NCAA College Football -

Comments

• joberschlakejoberschlake Columbus, OH Posts: 1,179
    Are we talking about the WWWWWWWWWWWISCONSIN...the only team in the top 25 to not face a team that will be in the top 25 after Tuesday?
    Ohio State will smoke them in Indy.  And OSU isn’t that good this year.

59-0, never forget.
    You really like to talk about that shut out. Like 10 months ago Ohio state didn't get shut out in the playoffs. 
    Sure, but was it by a 3rd string QB that hadn't played a meaningful snap, ever?

Regardless, OSU will beat Wisconsin.  That being said, they aren't a playoff team.... But they're still better than an 11-0 team that hasn't played a tough team all year.
    1998: Cleveland
    2000: Cincinnati, Columbus
    2003: Cleveland, Columbus
    2004: Toledo
    2006: Cleveland, Cincinnati, Gorge Night 1
    2008: Washington D.C.
    2009: Chicago Night 1, Seattle Night 1, Philadelphia Night 3, Philadelphia Night 4
    2010: Columbus, Indianapolis, Cleveland
    2011: Detroit EV, Chicago 1 EV
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: Chicago, Pittsburgh
    2014: Cincinnati
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    edited November 2017
    Dame @ Stanford going to be a battle on Saturday night!

Why aren't people more upset about Bama playing a team that isnt even in the top division of college football?  Bama fans here may recall that I support them frequently...am not a hater of their amazing run....and applaud them when they schedule tough out of conference games.

I actually blame the NCAA for this.  They should never allow a team that is part of a power 5 conference to EVER schedule a 2nd division school.  That is an embarrassment. 

I  know it can be tough to find teams that want to get their shit pushed in, no matter how much you offer to pay.  Big schools don't want to tie up 2 years and put a road game against a far inferior opponent...which is what leads to this silliness of the big time payday for scheduling Bama or the like to throw you down the stairs on national TV, on their home field, right?

It is just not right.  I cannot think of a time ever when USC played a 2nd level school, although there have been some awful (Idaho?) teams that they never should have scheduled.

Another example of the lame governing body in college football that is the NCAA.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,728
    Those lower tier schools get paid to get their shit pushed in. It helps to fund their program so they get some practice against a much more skilled team and they get paid. Better team gets a freebie. It's a win-win.

Besides the whole PAC12 is almost a 2nd tier school league. =)
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Yeah, I know the little schools get paid big dollars to play a 1 game road series with the big boys....and it is how Idaho or Troy State or whatever garbage football school ends up playing at USC or Bama.  I think that is sad...but I get it.
    My real issue was the NCAA allowing 2nd division schools -- they used to be called Division II, I think...now called FCS schools? -- get on the schedule for Power 5 Conference Schools.  This is a travesty...a sham...and a mockery.  (You tell her, Bob O!)

https://youtu.be/f9-huLRWFRQ

Just let the team schedule a week off vs. having the farce go on that is sending Division 1 (FBS?  Oh, for fuck's sake I cannot stand the NCAA as an organization) athletes out to play against hopelessly over matched foes.

It would be similar to how you might feel if the BC Lions took the field against the Asheville Cougars.  Who wants to watch that dreck?  No way that is a fair contest.

:rofl:

• markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    edited November 2017
    Pretty much all the schools in the southeast schedule an FCS opponent. I believe a lot of it has to do with having 8 conference games instead of 9 like the Pac12 or Big12. If the ACC/SEC went to 9 game conference schedules, I think the games against FCS schools would go away. Most of the scheduling goes 8 conference games, 1 or 2 other Power 5 games, 1 or 2 Group of 5 games, and 1 FCS game.

FCS is pretty popular in some places in the southeast and those fans really like seeing their team get a shot at the big boys. Heck, a few years ago one of our South Carolina state representatives actually proposed lowering funding to Clemson and South Carolina if they didn't schedule in-state FCS schools. Thankfully that stupid idea didn't pass, but it shows how important that is to some folks.
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    Yeah, I know the little schools get paid big dollars to play a 1 game road series with the big boys....and it is how Idaho or Troy State or whatever garbage football school ends up playing at USC or Bama.  I think that is sad...but I get it.
    My real issue was the NCAA allowing 2nd division schools -- they used to be called Division II, I think...now called FCS schools? -- get on the schedule for Power 5 Conference Schools.  This is a travesty...a sham...and a mockery.  (You tell her, Bob O!)

https://youtu.be/f9-huLRWFRQ

Just let the team schedule a week off vs. having the farce go on that is sending Division 1 (FBS?  Oh, for fuck's sake I cannot stand the NCAA as an organization) athletes out to play against hopelessly over matched foes.

It would be similar to how you might feel if the BC Lions took the field against the Asheville Cougars.  Who wants to watch that dreck?  No way that is a fair contest.

:rofl:

Hey, Brett. I enjoyed getting to see some of our future players. Have you seen our backup QB yet?

But Seriously, Saban is all for playing an extra SEC game, but he is the only coach in the SEC that is for it.

Pretty much all the schools in the southeast schedule an FCS opponent. I believe a lot of it has to do with having 8 conference games instead of 9 like the Pac12 or Big12. If the ACC/SEC went to 9 game conference schedules, I think the games against FCS schools would go away. Most of the scheduling goes 8 conference games, 1 or 2 other Power 5 games, 1 or 2 Group of 5 games, and 1 FCS game.

FCS is pretty popular in some places in the southeast and those fans really like seeing their team get a shot at the big boys. Heck, a few years ago one of our South Carolina state representatives actually proposed lowering funding to Clemson and South Carolina if they didn't schedule in-state FCS schools. Thankfully that stupid idea didn't pass, but it shows how important that is to some folks.

This is true. Remember App State upsetting Michigan?

Those FCS schools have some great athletes.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    I've always thought the same thing about D2 (FCS) programs. It's just silly. Though it was a great Labor Day weekend when Appalachian State (as a D2 school) beat Michigan a few years back.

A lot of ND haters give me shot because the Irish play the acadamies. There is a food story as to why they will play at least Navy every single season. Beyond that, ND is one of VERY few schools to have NEVER played against a FCS program. 
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
    Appalachian State was considered a Division 1-AA team at the time. There is a difference between Division 1-AA (now FCS) and Division 2.
    Interesting perspective.  I do not agree with it & find it to be whacked...but I did not look at it from the fan's perspective of the little schools.  (Not being one to just walk up to an MMA guy after a few drinks and challenge him to a fight for now reason. :lol: )

I get not wanting to schedule a tough game when you already went out of the SEC to schedule Florida State.  (Using Bama as the continuing example)
    The other out of conference games were garbage (Fresno State and Colorado State) but at least those are real schools, recruiting legitimate teams, and teams that have been Top 25 teams at some point.

Must be some other way....

Looked at the other P5 top 25 teams & you are exactly correct -- everyone played at least one foolish game:
    Miami -Bethune-Cookman, 
    Clemson - Citadel
    Auburn - played Mercer as well. (Wow, Mercer really pimped out their players this year!  C'mon boys, take a beating for our cash!!)
    Georgia - Samford
    LSU - ChattanoogaMocs

Didnt realize everyone does it.  (I don't agree with it but can see why nobody called bullshit over Mercer walking into Bama this year.)

App state is a D1 (FBS) school now, right?  Sun Belt or some shit?

Lolo -- I continue to have much respect for Saban.  I am sure he doesnt want to see even his backups get hurt against the likes of Mercer.  A joke.  What is your spread on the BC Lions vs. Asheville Cougar game this weekend?  ;)

Mercer's Strength of Schedule rivals Wisonsin's this year!
    It's less common in other areas of the country, but it does still happen. I think Big10 schools are more apt to schedule more MAC teams than give someone like Youngstown St a game. Just like I think Pac12/Big12 schools are more likely to schedule C-USA, Mtn West teams (although I think Arizona scheduled Northern Arizona this year).
  • ehbaconehbacon Posts: 1,964
    edited November 2017
    Are we talking about the WWWWWWWWWWWISCONSIN...the only team in the top 25 to not face a team that will be in the top 25 after Tuesday?
    Northwestern will be. Probably around 20. Iowa fell apart this week for some reason, but Michigan is a good team. They'll get crushed by OSU without their QB, but still a solid team. 

We're talking about the Wisconsin that has only given up 20 points in a game to one team (Northwestern, who is top 25) and they only got there in 4th quarter garbage time.

What are OSU's quality wins? What would lead you to believe that they are that much better than us? They got lucky against Penn State, who isn't even that great (they lost to Michigan State). They beat Michigan State, who's only ranked because Penn State laid an egg against them. Other than that game, they've done nothing at all impressive. They got smeared by Oklahoma, and got absolutely demolished by Iowa. Iowa cannot count as a quality loss for you if it is not a quality win for us. OSU did not deserve the Penn State win, they got lucky. OSU's only impressive win so far this year has been to Michigan State, who isn't even that good. Now they're gonna most likely steamroll a depleted Michigan team without their QB. So yeah OSU has had a more difficult schedule than Wisconsin has, but they do NOT have more quality wins. 
    Post edited by ehbacon on
    Listen to some of my music here (if you want to): [url="My soundcloud"]
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Michigan is gonna have 4 losses
    Michigan is gonna have 4 losses
    Sweatshirts tucked into khakis should always be a loser.
  • gregkitefangregkitefan Posts: 1,115
    My Umass Minutemen won their 4th game last week.
    It took them 7 years to have that many wins in a FBS season.
    I think they can win the last game of the season against Florida International.
    They are playing really well right now and I see a 7-8 win season next year.
    The schedule is much easier in 2018 and most of the Offense will be seniors next year.

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,380
    My Umass Minutemen won their 4th game last week.
    It took them 7 years to have that many wins in a FBS season.
    I think they can win the last game of the season against Florida International.
    They are playing really well right now and I see a 7-8 win season next year.
    The schedule is much easier in 2018 and most of the Offense will be seniors next year.

First ever FBS road win for UMass....BYU is now the answer to a trivia question! :triumph:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    Pitt with another upset on the last week of the season. This makes things even more interesting. 
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
    THE.......you know the rest :triumph:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    the chip kelly hire ought to ratchet up the hatred of fUCLA.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Ball don't lie 
  • ShynerShyner Posts: 1,226
    Does Alabama get a top 4 spot?
    Shyner said:
    When Ohio state wins, yes
    edited November 2017
    If Auburn jumps us and Alabama doesn't fall behind us ill be so mad. We could either be 3 or 5 Tuesday, gonna be interesting. I honestly like our odds against OSU. Gonna have a lot of fun in Indianapolis with my buddies 
    Shyner said:
    When Ohio state wins, yes

that’s my dilemma....I want THE Ohio State to win, but I’m afraid a wisconsin loss opens the door for nick satan.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Holy shit my Noles might end up in a bowl game after all!
    #3 In ESPN, AP, and Coaches Poll. Please committee don't pull some crazy shit
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    ehbacon said:
    #3 In ESPN, AP, and Coaches Poll. Please committee don't pull some crazy shit
    Win and in.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    "The committee" is fucking dumb.  Dumbest idea in college football championship history.  Should've kept the BCS poll and just put the top 4 teams from it in.  It was much more accurate and not based on the opinions of just a handful of people, most of whom likely don't know jack shit about sports, let alone college football.
    Yep...just beat Ohio State and you are in.  I don't think it will happen, but that is why they play the games.

Think SC is going to have to be on top of their game to beat Stanford again.  Tough enough to beat the same team 2x in a season, but Stanford looked really good in beating Dame around.

Auburn also will have a tough time beating same team 2x in Georgia.  I think the Dawgs win.

Updated CFP Guess?  I think Bama would be better than OSU but I also think that the committee will feel the need to give some credence to winning your Conference...and also that Auburn losing to Georgia would bump them up further.  If Auburn beats Georgia, I think OSU is out and Bama is in there.  Gonna be a wild finish.  Miami and TCU wins this week would really muddy up the water.

1. Clemson
    2. Oklahoma
    3. Georgia
    4. Ohio State

btw, the Schiano scenario was wild.