London show selling terribly?

Comments

• just_onejust_one Posts: 2,114
    just_one said:
    i could really care less if its sold out or not.

golden circle seems to be sold out (only premium available) most of the stadium is sold the only big place to sold is the upper seats. the sides are well filled , hope the expression is right,

as i said in another threat after viena in 2022 i could care less if its sold out or not , i just want them to play anything , hell play last kiss as far as im concerned
    I have never heard Last Kiss live :(
    You missed nothing 
    just breathe or the end is worst
  • Zen23Zen23 Posts: 453
    edited June 17
    drfox said:
    Tottenham stadium is just too big to sell out given the location in Outer London and late announcement. It’s got a 63,000 capacity for concerts so almost 50% bigger than places in the US like Wrigley (42,000)
    vedpunk said:
    So wouldn’t selling 50% of Tottenham  (31.5k) still be considered a success?
    The capacity of 63,000 refers to soccer matches. A concert with a classic stage set-up at the North Stand usually has a capacity of 40,000 to 43,000, similar to Red Hot Chili Peppers or Beyoncé.

There are currently still around 8,500 seated tickets for sale. This does not include the unknown amount of seated tickets being held back by Ticketmaster, nor the unknown amount of standing tickets still available in the gigantic inner area of the stadium.

If the standing tickets sold as poorly as the seated tickets, then it is not unlikely that - caution, pure speculation - around 10,000 to 12,000 tickets were not sold. A cautious and positive estimate.

I have no idea about management. No idea about concert organization or ticket sales strategies. But for me, that's 10,000 to 12,000 fewer fans who not only didn't buy a ticket but also didn't buy any merchandise. But we will probably never know how the internal calculations were made.
    Post edited by Zen23 on
  • aisleseatsaisleseats Posts: 1,403
    The UnderFaceValue twitter is actually very interesting

So many acts use the “Fan to Fan Exchange”
    now, but it appears it was just another tool to benefit Ticketmaster in the end by being able to manipulate the market and undercut the “Fan” tickets
    I deleted my twitter account when Musk took over. But I went to glance at that account out of curiosity.
    Had to chuckle that this was one of the first posts I saw:

Even more humorous that all the posts listed before it were seat maps highlighting shows that had sold almost no tickets at all, like Beyonce, J-Lo, Kid Rock, and Travis Scott, yet the artists they urge to retire are the ones who sold all their tickets.
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 11,036
    Whether or not a show is sold out has no bearing on my enjoyment of it, but the way they overestimated the European market and how it will impact future tours (both Pearl Jam & others) is worthy of discussion. 

I know I’m significantly less enthusiastic about getting tickets right away. I still don’t have tickets for one of my hometown shows… I’m going to wait until the last minute & see what deals I can get, if any. (I think my chances are good). 

• pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,043
    Whether or not a show is sold out has no bearing on my enjoyment of it, but the way they overestimated the European market and how it will impact future tours (both Pearl Jam & others) is worthy of discussion. 

I know I’m significantly less enthusiastic about getting tickets right away. I still don’t have tickets for one of my hometown shows… I’m going to wait until the last minute & see what deals I can get, if any. (I think my chances are good). 

Yes this is the lingering concern into the future.......I hope it doesnt keep the band away from these shows in the years to come 
  • ilockyerilockyer Posts: 2,269
    pdalowsky said:

Yes this is the lingering concern into the future.......I hope it doesnt keep the band away from these shows in the years to come 
    If the promoter has made their guarantee then nothing will change. If they've had to go back and renegotiate the fees then maybe? .
    The secret to a happy ending is knowing when to roll the credits
  • tino_11tino_11 Posts: 2,097
    ilockyer said:
    pdalowsky said:

If the promoter has made their guarantee then nothing will change. If they've had to go back and renegotiate the fees then maybe? .
    If the promoter got burned, PJ will not command the same fees in the future over here. 

But add the usual Netherlands, Italy etc shows, festival appearances, announce the tour earlier, and charge in line with Foos/KoL etc. and I’m sure there’s money still to be made! 
    'F*** the pessimists. F*** 'em.' Eddie Vedder
  • evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,891
    No one likes last kiss except a select few of the girlfriends/wives who get brought to the show by their boyfriends/husbands. 

Not sure who this song is supposed to appeal to or why it is still played. 
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • devonfzdevonfz Posts: 165
    Very interesting thread both sides make great points couple things on my end the Black Keys just canceled their whole tour and fire their management over the North American tour, and it looks like they were away trying to overcharge for their shows for what people are willing to pay and then the other thing is, they’re only doing nine shows in Europe over 23 days that doesn’t even include travel. Their overhead must be pretty good and then as far as what the band is paid I’m not sure 100% but don’t they have a set fee and the promoter is responsible for the rest? I know I wonder if the shorter settlers have anything to do with it
  • Its_ImbasIts_Imbas Posts: 27
    I’m hoping for Last Kiss for Berlin 1. I know I’m in the minority but my two daughters will be joining me and they will lose their minds (first show) in wishing for good vibes for all I suppose any haters can use the bathroom or buy beer/merch 
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,834
    You guys suck the fun out of a Pearl Jam tour.  Go. Don’t go.  Whatever.

Pumped for Dublin!
  • SHZASHZA Posts: 3,889
    vedpunk said:
    Last Europe tour?  They should have toured the Southeast US instead and would have sold more tickets with less overhead.  
    Probably not an outrageous take.  Europe is an interesting study for this tour and this band.  

I think Europe sells best when they are in more desirable locations for US travelers with a better path to follow.  My guess is this tour is almost exclusively Europeans with very few USA/Canadian travelers. 

Dublin is cool and wish I could have made that... then Hop on over to Manchester (weird spot to land on) then down to a London football stadium show?? They haven't played a football stadium since Soldier Field as far as I know, weird jump to make.  That's just kind of a weird run probably doesn't appeal to much in terms of people outside those cities. 

Dublin > Glasgow/Edinburgh Scotland > Manchester > London normal arena or BST which is basically a super cool festival it seems like - now that's a much better run that draws more interest from traveling fans and could easily be a couple thousand more tickets sold. 

Then they randomly pop over to Berlin...okay so say thats where you start your visit....now you gotta go to fuckin spain after a few days in berlin and the surrounding area?? lol that's wild a huge swath of Europe is just skipped and you pop on a plane to Spain?- That's like playing NYC and then hoping over to El Paso and playing 3 shows between El Paso and Albuquerque  .....the math does not math here - that is just illogical it must have been a massive pay day for the festival so they just threw in 2 extra barcelona shows without really wanting to be on the road.

A more ideal run here would be Berlin x2 > Munich or Frankfurt > France or Switzerland or Milan > Barcelona x1 > festivals - This allows travelers to follow the run, maybe even choose to skip a show so you hit 3 in Germany then several days in Northern / Central Spain before wrapping up a visit in Portugal.

Clearly they made a plan to just avoid going to some of their usual destinations.  For me I passed on Europe not because of pricing but mainly because the path of travel doesn't make any sense for a visitor.  If I am crossing the pond it isn't to exclusively follow PJ. I am going to spend a few days in each city and willing to skip a PJ show on the run to do it. 

People like to say that these shows aren't mostly 10c but they are in fact mostly 10c.  The general public doesn't care to go see pearl jam for $200 USD.  16 shows since 2021 and almost everyone I talked to had seen them multiple times, not a single first timer, and they were almost all 10c or former 10c members. I'm not saying I speak with everyone at these shows because I obviously don't but when you have limited data samples, extrapolation rules apply and these are just the facts.

Combine static and formulaic sets and the band if they continue to go overseas will need to player smaller venues or play a well laid out itinerary and cluster of cities that entices visitors.

The path of travel this time around hurts ticket sales in addition to the inflated costs in my opinion.  It just didn't make sense to try and squeeze in visits and hit a few shows with the way it is scheduled.
    Tottenham isn't an NFL-style football stadium like Soldier field. Football may be the closest analogue but they're still different sports and the stadiums are designed for different purposes 
  • BlueLedbetterBlueLedbetter Posts: 1,292
    If it's only half full I think the band will go all out to make it a special night for those who are there, let's stay positive and enjoy it
  • stonesstones Posts: 276
    edited June 18
    SHZA said:
    vedpunk said:
    Last Europe tour?  They should have toured the Southeast US instead and would have sold more tickets with less overhead.  
    Probably not an outrageous take.  Europe is an interesting study for this tour and this band.  

I think Europe sells best when they are in more desirable locations for US travelers with a better path to follow.  My guess is this tour is almost exclusively Europeans with very few USA/Canadian travelers. 

Dublin is cool and wish I could have made that... then Hop on over to Manchester (weird spot to land on) then down to a London football stadium show?? They haven't played a football stadium since Soldier Field as far as I know, weird jump to make.  That's just kind of a weird run probably doesn't appeal to much in terms of people outside those cities. 

Dublin > Glasgow/Edinburgh Scotland > Manchester > London normal arena or BST which is basically a super cool festival it seems like - now that's a much better run that draws more interest from traveling fans and could easily be a couple thousand more tickets sold. 

Then they randomly pop over to Berlin...okay so say thats where you start your visit....now you gotta go to fuckin spain after a few days in berlin and the surrounding area?? lol that's wild a huge swath of Europe is just skipped and you pop on a plane to Spain?- That's like playing NYC and then hoping over to El Paso and playing 3 shows between El Paso and Albuquerque  .....the math does not math here - that is just illogical it must have been a massive pay day for the festival so they just threw in 2 extra barcelona shows without really wanting to be on the road.

A more ideal run here would be Berlin x2 > Munich or Frankfurt > France or Switzerland or Milan > Barcelona x1 > festivals - This allows travelers to follow the run, maybe even choose to skip a show so you hit 3 in Germany then several days in Northern / Central Spain before wrapping up a visit in Portugal.

Clearly they made a plan to just avoid going to some of their usual destinations.  For me I passed on Europe not because of pricing but mainly because the path of travel doesn't make any sense for a visitor.  If I am crossing the pond it isn't to exclusively follow PJ. I am going to spend a few days in each city and willing to skip a PJ show on the run to do it. 

People like to say that these shows aren't mostly 10c but they are in fact mostly 10c.  The general public doesn't care to go see pearl jam for $200 USD.  16 shows since 2021 and almost everyone I talked to had seen them multiple times, not a single first timer, and they were almost all 10c or former 10c members. I'm not saying I speak with everyone at these shows because I obviously don't but when you have limited data samples, extrapolation rules apply and these are just the facts.

Combine static and formulaic sets and the band if they continue to go overseas will need to player smaller venues or play a well laid out itinerary and cluster of cities that entices visitors.

The path of travel this time around hurts ticket sales in addition to the inflated costs in my opinion.  It just didn't make sense to try and squeeze in visits and hit a few shows with the way it is scheduled.
    Tottenham isn't an NFL-style football stadium like Soldier field. Football may be the closest analogue but they're still different sports and the stadiums are designed for different purposes 
    The NFL co-funded the construction of the Tottenham stadium which is partly designed to host the NFL London games. It can be converted with different fields/pitches (depending on the sport) and honestly isn’t really very different from a modern NFL stadium (MetLife, So-Fi)… though not the same as Soldier Field which is one of, if not the oldest stadiums in the NFL.
  • EB236418EB236418 Posts: 10
    Don’t know if already posted, but has made the Sky money blog this morning:
    https://news.sky.com/story/inflation-interest-rates-money-latest-sky-news-blog-13040934?postid=7835530#liveblog-body
  • aisleseatsaisleseats Posts: 1,403
    EB236418 said:
    I'm surprised so many people are surprised by this. "Dynamic Pricing" as they call it, has been Ticketmaster's primary model for over a decade. I've been screwed by it numerous times. 
    I remember U2 came to Arrowhead Stadium back in 2017. I had never been much of a U2 fan, but wanted to cross them off the bucket list. However, it wasn't worth it to me pay the high prices they were initially charging for lowers. So, the day tickets went on sale, I bought a pair of front row upper deck tickets for $119 each. The show didn't sell well. And by the week of the show, they had dropped tickets in my same section and row down to $29 each. Same thing happened at a Foo show in Memphis early the following year.
    The first few times it happened to me, I was as shocked and outraged as all these people. I called TM expecting some kind of refund on the difference. And each time, I was told it was just their dynamic pricing policy, and there was nothing I could do. There would be no refunds.
    Unfortunately, it's a TM world, and we're all forced to live in it.

https://www.jacksonville.com/story/entertainment/local/2011/04/19/ticketmaster-roll-out-dynamic-pricing/15906803007/
  • ilockyerilockyer Posts: 2,269
    EB236418 said:
    I'm surprised so many people are surprised by this. "Dynamic Pricing" as they call it, has been Ticketmaster's primary model for over a decade. I've been screwed by it numerous times. 

It's fairly new here in the UK/Europe. The Springsteen and AC/DC tours brought it to the UK and Ireland, from what I can tell Pearl Jam is one of the first to use it in mainland Europe. 
    The secret to a happy ending is knowing when to roll the credits
  • drfoxdrfox Posts: 1,278
    EB236418 said:
    I remember U2 came to Arrowhead Stadium back in 2017. I had never been much of a U2 fan, but wanted to cross them off the bucket list. However, it wasn't worth it to me pay the high prices they were initially charging for lowers. So, the day tickets went on sale, I bought a pair of front row upper deck tickets for $119 each. The show didn't sell well. And by the week of the show, they had dropped tickets in my same section and row down to $29 each. Same thing happened at a Foo show in Memphis early the following year.
    The first few times it happened to me, I was as shocked and outraged as all these people. I called TM expecting some kind of refund on the difference. And each time, I was told it was just their dynamic pricing policy, and there was nothing I could do. There would be no refunds.

https://www.jacksonville.com/story/entertainment/local/2011/04/19/ticketmaster-roll-out-dynamic-pricing/15906803007/
    New to the U.K. in the last 12 months or so 
    stones said:
    SHZA said:
    vedpunk said:

The NFL co-funded the construction of the Tottenham stadium which is partly designed to host the NFL London games. It can be converted with different fields/pitches (depending on the sport) and honestly isn’t really very different from a modern NFL stadium (MetLife, So-Fi)… though not the same as Soldier Field which is one of, if not the oldest stadiums in the NFL.
    Fair enough. I suppose the seating capacity is comparable to many NFL stadiums in any event 
  • Force Of NatureForce Of Nature Posts: 1,062
    I remember at Leeds 2014 Ed saying something along the lines of he would pay for us all to go along to Milton Keynes as it wasnt selling.  When I was there it seemed pretty full and I had great time regardless.
    Im sure it wouldnt be totally noticeable and 100% wont take any enjoyment from my experience so Im not worried how it sells.  As long as it sold 1 ticket to me I couldnt care about the rest.
  • benjsbenjs Posts: 9,097
    EB236418 said:

No, you're not forced to live in it - only if the artist elects to force you to live in it. Sturgill Simpson's tour just announced explicitly refused dynamic ticket pricing, and is only allowing face-value ticket resale. If there's dynamic pricing, it's because the artist agreed to it.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • MikeDigsMikeDigs Santa Monica, CA Posts: 1,081
    Its_Imbas said:
    I’m hoping for Last Kiss for Berlin 1. I know I’m in the minority but my two daughters will be joining me and they will lose their minds (first show) in wishing for good vibes for all I suppose any haters can use the bathroom or buy beer/merch 
    Something Special reminds me of Last Kiss, but a better and newer song, plus it's an original Pearl Jam song.  Given that your daughters are going, wouldn't you rather get Something Special?
  • BloodMeridian80BloodMeridian80 Seattle Posts: 647
    benjs said:
    EB236418 said:

No, you're not forced to live in it - only if the artist elects to force you to live in it. Sturgill Simpson's tour just announced explicitly refused dynamic ticket pricing, and is only allowing face-value ticket resale. If there's dynamic pricing, it's because the artist agreed to it.
    Not disagreeing necessarily, dynamic pricing is a choice/option, but it’s more complicated than this. Not having dynamic pricing opens the door to potential scalping. Yes, Johnny Blue Skies and other artists who chose this path will try to keep bots/scalpers (TM) from purchasing tickets to flip at higher prices, but not sure any artist has won that battle. His tour will also have ‘platinum tickets’. 

It’s all a negotiation between TM and artists, each with pros and cons, and ultimately TM gets theirs. I have little doubt that if PJ negotiated dynamic pricing out, people would be bitching about platinum tickets and/or having to buy tickets on secondary market at higher price.
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,516
    EB236418 said:

The whole dynamic pricing thing works, if people continue the mindset that they need to buy tickets right away during the original onsale.  It's becoming clearer, that with dynamic pricing, it's inverted.   If you have the patience, it's all about waiting until the last minute to buy tickets.

I struggle with this because I have to travel to shows (as I live on an Island), so booking a ferry, hotel, days off work, it doesn't feel good to do without knowing you have tickets.   I would suspect for the overwhelming number of people that attend shows that don't require travel, the mindset is changing.  As time goes on, more and more people are realizing you don't buy tickets at the beginning, you buy them at the end. 

It's kind of nice seeing this stuff start to backfire.  Except for the odd insanely popular artist, where it's going to be crazy no matter what, TM is retraining people's buying habits through dynamic pricing.    I wonder what the long term impact will be.  Almost no one buys tickets at the onsale, because better deals are to be had closer to showtime?
    Zod said:
    EB236418 said:

The whole dynamic pricing thing works, if people continue the mindset that they need to buy tickets right away during the original onsale.  It's becoming clearer, that with dynamic pricing, it's inverted.   If you have the patience, it's all about waiting until the last minute to buy tickets.

I struggle with this because I have to travel to shows (as I live on an Island), so booking a ferry, hotel, days off work, it doesn't feel good to do without knowing you have tickets.   I would suspect for the overwhelming number of people that attend shows that don't require travel, the mindset is changing.  As time goes on, more and more people are realizing you don't buy tickets at the beginning, you buy them at the end. 

It's kind of nice seeing this stuff start to backfire.  Except for the odd insanely popular artist, where it's going to be crazy no matter what, TM is retraining people's buying habits through dynamic pricing.    I wonder what the long term impact will be.  Almost no one buys tickets at the onsale, because better deals are to be had closer to showtime?
    People are still going to buy during the initial sale. Rich people or super fans who are willing to shell out big bucks for the VIP package or platinum seating, as well as fans who aren't as savvy and are caught up in the hype. Savvy fans who know great seats will be available for a lower price will wait 
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,516
    SHZA said:
    Zod said:
    EB236418 said:

People are still going to buy during the initial sale. Rich people or super fans who are willing to shell out big bucks for the VIP package or platinum seating, as well as fans who aren't as savvy and are caught up in the hype. Savvy fans who know great seats will be available for a lower price will wait 
    Yah, die hards absolutely.  Non-Savvy fans. They're just behind the eight ball.  They'll figure it out eventually and think's will change.  The deeper we get into dynamic pricing, the more people will adjust their buying habits.
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,425
    Dynamic pricing is just new to the Pearl Jam world. It has been around forever. If the casual fans to any band have not caught on yet they never will. 
  • Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,590
    Zod said:
    EB236418 said:

I think shows might start to get cancelled early on if nothing sells right away.  
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission