one tier pricing was in place because PJ did not want only those with more money to have a chance at the best seats. They wanted all their fans, regardless of means, to have a chance to have close seats in prime locations. They didn't want just the "rich and famous" to have those seats show after show.

But yes, one tier pricing Does mean that the back of arena seats are subsidizing the front.
    Not sure how to address that. Maybe just a 2nd tier price for the very farthest/highest level would be a bit more fair.
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,473
    I don't remember the exact wording now, but I believe the one tier pricing was in place because PJ did not want only those with more money to have a chance at the best seats. They wanted all their fans, regardless of means, to have a chance to have close seats in prime locations. They didn't want just the "rich and famous" to have those seats show after show.

But yes, one tier pricing Does mean that the back of arena seats are subsidizing the front.
    Not sure how to address that. Maybe just a 2nd tier price for the very farthest/highest level would be a bit more fair.
    This only works if the good seats are priced like bad seats more than bad seats being priced like good seats. Once it becomes clear that you have to charge a premium you really have no choice but to start tiering.

Not saying this was their rationale but in theory anyway.