Options

NCAA College Football -

Comments

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,025
    I don't understand how the transfer portal even works. I mean, non-athlete students can't just pick up and move to another school mid semester. It really de-emphasizes the student part of student-athlete. Why even bother with GPA requirements then?
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,470
    Can anyone explain to me how a #1 team(Georgia) lost by 3 points to #8(Alabama) and dropped down to #6? (NOT a fan of either)
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,689
    edited December 2023
    mace1229 said:
    I don't understand how the transfer portal even works. I mean, non-athlete students can't just pick up and move to another school mid semester. It really de-emphasizes the student part of student-athlete. Why even bother with GPA requirements then?
    It's not mid semester.  They are entering now and will change schools after that. Students xfer all the time. 

And I'm fairly certain you have to meet the minimum academic criteria.
  • Options
    cutz said:
    Can anyone explain to me how a #1 team(Georgia) lost by 3 points to #8(Alabama) and dropped down to #6? (NOT a fan of either)
    I agree (I am a Georgia fan though).

Maybe this? 

• Options
    cutz said:
    When you lose is important,  always has been in college.  The reality is that no SEC team should be in it.  You can't take Bama and not Texas.  So striking FSU was a cop out to doing what historically had been done. 
  • Options
    It’s confusing they leave out FSU saying they aren’t competitive enough (still good enough to win with multiple backups), but they put FSU ahead of Georgia? Do we think they are more competitive than Georgia?

Honestly, should have been Michigan, Washington, Texas, and FSU.
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,842
    It’s confusing they leave out FSU saying they aren’t competitive enough (still good enough to win with multiple backups), but they put FSU ahead of Georgia? Do we think they are more competitive than Georgia?

I almost agree completely. But then there is the part of me that knows what we all know about Michigan. And for that, I'd be happy with Washington, Texas, FSU & Bama
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,521
    mace1229 said:
    it shows how BOGUS the idea of student/athlete is for dudes who think they can go pro in either basketball or football.

I am basically down with the portal…there are legitimate reasons for it…coaching changes, personal issues, etc…..but I think it’s actually detrimental to a lot of the kids who hop from school to school.

NOT TO RIP YOUR ALMA MATER F’ME but USC recently has had two QB’s leave and subsequently play at 3 or 4(?) other schools. It hasn’t really “worked out” for either. They were both pretty highly thought of and I would assume both had NFL dreams. Neither will be playing on Sundays. If that’s your dream, just commit somewhere, stay there (barring totally unforeseen circumstances) and develop your game. As we’ve seen from Ken Anderson to  Brett Favre toTony Romo to Big Ben, the NFL will find you whether you’re in the Mountain West, MAC, D-II or whatever. They found Wentz and Lance. Those guys may never pan out but they were set for life when they first signed. Zach Wilson may be an all-time bust, but he got $35M. Bryce Young, a little more.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    just thought of another non bigtime program player who did pretty well for himself - Randall Cunningham. there are actually dozens of examples, at just the QB position.

as I remember, Randall was on an 11-1 UNLV team that then had all its wins taken away by the NCAA. UNLV in the 1980s was the Michigan of its day. :lol:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options

I almost agree completely. But then there is the part of me that knows what we all know about Michigan. And for that, I'd be happy with Washington, Texas, FSU & Bama
    I stand corrected. Let’s leave Michigan out!
  • Options

only michigan could make bama the sentimental favorite. :lol:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Wobbie said:

only michigan could make bama the sentimental favorite. :lol:
    Now I didn’t say add Alabama back in! 😂 

My mom is a die hard Auburn fan, so I will always root against the Tide! 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    It's not mid semester.  They are entering now and will change schools after that. Students xfer all the time. 

I just remember the Trevor Lawrence/Kelly Bryant year at Clemson. When they gave the starting position to Trevor as a freshman after 4 games, Kelly put in for the transfer and was off the team immediately. It was only 1 or 2 weeks later that Trevor got injured in a close game, and the was third but now second string had to take over at half to win the game. Clemson fans were upset at Kelly for not being the backup.

I thought he had just transferred that fast, but if what you're saying is how it works, he just quit the team and transferred at the end of the semester? Why would a school pick up a player who quit mid season and missed all that practice?
  • Options
    this would have been great year for an 8 team playoff. add OSU, FSU, ORE and Georgia….probably any of the eight might have a shot to win it. some, obviously more than others.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    this would have been great year for an 8 team playoff. add OSU, FSU, ORE and Georgia….probably any of the eight might have a shot to win it. some, obviously more than others.
    I would be livid if I was an FSU player, coach or AD. Seems kinda BS they didn't;t get in. 
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,842
    mace1229 said:
    Wobbie said:
    I would be livid if I was an FSU player, coach or AD. Seems kinda BS they didn't;t get in. 
    Yep - seems similar to removing the Rangers from. The playoffs because Scherzer was injured.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:

I just looked it up, and you're right.
    But it doesn't make sense to me, I was just remembering Lawrence's freshman year at Clemson. Bryant was the starter the first 4 games then they gave it to Lawrence, so Bryant quit and entered the portal.
    But that was Bryant's senior year and he played in 4 games that year. He didn't red shirt as a freshman I don't think, so how was he eligible to play the following year? I just thought he transferred and finished out his senior year that year. But he didn't play at Missouri until the following year. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    cutz said:
    When you lose is important,  always has been in college.  The reality is that no SEC team should be in it.  You can't take Bama and not Texas.  So striking FSU was a cop out to doing what historically had been done. 
    Yeah, I get when you lose, is only important to CFP. But still to drop Georgia 5 spots after that lost by 3 to #8 Alabama is ridiculous. 

How come Washington didn't drop(at all?) after barley beating a 1 win team(Arizona St.), at the time and at Home? (No hate for Washington from me)
  • Options
    cutz said:
    mrussel1 said:
    cutz said:
    Yeah, I get when you lose, is only important to CFP. But still to drop Georgia 5 spots after that lost by 3 to #8 Alabama is ridiculous. 

How come Washington didn't drop(at all?) after barley beating a 1 win team(Arizona St.), at the time and at Home? (No hate for Washington from me)
    I think the CFP really liked Oregon,  so two wins against them rated very highly. I'm not defending Georgia's fall,  but once you get past #4, it really doesn't matter.  And I don't think they should have made the playoffs.  
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,990
    This whole process is ridiculous. They just need to do a real tournament and be done with it. Get rid of all of the controversies.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,110
    mace1229 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:

I just looked it up, and you're right.
    But it doesn't make sense to me, I was just remembering Lawrence's freshman year at Clemson. Bryant was the starter the first 4 games then they gave it to Lawrence, so Bryant quit and entered the portal.
    But that was Bryant's senior year and he played in 4 games that year. He didn't red shirt as a freshman I don't think, so how was he eligible to play the following year? I just thought he transferred and finished out his senior year that year. But he didn't play at Missouri until the following year. 
    That was the year the NCAA introduced the portal. That same year they changed eligibility rules to allow football players to play in up to 4 games and still have the option to redshirt that year. I believe Bryant was the first player to utilize both at the same time. I don't think he was able to enter the portal until after the semester, so he told Swinney he was sitting out and transferring at the end of the season. The NCAA had not yet passed the 1-time transfer without penalty rule, but he was able to play immediately the next year using the graduate transfer rule.
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,110
    This whole process is ridiculous. They just need to do a real tournament and be done with it. Get rid of all of the controversies.
    Unless it's a tournament that includes all FBS teams (which, of course, is unrealistic), you'll never get rid of the controversies. Look at the men's basketball tournament. In a 68 team tournament, there's always 4 or 5 teams complaining when they are left out. Same thing will happen in football.
  • Options
    Unless it's a tournament that includes all FBS teams (which, of course, is unrealistic), you'll never get rid of the controversies. Look at the men's basketball tournament. In a 68 team tournament, there's always 4 or 5 teams complaining when they are left out. Same thing will happen in football.
    you’re right. If there had been 12 this year, I’d give 8 of those a shot. No one below #12 would have any shot. In most years, I don’t even think the top 12 will be this strong.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Yeah but how much energy is wasted on the first out? None.  Likewise,  I'm not going to care too much about #13 in football, because #12 isn't winning it. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    Wobbie said:
    the transfer portal is out of control.

both “my” QB’s are in…OSU and Utah…where the fuck do those guys think they’re going? it’s nuts.
    McCord underperformed all year.  He was one read,, maybe two.  He's the worst starting qb for Ohio State since friggin Joe Bauserman.  Good riddance. 
    I didn't watch all of Ohio St. games but he did go 11-1 and threw 24 TD's with only 6 INT's and a %65 completion rate. 
  • Options
    cutz said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Wobbie said:
    the transfer portal is out of control.

both “my” QB’s are in…OSU and Utah…where the fuck do those guys think they’re going? it’s nuts.
    McCord underperformed all year.  He was one read,, maybe two.  He's the worst starting qb for Ohio State since friggin Joe Bauserman.  Good riddance. 
    I didn't watch all of Ohio St. games but he did go 11-1 and threw 24 TD's with only 6 INT's and a %65 completion rate. 
    CJ Stroud went 85/12 td/int in his two years at THEosu. McCord didn’t put up the pinball machine numbers they’re used to in columbus.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,236
    edited December 2023
    If FSU beats Georgia ( will be tough) and one of the 1 loss teams wins the CFP......History will record CFP winner as the Champion, I wont

DeSantis says he will sue....he needs this to distract how insignificant he is in the race  that matters to him  ;)
  • Options
    CROJAM95 said:
    If FSU beats Georgia ( will be tough) and one of the 1 loss teams wins the CFP......History will record CFP winner as the Champion, I wont

DeSantis says he will sue....he needs this to distract how insignificant he is in the race  that matters to him  ;)
    But will that FSU - Georgia be the same now? Have to think quite a few players on each team may not play to get ready for the NFL Draft.
  • Options
    CROJAM95 said:

What a fucking baby.  
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,236
    cutz said:
    CROJAM95 said:

But will that FSU - Georgia be the same now? Have to think quite a few players on each team may not play to get ready for the NFL Draft.
    Wilson the 6-7" FSU receiver says hes out.......Coleman other WR a beast, wonder if he will play

im sure some CFP guys will not risk it either