Options

European Tour Sales = Desaster

Comments

• Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,848
    seanclax said:
    seanclax said:

So, ticket prices have gone down in Barcelona as well, with hardly any takers.

At this point, it's just comical that no one is buying these tickets, even at a reduced price. In 1995, PJ tried to go against Ticketmaster; 29 years later, their European-based fans are turning on them. It almost feels like that line in the Batman comic: "You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain." In a less dramatic fashion, of course.

I would have never thought PJ would suffer such a loss of popularity. It goes to show how quickly the music industry can change. Back in the 90s, their concerts were always sold out within hours. Even in the 2010's. Now, even with reduced prices, they can't seem to fill the venues. It's disappointing to see a band that once had such a loyal fan base struggling like this.

Maybe it’s a sign of the times, or perhaps many fans have simply moved on. Whatever the reason, it's clear that things are not the same anymore. I hope they can find a way to bounce back, but I fear their best days might be behind them. Especially with such a great record released, the public excitement seems to fizzle out quicker than we all thought, as well. 

I think I'm going to stop posting here altogether. I was already deterred from it in 2016, and again in 2022, but jumped the gun this year in anticipation of a fantastic European tour with a new record. It didn't turn out that way. 
    This should be a more positive place, as well. My own negativity and disappointment doesn't help it. 
    See you (perhaps) at a show in the future. 
    Can we stop talking about pearl jam vs ticketmaster.
    It was a long time a go and they lost dismally. Get ago it.
    With 170 euro ticketprices, there is no better time to talk about it
    Don't buy a ticket then.
    Maybe take a time out. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    seanclaxseanclax Posts: 422
    seanclax said:
    seanclax said:

So, ticket prices have gone down in Barcelona as well, with hardly any takers.

At this point, it's just comical that no one is buying these tickets, even at a reduced price. In 1995, PJ tried to go against Ticketmaster; 29 years later, their European-based fans are turning on them. It almost feels like that line in the Batman comic: "You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain." In a less dramatic fashion, of course.

I would have never thought PJ would suffer such a loss of popularity. It goes to show how quickly the music industry can change. Back in the 90s, their concerts were always sold out within hours. Even in the 2010's. Now, even with reduced prices, they can't seem to fill the venues. It's disappointing to see a band that once had such a loyal fan base struggling like this.

Maybe it’s a sign of the times, or perhaps many fans have simply moved on. Whatever the reason, it's clear that things are not the same anymore. I hope they can find a way to bounce back, but I fear their best days might be behind them. Especially with such a great record released, the public excitement seems to fizzle out quicker than we all thought, as well. 

I think I'm going to stop posting here altogether. I was already deterred from it in 2016, and again in 2022, but jumped the gun this year in anticipation of a fantastic European tour with a new record. It didn't turn out that way. 
    This should be a more positive place, as well. My own negativity and disappointment doesn't help it. 
    See you (perhaps) at a show in the future. 
    Can we stop talking about pearl jam vs ticketmaster.
    It was a long time a go and they lost dismally. Get ago it.
    With 170 euro ticketprices, there is no better time to talk about it
    Don't buy a ticket then.
    Don’t hassle people who choose to talk about Ticketmaster then. 
    Lol like I said before about you, your just here to argue.

And the guy was talking about 95 and taking TM to court which they lost. So for another 17 years ticket prices were fine. Buy now it's suddenly and issue and people bring out the court case. It means nothing 
  • Options
    So your opinion is valid and other people's isn't? 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    edited July 4
    So your opinion is valid and other people's isn't? 
    Yeah thats what I said wasn't it
  • Options
    D-DayD-Day Far From Home Posts: 199
    edited July 4
    Rossdoc81 said:
    Most of the tickets for Barcelona are still over €170 .
    The average salary in Spain is €29 000.
    It's not hard to figure out why no one is buying tickets.
    Would not buy anything now. 
    It’s still overprized.
    Check your prefered seats and 
    remember Berlin (close to showdate) and Manchester > showdate 5am:
    The 160£ tickets for about 80£! 
    About 80£ was the „Pearl Jam-ENTRY-Price“ and all on top
    was only there to kill scalping and a moneymaker - fans paid for that.
    I can’t say when the Manchester 50% drop started exactly but that‘s what I have seen with my own eyes on screen 5am - plus worse things too.
    Post edited by D-Day on
  • Options
    edited July 4
    B1 right now - the whole back of the arena is back?! Prices still on wait and see. Maybe it will happen here in Barcelona:
    The Super Sale incl. Pearl Jam for TEN€

Post edited by D-Day on
  • Options
    Zen23Zen23 Posts: 418
    They only took the entire back third of the venue off sale for the second evening. I wonder if that will ever come back. Or whether the back third of the venue will actually remain empty.
  • Options
    edited July 4
    As I remember the whole back was off for both dates on screen yesterday. 

Edit: Or my view was only on Saturday because I thought Monday can’t be better…;) 

Anyway B2 on Monday could offer some 1€ seats and give-away tickets.
    Post edited by D-Day on
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,964
    and we are still talking about ticket prices.....

surely everyone has had their say by now, is there really anything further to add?
  • Options
    edited July 4
    I think all is visible and obvious so far.
    The only open point: will prices drop below „normal“ ENTRY and if so how far…
    The answer should give a view 1-2 hours before doors.

Pictured: the cheapest tickets for B1 right now.
    Block 213 vanished at 80€ and 214 short after.

Post edited by D-Day on
  • Options
    vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 872
    They could have just played a sold out arena tour in the Southeast US and avoided this Euro shit show.  It’s probably what will happen in the future.  
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,644
    edited July 4
    vedpunk said:
    They could have just played a sold out arena tour in the Southeast US and avoided this Euro shit show.  It’s probably what will happen in the future.  
    Or avoided the ”shit show” by playing sold out arenas in Europe instead of the spring US tour. Skipping that one and focused on more of Europe would have been the best. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    edited July 4
    Yeah illness doesn't happen in the SE of the USA clearly 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,821
    vedpunk said:
    USA!!USA!!
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    They also could have played a sold out arena tour in Europe like every other single tour if they didn't play games  with the prices and were satisfied with the same profit as every other year 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    smile6680smile6680 Posts: 360
    edited July 4
    Rossdoc81 said:
    It's actually hard to read through some of these threads on here. You really can't say, or even hint, that Pearl Jam may be doing anything negative. You are just told "be grateful they are touring, they don't owe you anything" which are pretty meaningless phrases that never address any of the issues people raise. So from now on should we just accept everything PJ does no matter how shitty it is and not point it out? 

Here we have someone who paid €175 for a ticket and got €161 back and people on here seem to think that's OK? Obviously you can't blame the band for this, but it does demonstrate the mind-set of some people on this forum who's immediate reaction is to jump in and attack anyone who makes any kind of point that paints the band in a negative light.

I also think there's a clear divide on here between us Europeans who are dealing with these cancellations in real life and see this tour as a f**k up from the beginning, and people in the US that are thousands of miles away just typing stuff into a computer having no idea of what's going on over here.

I assume the Taylor Swift forums reacts the same way when someone posts something about Taylor doing something wrong.
    I'm in the U.S and I agree with you.
    Post edited by smile6680 on
  • Options
    Yeah illness doesn't happen in the SE of the USA clearly 
    It better not happen with their fucked up healthcare system over there.

• Options
    They also could have played a sold out arena tour in Europe like every other single tour if they didn't play games  with the prices and were satisfied with the same profit as every other year 
    Correct.
    Would of sold much better
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,611
    23scidoo said:
    vedpunk said:
    USA!!USA!!
    Well… at least in football it is. 

1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    edited July 4
    Just a Prediction: this thread will be closed forever - after a Super Sale incl. 1€ tickets on Monday night. 

IF: You will see a kind of Super Bowl on board here.

Post edited by D-Day on
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 28,066
    They obviously overpriced their tickets.  Hopefully the band learns from this experience and tours Europe again next summer.  Maybe they could do something similar to the 2000 tour.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    D-Day said:
    Just a Prediction: this thread will be closed forever - after a Super Sale incl. 1€ tickets on Monday night. 

IF: You will see a kind of Super Bowl on board here.

I've never seen anyone cry so much over 9 euros
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,921
    Rossdoc81 said:
    It's actually hard to read through some of these threads on here. You really can't say, or even hint, that Pearl Jam may be doing anything negative. 
    Speaking only for myself, what bothers me is not "anything negative." It's the cynical, personal attacks-- the notion that Pearl Jam are greedy assholes who don't care about their fans. It belies more than three decades of this band's history. Having said that, people are obviously free to believe that Pearl Jam don't care about their fans-- but then what the fuck are you doing paying them money to belong to their fan club? It's masochistic.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    Rossdoc81 said:
    It's actually hard to read through some of these threads on here. You really can't say, or even hint, that Pearl Jam may be doing anything negative. 
    Speaking only for myself, what bothers me is not "anything negative." It's the cynical, personal attacks-- the notion that Pearl Jam are greedy assholes who don't care about their fans. It belies more than three decades of this band's history. Having said that, people are obviously free to believe that Pearl Jam don't care about their fans-- but then what the fuck are you doing paying them money to belong to their fan club? It's masochistic.
    People pay to be there when they play live, cos it means so much, such a perfect moment that you look forward and save up for.
    They cancel to many gigs nowadays, it's a fact and it hurts.
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,921
    seanclax said:
    BF25394 said:
    Rossdoc81 said:
    People pay to be there when they play live, cos it means so much, such a perfect moment that you look forward and save up for.
    They cancel to many gigs nowadays, it's a fact and it hurts.
    Does it still mean that much to people if they're watching them thinking, "I hate these out-of-touch assholes"? I just can't relate to that. If there's an artist that I'm that cynical about, I don't see myself enjoying that show very much.

I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options

💡

Adjustment of the topic header by the topic starter would be a fitting thing - before shutdown.

2024 European Tour - Ticket Sales Strategy

• Options
    matt84matt84 Posts: 661
    It’s certainly going to be interesting to see what the tickets cost is in the EU/UK next time around.
  • Options
    axeljohanaxeljohan Posts: 438
    matt84 said:
    It’s certainly going to be interesting to see what the tickets cost is in the EU/UK next time around.
    and which cities and venues they book. 
  • Options
    MioceneMiocene Swansea, Wales Posts: 5
    matt84 said:
    Agreed! Would assume 2026 at the earliest but purely a guess.
  • Options
    axeljohan said:
    matt84 said:
    and which cities and venues they book. 
    Could see the uk missing out next time.