London show selling terribly?

Comments

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,424
    Selling terribly? Or just not filling up the place?
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • 100 Pacer100 Pacer Posts: 8,900
    Toying with the idea of London last minute. The kids leave for camp the morning of the 28th so would have to fly out immediately afterwards to arrive early on the 29th. How would I best get from London centre to the venue and back?
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Missoula, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Philip_IrelandPhilip_Ireland Posts: 663
    Selling terribly? Or just not filling up the place?
    Both- did you not see this?

https://www.reddit.com/r/pearljam/comments/1defeng/2_weeks_out_has_a_pj_london_show_ever_sold_this/
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 13,488
    100 Pacer said:
    Toying with the idea of London last minute. The kids leave for camp the morning of the 28th so would have to fly out immediately afterwards to arrive early on the 29th. How would I best get from London centre to the venue and back?
    Which airport 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    Centre of London on a train very easily 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • 100 Pacer100 Pacer Posts: 8,900
    100 Pacer said:
    Which airport 
    Heathrow I imagine as I’m married to Air Canada’s loyalty program and that’s the only option when booking with points.
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Missoula, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,043
    pdalowsky said:
    If they switched the show to the 02 at this point how would that work logistically? Is that even feasible at this point?
    Surely they have sold more than the O2 capacity?
    22-23000? i'm not sure on the current graphics....
    100 Pacer said:
    100 Pacer said:
    Which airport 
    Heathrow I imagine as I’m married to Air Canada’s loyalty program and that’s the only option when booking with points.
    Now this sounds like a plan. 

Heathrow is definitely the most convenient in terms of location. 

100 Pacer said:
    100 Pacer said:
    Which airport 
    Now let me know if you need any help finding a ticket LOL
  • Zen23Zen23 Posts: 453
    pdalowsky said:
    pdalowsky said:
    If they switched the show to the 02 at this point how would that work logistically? Is that even feasible at this point?
    I'm not so sure about that either. Especially as we don't know how many tickets are still available in the front and rear standing area. My gut feeling tells me that possibly all ticket holders would still fit into the O2 Arena. 
  • beano.79beano.79 Posts: 736
    Zen23 said:
    pdalowsky said:
    pdalowsky said:
    I'm not so sure about that either. Especially as we don't know how many tickets are still available in the front and rear standing area. My gut feeling tells me that possibly all ticket holders would still fit into the O2 Arena. 
    But people who have chosen to stand would not all get standing tickets at the 02. 

It's a looong way from a sell out but the capacity for a concert there is 50,000 as the whole of one end isnt used. So even if it's only half sold a concert for 25,000 fans is still very much worth doing, and I'd guess it's more than half sold
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,080
    edited June 14
    Taylor Swift sold 60.000 tickets to Friends Arena in Sthlm. 
    Pearl jam sold 23.000 tickets at the same arena. 

Can’t they just move the stage closer and make the room smaller? Like for PJ at Friends. 

Maybe to much of a hassle moving peoples seat
    locations around 

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • HaijayHaijay Posts: 374
    beano.79 said:
    Zen23 said:
    pdalowsky said:
    pdalowsky said:
    But people who have chosen to stand would not all get standing tickets at the 02. 

It's a looong way from a sell out but the capacity for a concert there is 50,000 as the whole of one end isnt used. So even if it's only half sold a concert for 25,000 fans is still very much worth doing, and I'd guess it's more than half sold
    RHCP drew around 43,000 and it was close to a sellout. You could see some rows of empty seats on youtube, but it was close
    edited June 14
    drfox said:
    beano.79 said:
    drfox said:
    It’s not the ticket prices it’s the late announcement when lots of people had already booked to see other concerts 
    All the noise on social media over the last few months points to it being the ticket prices 
    Exactly- of course it’s the price. Second they are touring a bombing album 
    Is it bombing? Reached #2 here with minimal promotion. Doing no different to other similar bands from the same era.
    Reached number 2 briefly then tumbled. It lasted about a week on the Billboard charts- there are a multitude of 50 year old albums that are selling better than it. See article below and bear in mind that it’s a month old. It’s definitely not selling as expected. 

Original post updated for charts for week ending June 15, 2024.

"Wreckage" climbs to No. 9 at alternative radio, No. 8 at mainstream rock and No. 6 at Triple-A. It also moves up from No. 36 to No. 28 on the Canada Rock chart.

Dark Matter hangs on in the top 50 of Top Current Album Sales for a seventh week, selling between 1,700 and 1,800 copies.
    That ‘Wreckage’ song title speaks for itself. They have a few of those songs on every album, please- do something a little/ lot more interesting than this standard ballad fluff! Nobody wants to hear this on an album!!!!
  • matt84matt84 Posts: 708
    drfox said:
    beano.79 said:
    drfox said:
    It’s not the ticket prices it’s the late announcement when lots of people had already booked to see other concerts 
    All the noise on social media over the last few months points to it being the ticket prices 
    Is it bombing? Reached #2 here with minimal promotion. Doing no different to other similar bands from the same era.
    Reached number 2 briefly then tumbled. It lasted about a week on the Billboard charts- there are a multitude of 50 year old albums that are selling better than it. See article below and bear in mind that it’s a month old. It’s definitely not selling as expected. 

"Wreckage" climbs to No. 9 at alternative radio, No. 8 at mainstream rock and No. 6 at Triple-A. It also moves up from No. 36 to No. 28 on the Canada Rock chart.

Dark Matter hangs on in the top 50 of Top Current Album Sales for a seventh week, selling between 1,700 and 1,800 copies.
    That ‘Wreckage’ song title speaks for itself. They have a few of those songs on every album, please- do something a little/ lot more interesting than this standard ballad fluff! Nobody wants to hear this on an album!!!!
    Kind of disagree. Although ‘Wreckage’ isn’t a great song - ‘Sirens’ and ‘Just Breath’ are fantastic.
  • BrainofBGABrainofBGA Posts: 4,151
    Pearl Jam’s Australian tour has sold well, however I’m not sure of the exact figures, but there was great hype and buzz when tix first went on sale, and extra shows were added. Partly due to the fact they haven’t been here for 10years. 

They’ve been to Europe plenty of times over the last 10 years in comparison. Maybe add in some over saturation of the European market to high tkt costs as a reason for lower sales. If casual fans have seen them in the last few years then they’ll baulk at those prices. I’m sure some casual here in Australia paid up because it’s been 10 years since we’ve seen them. And they may never come again. !? 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
    edited June 14
    Pearl Jam’s Australian tour has sold well, however I’m not sure of the exact figures, but there was great hype and buzz when tix first went on sale, and extra shows were added. Partly due to the fact they haven’t been here for 10years. 

They’ve been to Europe plenty of times over the last 10 years in comparison. Maybe add in some over saturation of the European market to high tkt costs as a reason for lower sales. If casual fans have seen them in the last few years then they’ll baulk at those prices. I’m sure some casual here in Australia paid up because it’s been 10 years since we’ve seen them. And they may never come again. !? 
    What?? They havnt played in Ireland in 14 years and people are still baulking at the prices! Europe plenty of times?  Select places. They are a band that is big in the  US that can play big venues in the US but have faltered in trying to play big venues outside the US and are charging US ticket prices on this tour and the tickets have not sold!
    Post edited by Philip_Ireland on
  • bicyclejoebicyclejoe Posts: 1,203
    drfox said:
    It’s the ticket prices. At least it is for me.
    My Pearl Jam Road: 10/22/90 Seattle | 12/22/90 Seattle, Moore Theater | 9/29/92 Seattle, Magnusson Park, Drop in the Park | 9/5/93 The Gorge, with Neil Young and Blind Melon | 7/20/06 Portland, Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall with Sleater-Kinney | 7/22/06 The Gorge, 10/21/06 Mountain View, Shoreline Ampitheatre, Bridge School Benefit | 9/21/09 Seattle | 9/22/09 Seattle | 9/26/09 Portland, OR | 7/14/2011 Eddie Vedder, Portland, OR | 11/29/13 Portland, OR
  • BrainofBGABrainofBGA Posts: 4,151

What?? They havnt played in Ireland in 14 years and people are still baulking at the prices! Europe plenty of times?  Select places. They are a band that is big in the  US that can play big venues in the US but have faltered in trying to play big venues outside the US and are charging US ticket prices on this tour and the tickets have not sold!
    Pearl Jam have been to ‘Europe’ in 2024, 2022, 2018, 2014. Thats four times over a 10 year period. For this band that’s plenty, considering their touring and album schedule. I’m just saying that if casual fans had been to see them recently then maybe that’s one reason why they aren’t going this time along with increased tkt pricing. And to be fair, Ireland is a lot closer to those Euro countries than Australia is, so the Irish have still had good opportunities to go see them if they really want to as it’s a short flight and less expensive than me flying from Aus to say the states or euro. 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • RyanRyan Posts: 1,098
    drfox said:
    beano.79 said:
    drfox said:

If you don’t like the new record, and the price of tickets is too high, then why bother going to the show?
    And if you’re experience a, “cost of living crisis” maybe skip the shows, stop complaining in multiple threads and use the time/resources to look for a part-time job?

Regarding the Europe ticket sales, I’ve seen it mentioned once or twice but I don’t think it can be understated that way fewer North Americans are travelling to UK/EU shows this year.  With how many shows there are on “home soil” for us, I can do like 4-6 shows for the same cost Berlin would have been.  Berlin flights are close to $2000 return, while I paid about $380 return for both Seattle and LA, and $270 for Vancouver.  My flights + hotels for those three cities were probably less than just the Berlin flight would be.  
    On the other hand, if there are zero or limited North American shows, like in 2018, I’d 100% had picked a city getting two shows in Europe.  
    Finally, some of the usual popular places to visit got skipped (Italy, Amsterdam) and nothing that is a bit “different” to visit like Budapest or Krakow this time around.
    2003 - June 15 Fargo
    2005 - Sept 1 George, Sept 8 Winnipeg
    2006 - May 9/10 Toronto, June 26/27 St. Paul, July 22/23 George, Oct 21/22 Mountain View
    2007 - Aug 2/5 Chicago
    2008 - June 22 Washington, June 24/25 New York
    2009 - Aug 21 Toronto, Aug 23/24 Chicago, Sept 21/22 Seattle, Oct 27/28/30/31 Philadelphia
    2010 - May 15 Hartford, May 17 Boston, Oct 23/24 Mountain View
    2011 - Sept 3/4 Alpine Valley, Sept 11/12 Toronto, Sept 17 Winnipeg, Sept 19 Saskatoon
    2012 - Sept 30 Missoula
    2013 - July 16 London, July 19 Chicago, Oct 12 Buffalo, Dec 2 Calgary, Dec 4 Vancouver, Dec 6 Seattle
    2014 - Oct 16 Detroit, Oct 19 St. Paul, Oct 20 Milwaukee
    2015 - Sept 23 (Colbert)/Sept 26, New York
    2016 - Apr 28/29 Philadelphia, May 10/12 Toronto, Aug 20/22 Chicago
  • vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 888
    edited June 15
    Maybe they should stop playing shows in Europe so often to less enthusiastic fans not willing to pay up and instead play more cities in their home country and other parts of the world to more die hard fans that are more appreciative and willing to spend money on the best live band on the planet.
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,425
    vedpunk said:
    Maybe they should stop playing shows in Europe so often to less enthusiastic fans not willing to pay up and instead play more cities in their home country and other parts of the world to more die hard fans that are more appreciative and willing to spend money on the best live band on the planet.
    If they played a show in Texas at a venue the same size as the one in London do you think the sales would be any different? 
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,867
    PJNB said:
    vedpunk said:
    If they played a show in Texas at a venue the same size as the one in London do you think the sales would be any different? 
    Yes, people from the north would travel
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • marumarukomarumaruko Posts: 212
    Ryan said:
    drfox said:
    beano.79 said:
    drfox said:

If you don’t like the new record, and the price of tickets is too high, then why bother going to the show?
    And if you’re experience a, “cost of living crisis” maybe skip the shows, stop complaining in multiple threads and use the time/resources to look for a part-time job?

Regarding the Europe ticket sales, I’ve seen it mentioned once or twice but I don’t think it can be understated that way fewer North Americans are travelling to UK/EU shows this year.  With how many shows there are on “home soil” for us, I can do like 4-6 shows for the same cost Berlin would have been.  Berlin flights are close to $2000 return, while I paid about $380 return for both Seattle and LA, and $270 for Vancouver.  My flights + hotels for those three cities were probably less than just the Berlin flight would be.  
    On the other hand, if there are zero or limited North American shows, like in 2018, I’d 100% had picked a city getting two shows in Europe.  
    Finally, some of the usual popular places to visit got skipped (Italy, Amsterdam) and nothing that is a bit “different” to visit like Budapest or Krakow this time around.
    Wondered why Americans are so popular in Europe sometimes? Read this comment. 

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,080
    vedpunk said:
    Be less bitter
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    Less enthusiastic and not willing to pay up. Jog on mate
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Zen23Zen23 Posts: 453
    edited June 15
    vedpunk said:
    I love posts like this. Because you can twist them so wonderfully. Like this, for example:

Maybe they should stop playing shows in their home country so often to overenthusiastic fans willing to pay excessive amounts of money for one ticket and instead play more new cities and venues in Europe and other parts of the world to more down to earth fans who are just as appreciative and willing to spend a reasonable amount of money on the best live band on the planet and at the same time help the band to gain great new experiences in new places and come back down to earth.

And before a shitstorm breaks out. These lines are just as exaggerated as the ones I quoted. With the difference that I deliberately exaggerated it. But I'm not so sure about the author of the quote.
    Post edited by Zen23 on
  • RyanRyan Posts: 1,098
    Ryan said:
    drfox said:
    beano.79 said:
    drfox said:

A) I’m not american
    B) I can’t imagine disliking a band’s new record, and thinking they’re charging too much for concert tickets, and still be wasting time complaining about it on a message board four months after tickets went on sale.  
    2003 - June 15 Fargo
    2005 - Sept 1 George, Sept 8 Winnipeg
    2006 - May 9/10 Toronto, June 26/27 St. Paul, July 22/23 George, Oct 21/22 Mountain View
    2007 - Aug 2/5 Chicago
    2008 - June 22 Washington, June 24/25 New York
    2009 - Aug 21 Toronto, Aug 23/24 Chicago, Sept 21/22 Seattle, Oct 27/28/30/31 Philadelphia
    2010 - May 15 Hartford, May 17 Boston, Oct 23/24 Mountain View
    2011 - Sept 3/4 Alpine Valley, Sept 11/12 Toronto, Sept 17 Winnipeg, Sept 19 Saskatoon
    2012 - Sept 30 Missoula
    2013 - July 16 London, July 19 Chicago, Oct 12 Buffalo, Dec 2 Calgary, Dec 4 Vancouver, Dec 6 Seattle
    2014 - Oct 16 Detroit, Oct 19 St. Paul, Oct 20 Milwaukee
    2015 - Sept 23 (Colbert)/Sept 26, New York
    2016 - Apr 28/29 Philadelphia, May 10/12 Toronto, Aug 20/22 Chicago
    Ryan said:
    drfox said:
    beano.79 said:
    drfox said:

Look for a part-time job! It would be difficult for me to work a part-time job when I already have a full-time one.
    Re the record - people are entitled to their opinions.
    My main point is the ticket prices are crazy and that has been reflected in poor sales as seen in London. Better to charge less and have a full stadium or charge what they are charging and have large empty sections? The first, I think. 
    edited June 15
    Ryan said:
    Ryan said:
    drfox said:
    beano.79 said:
    drfox said:

A) I’m not american
    B) I can’t imagine disliking a band’s new record, and thinking they’re charging too much for concert tickets, and still be wasting time complaining about it on a message board four months after tickets went on sale.  
    Well, it would be all very one sided and fawning if people didn’t complain/offer differing opinions. It’s  not like i’m the first and the ticket price issue has definitely irked people. Just saying!