London show selling terribly?

Comments

• BC62528BC62528 Posts: 210
    edited June 18
    Well, if the band decides Europe is no longer a place that is profitable, maybe they will consider coming to Hartford, CT to pack a house and turn out another stellar performance to a crowd that adores them!  COME BACK TO HARTFORD!!!
    Post edited by BC62528 on
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,516
    edited June 18
    PJNB said:
    Dynamic pricing is just new to the Pearl Jam world. It has been around forever. If the casual fans to any band have not caught on yet they never will. 
    It's been around for a decade, but the last few years more and more bands have started to use it.   Many bands tried not to use it in the earlier days. 

I think more and more concert goers are figuring out, not so much that platinum exists, and what it is, but that the way to buy tickets is at the end, not the beginning.   People are still figuring it out, word of mouth still gets around, and I think it will continue to have a larger impact.

It'll take a while.  We all grew up in the environment of buy tickets ASAP or deal with scalpers.   It's going to take even longer for our middle age generations to adapt to that.  I'm guessing the younger generations will adapt quicker.  The question is can TM turn the tide when that mindset gets entrenched.

Even for myself, an experience concert goer.  I've only had the epiphany that waiting until the end is the way to go for the last 2 years.   I was fully aware of platinum tickets and loathed them.. but I wasn't really fully understanding the shift of when to buy tickets.
    Post edited by Zod on
  • Tjm007Tjm007 Posts: 178
    I think it sucks for fans who want to plan ahead.

I also think that as the date approaches fans will make other plans or won’t bother going.

The outcome will be less fans going to gigs as they can’t be bothered being ripped off by TM.
    Tjm007 said:
    I think it sucks for fans who want to plan ahead.

I also think that as the date approaches fans will make other plans or won’t bother going.

The outcome will be less fans going to gigs as they can’t be bothered being ripped off by TM.
    I agree.  It'd be nice if platinum starts to have a negative long term impact.
    Vedd Hedd said:
    Zod said:
    EB236418 said:
    I'm surprised so many people are surprised by this. "Dynamic Pricing" as they call it, has been Ticketmaster's primary model for over a decade. I've been screwed by it numerous times. 
    I remember U2 came to Arrowhead Stadium back in 2017. I had never been much of a U2 fan, but wanted to cross them off the bucket list. However, it wasn't worth it to me pay the high prices they were initially charging for lowers. So, the day tickets went on sale, I bought a pair of front row upper deck tickets for $119 each. The show didn't sell well. And by the week of the show, they had dropped tickets in my same section and row down to $29 each. Same thing happened at a Foo show in Memphis early the following year.
    The first few times it happened to me, I was as shocked and outraged as all these people. I called TM expecting some kind of refund on the difference. And each time, I was told it was just their dynamic pricing policy, and there was nothing I could do. There would be no refunds.
    Unfortunately, it's a TM world, and we're all forced to live in it.

https://www.jacksonville.com/story/entertainment/local/2011/04/19/ticketmaster-roll-out-dynamic-pricing/15906803007/
    The whole dynamic pricing thing works, if people continue the mindset that they need to buy tickets right away during the original onsale.  It's becoming clearer, that with dynamic pricing, it's inverted.   If you have the patience, it's all about waiting until the last minute to buy tickets.

I struggle with this because I have to travel to shows (as I live on an Island), so booking a ferry, hotel, days off work, it doesn't feel good to do without knowing you have tickets.   I would suspect for the overwhelming number of people that attend shows that don't require travel, the mindset is changing.  As time goes on, more and more people are realizing you don't buy tickets at the beginning, you buy them at the end. 

It's kind of nice seeing this stuff start to backfire.  Except for the odd insanely popular artist, where it's going to be crazy no matter what, TM is retraining people's buying habits through dynamic pricing.    I wonder what the long term impact will be.  Almost no one buys tickets at the onsale, because better deals are to be had closer to showtime?
    I think shows might start to get cancelled early on if nothing sells right away.  
    Yah, which would probably be a wake up call for the industry.   They can probably do a show or two on a tour with poor sales, but if this starts spreading... damn...

I do have to say the recent comments about how Europe is much less tolerable about high ticket prices than North America. I had no idea.   Maybe it's spreading.
  • Its_ImbasIts_Imbas Posts: 27
    MikeDigs said:
    Its_Imbas said:
    I’m hoping for Last Kiss for Berlin 1. I know I’m in the minority but my two daughters will be joining me and they will lose their minds (first show) in wishing for good vibes for all I suppose any haters can use the bathroom or buy beer/merch 
    Something Special reminds me of Last Kiss, but a better and newer song, plus it's an original Pearl Jam song.  Given that your daughters are going, wouldn't you rather get Something Special?
    It’s an original and it’s new and I’d be stoked to get it with them especially since it’s a song written to two daughters. Only reason I hope we’d get Last Kiss as well is that my girls have Last Kiss down by heart and could sing (scream) it out loud. No matter what it will be Something Special 
  • Doesn't just seem to just be PJ who are having this problem as the mighty (!) Girls Aloud are offering half price tickets for the O2 this week. 
    Brixton Academy 14/7/93, Wembley Arena 29/5/00, Wembley Arena 18/6/07, London O2 18/8/09, Hyde Park 25/6/10, Manchester 20/6/12, Arras 30/6/12, Werchter 5/7/14, Leeds 8/7/14, Milton Keynes 11/7/14, Mexico City 28/11/15, Toronto 10/5/16, Toronto 12/5/16,  Amsterdam 12/6/18, Amsterdam 13/6/18, London O2 18/6/18, Werchter 7/7/18, London O2 17/7/18, Werchter 30/6/22, Hyde Park 8/7/22, Hyde Park 9/7/22, Budapest 12/7/22, Prague 22/7/22, Amsterdam 24/7/22, Amsterdam 25/7/22, Dublin 22/6/24, Manchester 25/6/24, London 29/6/2024, Berlin 2/7/24, Berlin 3/7/24 
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,080
    I'd watch Girls Aloud

🎵IT'S THE SOUND OF THE UNDERGROUND 🎶 was and is a banger
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • rw160510rw160510 Posts: 944
    I'd watch Girls Aloud

🎵IT'S THE SOUND OF THE UNDERGROUND 🎶 was and is a banger
    I went to see Girls Aloud back in the day ant the Manchester Arena and it was a cracking night out!
    BC62528 said:
    Well, if the band decides Europe is no longer a place that is profitable, maybe they will consider coming to Hartford, CT to pack a house and turn out another stellar performance to a crowd that adores them!  COME BACK TO HARTFORD!!!
    Way to easy to let the Hartford 2008 show go to your head.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Kearn5yKearn5y Posts: 2,804
    Doesn't just seem to just be PJ who are having this problem as the mighty (!) Girls Aloud are offering half price tickets for the O2 this week. 
    Girls Aloud announced extra shows despite original shows not being sold out + they area playing 30 arena shows across the UK and Ireland
    Kearnsy
    GIRL POWAH
  • BenglishBenglish Posts: 3
    You guys suck the fun out of a Pearl Jam tour.  Go. Don’t go.  Whatever.

Pumped for Dublin!
    THIS
    St. Paul 2023
    Noblesville 2023
    Las Vegas N1, N2 2024
    Noblesville 2024

• eboweddieeboweddie Posts: 1,003
    Can't believe euro tour kicks off in Dublin this Saturday 
    .how amazing is that 14 years. It's.been too long

i wish i wish i wish i wish, i guess it never stops
  • Kearn5yKearn5y Posts: 2,804
    eboweddie said:
    Can't believe euro tour kicks off in Dublin this Saturday 
    .how amazing is that 14 years. It's.been too long

Yep. Every time we missed out since then, always thought next time we would get lucky. Cant believe its the 5th European tour later. Cant wait
    Kearnsy
  • Adam HewettAdam Hewett Posts: 120
    I am not 100% convinced it is solely ticket pricing. 

The band is 30+ years old at this point. They're a legacy band, and they're popular, but they are not on the rise commercially anymore, and the fanbase that remains is (per their own words) the fanbase they've always wanted.

McCready had a comment in PJ20 about Neil Young saying you can stay true to your craft as long as you're open to sometimes drawing big numbers (arenas, stadiums) but also drawing smaller numbers (amps, theaters).

Is it that crazy that maybe Pearl Jam is not solely an arena or stadium band these days? Yes, people and media will always pay attention (somewhat) to a new album release. They most likely will sell 50k–100k per record, and hopefully their streaming numbers will stay consistent. Clearly, there will always be a live draw, but maybe we're starting to see a shift in the overall capacity.

Is Pearl Jam open to realizing this change Neil discussed? Why attempt 40k stadiums when you could do a 14k–18k capacity arena? Multiple nights at bigger market arenas and theaters?
  • Zen23Zen23 Posts: 453
    My circle of friends includes both average Pearl Jam fans and die-hard Pearl fans. Everyone has basically always looked forward to seeing the band live in Europe every two years. No sign of oversaturation. This year I got exactly the same reaction from all these people: "The tickets are too expensive" and "It's outrageous that they charge the same price in all areas". I am aware that the tickets are cheaper now. But the damage has already been done.
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,043

The band is 30+ years old at this point. They're a legacy band, and they're popular, but they are not on the rise commercially anymore, and the fanbase that remains is (per their own words) the fanbase they've always wanted.

McCready had a comment in PJ20 about Neil Young saying you can stay true to your craft as long as you're open to sometimes drawing big numbers (arenas, stadiums) but also drawing smaller numbers (amps, theaters).

Is it that crazy that maybe Pearl Jam is not solely an arena or stadium band these days? Yes, people and media will always pay attention (somewhat) to a new album release. They most likely will sell 50k–100k per record, and hopefully their streaming numbers will stay consistent. Clearly, there will always be a live draw, but maybe we're starting to see a shift in the overall capacity.

Is Pearl Jam open to realizing this change Neil discussed? Why attempt 40k stadiums when you could do a 14k–18k capacity arena? Multiple nights at bigger market arenas and theaters?
    TBH I really hope so as stadiums suck 
    pdalowsky said:

They will remain a top draw on the festival circuit 
  • lowbudgetlushlowbudgetlush Posts: 611

I think you could be on to something.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,424

Well let's see...they've sold out two nights at Wrigley and I assume the same at Fenway.

Noblesville was a sell out with at least 24000 tickets sold and they would likely sell a whole lot more if capacity was higher.

Probably not a stadium band but the only stadium show they have is London
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • ilockyerilockyer Posts: 2,269
    pdalowsky said:

I do wonder, they seem to keep having a go at stadiums/large outdoor sized venues, with varied levels of success. It's possible it's just a few that they wanted to play before they're done; I can't believe they'd not want to have a go at Wembley Stadium before they put their amps away for the last time.
    On the 2007 Dusseldorf was supposed to be the football stadium and downsized to arena, Katowice was a stadium (on a co-headline bill). 
    2010 had Hyde Park and Goffertpark in Nijmegen.
    2014 they seemed to really go for it, booking San Siro/Friends Arena/Milton Keynes (all of which were 60K+) and Trieste (admittedly a much smaller setup) alongside traditional arena sized venues.
    2018 they took on the Olympic Stadium in Rome. Smaller stadium in Padua too. 

If they wanted to do Wembley one day, they'd have to price it sensibly, announce it a good time in advance, and make it an only European appearance of the year. 
    The secret to a happy ending is knowing when to roll the credits
  • BrainofBGABrainofBGA Posts: 4,151

Well let's see...they've sold out two nights at Wrigley and I assume the same at Fenway.

Noblesville was a sell out with at least 24000 tickets sold and they would likely sell a whole lot more if capacity was higher.

Probably not a stadium band but the only stadium show they have is London
    The Australian tour is definitely stadiums, which I’m disappointed at. The Melbourne show if sold out should have more than 40k and there is a second on sale. Having said that it’s been 10 years and there is a thirst here to see them live. I’d say there are some travellers coming from interstate (Perth, Adelaide etc) and plenty of casual fans will turn up to see them as it’s been too long and they know the big hits. 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 888
    edited June 20
    Just because Europe is salty and doesn’t know how the new ticket game works doesn’t mean the band can’t play large arenas and certain stadiums around the world.  They are still a very large draw for many people and the new album is absolute 🔥 live.  Kinda sad and unfortunate they’ll miss an amazing show with new production to protest an extra $50 or so to stick it to the man.  Meanwhile the price of absolutely everything has been inflated around them. 
    Post edited by vedpunk on
    ilockyer said:
    pdalowsky said:

I do wonder, they seem to keep having a go at stadiums/large outdoor sized venues, with varied levels of success. It's possible it's just a few that they wanted to play before they're done; I can't believe they'd not want to have a go at Wembley Stadium before they put their amps away for the last time.
    On the 2007 Dusseldorf was supposed to be the football stadium and downsized to arena, Katowice was a stadium (on a co-headline bill). 
    2014 they seemed to really go for it, booking San Siro/Friends Arena/Milton Keynes (all of which were 60K+) and Trieste (admittedly a much smaller setup) alongside traditional arena sized venues.

If they wanted to do Wembley one day, they'd have to price it sensibly, announce it a good time in advance, and make it an only European appearance of the year. 
    Haven't they already done Wembley?  Maybe they aren't worried about it?  Plus it holds over 100,000 people... that's a lot of people :)

• lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 13,488
    Wembley arena. Is much smaller 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Zen23Zen23 Posts: 453
    vedpunk said:
    Just because Europe is salty and doesn’t know how the new ticket game works doesn’t mean the band can’t play large arenas and certain stadiums around the world.  They are still a very large draw for many people and the new album is absolute 🔥 live.  Kinda sad and unfortunate they’ll miss an amazing show with new production to protest an extra $50 or so to stick it to the man.  Meanwhile the price of absolutely everything has been inflated around them. 
    We know how the new ticket system works. Anyone who is surprised by dynamic pricing and deliberately withheld tickets in 2024 has missed something. And inflation is nothing new to anyone either.

What we have never experienced here, however, is the impertinence of charging this unusually high ticket price of €175 for Germany and €190 for the UK as a standard price. No matter which section you sit in. I've never experienced that at a concert before. And I've been to a lot of pre-sales for myself, friends and family in the last two years. Tool, Foo Fighters, Green Day, Bruce Springsteen, Beyoncé, Slipknot, Coldplay. I've never seen the upper tier cost as much as the lower tier. Why would that be?

I know that they have now adjusted the prices (too late). But the damage has already been done.
  • stonesstones Posts: 276
    Zen23 said:
    vedpunk said:
    We know how the new ticket system works. Anyone who is surprised by dynamic pricing and deliberately withheld tickets in 2024 has missed something. And inflation is nothing new to anyone either.

What we have never experienced here, however, is the impertinence of charging this unusually high ticket price of €175 for Germany and €190 for the UK as a standard price. No matter which section you sit in. I've never experienced that at a concert before. And I've been to a lot of pre-sales for myself, friends and family in the last two years. Tool, Foo Fighters, Green Day, Bruce Springsteen, Beyoncé, Slipknot, Coldplay. I've never seen the upper tier cost as much as the lower tier. Why would that be?

I know that they have now adjusted the prices (too late). But the damage has already been done.
    You make a fair point. When I saw Guns n Roses at the same Tottenham stadium, I actually paid more for my tickets than I did for Pearl Jam. But I chose to pay extra to be in the golden circle. That was my choice. With Pearl Jam I entered the 10c lottery and was drawn for the “Front Standing” area which is effectively the same golden circle, and like I said these tickets are cheaper than GnR were a couple of years ago.

But the counterpoint to that was that for GnR I bought through the public sale and I could’ve sat in the upper tier for way less, or pretty much anywhere else in the stadium for a range of prices. Including some Premium seats in the best blocks closest to the stage for inflated prices. The difference is that there was a range of prices available depending on how good the seats were. For PJ there seems to have been a pretty flat pricing structure where even the crappy seats cost as much as the golden circle, and it all changed too late in the day to make much of a difference.
    Zod said:
    ilockyer said:
    pdalowsky said:

Haven't they already done Wembley?  Maybe they aren't worried about it?  Plus it holds over 100,000 people... that's a lot of people :)

No never. Ed played it when the Who played, but it was half full at best when he was on, and it didnt quote work as a result. The who crowd turned up on time of course and it was packed, Ed came out for a track or two so at least experienced a packed out Wembley at that point. 

I can definitely see the pull of Wembley for a band, to look out at so many people when the sun goes down......and that stadium is impressive in itself. Green Day have that place almost sold out next week and I'd love to be there but when it comes to that clash there was only ever one winner for me. 

I also see the pull of Glastonbury - purely for the heritage of that festival, although its as far removed from a rock festival now than it ever was and I really would question if a band like PJ is the right band for the typical audience that goes to the farm now. When I saw Radiohead headline there in 1997 it was one of the most spell binding live experiences of my life. RATM too. 

Sadly the make up of Glasto has totally done an about turn, and its hard not to notice that the crowds are more up for Jay Z, Stormzy, and Billy Eyelash than Springsteen and GNR.......

A mini residency at Leeds Arena though? Now that would be heaven. That is a seriously impressive music venue. 
    stones said:
    Zen23 said:
    vedpunk said:

You make a fair point. When I saw Guns n Roses at the same Tottenham stadium, I actually paid more for my tickets than I did for Pearl Jam. But I chose to pay extra to be in the golden circle. That was my choice. With Pearl Jam I entered the 10c lottery and was drawn for the “Front Standing” area which is effectively the same golden circle, and like I said these tickets are cheaper than GnR were a couple of years ago.

But the counterpoint to that was that for GnR I bought through the public sale and I could’ve sat in the upper tier for way less, or pretty much anywhere else in the stadium for a range of prices. Including some Premium seats in the best blocks closest to the stage for inflated prices. The difference is that there was a range of prices available depending on how good the seats were. For PJ there seems to have been a pretty flat pricing structure where even the crappy seats cost as much as the golden circle, and it all changed too late in the day to make much of a difference.
    Did the same, although mine was the West Ham stadium a few years earlier. It was phenomenal and I had no regrets dropping £185 for that