European Tour Sales = Desaster

Comments

• Options
    Zen23Zen23 Posts: 362
    No comment. 
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,305
    edited March 24
    When your asshole is in such a perpetual pucker over ticket prices that you can't process a joke about the Hoff
    Post edited by pjl44 on
  • Options
    I have the feeling that something is going wrong because of the translation. That's why I'm off the subject now.
  • Options
    Hey, I realize that our collective sample size of German friends probably only numbered fewer than 100 people, but that Hasselhoff thing was a phenomenon that seemingly existed as far as we could tell. There are definitely plenty of differences between various countries, which makes traveling even more interesting than it might be otherwise. Long live Pearl Jam! 
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,331
    edited March 25
    Long live travel
     Broadens the mind 
    Post edited by lastexitlondon on
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    When your asshole is in such a perpetual pucker over ticket prices that you can't process a joke about the Hoff
    Thanks for that take buddy! This thread has made me laugh a few times this weekend.  =)
  • Options
    Who knows, perhaps I'm selling David Hasselhoff short. I mean, it's not as if I've heard very many of his songs. He's apparently still making albums too. 
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,735
    Based on what I can tell, it seems like the countries where Pearl Jam is currently most popular (on a per capita basis) are Australia and Portugal. Of course, they're still quite popular and influential in the United States and Canada too. 
    "I'd rather be...
    I'd rather be...
    I'd rather be in Portugal!"

-- Eddie Vedder, Lisbon, May 2000
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    Yeah man, I have to visit Portugal at some point. It seems too great to ignore. 
  • Options
    axeljohanaxeljohan Posts: 413
    edited March 25
    Hey, I realize that our collective sample size of German friends probably only numbered fewer than 100 people, but that Hasselhoff thing was a phenomenon that seemingly existed as far as we could tell. There are definitely plenty of differences between various countries, which makes traveling even more interesting than it might be otherwise. Long live Pearl Jam! 
    Well, if your German frieds still listened to the Hoff while you were buying Vitalogy, you definitely knew the "wrong" Germans. Hasselhoff had his biggest hit in 1989, when his singing single-handedly brought down the Berlin wall. But by 1994 he wasn't a star anymore, not even in Germany.

Nevertheless, selling out Waldbühne (22k) twice was always a strech for Pearl Jam. They sold out single night at Waldbühne / Wuhlheide everytime in the past. But failed to sell out two night at the O2-arena (17k) back in 2012.

Their new approach of less travelling for the band and let the fans come to us combined with the ticket prices didn't help selling out this time.
    Post edited by axeljohan on
  • Options
    just_onejust_one Lisbon Posts: 1,991
    edited March 25
    axeljohan said:
    Well, if your German frieds still listened to the Hoff while you were buying Vitalogy, you definitely knew the "wrong" Germans. Hasselhoff had his biggest hit in 1989, when his singing single-handedly brought down the Berlin wall. But by 1994 he wasn't a star anymore, not even in Germany.

Nevertheless, selling out Waldbühne (22k) twice was always a strech for Pearl Jam. They sold out single night at Waldbühne / Wuhlheide everytime in the past. But failed to sell out two night at the O2-arena (17k) back in 2012.

Their new approach of less travelling for the band and let the fans come to us combined with the ticket prices didn't help selling out this time.
    i think their approach is the right one (multiple shows on the same city), most big bands nowadays are starting to following that pattern with great sucess  (coldplay , metallica , etc), that being said i think what they got wrong at least in Europe was the ticket prices.

to start have the same price for all places in a venue is just bad and careless planning. Also the price of the tickets were very high. 175€ for Berlin , 164£ for London and 165€ for Barcelona in ALL the places of the arena/stadium in london´s case is just wrong in every single way and as i said above bad planning.

If the prices were more cheaper and in line with where you sit in the arena/stadium the tickets would sell for sure.

they would sell out Waldbühne if the prices were lets say : GA - 130€/150€ , 1st ring seated -  90€/100€ , 2nd ring - 70€/80€ , 3rd ring - 60€/70€
  • Options
    axeljohanaxeljohan Posts: 413
    to be fair: they sold out GA, 1st tier (except for Premium-tickets) and most of 2nd tier for both nights at 175 EUR/ticket. So, they are not that far off for Berlin expect for 3rd tier. 
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,748
    just_one said:
    axeljohan said:

i think their approach is the right one (multiple shows on the same city), most big bands nowadays are starting to following that pattern with great sucess  (coldplay , metallica , etc), that being said i think what they got wrong at least in Europe was the ticket prices.

to start have the same price for all places in a venue is just bad and careless planning. Also the price of the tickets were very high. 175€ for Berlin , 164£ for London and 165€ for Barcelona in ALL the places of the arena/stadium in london´s case is just wrong in every single way and as i said above bad planning.

If the prices were more cheaper and in line with where you sit in the arena/stadium the tickets would sell for sure.

they would sell out Waldbühne if the prices were lets say : GA - 130€/150€ , 1st ring seated -  90€/100€ , 2nd ring - 70€/80€ , 3rd ring - 60€/70€
    I still believe timing was a bigger issue than the prices........if it was announced last December/November these shows would have sold much faster. So many bands are touring this summer, I desperately wanted to see Placebo but they announced their halifax show even later and it is the same day as the manchester show......so thats one I have to miss
  • Options
    pdalowsky said:
    just_one said:
    axeljohan said:

I still believe timing was a bigger issue than the prices........if it was announced last December/November these shows would have sold much faster. So many bands are touring this summer, I desperately wanted to see Placebo but they announced their halifax show even later and it is the same day as the manchester show......so thats one I have to miss
    yes that also was a huge mistake. announcing so late also didnt help for sure. If they had announced in early december as they usually do the sales would be better aswell
  • Options
    drfoxdrfox Posts: 1,118
    pdalowsky said:
    just_one said:
    axeljohan said:

Exactly. I would say the timing is a much bigger factor than the cost. Kings of Leon announced their U.K. arena tour a week after PJ and are playing the same two weeks. They always sell out (and their prices are half of the PJ tickets) but they have standing and seated tickets available still for what looks like every show…..
  • Options
    drfox said:
    pdalowsky said:
    just_one said:
    axeljohan said:

Exactly. I would say the timing is a much bigger factor than the cost. Kings of Leon announced their U.K. arena tour a week after PJ and are playing the same two weeks. They always sell out (and their prices are half of the PJ tickets) but they have standing and seated tickets available still for what looks like every show…..
    I am absolutely certain of it too, I know people will point now at the cost as the obvious answer but its an odd one this summer with Green Day, KOL, PJ, Smashing Pumpkins, Weezer, AC/DC, Deep Purple, Foo Fighters, the eagles and many more all coming to play huge shows within a month or two. 

People cannot be in the same place at the same time. I saw Bruce is playing a huge show on the date of the Manchester gig too, Green Day when PJ are in London. People are fairly strapped for cash recently, so the earlier announcements of tours may well have taken a good deal of disposable income off the table. 

Cost likely hasnt helped but i really do not think it is the issue it is being suggested it is. 
  • Options
    HaijayHaijay Posts: 337
    drfox said:
    pdalowsky said:
    just_one said:
    axeljohan said:

Plus they’ve  sucked ass for 15 years, so there’s that too🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,606
    This is one of my favorite threads.  17 pages of outrage over $60.  
  • Options
    BloodMeridian80BloodMeridian80 Seattle Posts: 614
    This is one of my favorite threads.  17 pages of outrage over $60.  
    And a hilarious Hoff joke
  • Options
    We do everything we can to make sure you have a good time. 
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,041
    drfox said:
    Zen23 said:
    Just so there are no misunderstandings. I am not providing the following statistics to make fun of the European sales figures. I go to some of these concerts myself, or plan to. I would therefore be delighted if they were sold out. On the other hand, I think it's good that the fans have sent out a signal that a point has been reached that they can no longer tolerate. A price point at which such Pearl Jam concerts no longer sell out within hours or even minutes. Instead, after a month of presale, it looks like this:

Manchester
    Around 1,500 seats available plus an unknown number of standing tickets

London
    Around 10,000 seats available plus an unknown number of standing tickets and areas that appear to have been removed from sale 

Berlin 1
    Around 6,000 seats available

Berlin 2
    Around 7,000 seats available

Barcelona 1
    Around 3,500 seats available plus an unknown number of standing tickets and areas that appear to have been removed from sale 

Barcelona 2
    Around 7,000 seats available plus an unknown number of standing tickets and areas that appear to have been removed from sale 

All figures are estimates. Not accurate to the last blue pop Ticketmaster dot. But not imprecisely rough either. A healthy extrapolated average of accuracy.
    They should have done Manchester 2 or Dublin 2 instead of Berlin 2 or Barcelona 2 (plus Manchester and Dublin are larger venue). Bet they are kicking themselves 

I’ll be in Barcelona - going to be strange if that amount remain unsold 
    Or done the rest of the US that sells out.
  • Options
    RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,399
    Once again the band isn’t economically exposed to whether it sells out.  They get their fee regardless.  If a European promoter offers them more money than an American promoter, they make more money regardless of low ticket sales in Europe compared to higher ticket sales in America.  

What doesn’t make sense is why a European promoter would get themselves into a financial problem, but that isn’t per se the band’s problem.  And once again, again, the promoter might do just fine selling less than all the tickets for a high price compared to selling all the tickets for a low price.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • Options
    ilockyerilockyer Posts: 2,249
    edited March 25
    pdalowsky said:
    drfox said:
    pdalowsky said:
    just_one said:
    axeljohan said:

I am absolutely certain of it too, I know people will point now at the cost as the obvious answer but its an odd one this summer with Green Day, KOL, PJ, Smashing Pumpkins, Weezer, AC/DC, Deep Purple, Foo Fighters, the eagles and many more all coming to play huge shows within a month or two. 

People cannot be in the same place at the same time. I saw Bruce is playing a huge show on the date of the Manchester gig too, Green Day when PJ are in London. People are fairly strapped for cash recently, so the earlier announcements of tours may well have taken a good deal of disposable income off the table. 

Cost likely hasnt helped but i really do not think it is the issue it is being suggested it is. 
    It's probably an issue in so far as people are looking to get the most shows for the money that they possibly can, especially with 4 of those acts you've mentioned almost certainly retiring at the end of their tours (Eagles/Bruce (with E St anyway)/ACDC/Purple). Hopefully PJ won't join them, although that hat Ed's taken to wearing is more retired dude than rock'n'roller! 

Residencies, correctly priced, in the right cities are a far more attractive proposition for fans and the band I expect. However, they have to be priced relatively well and somewhere that there is sufficient affordable hotel capacity. With stuff like the Euros going on, and hotels being much more expensive generally post covid, it's not just the bands tickets that are a factor. 
    Post edited by ilockyer on
    The secret to a happy ending is knowing when to roll the credits
  • Options
    ilockyer said:
    pdalowsky said:
    drfox said:
    pdalowsky said:
    just_one said:
    axeljohan said:

It's probably an issue in so far as people are looking to get the most shows for the money that they possibly can, especially with 4 of those acts you've mentioned almost certainly retiring at the end of their tours (Eagles/Bruce (with E St anyway)/ACDC/Purple). Hopefully PJ won't join them, although that hat Ed's taken to wearing is more retired dude than rock'n'roller! 

Residencies, correctly priced, in the right cities are a far more attractive proposition for fans and the band I expect. However, they have to be priced relatively well and somewhere that there is sufficient affordable hotel capacity. With stuff like the Euros going on, and hotels being much more expensive generally post covid, it's not just the bands tickets that are a factor. 
    For sure, the massive increases in costs of hotels, and travel this time around have not helped. I was dead set on Dublin, two things ultimately killed the idea.....too many people telling me of the nightmare that is that venue, and the cost of accommodation for one night. It made no sense to make the trip. The ticket cost was a very small part in the bigger picture overall.

If it was at the arena, I would have been 100% in regardless. But the fact the park has sold out means it was a smart move to play there. 
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,319
    pjl44 said:
    The Hof

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    pdalowsky said:
    ilockyer said:
    pdalowsky said:
    drfox said:
    pdalowsky said:
    just_one said:
    axeljohan said:

For sure, the massive increases in costs of hotels, and travel this time around have not helped. I was dead set on Dublin, two things ultimately killed the idea.....too many people telling me of the nightmare that is that venue, and the cost of accommodation for one night. It made no sense to make the trip. The ticket cost was a very small part in the bigger picture overall.

If it was at the arena, I would have been 100% in regardless. But the fact the park has sold out means it was a smart move to play there. 
    i was also thinking of doing dublin but after seeing the hotel prices i gave up , super expensive
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,305
    pjl44 said:
    The Hof

Carlsberg in a teku is high society
  • Options
    kaw753kaw753 Posts: 766
    pjl44 said:
    The Hof

Organic makes it healthy. 
  • Options
    edited March 28
    Now the Master of Tickets has completely withdrawn large parts of the Tottenham South Stand from sale. The thousands of blue dots probably just look too depressing. 
    Post edited by Zen23 on