London show selling terribly?

Comments

• pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,043
    vedpunk said:
    Just because Europe is salty and doesn’t know how the new ticket game works doesn’t mean the band can’t play large arenas and certain stadiums around the world.  They are still a very large draw for many people and the new album is absolute 🔥 live.  Kinda sad and unfortunate they’ll miss an amazing show with new production to protest an extra $50 or so to stick it to the man.  Meanwhile the price of absolutely everything has been inflated around them. 
    I totally see your point but it absolutely does mean that they can't play those stadiums if folk are not prepared to pay in their masses. 

Personally I'd pay double. It is what it is, and I know it'll be the best night of my year. This new album is something I cannot wait to hear live, its an absolute beast of a record. 

But if that doesnt apply to the more casual fan, then we are at a point that such venues are not viable. Naturally Im a little surprised that Green Day are a bigger draw than PJ, but it is what it is. When you find you can still connect with the radio listening public it definitely widens your audience somewhat - I think the Chilis have been beneficiaries of this also
  • Zen23Zen23 Posts: 453
    edited June 20
    stones said:
    Zen23 said:
    vedpunk said:
    Just because Europe is salty and doesn’t know how the new ticket game works doesn’t mean the band can’t play large arenas and certain stadiums around the world.  They are still a very large draw for many people and the new album is absolute 🔥 live.  Kinda sad and unfortunate they’ll miss an amazing show with new production to protest an extra $50 or so to stick it to the man.  Meanwhile the price of absolutely everything has been inflated around them. 
    We know how the new ticket system works. Anyone who is surprised by dynamic pricing and deliberately withheld tickets in 2024 has missed something. And inflation is nothing new to anyone either.

What we have never experienced here, however, is the impertinence of charging this unusually high ticket price of €175 for Germany and €190 for the UK as a standard price. No matter which section you sit in. I've never experienced that at a concert before. And I've been to a lot of pre-sales for myself, friends and family in the last two years. Tool, Foo Fighters, Green Day, Bruce Springsteen, Beyoncé, Slipknot, Coldplay. I've never seen the upper tier cost as much as the lower tier. Why would that be?

I know that they have now adjusted the prices (too late). But the damage has already been done.
    You make a fair point. When I saw Guns n Roses at the same Tottenham stadium, I actually paid more for my tickets than I did for Pearl Jam. But I chose to pay extra to be in the golden circle. That was my choice. With Pearl Jam I entered the 10c lottery and was drawn for the “Front Standing” area which is effectively the same golden circle, and like I said these tickets are cheaper than GnR were a couple of years ago.

But the counterpoint to that was that for GnR I bought through the public sale and I could’ve sat in the upper tier for way less, or pretty much anywhere else in the stadium for a range of prices. Including some Premium seats in the best blocks closest to the stage for inflated prices. The difference is that there was a range of prices available depending on how good the seats were. For PJ there seems to have been a pretty flat pricing structure where even the crappy seats cost as much as the golden circle, and it all changed too late in the day to make much of a difference.
    You are absolutely right. With every word.

Some forum members here think I'm stingy. That I'm not willing to pay 50 euros more for my absolute favorite band. That I think 175 euros is too much for a concert ticket.

All total nonsense. Because I paid the higher price. And not just for one concert. And I don't consider the 175 euros to be excessively outrageous for a seat in the lower tier reasonably close to the stage. But people rightly like to have the choice of which seat they are prepared to pay how much for. And if they are not prepared to pay around 200 euros for a great seat right at the front, then they have the choice of paying less for an inferior seat further away. At least that's how it works with all the other artists I know.

If they had a fair price scale of 175 - 130 - 95 euros for the lower, middle and upper tiers (using the example of Berlin) like everyone else from the outset, there would be at least 2,000 fewer posts in this forum since February. Mine included. And most importantly, the concerts would be sold out.
    Post edited by Zen23 on
  • ilockyerilockyer Posts: 2,269
    pdalowsky said:
    I also see the pull of Glastonbury - purely for the heritage of that festival, although its as far removed from a rock festival now than it ever was and I really would question if a band like PJ is the right band for the typical audience that goes to the farm now. When I saw Radiohead headline there in 1997 it was one of the most spell binding live experiences of my life. RATM too. 

Sadly the make up of Glasto has totally done an about turn, and its hard not to notice that the crowds are more up for Jay Z, Stormzy, and Billy Eyelash than Springsteen and GNR.......

A mini residency at Leeds Arena though? Now that would be heaven. That is a seriously impressive music venue. 
    2010 was the year for them to play if it was going to happen, they were here, Glastonbury had lost U2. That said, Muse playing for expenses only (as Coldplay do) probably meant anyone else was going to be a non starter. 

Glastonbury don't pay very well, historically relying on the drive in album sales to make up for what a band loses in taking a smaller fee (a model I think they will need to review soon). I don't see PJ playing a festival for less than their fee, not with this new management who seem very "out of touch". I like the fact it's gone a bit more diverse in the type of headliners it pulls, there's so much going on that to not feel drawn to having to be in front of the Pyramid because of FOMO. 

Sign me up for that Leeds residency, unless we can have one at Wuhlheide too. 
    The secret to a happy ending is knowing when to roll the credits
    ilockyer said:
    pdalowsky said:
    I also see the pull of Glastonbury - purely for the heritage of that festival, although its as far removed from a rock festival now than it ever was and I really would question if a band like PJ is the right band for the typical audience that goes to the farm now. When I saw Radiohead headline there in 1997 it was one of the most spell binding live experiences of my life. RATM too. 

Sadly the make up of Glasto has totally done an about turn, and its hard not to notice that the crowds are more up for Jay Z, Stormzy, and Billy Eyelash than Springsteen and GNR.......

A mini residency at Leeds Arena though? Now that would be heaven. That is a seriously impressive music venue. 
    2010 was the year for them to play if it was going to happen, they were here, Glastonbury had lost U2. That said, Muse playing for expenses only (as Coldplay do) probably meant anyone else was going to be a non starter. 

Glastonbury don't pay very well, historically relying on the drive in album sales to make up for what a band loses in taking a smaller fee (a model I think they will need to review soon). I don't see PJ playing a festival for less than their fee, not with this new management who seem very "out of touch". I like the fact it's gone a bit more diverse in the type of headliners it pulls, there's so much going on that to not feel drawn to having to be in front of the Pyramid because of FOMO. 

Sign me up for that Leeds residency, unless we can have one at Wuhlheide too. 
    Yeah I was reading an interview a week or so with an artist (I forget the name) who had declined Glastonbury because the fee was far less than it would cost her to actually go with her crew. She was basically saying whilst that might work for headliners with huge audience reach, its not a gamble she could afford to take. That this is her job, and to pay to go work makes very little sense.

Yeah that's not an attractive proposition - especially considering the Glastonbury ticket is the priciest in the land when it comes to Fests. 

It was always a phenomenal weekend however until about 10 years ago when, for me at least, it went down the toilet. I thought it totally lost its identity, the type of crowd it attracted was  a total turn off and it became a huge corporate event. A classic victim of its own success, however not that theyve felt that in terms of demand or its ever increasing popularity. The hype is still very much there. 
  • Tjm007Tjm007 Posts: 178
    vedpunk said:
    Salty - but £180 better off and zero FOMO.
  • benlw86benlw86 Posts: 74
    edited June 20
    Reading and Leeds are far better aligned to PJ than Glastonbury (the line-ups for which have been a bit garbage recently) - even if Reading is largely teenagers, they're usually up for any good band that hits them. The European festivals are even more appropriate though as Rock AM, Rock Werchter would more gladly appreciate PJ. In my experience having lived on both sides of The Channel/La Manica, Brits either don't know who PJ are or consider them dad rock, whereas Europeans appreciate them in the same way US does. 
    benlw86 said:
    Reading and Leeds are far better aligned to PJ than Glastonbury (the line-ups for which have been a bit garbage recently) - even if Reading is largely teenagers, they're usually up for any good band that hits them. The European festivals are even more appropriate though as Rock AM, Rock Werchter would more gladly appreciate PJ. In my experience having lived on both sides of The Channel/La Manica, Brits either don't know who PJ are or consider them dad rock, whereas Europeans appreciate them in the same way US does. 
    The line up in 2006 when PJ headlined was insanely good. That was a truely amazing day out. 

Less Than Jake, Placebo, Serj Tankian, Slayer, my chemical romance....even mastodon 

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,080
    edited June 20
    vedpunk said:
    No need to come in with a shitty attitude, because of some inherit jealousy about Europe having had decent ticket prices without a "game" associated to them, based on sound social democratic values. :)
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • WreckageWreckage Posts: 56
    As predicted by many, there is now a ballot for free tickets on Concert for Carers for London (must work for the NHS or be a care worker).

Link: https://www.concertsforcarers.org.uk/
    Wreckage said:
    As predicted by many, there is now a ballot for free tickets on Concert for Carers for London (must work for the NHS or be a care worker).

Lets hope it gets the place filled up
  • BlueLedbetterBlueLedbetter Posts: 1,292
    Wreckage said:

4 tickets as well must loads left 
  • bzouidenbzouiden Posts: 133
    Man I wish I was in london GA seats at 187 nice.
    Kansas City 1998  /\  Kansas City 2000  /\  Kansas City 2003  /\  St. Louis 2014
    Ohana Encore N1 & N2 2021 /\ St. Louis 2022  /\  OKC 2022  /\  Chicago N1 & N2 2023
    Chicago N1 & N2 2024

• CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Posts: 3,020
    Has PJ ever done tiered ticket pricing? Either in Europe or the US? I've rarely used non fanclub tickets so I'm honestly not sure. 
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,425
    Fenway 16 or 18 did. I think the 10C gave two price options too.
  • sdh8252sdh8252 Posts: 16
    If you wanted a ticket for this show how long would you wait until you booked? It's like some bizarre microeconomics game, I'd personally wait until the day before and see if I could get a premium £20 ticket (I would then feel so guilty stood by people you had paid so much more though)
    Wreckage said:

Do you need to actually be a carer or just work for one of the organisations e.g. admin for one of them?
  • Micheyb21Micheyb21 Posts: 266
    Wreckage said:

Do you need to actually be a carer or just work for one of the organisations e.g. admin for one of them?
    I think you just need to work for them and have ID ie anyone employed in NHS or company registered to one of the commissions 
    2000 Cardiff/ 2006 Paris/ 2011 Toronto/ 2013 Chicago/ 2014 Amsterdam 1 & Milton Keynes, 
    2016 MSG 1 & 2/ 2017 London Ed solo/ 2018 London 1, Padua, Rome, Prague & London 2
    2019 Dusseldorf & Dublin Ed Solo  
    2022 Copenhagen, London 1&2, Budapest, Krakow, Vienna, Prague, Ams 1 & Ams 2
    2024 Manchester, London, Auckland & Sydney
    Micheyb21 said:
    Wreckage said:

I think you just need to work for them and have ID ie anyone employed in NHS or company registered to one of the commissions 
    Thanks its not for me but someone who is in that exact situation 
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,887
    vedpunk said:

I suspect it's less about "sticking it to the man," and more about them just not feeling like they can afford it because the cost of living is skyrocketing.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • ChazzChazz Posts: 1,135
    Hi, sorry I should probably know this, but is the whole front standing section of London GA fan club tickets only?
    Dublin, Reading 06
    London, Copenhagen 07
    MSG 08
    SBE, Manchester, London 09
    Dublin, Belfast, London 10
    Manchester, Berlin 12
    Amsterdam, Milton Keynes 14
    London 18
    London 22
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,757
    beano.79 said:
    drfox said:
    It’s not the ticket prices it’s the late announcement when lots of people had already booked to see other concerts 
    All the noise on social media over the last few months points to it being the ticket prices 
    Exactly- of course it’s the price. Second they are touring a bombing album 
    Bombing? It's doing as well as it can for a band 30+ years into it. Dark Matter the single was a big hit. Wreckage is still climbing.
    I miss igotid88
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,757
    drfox said:
    beano.79 said:
    drfox said:
    It’s not the ticket prices it’s the late announcement when lots of people had already booked to see other concerts 
    All the noise on social media over the last few months points to it being the ticket prices 
    Exactly- of course it’s the price. Second they are touring a bombing album 
    Is it bombing? Reached #2 here with minimal promotion. Doing no different to other similar bands from the same era.
    Reached number 2 briefly then tumbled. It lasted about a week on the Billboard charts- there are a multitude of 50 year old albums that are selling better than it. See article below and bear in mind that it’s a month old. It’s definitely not selling as expected. 

That's because of streaming. They were on the Top Album charts a little bit longer. Pearl Jam for some reason doesn't stream huge numbers. They do fine. But whereas some artists can be #1 because of streams. Pearl Jam has to rely on physical sales.

I miss igotid88
    Anybody done golden circle at spurs before? How does it compare size wise to hyde park ? Planning on just watching the show from futher back if its not too big 
    Anybody done golden circle at spurs before? How does it compare size wise to hyde park ? Planning on just watching the show from futher back if its not too big 
    It’s not massive by any stretch ….. 
  • Father HubbardFather Hubbard Chicago Posts: 1,591
    pdalowsky said:
    It’s not massive by any stretch ….. 
    Did a quick search, do these look about right (for a "standard" endstage setup)
    https://aviewfrommyseat.com/large-photo/229323/Tottenham+Hotspur+Stadium/section-402/row-1/seat-4/
    https://aviewfrommyseat.com/photo/177923/Tottenham+Hotspur+Stadium/section-Suite+320/row-6/seat-697/
    Chazz said:
    Hi, sorry I should probably know this, but is the whole front standing section of London GA fan club tickets only?
    Hi, could anyone confirm this?  I’ve bought 2 front standing resale tickets separately, one is GA3 the other GA5.  I can’t seem to find the TTFC text anywhere in the details, so I’m trying to work out if they both give access to early entry.  Any info would be gratefully received thanks ☺️
    Dublin, Reading 06
    London, Copenhagen 07
    MSG 08
    Manchester, Berlin 12
    London 18
    London 22
  • Force Of NatureForce Of Nature Posts: 1,062
    I’ve got a front standing early entry ticket if anyone wants. PM for details.
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 13,488
    Chazz said:
    Chazz said:
    Hi, could anyone confirm this?  I’ve bought 2 front standing resale tickets separately, one is GA3 the other GA5.  I can’t seem to find the TTFC text anywhere in the details, so I’m trying to work out if they both give access to early entry.  Any info would be gratefully received thanks ☺️
    Only early with TTFC I saw 3 people not let in the 10c line and sent to back of general. Awful
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    Chazz said:
    Chazz said:
    Only early with TTFC I saw 3 people not let in the 10c line and sent to back of general. Awful
    Thanks, I couldn’t remember if London was different to Manchester due to the separate front floor section. Didn’t pay it a lot of attention as I was only going to the one show originally. 
    Dublin, Reading 06
    London, Copenhagen 07
    MSG 08
    Manchester, Berlin 12
    London 18
    London 22
    Chazz said:
    Chazz said:
    The tickets on the TM app now confirm if its early entry ....mine clearly state that as of yesterday