Options

European Tour Sales = Desaster

Comments

• Options
    axeljohanaxeljohan Posts: 436
    First, they alienate their casual European fan with their pricing policy.
    now, the cancellations at the 2nd Euro tour in a row doesn’t help them with the hardcore-traveling fan.

Yep, disaster sounds about right. Wonder how they will do future Euro tours.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,626
    edited June 30
    axeljohan said:
    now, the cancellations at the 2nd Euro tour in a row doesn’t help them with the hardcore-traveling fan.

3rd Euro tour
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Okay, London 18.
  • Options
    seanclaxseanclax Posts: 377
    axeljohan said:

3rd Euro tour
    2018 doesn't really count. Any band can lose on show. And they definitely made it up at the end of the tour.
    And I say that as someone who got close to the venue before they cancelled 
  • Options
    edited June 30
    seanclax said:
    axeljohan said:

3rd Euro tour
    2018 doesn't really count. Any band can lose on show. And they definitely made it up at the end of the tour.
    And I say that as someone who got close to the venue before they cancelled 
    Lol. Ofc it counts. Just like any band can lose a show, any band can lose two shows or three.

And a lot of people travelling weren’t helped by that extra date just like they wouldn’t be if they tagged on Berlin at the end of this tour. Not that they adding that has anything to do with what is being discussed. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 870
    edited July 1
    I feel so bad for both the fans and the band.  Dark Matter is such a f’kn great album and isn’t getting the proper live treatment and exposure that it deserves.  
    Post edited by vedpunk on
  • Options
    marumarukomarumaruko Frankfurt / Calgary Posts: 203
    vedpunk said:
    I feel so bad for both the fans and the band.  Dark Matter is such a f’kn great album and isn’t getting the proper live treatment and exposure that it deserves.  
    Well, that album might be dead in Europe. Sold only 65000 more copies than Gigaton which was released during Covid. Live shows not happening will not boost the record either. At least the streaming numbers kept increasing until July. But with shows not happening, I'm curious what the effects will be here. 

• Options
    JoostoneJoostone Posts: 232
    Ok, for the third tour in a row (2018/2022 and now 2024) the band (Ed) was forced to cancel shows. Combine that with their high current ticket prices and yes, the band is losing former strong markets for them. Europe is still their biggest market after the US. And they really should go above and beyond to fix that. Obviously Ed should be once more inspired by Springsteen and Daltrey. Call them and ask how they managed at 60. Daltrey is only drinking tea and is really really taking care of his voice (not allowing smoking in his audience for example). Yeah, Eddie should really quit smoking first... It's obvious that he needs to change his routine by now.

They should come back rather sooner than later. Like Springsteen who already planned the cancelled shows for 2025. PJ should do the same next year. But no more outdoor shows in the summer. They should do a indoor arena tour in september (like 2006). Make it at least 20 shows in most EU countries for reasonable prices. They really should fix these markets if they want to do this untill they are 70.
    PJ: Pinkpop 2000, Sydney I/II/III 2003, Adelaide 2003, Arnhem 2006, Antwerp 2006, Berlin 2006, Dusseldorf 2007, Nijmegen 2007, Werchter 2007, Rotterdam 2009, Berlin 2009, Nijmegen 2010, Amsterdam I/II 2012, Amsterdam I/II 2014, Amsterdam I/II 2018, Pinkpop 2018, Werchter 2018, Pinkpop 2022, Budapest 2022, Krakow 2022, Amsterdam 2022.
    EV: Amsterdam II 2012, Amsterdam I/III 2017, Amsterdam I 2019
    Brad: Zoetermeer & Utrecht 2013
    Soundgarden: Pinkpop 2012, Amsterdam 2013, Utrecht 2014
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,791
    Just one point indoor shows spread illnesses much better
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    marumarukomarumaruko Frankfurt / Calgary Posts: 203
    Great points overall. While it hurts, but throwing tambourines into the crowd is enough close interaction at this point. Don't need to touch us sweaty, snotty people in the front row. Less chances to become ill. 

• Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,791
    Air con not touching so much
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    HK103094HK103094 Posts: 32
    Some thoughts after arriving back home from London.

Friday was not a very good day, when the news broke. Had a very bad feeling for the concert the minute someone wrote that he was sick in Manchester. Luckily, me and my friends managed to shake it off, but is devastating when you experience this. Saturday, we saw foxy mop, and wow, they were great. A lot of friendly Pearl Jam people around ready to rock. Thanks to the person who informed about them on the forum.

It is hard to build up enthusiasm for future European tours. The ticket price issue was a bitter pill to swallow. And again, the unpredicitility regarding cancellation makes it hard to travel again with the fear of cancellation hanging over the shoulder.

I really feel for the people in Berlin and I also wish all the best for the band. Hope they recover quickly. But they should really think about how much damaged they have done to their fan base in Europe with these dynamic pricing.
    2000 Oslo
    2007 Venezia
    2010 London
    2012 Oslo
    2014 Milano
    2018 Milano
    2018 Krakow
    2019 Barolo (Ed)
    2022 Berlin
    2022 Frankfurt
    2022 Krakow
    2024 London

• Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,949
    Maybe its only me, but the next euro tour announcement can not come soon enough, I'll still be buzzing about new shows, and I'll still be entering the tenclub lotteries to secure tickets at the outset. Its important to me to make firm plans and know everything is set. My support for these guys is unwavering, there isn't a band in the world who can touch their shows for me. 

This has been really really shitty luck. I was devastated to get another cancellation, but crossing everything I can that Barcelona goes ahead. This tour has been blighted but we have to hope it can get back on its feet. 

There's a lot of negative talk on here, and I do fully understand the horrible disappointment that we have endured, but talk of this being the end, they won't tour Europe again, they've just lost their loyal travelling fanbase.....isn't this all a little too much? 

I will be watching for that next tour announcement with massive fervour. That will be the case until one day they do call it quits. But I sincerely hope that day is far into the distance. 
  • Options
    SpagsSpags Leigh-on-Sea, UK Posts: 3,003
    I think it’ll be more last minute deals and spontaneous travel in the future. Heading off to Berlin now. Hope everyone enjoys the city.
    Nature drunk and High
  • Options
    Given the tickets get better/cheaper nearer showtime in the new pricing mode, the tours are shorter (9 dates in Europe) and more likely to cancellation (max of 6 happening) this may change fan buying and planning behaviour 

hope Ed gets well for Barcelona, but there is a point about bubbles, taking better care of health, scheduling etc - bands of a comparable age and older cancel less, with longer tours 
  • Options
    GianGiovi94GianGiovi94 Italy Posts: 80
    I got 2 tix for Barca but I think they are going to cancel both nights. Very disappointed.
    Milan 2014, Trieste 2014, Milan 2018, Padua 2018, Rome 2018, Berlin 2022, Imola 2022, Frankfurt 2022, Wien 2022, Prague 2022, Amsterdam-1 2022
  • Options
    BlueLedbetterBlueLedbetter Posts: 1,248
    I think in future I will be trying for cities I've never visited before so can have a city break somewhere new if the show is cancelled 

Got to pay the balance of my new york trip in the next couple of weeks and not sure if its worth it having been a couple of times before 
  • Options
    just_onejust_one Lisbon Posts: 2,039
    I think in future I will be trying for cities I've never visited before so can have a city break somewhere new if the show is cancelled 

Got to pay the balance of my new york trip in the next couple of weeks and not sure if its worth it having been a couple of times before 
    The problem is that the european cities they go are always the same.
  • Options
    Zen23Zen23 Posts: 414
    edited July 1
    I read through the interview with Eddie Vedder that appeared in the music magazine Visions. Among other things, he was asked about ticket prices in Europe. I then listened to the Visions editors' podcast, which was published a few days ago on June 26, 2024. In it, the editors - including the editor-in-chief of Visions - spend 30 minutes categorizing Eddie Vedder's statements on ticket prices in Europe.

First of all, the original interview questions and answers on the subject of ticket prices.

Eddie, there has been a lot of excitement in recent weeks about the ticket prices for the upcoming concerts. In Germany, tickets cost 175 euros, and in some categories they were significantly more expensive due to so-called dynamic pricing. Didn't you actually always want to do it differently and make it fairer than everyone else?
    Unfortunately, that's more complicated. After corona, everyone wanted to go back on tour as quickly as possible, and why not? That doesn't apply to us, but many colleagues are dependent on the income from tours for their livelihood. As a result, production costs have gotten completely out of hand. You can hardly find a crew anymore, there are problems organizing buses, stages, PA systems, venues. People say: "If you don't pay my price, no problem, someone else will pay it." This even applies to service providers that we have been working with for over 30 years.

Can you still understand that some fans in the forums seem to feel downright cheated?
    If we can save money, we pass it on to the fans. But it's essential for us to at least cover our costs. If we had to pay extra and couldn't earn any money at all, we wouldn't go on tour any more.

And now the classification and assessment of his statements by the Visions editors from the podcast and partly from the article itself. Including the editor-in-chief of Visions.

- The price of 175 euros is disproportionately high.

- In the end, ticket prices are also simply a question of the artist fee.

- Even if you have an audience that is wealthy enough to pay 175 euros every two years, that doesn't justify the current prices.

- Since Pearl Jam no longer play 3-hour concerts, the question was raised as to whether Pearl Jam still have the value for money with these ticket prices or whether there is a disproportion.

- On the subject of the new stage design. What has always characterized the band was very long concerts, with variation, joy of playing. Pearl Jam don't need the new visuals or a "show". If this new concert production now leads to a ticket costing 40 or 50 euros more because it all has to be paid for somehow, then you shouldn't be surprised that fans say that the tour is taking place without them.

- Eddie Vedder's answers to the reasons for the high ticket prices are weak. You would have liked him to be clearer. Like Bruce Springsteen. That it's also fair to say that you want to improve your pension. Because you won't be on stage forever. Another example is Fat Mike, who was interviewed by the Visions editors for the NOFX farewell tour. He clearly said: "Yes, the ticket prices in Germany are 30 euros higher than what everyone expected, but that's my pension."

- It was Pearl Jam who stood up to the Ticketmaster monopoly back then, albeit ultimately in vain. The band's unique selling point always seemed to be that they approached things differently to similarly successful colleagues. In this way, they have retained the charm of a multi-platinum underground band over the decades. Pearl Jam are not Taylor Swift or Adele, who are seen as having astronomical ticket prices. The following thought comes to mind: At almost 60, the band members no longer want to play as many concerts as they used to, but want to make just as much money
  • Options
    BlueLedbetterBlueLedbetter Posts: 1,248
    just_one said:

That's true but there are a couple of occasional ones I've never been to so if they played there I would try those, Budapest for example 
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,065
    I wonder if they even play Berlin next time. It was so odd leaving out Vienna, Prague, and even Amsterdam this year. 

• Options
    RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,513
    PJNB said:
    I wonder if they even play Berlin next time. It was so odd leaving out Vienna, Prague, and even Amsterdam this year. 

Probably was part of insurance settlement from last time that they couldn’t come back for x years or else it would have been a postponement and not an insured cancellation.  Just a guess. 
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • Options
    edited July 1
    PJNB said:

Probably was part of insurance settlement from last time that they couldn’t come back for x years or else it would have been a postponement and not an insured cancellation.  Just a guess. 
    Yeah, it was widely speculated that they were not able to play gigs in Amsterdam, Vienna and Prag in 24, because of the cancellations in 22.

If that is true and the insuarance policy did not change, we will wait a while for new concerts in London and Berlin.
  • Options
    FroggieFroggie Cork Posts: 229
    On the bus to Dublin. Flying over later this afternoon. Definitely lessons learnt from this fiasco. Especially after our 3 cancelled shows in 2022. The money and time off is so hard to come by. Feels like such a waste. I’ve been to Berlin loads. Don’t particularly enjoy it and won’t be going back. Let’s be honest, we were going to see PJ in a really cool venue. Otherwise, I would not be going to Berlin on a fucking Monday till next Friday. 
  • Options
    edited July 1
    just_one said:

Not true. I have a rule to ”always” go to s new place. And it has worked so far
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Options
    just_one said:

They mostly are tbf. They are never not in Berlin as an example. Every tour going back to 1996. Even 1992. 
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,949
    Froggie said:
    On the bus to Dublin. Flying over later this afternoon. Definitely lessons learnt from this fiasco. Especially after our 3 cancelled shows in 2022. The money and time off is so hard to come by. Feels like such a waste. I’ve been to Berlin loads. Don’t particularly enjoy it and won’t be going back. Let’s be honest, we were going to see PJ in a really cool venue. Otherwise, I would not be going to Berlin on a fucking Monday till next Friday. 
    I have had 4 trips to Berlin and still love the city. Super chilled out place with loads to do but I would only go there now to see PJ play
  • Options
    I've been to Berlin for Pearl Jam, Neil Young and Eddie solo. I am done with that city. Love the ease of it though - the S-bahn, U-bahn, the nice beer places, relatively cheap/easy to get to from Sweden (even by night train) etc. But I don't think I will go back to Berlin again in quite some time. 
  • Options
    edited July 1
    Froggie said:
    just_one said:

They mostly are tbf. They are never not in Berlin as an example. Every tour going back to 1996. Even 1992. 
    What artist is not in Berlin though? What artist doesn't play in London? Or Amsterdam?

Look past the Berlin and Amsterdam, and there is always something new/unique. Never Gothenburg though.
  • Options
    Froggie said:
    just_one said:

What artist is not in Berlin though? What artist doesn't play in London? Or Amsterdam?

Look past the Berlin and Amsterdam, and there is always something new/unique. Never Gothenburg though.
    Absolutely. Will pick more wisely next time 🤣