Options

European Tour Sales = Desaster

Comments

• Options
    tino_11tino_11 Posts: 1,987
    Barca 1 and Manchester only had premium standing left when available so if assume not many left at either venue
    2010: London
    2012: Manchester I, Manchester II, Manchester (EV) 
    2014: Milan, Leeds, Milton Keynes 
    2017: London II (EV) 
    2018: Amsterdam I, London I, Prague, London II 
    2019: London (EV)
    2022: London I, London II, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam
  • Options
    DevonPearlDevonPearl Posts: 284
    Those prices are big BS! But hey, they call it a world tour.
  • Options
    drfoxdrfox Posts: 1,111
    edited March 22
    Zen23 said:
    Just so there are no misunderstandings. I am not providing the following statistics to make fun of the European sales figures. I go to some of these concerts myself, or plan to. I would therefore be delighted if they were sold out. On the other hand, I think it's good that the fans have sent out a signal that a point has been reached that they can no longer tolerate. A price point at which such Pearl Jam concerts no longer sell out within hours or even minutes. Instead, after a month of presale, it looks like this:

Manchester
    Around 1,500 seats available plus an unknown number of standing tickets

London
    Around 10,000 seats available plus an unknown number of standing tickets and areas that appear to have been removed from sale 

Berlin 1
    Around 6,000 seats available

Berlin 2
    Around 7,000 seats available

Barcelona 1
    Around 3,500 seats available plus an unknown number of standing tickets and areas that appear to have been removed from sale 

Barcelona 2
    Around 7,000 seats available plus an unknown number of standing tickets and areas that appear to have been removed from sale 

All figures are estimates. Not accurate to the last blue pop Ticketmaster dot. But not imprecisely rough either. A healthy extrapolated average of accuracy.
    They should have done Manchester 2 or Dublin 2 instead of Berlin 2 or Barcelona 2 (plus Manchester and Dublin are larger venue). Bet they are kicking themselves 

I’ll be in Barcelona - going to be strange if that amount remain unsold 
    Post edited by drfox on
  • Options
    RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,371
    drfox said:
    Zen23 said:
    Just so there are no misunderstandings. I am not providing the following statistics to make fun of the European sales figures. I go to some of these concerts myself, or plan to. I would therefore be delighted if they were sold out. On the other hand, I think it's good that the fans have sent out a signal that a point has been reached that they can no longer tolerate. A price point at which such Pearl Jam concerts no longer sell out within hours or even minutes. Instead, after a month of presale, it looks like this:

Manchester

London
    Around 10,000 seats available plus an unknown number of standing tickets and areas that appear to have been removed from sale 

Berlin 1

Berlin 2

Barcelona 1
    Around 3,500 seats available plus an unknown number of standing tickets and areas that appear to have been removed from sale 

Barcelona 2
    Around 7,000 seats available plus an unknown number of standing tickets and areas that appear to have been removed from sale 

All figures are estimates. Not accurate to the last blue pop Ticketmaster dot. But not imprecisely rough either. A healthy extrapolated average of accuracy.
    They should have done Manchester 2 or Dublin 2 instead of Berlin 2 or Barcelona 2 (plus Manchester and Dublin are larger venue). Bet they are kicking themselves 

They are not kicking themselves.  Almost definitely they have a guaranteed fee for each show.  The promoter is the one who needs to sell tickets to afford the fee and hopefully make a profit.  And I would just say that selling 51% of a venue at 160 Pounds is more ticket revenue than selling 100% of the venue at 80 Pounds.  Promoters want to maximize revenue.  Not necessarily volume of sales.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • Options
    LiveAtLeedsLiveAtLeeds Posts: 143
    And selling 100% of a venue at £100 is more than both.it didn't have to be either extreme. It's not that they're a little more than what other artists of greater popularity are charging. It's that they're charging almost double. Also for London specifically nobody wants those awful south stand seats for any more than £50. I think even if they lowered them to that price now, or did 2 for 1 they'd still struggle as general public have decided they're not going already and moved on. 
    Still, after all that I'll be going and I'm front standing so don't mind £160. But I wouldn't pay even half of that for a seat in the south stand with awful sound and a bad view. 
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,259
    Truth ^^
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    Force Of NatureForce Of Nature Hertfordshire, England Posts: 953
    Thats the thing, us hardcore fans may pay the asking price but thats because we'll be down the front.
    Those that end up sitting at the back are not exactly going to be hardcore fans, and if you arent a hardcore fan why pay £160 for a show.
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,181
    drfox said:
    Zen23 said:

Manchester

London

Berlin 1

Berlin 2

Barcelona 1

Barcelona 2

They are not kicking themselves.  Almost definitely they have a guaranteed fee for each show.  The promoter is the one who needs to sell tickets to afford the fee and hopefully make a profit.  And I would just say that selling 51% of a venue at 160 Pounds is more ticket revenue than selling 100% of the venue at 80 Pounds.  Promoters want to maximize revenue.  Not necessarily volume of sales.  

No worries , they’ll just add some more $2000 MSG seats to help subsidize the euro tour.  if it’s a different promoter in Euro, they’ve been screwed royally by the deciders of how to allocate and price shows. Will they cut back on future euro tours and address the everehelming east coast US demand, no way, they’ll just get more festivals to subsidize future euro tours.

looking at the following prices, it’s definitely expensive overseas, but it’s torture on the East coast, which never gets the number of shows they’ve played in Euro since 2013. Guess they’re indifferent about $$.

MSG, $2000

Baltimore, $700

Philly $600

Boston, $500

Full face value tickets available , -0-
  • Options
    Zen23Zen23 Posts: 356
    Completely unimaginable here in Europe. At these prices, they can forget about the Waldbühne Berlin or the Co op Live Arena in Manchester. A small pub would have enough capacity for the demand.
  • Options
    SHZASHZA St. Louis, MO USA Posts: 3,425
    edited March 22
    Zen23 said:

Manchester

London

Berlin 1

Berlin 2

Barcelona 1

Barcelona 2

All figures are estimates. Not accurate to the last blue Ticketmaster dot. But not imprecisely rough either. A healthy extrapolated average of accuracy.
    I take it the omission means Dublin sold out 
  • Options
    BloodMeridian80BloodMeridian80 Seattle Posts: 608
    drfox said:
    Zen23 said:

Manchester

London

Berlin 1

Berlin 2

Barcelona 1

Barcelona 2

Yep, this is what promoters and TM prefer these days. If I show sells out right away, they made a mistake. Not saying I like it, but this is their approach now. Not sure constant grousing will do anything but upset yourself. Give an update on unsold tickets day off and/or after the show.
  • Options
    SHZA said:
    Zen23 said:

Manchester

London

Berlin 1

Berlin 2

Barcelona 1

Barcelona 2

All figures are estimates. Not accurate to the last blue Ticketmaster dot. But not imprecisely rough either. A healthy extrapolated average of accuracy.
    No. There are PJ Premium Tickets left. For 225 euros. But since there are no seats, what are you supposed to count?
  • Options
    Zen23 said:
    SHZA said:
    Zen23 said:

Manchester

London

Berlin 1

Berlin 2

Barcelona 1

Barcelona 2

No. There are PJ Premium Tickets left. For 225 euros. But since there are no seats, what are you supposed to count?
    Blades of grass 
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

• Options
    Kearn5yKearn5y Ireland Posts: 2,711
    Zen23 said:
    SHZA said:
    Zen23 said:

Manchester

London

Berlin 1

Berlin 2

Barcelona 1

Barcelona 2

Premium are only available for gold circle which means they sold over 36000 tickets minimum which is way more than the rest. Should be noted that Dublin was the only venue which had 2 ticket prices which sort of proves that this was the issue. 
    Kearnsy
  • Options
    ilockyerilockyer Posts: 2,249
    drfox said:
    Zen23 said:

Manchester

London

Berlin 1

Berlin 2

Barcelona 1

Barcelona 2

No worries , they’ll just add some more $2000 MSG seats to help subsidize the euro tour.  if it’s a different promoter in Euro, they’ve been screwed royally by the deciders of how to allocate and price shows. Will they cut back on future euro tours and address the everehelming east coast US demand, no way, they’ll just get more festivals to subsidize future euro tours.

There's a lot less festivals than normal on this tour. It's not uncommon for there to be 4-6 of those. Pinkpop/Werchter/Mad Cool/NOS Alive have been pretty much standard, with others added in such as Open'er/Main Square/Lollapalooza (Paris & Stockholm last time?). 

Going to be interesting to see what happens over the next couple of months 'til the shows. 
    The secret to a happy ending is knowing when to roll the credits
  • Options
    JimFletcherPearlJamJimFletcherPearlJam Posts: 328
    edited March 23
    Well, the Germany thing isn't a big surprise. I mean, they were really heavily into David Hasselhoff (as a singer) while I was living there (Germany) for four years during the first half of the 1990s. 
    Post edited by JimFletcherPearlJam on
  • Options
    Based on what I can tell, it seems like the countries where Pearl Jam is currently most popular (on a per capita basis) are Australia and Portugal. Of course, they're still quite popular and influential in the United States and Canada too. 
  • Options
    edited March 23
    Well, the Germany thing isn't a big surprise. I mean, they were really heavily into David Hasselhoff (as a singer) while I was living there (Germany) for four years during the first half of the 1990s. 
    Who is "they"?! 😄

Let's put it this way. It was a very lucky coincidence that his song "Looking for Freedom" coincided with the fall of the Berlin Wall.

But what does David Hasselhoff have to do with Pearl Jam?
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,181
    Zen23 said:
    Completely unimaginable here in Europe. At these prices, they can forget about the Waldbühne Berlin or the Co op Live Arena in Manchester. A small pub would have enough capacity for the demand.

If you can sell a product for $5 or $10, which would most enterprises choose? And it costs more to sell in the $5 region? Only in the bizarro world of PJ economics does a desaster like this occur.

They could clearly sell out a NE US 20 show tour for $150 per ticket above what they can currently get in Europe. As much as this forum likes to hate on TM and promoters, someone’s wanderlust for euro travel is costing promoters and the PJ touring machine tens of millions of dollars, plural. And hurting fans who have waited ten years  to see them near their hometowns.
  • Options
    vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 841
    I mean they could sell way more tickets to a Southeast US Tour of Atlanta, Nashville,  Carolina, Miami, Tampa, etc but they choose not to for some reason. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,970
    drfox said:
    Zen23 said:

Manchester

London

Berlin 1

Berlin 2

Barcelona 1

Barcelona 2

Selling 51% of the venue at 160 pounds as compared to 100% of the venue at 80 pounds is practically the same.  20,000 venue selling out times 80 a ticket equals 1.6 million.  Selling 51% of the venue would be 10,200 tickets and that would equal $1,632,000.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    kramerica4kramerica4 Posts: 275
    edited March 23
    mcgruff10 said:
    drfox said:
    Zen23 said:

Manchester

London

Berlin 1

Berlin 2

Barcelona 1

Barcelona 2

Selling 51% of the venue at 160 pounds as compared to 100% of the venue at 80 pounds is practically the same.  20,000 venue selling out times 80 a ticket equals 1.6 million.  Selling 51% of the venue would be 10,200 tickets and that would equal $1,632,000.
    Even if the total ticket gross is the same, a sold out venue is much more lucrative for the band than a 50% sold venue.
    In a sold out venue, there are double the people who can buy the merchandise which is a huge number each night for Pearl Jam.

• Options
    I know people spend on food and drink and merch.  I’m just illustrating that the promoter’s goal is to maximize revenue, not sales.  The sweet spot is probably in the middle of the two bookends - which doesn’t mean a sellout necessarily.  

• Options
    MarcvHMarcvH Amersfoort, Netherlands Posts: 25
    I remain very curious about the long-term effect of this sales system on both the image of the band and the willingness of the fans to buy (multiple) tickets in the future. 

Personally, I already have a completely different anticipation for the concert than usual, now that I'm going alone because of the ticket price. Sharing the fun with friends was half the experience! What does that do to my enthusiasm for the next tour? 

What I'm trying to say is that the system may be financially attractive for this tour itself, but if there is discomfort for a large part of the target group, does that make it an economically sensible choice for the long term?
    Arnhem 2006, Nijmegen 2007, Rotterdam 2009, Nijmegen 2010, Werchter 2010, Amsterdam II 2012, Amsterdam I 2014, Amsterdam II 2017 (Ed Solo), Amsterdam I 2018, Amsterdam II 2018, Amsterdam I 2022, Amsterdam II 2022, Berlin I 2024, Berlin II 2024 and... was on the quest list of Vera Groningen 1996.. but went to my girlfriends father's birthday instead, damned!
  • Options
    vedpunk said:
    I mean they could sell way more tickets to a Southeast US Tour of Atlanta, Nashville,  Carolina, Miami, Tampa, etc but they choose not to for some reason. 
    Yeah, as someone who lives in deep south Texas, I'm waiting for Pearl Jam to return to Jazzfest in New Orleans. After seeing them this summer in Dublin, followed by Jazzfest at some point in the not-too-distant future, I'll be perfectly satisfied. 🥑 
  • Options
    JimFletcherPearlJamJimFletcherPearlJam Posts: 328
    edited March 24
    Zen23 said:
    Who is "they"?! 😄

Let's put it this way. It was a very lucky coincidence that his song "Looking for Freedom" coincided with the fall of the Berlin Wall.

But what does David Hasselhoff have to do with Pearl Jam?

Reply:
    Okay buddy, if you really want to know, then here it is. When my Army buddies and I were buying Ten, Versus, and Vitalogy, and listening to them non-stop for years, most of the Germans we knew were largely enamored with David Hasselhoff (as a singer). They simply didn't seem to care about Pearl Jam too much. However, you don't have to take my word for it -- just check out the link below (or numerous other similar articles) for verification and elaboration purposes. It's hilarious to think about this phenomenon once again, and it's difficult to take such people very seriously! 

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/general-news/why-baywatch-star-david-hasselhoff-is-big-germany-1006554/

Post edited by JimFletcherPearlJam on
  • Options
    BloodMeridian80BloodMeridian80 Seattle Posts: 608
    Kind of a rude take. Maybe something’s being lost in translation but the Hoff take seems completely irrelevant.
  • Options
    FBechFBech Sevilla Posts: 23
    Evebtually the shows will be sold out in Europe, I hope they do different with the prices next time
  • Options
    edited March 24
    Kind of a rude take. Maybe something’s being lost in translation but the Hoff take seems completely irrelevant.
    Exactly. Then there's the "Okay Buddy" speech followed by a lecture. You switch off after the second word. Well. Greetings from Germany from someone who went along with the Hoff hype. I still don't understand the connection between Pearl Jam and David Hasselhoff. And what that has to do with the current tour. 
    Post edited by Zen23 on
  • Options
    SHZASHZA St. Louis, MO USA Posts: 3,425
    Zen23 said:
    Exactly. Then there's the "Okay Buddy" speech followed by a lecture. You switch off after the second word. Well. Greetings from Germany from someone who went along with the Hoff hype. I still don't understand the connection between Pearl Jam and David Hasselhoff. And what that has to do with the current tour. 
    He's saying the Hoff craze is proof that the entire country has bad musical taste, which explains the poor sales for Pearl Jam. Doesn't make much sense, but that's his apparent theory.