European Tour Sales = Desaster

Tons of unsold seat everywhere in Europe du Princig Policy.
Event in Berlin (Have a look at eventeam.de, nothing is sold event at the cheapest rates)
Poor atmosphere....

«13456721

Comments

  • just_onejust_one Lisbon Posts: 1,925
    yeah barcelona and berlin not being sold out is very weird. barcelona has so many unsold tickets
  • Gregeje76Gregeje76 Germany Posts: 15
    Currently Berlin 1 & 2 upper sector completely unsold, I assume they will decrease the prices soon as I am pretty sure they cannot sell them for 175€. But hope the shows will be sold out at the end as it would be strange to see PJ at Waldbühne with 1/3 empty seats
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,727
    Waiting until the middle of February to sell Europe was not a great idea it would seem. I am not sure how many more tickets would have sold if they announced this in early December but the shorter notice coupled with the high prices has left most shows with thousands of seats left. 

    I remember back in December when people were mocking Europeans when they were complaining about needing to know the dates to plan for the following year. Looks like a lot of them planned without PJ.  
  • Hello Friends.  Pearl Jam is the soundtrack to my life.  Born and raised in So Cal.  Today was the ticket sale for the upcoming 2024 tour.  Anything Ticketmaster has to do with turns into a pile of shit.  I know it's not PJ.  I know PJ wants what's best for their fans, however, the bots and the scalpers are a difficult cancer to beat.  Just a blue collar guy who seeks PJ live as rehab from the grind of life.  And todays events with the ticket sale has been a travesty.  A general fuck you to Ticketmaster and all ticket resale businesses. All the REAL PJ FANS will be in the upper decks at the LA forum.  Nothing but corporate greed will be in the decent seats.  GREEN DISEASE.  Take care.
  • JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,434
    PJNB said:
    Waiting until the middle of February to sell Europe was not a great idea it would seem. I am not sure how many more tickets would have sold if they announced this in early December but the shorter notice coupled with the high prices has left most shows with thousands of seats left. 

    I remember back in December when people were mocking Europeans when they were complaining about needing to know the dates to plan for the following year. Looks like a lot of them planned without PJ.  
    Yep, absolutely true. I‘m one of those committing to other plans because I couldn’t/ didn’t want to wait any longer. I don’t regret my choice 
  • RyanRyan Posts: 1,016
    Berlin and Barcelona also traditionally get one show per tour, not two (exception being Berlin 2012 when they played the arena).  That venue in Berlin is bigger than an arena.  May have been better off doing single shows in those cities.  As a North American I also would have gone to EU if we didn’t have so many options for shows that on this side of the pond this year.  I’m guessing fewer North Americans are going over there in peak travel months when we have many less experienced options for PJ shows this year.  
    2003 - June 15 Fargo
    2005 - Sept 1 George, Sept 8 Winnipeg
    2006 - May 9/10 Toronto, June 26/27 St. Paul, July 22/23 George, Oct 21/22 Mountain View
    2007 - Aug 2/5 Chicago
    2008 - June 22 Washington, June 24/25 New York
    2009 - Aug 21 Toronto, Aug 23/24 Chicago, Sept 21/22 Seattle, Oct 27/28/30/31 Philadelphia
    2010 - May 15 Hartford, May 17 Boston, Oct 23/24 Mountain View
    2011 - Sept 3/4 Alpine Valley, Sept 11/12 Toronto, Sept 17 Winnipeg, Sept 19 Saskatoon
    2012 - Sept 30 Missoula
    2013 - July 16 London, July 19 Chicago, Oct 12 Buffalo, Dec 2 Calgary, Dec 4 Vancouver, Dec 6 Seattle
    2014 - Oct 16 Detroit, Oct 19 St. Paul, Oct 20 Milwaukee
    2015 - Sept 23 (Colbert)/Sept 26, New York
    2016 - Apr 28/29 Philadelphia, May 10/12 Toronto, Aug 20/22 Chicago
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,867
    Harder to sell merch for three days when you only play one show. 
    ___________________________________________

    "...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,727
    Ryan said:
    Berlin and Barcelona also traditionally get one show per tour, not two (exception being Berlin 2012 when they played the arena).  That venue in Berlin is bigger than an arena.  May have been better off doing single shows in those cities.  As a North American I also would have gone to EU if we didn’t have so many options for shows that on this side of the pond this year.  I’m guessing fewer North Americans are going over there in peak travel months when we have many less experienced options for PJ shows this year.  
    Thats true as well. I thought they would have seen the writing on the wall with how well St Paul sold last year but I guess not. 
  • dani11dani11 uk Posts: 36
    PJNB said:
    Waiting until the middle of February to sell Europe was not a great idea it would seem. I am not sure how many more tickets would have sold if they announced this in early December but the shorter notice coupled with the high prices has left most shows with thousands of seats left. 

    I remember back in December when people were mocking Europeans when they were complaining about needing to know the dates to plan for the following year. Looks like a lot of them planned without PJ.  
    Exactly this. On top of that, hotels and flights generally being more expensive in Feb vs Dec
  • mikesbrimikesbri Toronto Posts: 832
    the UEFA Euro is also going on in Germany, maybe taking away from the PJ plus high ticket costs.

    Barrie 98, Toronto 00, Toronto 03, Buffalo 03, Toronto 05, Hamilton 05, Kitchener 05, Toronto 06 I II, Lolla 07, Vedder Toronto I II, Toronto 09, Philly Oct 30 & 31 2009, Buffalo 2010, Cleveland 2010, Toronto I II 2011, Hamilton 2011, Ottawa 2011, London 2013, Buffalo 2013, Pittsburgh 2013, FLL 2016, Miami 2016, Tor I & II 2016, Barcelona 2018, Toronto 2022, Ottawa 2022, Quebec City 2022, Hamilton 2022
  • LizJLizJ Posts: 334
    JPPJ84 said:
    PJNB said:
    Waiting until the middle of February to sell Europe was not a great idea it would seem. I am not sure how many more tickets would have sold if they announced this in early December but the shorter notice coupled with the high prices has left most shows with thousands of seats left. 

    I remember back in December when people were mocking Europeans when they were complaining about needing to know the dates to plan for the following year. Looks like a lot of them planned without PJ.  
    Yep, absolutely true. I‘m one of those committing to other plans because I couldn’t/ didn’t want to wait any longer. I don’t regret my choice 
    With everything that has been going on surrounding this tour, I am sure that you have made the right decision for yourself. 
    But might still be tough, when the tour will have finally started, realizing that you are not there with us.  :|
  • marumarukomarumaruko Frankfurt / Salzburg / Calgary / Hamilton Posts: 58
    PJNB said:
    Waiting until the middle of February to sell Europe was not a great idea it would seem. I am not sure how many more tickets would have sold if they announced this in early December but the shorter notice coupled with the high prices has left most shows with thousands of seats left. 

    I remember back in December when people were mocking Europeans when they were complaining about needing to know the dates to plan for the following year. Looks like a lot of them planned without PJ.  
    Oh definitely. With tighter budgets pre-planning is necessary and a lot of Europeans prefer to buy tickets further in advance. The Euro Cup in football is another reason for unlucky timing. 
    Now I'm just worried that they might cancel one of the gigs in Barcelona and Berlin, if demand keeps the way it is. Would be heartbreaking, as well. 
  • Gregeje76Gregeje76 Germany Posts: 15
    now 1st significant price drop for Berlin at Eventim. Upper section outer right and left for 127€ instead 175€ before……
  • Zen23Zen23 Posts: 316
    edited February 23
    Wow. Really. You can see how much they miscalculated. After more than twelve hours, 99 percent of the tickets in the upper tier were still available. And we're talking about around a third of the venue. It's ridiculous that they only lowered the outermost areas to 127 euros. The entire upper tier is in dire need of that. 
  • JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,434
    Zen23 said:
    Wow. Really. You can see how much they miscalculated. After more than twelve hours, 99 percent of the tickets in the upper tier were still available. And we're talking about around a third of the venue. It's ridiculous that they only lowered the outermost areas to 127 euros. The entire upper tier is in dire need of that. 
    I think eventually this will happen because anyone still interested will wait now 
  • Gregeje76Gregeje76 Germany Posts: 15
    JPPJ84 said:
    Zen23 said:
    Wow. Really. You can see how much they miscalculated. After more than twelve hours, 99 percent of the tickets in the upper tier were still available. And we're talking about around a third of the venue. It's ridiculous that they only lowered the outermost areas to 127 euros. The entire upper tier is in dire need of that. 
    I think eventually this will happen because anyone still interested will wait now 
    I think you are right. They will never sell these seats for 175€. We could already see the first rows on the left are sold now for 127€
  • willwallwillwall Posts: 16
    I’m so happy that this has backfired on them. 

    Things that are ok in the US, doesn’t mean it’s ok to do here. 

    Manchester is 50% sold. London is easily less than 50% sold. You reap what you sow at the end of the day.

    Those saying it’s not the band and that they are entirely blameless are wrong. They’ll know what’s going on. At least Springsteen had the bottle to come out and own up to the Dynamic pricing and what he was doing. 

    Can see a lot of these shows being reduced or even on offer in a few weeks time.
    Manchester 09, London 10, Manchester 12, IOW 12, Leeds 15, Milton Keynes 15, Amsterdam 18, Rome 18, London 22
  • Kearn5yKearn5y Ireland Posts: 2,691
    Could it also be the case thats its the same countries over and over again and in this case playing 2 nights instead of 1. Ireland hasnt had a show since 2010 and on this tour is the second largest show with a capacity of 40k with 10% of those being platinum tickets. If we believe Ticketmaster, only the platinum tickets are available for the GC and no way there are 4000 platinum tickets available for that area. I know GA was much cheaper than other dates which could be a reason that it seems to have sold well but just a thought.
    Kearnsy
  • LizJLizJ Posts: 334
    German music magazine (Musikexpress/german Rolling Stone) reporting on the bad sales for Berlin today, asking “Did Pearl Jam gamble away?” (I hope I translated the headline correctly), mentioning the high prices for Berlin in general and the dynamic pricing by Ticketmaster.
    As I said, it’s in German, but I think it’s interesting that it’s being recognized by the press in Germany. 
    And it also shows again, that these prices are not standard prices for concerts in Europe. Mentioning these prices being the level of Adele or Phil Collins (did not know/expect that for Phil Collins btw.), but not for “former grunge or Indie-heroes”. 




  • SoybeansSoybeans Posts: 245
    edited February 24
    willwall said:
    I’m so happy that this has backfired on them. 

    Things that are ok in the US, doesn’t mean it’s ok to do here. 

    Manchester is 50% sold. London is easily less than 50% sold. You reap what you sow at the end of the day.

    Those saying it’s not the band and that they are entirely blameless are wrong. They’ll know what’s going on. At least Springsteen had the bottle to come out and own up to the Dynamic pricing and what he was doing. 

    Can see a lot of these shows being reduced or even on offer in a few weeks time.
    Is already happening. The prices for Barcelona are coming down. Barcelona uppers down $30, lowers have come down by $50.

    But it's too late for many. Scanning the sad comments on the socials, it's clear that our proud Spanish PJ brothers and sisters are done. Sadly,  I have to hope these arenas remain half empty at show time. 
    Post edited by Soybeans on
    90 shows and counting...some of my favs: Randall's Island night 2, Milwaukee '95 night 2, Hawaii '06, St Johns '05, PJ20!
  • JimmiJimmi Netherlands Posts: 34
    LizJ said:
    German music magazine (Musikexpress/german Rolling Stone) reporting on the bad sales for Berlin today, asking “Did Pearl Jam gamble away?” (I hope I translated the headline correctly), mentioning the high prices for Berlin in general and the dynamic pricing by Ticketmaster.
    As I said, it’s in German, but I think it’s interesting that it’s being recognized by the press in Germany. 
    And it also shows again, that these prices are not standard prices for concerts in Europe. Mentioning these prices being the level of Adele or Phil Collins (did not know/expect that for Phil Collins btw.), but not for “former grunge or Indie-heroes”. 




    Thanks for the article!
    Apparently ticketmaster tried to copy a businessmodel from the us to the eu
    without adapting it to local standards, like planning, financial means, ⚽️
    Something like that? 
  • SoybeansSoybeans Posts: 245
    It's too bad this forum's mobile functionality broke for the first time in years,  right before the ticket fiasco started. We may have engaged in much more talk around the frustration and disappointment folks are feeling.  There was a thread about the forum not working,  but I think it was closed. 
    90 shows and counting...some of my favs: Randall's Island night 2, Milwaukee '95 night 2, Hawaii '06, St Johns '05, PJ20!
  • Air23Air23 Roma Posts: 1,351
    Low ticket sale in Europe is not only a fiasco in terms of unsold tickets for 2024 shows. The reputation of the band has turned from grunge heroes to greedy old corporate people
  • LizJLizJ Posts: 334
    Jimmi said:
    LizJ said:

    What's going on? Normally, Pearl Jam concerts in Germany are quickly sold out. It is hard to imagine that the interest in the "Alive" heroes has diminished. However, the ticket prices for these front seats in the Waldbühne are peppered. Up to 300 euros per card. This is the price level of Adele or Phil Collins, not that of former indie rock and grunge heroes. The fact that the not yet-sale could be related to the fact that the band performs twice in Berlin instead of only once would also not be quite understandable. At their last local double header in 2012 in the then O2 Arena (which has a slightly smaller capacity than the Waldbühne), the Tix were also soon gone. 
    Pearl Jam fans, whether registered in the fan club "Ten Club" or not, are a sworn community. They uphold fairness ideals. 300 euros, on the other hand, is an announcement. When Ticketmaster then also vigorously applies the "dynamic pricing system", this annoys some PJ followers, as can also be read in the Facebook comments on our articles on the subject.
    "Dynamic pricing system" sounds fast and cool, but actually means that cards that initially cost 174, 50 euros (the base price) are now heading towards 300 - precisely because the demand is so great. It is obvious that this is not found to be cool, but looks like exploitation. You don't have to research for a long time to find out that these tickets then named "platinum" do not even contain a valuable free gift made of platinum metal (which no one would need anyway, which the name suggests), but simply means that you are a noble fan, because you invest so much money in your favorite band.
    These are some excerpts from the article. 
    I just realized that I can just use the translator on my phone.  :)

    And funny thing is, after seeing this article, that mentions the ticket pricing level of stars like Adele, another article on her upcoming tour in Europe just popped up. Saying that the sales for her 8 planed shows/residency shows in Germany are also selling quite bad/not as good as expected. 
    So even Adele might have misread the situation in Europe.
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,527
    I hope things turn around for you in Europe. I will send some meal vouchers.
  • matt84matt84 Posts: 588
    willwall said:
    I’m so happy that this has backfired on them. 

    Things that are ok in the US, doesn’t mean it’s ok to do here. 

    Manchester is 50% sold. London is easily less than 50% sold. You reap what you sow at the end of the day.

    Those saying it’s not the band and that they are entirely blameless are wrong. They’ll know what’s going on. At least Springsteen had the bottle to come out and own up to the Dynamic pricing and what he was doing. 

    Can see a lot of these shows being reduced or even on offer in a few weeks time.
    Exactly! People in the EU/UK are never going to pay the prices that people in the US pay for gigs.
  • KidAOKKidAOK Posts: 88
    I hope things turn around for you in Europe. I will send some meal vouchers.
    Funny that, you are far more likely to need them than a European.
  • ilockyerilockyer Posts: 2,234
    tD255989 said:
    Hello Friends.  Pearl Jam is the soundtrack to my life.  Born and raised in So Cal.  Today was the ticket sale for the upcoming 2024 tour.  Anything Ticketmaster has to do with turns into a pile of shit.  I know it's not PJ.  I know PJ wants what's best for their fans, however, the bots and the scalpers are a difficult cancer to beat.  Just a blue collar guy who seeks PJ live as rehab from the grind of life.  And todays events with the ticket sale has been a travesty.  A general fuck you to Ticketmaster and all ticket resale businesses. All the REAL PJ FANS will be in the upper decks at the LA forum.  Nothing but corporate greed will be in the decent seats.  GREEN DISEASE.  Take care.
    TM can be challenged, and has been, by a band nowhere near as big as PJ. This dynamic pricing nonsense can be stopped if there is a will from the client (band/band management). 

    https://thatmusicmag.com/the-cures-robert-smith-slays-ticketmaster-and-leaves-no-crumbs/


    The secret to a happy ending is knowing when to roll the credits
  • Yup, I think if this was 2025 with the same venues and dates they would have sold better. They’re competing with so many acts, eurocup, and peak travel costs. Why would you pick Tottenham as the venue on the same day as Green Day, ABBA, and Burna? Oh and by the way the round of 16 euros begin that day. I think they would have had more success in the smaller cities for less coin. 
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2
  • ilockyerilockyer Posts: 2,234
    Ryan said:
    Berlin and Barcelona also traditionally get one show per tour, not two (exception being Berlin 2012 when they played the arena).  That venue in Berlin is bigger than an arena.  May have been better off doing single shows in those cities.  As a North American I also would have gone to EU if we didn’t have so many options for shows that on this side of the pond this year.  I’m guessing fewer North Americans are going over there in peak travel months when we have many less experienced options for PJ shows this year.  
    I wonder if there is a reduction in the number from NA traveling over due to the prices here no longer being approximately half to 3/4 what they were in the US at comparative times. Quite a few used to come and do long tours, the savings in tickets off-setting the hotel costs or flight expenses. 
    The secret to a happy ending is knowing when to roll the credits
Sign In or Register to comment.