NHL Playoffs 2012 Edition

Comments

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,891
    Jason P wrote:
    I didn't see much dirty play on Sunday ... of course, I just watched the Wings / Preds.
    You would have if you'd watched the Canucks/Kings game. Apparently both teams now think they're all soccer players.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Brendan Shanahan kept busy by NHL mayhem

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/04/ ... hl-mayhem/

Funny that no one seems to be talking much about Franzens spear of Legwand.

Legwand was already being penalized...so Franzens spear cost Detroit a 2 minute powerplay.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    lukin2006 wrote:

Legwand was already being penalized...so Franzens spear cost Detroit a 2 minute powerplay.

Didnt see that one

Its been a nasty first round
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327
    lukin2006 wrote:

at what point do we realize that 1 person should not be doing this job. I say get a panel of 3 people to make up the group and have them separate from the NHL.
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Jason P wrote:
    I didn't see much dirty play on Sunday ... of course, I just watched the Wings / Preds.
    You would have if you'd watched the Canucks/Kings game. Apparently both teams now think they're all soccer players.

Yeah that game was crazy...I don't remember seeing a game when the puck always seemed to bounce just the wrong for Vancouver...lots of shots just didn't seem like they were getting any bounces...but that's how it goes.

Vancouver needs to decide whether they keep Shneider or Luongo. Lou's contract probably makes him impossible to trade so the other guys out...I think they need to add some more grit in the off season. Nash will be available in the off season...Columbus is looking for a goalie...
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

fife wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

at what point do we realize that 1 person should not be doing this job. I say get a panel of 3 people to make up the group and have them separate from the NHL.

...so your saying completely separate and independent...I like it. I still think teams need to be held accountable and should be penalized picks and salary cap space...the same panel can decide that...and this panel could be jointly paid by players and NHL to insure fairness...players penalties should carry for at least 2 years...as of now I think every player starts off with a clean slate at the beginning of the year.

• Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    I don't know if anyone has been watching the Devs/Panthers Series, but two whole games have been played without a fight.

Really.
    GoiMTvP.gif
    lukin2006 wrote:

Didnt see that one

Its been a nasty first round

Johan Franzen spears David Legwand

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhwXw5pz ... ure=relmfu

I don't know if anyone has been watching the Devs/Panthers Series, but two whole games have been played without a fight.

Really.
    Yeah, no one is watching that series, lol. Even sports broadcasters seem to have all but forgotten about it. :lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    lukin2006 wrote:
    fife wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

...so your saying completely separate and independent...I like it. I still think teams need to be held accountable and should be penalized picks and salary cap space...the same panel can decide that...and this panel could be jointly paid by players and NHL to insure fairness...players penalties should carry for at least 2 years...as of now I think every player starts off with a clean slate at the beginning of the year.

I don't know if the owners and players will agree about the cap space issues to be honest but I do think we need a group that is separate and independent. I do think Shanny did start well with his suspension but it seems that he didn't live up to that.
    lukin2006 wrote:
    fife wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

I don't agree that the price cap or picks should be involved (that would NEVER be done by the NHL, so it's really moot) ... But much bigger penalties charged to the team rather than the player seems like a good idea.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    lukin2006 wrote:
    He was merely suggesting to Legwand that perhaps next time he should act more like a gentleman while sitting outside the arena of play. :)

Hey, at least it wasn't a head shot .... and it's not like the PP is working for the Wings anyway. They seem to be better off in 4 on 4 when the Preds can't knock the puck out of the zone. :geek:
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    lukin2006 wrote:
    Why is it such a tough decision for the NHL to ban head shots? And maybe it's time to hold the teams accountable as well. Maybe monetary penalties/lowering their cap limit for a season or two and the removal of draft picks after each season based on players suspensions on their team.

No doubt this season/playoff the headshots have been bad.

How much of lack of discipline is Shanny/Bettmans fault or the directions that they are receiving at the board of governors meetings?

I also really don't see the discipline aspect changing any time soon. If they didn't crack down after Crosby took some serious headshots then it's unlikely they're going to. It's obvious to me that it's in all teams best interest to want your most marketable players healthy and playing.

like i said ... it's become bush league ...
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    Jason P wrote:

Go to Youtube and type in Aaron Asham Schenn

asham deserves whatever punishment he gets ... but if you are gonna run a guy like schenn did - you should have the guts to answer for it ... especially in that series where the flyers have taken a lot of liberties on crosby et al ... if you're gonna play that way - you need to answer for it ...
    Jason P wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:
    He was merely suggesting to Legwand that perhaps next time he should act more like a gentleman while sitting outside the arena of play. :)

Hey, at least it wasn't a head shot .... and it's not like the PP is working for the Wings anyway. They seem to be better off in 4 on 4 when the Preds can't knock the puck out of the zone. :geek:

I'm not saying what Legwand did was right...just as what Weber did was wrong...merely finding it amusing that spearing seems to be a non issue...I remember a time when you speared someone that could warrant a suspension.

As for the Wings PP...I still think they like their odds with the man advantage.

polaris_x wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:
    Why is it such a tough decision for the NHL to ban head shots? And maybe it's time to hold the teams accountable as well. Maybe monetary penalties/lowering their cap limit for a season or two and the removal of draft picks after each season based on players suspensions on their team.

No doubt this season/playoff the headshots have been bad.

How much of lack of discipline is Shanny/Bettmans fault or the directions that they are receiving at the board of governors meetings?

I also really don't see the discipline aspect changing any time soon. If they didn't crack down after Crosby took some serious headshots then it's unlikely they're going to. It's obvious to me that it's in all teams best interest to want your most marketable players healthy and playing.

like i said ... it's become bush league ...

you are so right...it's almost like the NHL has seen how popular MMA has become and is saying "lets bring a little MMA to our sport".

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    polaris_x wrote:
    Jason P wrote:

asham deserves whatever punishment he gets ... but if you are gonna run a guy like schenn did - you should have the guts to answer for it ... especially in that series where the flyers have taken a lot of liberties on crosby et al ... if you're gonna play that way - you need to answer for it ...

it's funny, cause the annoucers were all saying schenn's hit was good. of course the refs game him two for charging. :fp:

what are these liberties on crosby that you speak of...link? if he were to stop acting like a punk, maybe the flyers would stop trying to fight him.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    polaris_x wrote:
    Jason P wrote:

the problem with making guys answer for it is teams no longer carry the Probert, Domi, Kocur type.

But your right if your going to run guys you need to answer for it...but the discipline needs to come from the league and that's not happening.

NEW YORK -- Ottawa Senators forward Zenon Konopka has been fined $2,500, the maximum allowed under the Collective Bargaining Agreement, and his club fined $10,000 for Konopka's conduct prior to Game 2 of the Eastern Conference Quarter-Final at New York on Saturday. April 14, the National Hockey League announced today.

Konopka was fined for his verbal abuse directed at a New York Rangers player conducting a live television interview nearby during pre-game warm-ups.

The Konopka fine money goes to the Players' Emergency Assistance Fund, while the club fine goes to the NHL Foundation.

from

nhl.com
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    fife wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:
    fife wrote:

I don't know if the owners and players will agree about the cap space issues to be honest but I do think we need a group that is separate and independent. I do think Shanny did start well with his suspension but it seems that he didn't live up to that.

Your right they probably won't agree...but we do need an independent panel...but I doubt that is coming any time soon.

polaris_x wrote:
    Jason P wrote:

First off the Schenn hit was bad but what Asham did was much worse.

secondly, I don't see how you can say that the Flyers have taken liberties on Crosby. have they hit him? YES. but have they tried to hurt him as much as the Pens have tried to hurt the Flyer players? NO
    81 wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:

it's funny, cause the annoucers were all saying schenn's hit was good. of course the refs game him two for charging. :fp:

what are these liberties on crosby that you speak of...link? if he were to stop acting like a punk, maybe the flyers would stop trying to fight him.

Were these NBC announcers? if so enough said! How is Crosby acting like a punk? as far as the stick work their all doing it...the pushing after the whistles that's happening after damn near every whistle...his whining, the same was said about Gretzky, and I suspect many, many more NHL players are doing it, just that every camera is focused on him when he is on the ice, every mic on him in post game interviews.

lukin2006 wrote:
    How is Crosby acting like a punk?

did you even watch yesterday's game?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    polaris_x wrote:
    Jason P wrote:

Honestly Schenn's hit was clean...if Asham had challenegd him insteand of cross-checking him in the throat maybe he would have fought

Crosby has barely been hit in this series to be honest and nothing dirty. He's been instigating everything after the whistle

Now what Neal did and then doesnt answer the bell when Simmonds is challenging him face to face is gutless..then he hides on a change real quick when the fights start and goes to the bench

What a POS

what are these liberties on crosby that you speak of...link? if he were to stop acting like a punk, maybe the flyers would stop trying to fight him.[/quote]

Were these NBC announcers? if so enough said! How is Crosby acting like a punk? as far as the stick work their all doing it...the pushing after the whistles that's happening after damn near every whistle...his whining, the same was said about Gretzky, and I suspect many, many more NHL players are doing it, just that every camera is focused on him when he is on the ice, every mic on him in post game interviews.[/quote]

are you kidding me? NBC is the crysby channel. have you ever heard Pierre Macquire talk about the Kid? did you see crosby punch Hartnell in the back of head? Did you see the puck ass move of basically kicking the flyers player glove when he was trying to pick it up?
    lukin2006 wrote:
    Were these NBC announcers? if so enough said! How is Crosby acting like a punk? as far as the stick work their all doing it...the pushing after the whistles that's happening after damn near every whistle...his whining, the same was said about Gretzky, and I suspect many, many more NHL players are doing it, just that every camera is focused on him when he is on the ice, every mic on him in post game interviews.

I dont need an announcer to tell me if a hit is clean..it was clean

No penalty was being called until after Asham cross-checked him (Schenn) in the throat

Crosby is starting all this crap and waiting for the linesman to jump in and then starts throwing punches

The dude is a punk and another p word I wont use with ladies posting in this thread

fife wrote:
    Did you see the puck ass move of basically kicking the flyers player glove when he was trying to pick it up?

basically kicking? dude flipped it away with his stick, which is what really set off the first melee. the whacking of the goalie glove i can look past, because that happens all the time, but to flip a glove away when the guy was right there bending over to pick it up? that's a punk ass move.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:
    How is Crosby acting like a punk?

did you even watch yesterday's game?

Yeah actually I did...it started off as old time hockey...then went down hill from there...

what are they pissed because he pushed some guys glove...so now he's a punk.

That crap has been going on since the beginning...and certainly as long as I've been watching the game.

As far as I'm concerned it was the American owners who wanted fighting out of the game and the removal of the instigator rule...when that that stuff was eliminated the head shots and bush league stuff showed up in the game.

I know the vast majority of Canadian hockey fans have no problem with fighting in the game. I much prefer that the players police the game themselves...and I'm pretty sure the skill players will look awesome in the post season as well.

• Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,359
    PJ_Soul wrote:

Really.
    Yeah, no one is watching that series, lol. Even sports broadcasters seem to have all but forgotten about it. :lol:

I watched the Devils/Panthers yesterday. Brings back lots of trauma from 90s playoff series. :(
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16