London show selling terribly?

Comments

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,424
    Selling terribly? Or just not filling up the place?
    Both- did you not see this?

https://www.reddit.com/r/pearljam/comments/1defeng/2_weeks_out_has_a_pj_london_show_ever_sold_this/
    Yes but how many seats sold... Looks like a lot 
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,424
    matt84 said:
    drfox said:
    beano.79 said:
    drfox said:
    It’s not the ticket prices it’s the late announcement when lots of people had already booked to see other concerts 
    All the noise on social media over the last few months points to it being the ticket prices 
    Exactly- of course it’s the price. Second they are touring a bombing album 
    Is it bombing? Reached #2 here with minimal promotion. Doing no different to other similar bands from the same era.
    Reached number 2 briefly then tumbled. It lasted about a week on the Billboard charts- there are a multitude of 50 year old albums that are selling better than it. See article below and bear in mind that it’s a month old. It’s definitely not selling as expected. 

Original post updated for charts for week ending June 15, 2024.

"Wreckage" climbs to No. 9 at alternative radio, No. 8 at mainstream rock and No. 6 at Triple-A. It also moves up from No. 36 to No. 28 on the Canada Rock chart.

Dark Matter hangs on in the top 50 of Top Current Album Sales for a seventh week, selling between 1,700 and 1,800 copies.
    That ‘Wreckage’ song title speaks for itself. They have a few of those songs on every album, please- do something a little/ lot more interesting than this standard ballad fluff! Nobody wants to hear this on an album!!!!
    Kind of disagree. Although ‘Wreckage’ isn’t a great song - ‘Sirens’ and ‘Just Breath’ are fantastic.
    My opinion is the opposite... Sirens is painful, jb is a good ev song, wreckage fits nicely on the album 
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • rangers72rangers72 Posts: 169
    Ticket prices are certainly the main issue but there are other issues.England playing the same night as the Manchester gig and possibly on the same night as the London show as well.Logistically the London show is far from ideal(a bit like the Milton Keynes show).Marketing hasnt been great and when they played Hyde Park BST done a really good job getting the shows out there.There is also a lot bands out there who are not selling out (at cheaper prices),bands like The Killers and Kings Of Leon who are popular in the UK are not selling out there shows either.There is also a lot of big hitters touring like AC/DC,Springsteen,Green day and Foo Fighters touring just now as well which doesnt help as there is a lot more hype when these bands tour as well.The band dont get a lot of airplay in the UK and when the new album came out i emailed Radio 2 asking why as it i thought it would fit there demographic and in fairness they emailed me back saying they would review it and now wreckage is getting some airplay so im taking some credit for that!
  • Paul SpencerPaul Spencer Posts: 16
    I think the issue is ENTIRELY about ticket prices. In 2022 they sold out two nights at BST, that's 130,000 tickets but just two years later, they are struggling to sell much more than 50-70%(?) of the tickets at Tottenham, which has a capacity of just 50,000. 

The difference being, that ticket prices to watch Pearl Jam in London have DOUBLED in just two years. There's not a shadow of a doubt in my mind, that had ticket prices remained at roughly the same price (or slightly higher) as they were for BST, then Tottenham would have sold out quickly. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the venue or it's location, Beyonce sold out 5 nights there last year.

The last time Pearl Jam played at the O2, the highest priced tickets were £85 and now they wanted people to (initially) pay £159 to sit on the back row of a football stadium! Just what on earth did anybody expect to happen? There is absolutely no justification whatsoever for prices to have increased to such an extent.

The issue, is about greed, pure and simple and Live Nation, Ticketmaster and Pearl Jam are all equally complicit. If the band reject the proposed ticket prices, then the shows don't happen, period. The management represent the band and the management negotiate with the promoters (Live Nation) and the eventual ticket price is arrived at after they reach an agreement that is acceptable to both parties.

And it's back fired on everybody involved spectacularly!  it's just extremely sad to find that Pearl Jam of all artists are the act at that centre of the failure.
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 11,036
    The single price regardless of seat location is absurd, does any other artist / act do this for arenas? 

My 10c # is good enough that I still expect at least lower bowl seats if I score, but if I had a chance of landing in the upper level, I probably wouldn't even bother with the lottery... it's too much $ for mediocre seats.
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 13,488
    I think the issue is ENTIRELY about ticket prices. In 2022 they sold out two nights at BST, that's 130,000 tickets but just two years later, they are struggling to sell much more than 50-70%(?) of the tickets at Tottenham, which has a capacity of just 50,000. 

The difference being, that ticket prices to watch Pearl Jam in London have DOUBLED in just two years. There's not a shadow of a doubt in my mind, that had ticket prices remained at roughly the same price (or slightly higher) as they were for BST, then Tottenham would have sold out quickly. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the venue or it's location, Beyonce sold out 5 nights there last year.

The last time Pearl Jam played at the O2, the highest priced tickets were £85 and now they wanted people to (initially) pay £159 to sit on the back row of a football stadium! Just what on earth did anybody expect to happen? There is absolutely no justification whatsoever for prices to have increased to such an extent.

The issue, is about greed, pure and simple and Live Nation, Ticketmaster and Pearl Jam are all equally complicit. If the band reject the proposed ticket prices, then the shows don't happen, period. The management represent the band and the management negotiate with the promoters (Live Nation) and the eventual ticket price is arrived at after they reach an agreement that is acceptable to both parties.

And it's back fired on everybody involved spectacularly!  it's just extremely sad to find that Pearl Jam of all artists are the act at that centre of the failure.
    👍
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,822
    edited June 15

Props to the Euro fans for not putting up with that bullshit.  Doubling the price in just 2 years is insane.  I wonder what they would have to charge in the US for people to stop buying tickets no matter what.
    Post edited by Indifference71 on
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 8,959
    US here...Honestly I'm out. Partly prices, partly crowds,  losing seniority seating plus being to a bunch of shows already. Been spoiled and will just let it go and chase a hot poster maybe. 
    Know a couple first timers going to see them in Ireland. Never complained about prices to me. Live there and hope they love it.
    Not an easy habit to break. Nothing really beats a live pj show. Y'aaaaknow!!

• evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,891
    edited June 15
    From what I have read, large ticketing companies offer up the largest stadium they think the band could sell out and then sell them for the highest price. This gives them an idea of where "the line in the sand" is as far as how far they can push the demand and the consumer. 

If it sells out, they underestimated cost and demand. If it doesn't sell out they overestimated the cost and demand and next tour it may be a bigger venue with higher prices or two nights at a big venue at higher prices. 

Essentially it is economic chicken between ticketing companies and the fan. Some fans have balked at this in Europe 2024, which means the next tour will probably be in smaller venues with similar prices. This will create less seats which will drive demand which will be justification for future price hikes. 

Just how I see it. Full disclosure, I am American and am only going to the two Wrigley shows. That's all I could afford. 
    Post edited by evenflow82 on
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • HaijayHaijay Posts: 374
    PJNB said:
    vedpunk said:
    Maybe they should stop playing shows in Europe so often to less enthusiastic fans not willing to pay up and instead play more cities in their home country and other parts of the world to more die hard fans that are more appreciative and willing to spend money on the best live band on the planet.
    If they played a show in Texas at a venue the same size as the one in London do you think the sales would be any different? 
    They would sell out Globe Life, Minute Maid, or the Alamodome, absolutely. 
  • vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 888
    edited June 15
    Haijay said:
    PJNB said:
    vedpunk said:
    Maybe they should stop playing shows in Europe so often to less enthusiastic fans not willing to pay up and instead play more cities in their home country and other parts of the world to more die hard fans that are more appreciative and willing to spend money on the best live band on the planet.
    If they played a show in Texas at a venue the same size as the one in London do you think the sales would be any different? 
    Exactly.  In the future, the band may be forced to go where their fans and their willingness to pay are located instead of on summer European vacations.  This isn’t a slight on Europe, I’ve been many times and love the different people and cultures.  It’s just a matter of supply and demand for an aging rock band that doesn’t tour much but wants to maximize the return on their remaining tours.    
    Post edited by vedpunk on
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,391

Props to the Euro fans for not putting up with that bullshit.  Doubling the price in just 2 years is insane.  I wonder what they would have to charge in the US for people to stop buying tickets no matter what.
    $250 a ticket is my line in the sand.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 13,488
    Or they can make smarter decisions as it's not always all about USA. Where a band comes from is not that important. If they read the room and do just a little homework. Don't be too greedy I'm sure it would work out just fine
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,425
    Haijay said:
    PJNB said:
    vedpunk said:
    That would surprise me if they could. 

I think there are only a handful of markets in the USA that they could do that. Seattle, Boston, New York, Chicago and Philly.

PJNB said:
    Haijay said:
    PJNB said:
    vedpunk said:

I think there are only a handful of markets in the USA that they could do that. Seattle, Boston, New York, Chicago and Philly.

I think you’d be surprised. Texas and Florida major cities aren’t usually included in peoples’ list of PJ’s most popular cities but they probably should.   I’m not saying they sell out multiple stadiums in these states on the same tour but adding a weekend Dallas and Miami/or Ft Lauderdale stadium show wouldn’t be out of the question.  
    vedpunk said:
    PJNB said:
    Haijay said:
    PJNB said:
    vedpunk said:

I think you’d be surprised. Texas and Florida major cities aren’t usually included in peoples’ list of PJ’s most popular cities but they probably should.   I’m not saying they sell out multiple stadiums in these states on the same tour but adding a weekend Dallas and Miami/or Ft Lauderdale stadium show wouldn’t be out of the question.  
    Ya maybe. I didn't think Fenway and Wrigley would be instant sellouts either especially after UC struggled to sell the back and top of the nosebleeds. 
  • drfoxdrfox Posts: 1,278
    Tottenham stadium is just too big to sell out given the location in Outer London and late announcement. It’s got a 63,000 capacity for concerts so almost 50% bigger than places in the US like Wrigley (42,000)
    So wouldn’t selling 50% of Tottenham  (31.5k) still be considered a success?
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,391
    vedpunk said:
    I would think so.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Hey I’m American and was already used to the new concert prices as I’d seen them twice in St. Paul in ‘23. 

What really has me sitting out this tour is the February announcement. If it would’ve been announced around when the rumors starting leaking in November, I would’ve been there. 

I think there are several layers to why this fiasco is happening. Double the price of ‘22, a larger and less desired venue without the festival feel and cool opening acts, and finally the last minute announcement. 
  • Philip_IrelandPhilip_Ireland Posts: 663
    vedpunk said:
    Haijay said:
    PJNB said:
    vedpunk said:
    Exactly.  In the future, the band may be forced to go where their fans and their willingness to pay are located instead of on summer European vacations.  This isn’t a slight on Europe, I’ve been many times and love the different people and cultures.  It’s just a matter of supply and demand for an aging rock band that doesn’t tour much but wants to maximize the return on their remaining tours.    
    Don’t try charge US prices in Europe should be the one takeaway they get from this rather bad experience!
  • Philip_IrelandPhilip_Ireland Posts: 663
    vedpunk said:
    I’m not sure. They definitely won’t be recording a concert film from a half empty/full venue! That’s for sure 
  • IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,679
    vedpunk said:
    I’m not sure. They definitely won’t be recording a concert film from a half empty/full venue! That’s for sure 

well thats less then 2x O2 which was the plan but of course only need to play once xD

SHOW COUNT: (157) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=97, US=116, CAN=15, Europe=20 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:   Ohana x2  Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• BloodMeridian80BloodMeridian80 Seattle Posts: 647
    Weren’t the ‘22 show prices actually 2020 prices? 
    Again, the RHCP played to a little over 43,000, and that was called a sellout. 
    PJNB said:
    vedpunk said:
    PJNB said:
    Haijay said:
    PJNB said:
    vedpunk said:

Ya maybe. I didn't think Fenway and Wrigley would be instant sellouts either especially after UC struggled to sell the back and top of the nosebleeds. 
    Well, those seats are always the last to go, for any artist. It didn’t help that the seats were what, over $100 each, when everybody else charges significantly less for those seats. 
    This one price for the whole venue just is not sustainable when prices hit $100 plus, people won’t pay $140 bucks for behind the stage🤷‍♂️
    PJNB said:
    Haijay said:
    PJNB said:
    vedpunk said:

They could play Petco, Coors, Camden Yards, Comerica and Busch possibly. Texas and Miami too, no problem. I think a lot of people would be surprised around here. 
    You know, look at 2018, those 7 stadium shows all sold out instantly. A friend of mine was debating about Missoula, and he said he’ll think about it, no way it’s selling out, it’s in the middle of nowhere. The day after the sale i asked how it worked it for him, lol. So think, they could have easily added more like two at Citizens Bank, two at Citi Field, BMO in LA, im sure, the list goes on. 

• on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,924
    Weren’t the ‘22 show prices actually 2020 prices? 
    Please don’t muddle the thread with information that doesn’t support the narrative that Pearl Jam is greedy.  
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

Haijay said:
    PJNB said:
    Haijay said:
    PJNB said:
    vedpunk said:

They could play Petco, Coors, Camden Yards, Comerica and Busch possibly. Texas and Miami too, no problem. I think a lot of people would be surprised around here. 
    You know, look at 2018, those 7 stadium shows all sold out instantly. A friend of mine was debating about Missoula, and he said he’ll think about it, no way it’s selling out, it’s in the middle of nowhere. The day after the sale i asked how it worked it for him, lol. So think, they could have easily added more like two at Citizens Bank, two at Citi Field, BMO in LA, im sure, the list goes on. 

Missoula is only 24k and we have yet to see what they are holding back. 
  • Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,807
    edited June 16
    I do find it disappointing that TSURT deleted the IG comments about tickets being half sold out and too expensive… Have the balls to reap what you sow.  Kinda sad if PJ will criticize Butker but remove content regarding the fact that they way overshot the Europe shows….. gives really weak vibes lol

Come back to Cleveland or literally anywhere in the Midwest.. I dare you…
    Post edited by Weston1283 on
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
    2024: Las Vegas I / Las Vegas II / New York City I / New York City II / Philly I / Philly II / Baltimore