Options

European Tour Sales = Desaster

Comments

• Options
    Zen23Zen23 Posts: 356
    Seriously. I wish all ticket holders in Barcelona nothing but the best. But honestly, what scenarios await us in the coming weeks and months? There is virtually no movement in ticket sales. What do you think are the most likely scenarios? Another drastic reduction in the ticket price? Possible cancellation of one of the two concerts? Something completely different?
  • Options
    RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,371
    Maybe things aren't totally fine in NA either, but definitely not as bad. See there have been more tickets released for some of the venues, meaning they weren't actually sold out. Looking at Vancouver right now esp night 2 there are a ton of tickets released, all still marked premium but prices are falling. F2F can't be too far off with this activity. 
    NA is following the usual trend of tickets being relatively easy to get in the west and very difficult in the east.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • Options
    just_onejust_one Lisbon Posts: 1,988
    Zen23 said:
    Seriously. I wish all ticket holders in Barcelona nothing but the best. But honestly, what scenarios await us in the coming weeks and months? There is virtually no movement in ticket sales. What do you think are the most likely scenarios? Another drastic reduction in the ticket price? Possible cancellation of one of the two concerts? Something completely different?
    they better play the shows dammit. just give us a b-side setlist since only hardcore fans will be there like katowice 2000.

• Options
    BloodMeridian80BloodMeridian80 Seattle Posts: 608
    This thread gives me an ‘in line at the airport’ vibe
  • Options
    This thread gives me an ‘in line at the airport’ vibe
    what do u mean?

• Options
    stonesstones Posts: 187
    I'm guessing the new album will give them additional media exposure and sell a few tickets.
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,041
    This thread got me thinking. If Europeans are not used to higher prices and tickets are not selling, why doesn't PJ just tour the states more? It's got to cost a lot more to tour over seas, and for less money. It seems like with every tour, South America or Europe gets more shows than NA. I always just assumed they made more doing it, but apparently not. 
  • Options
    RyanRyan Posts: 1,027
    mace1229 said:
    This thread got me thinking. If Europeans are not used to higher prices and tickets are not selling, why doesn't PJ just tour the states more? It's got to cost a lot more to tour over seas, and for less money. It seems like with every tour, South America or Europe gets more shows than NA. I always just assumed they made more doing it, but apparently not. 
    It seems like PJ is trying a different touring model this year (and 2023) than they had in the past - more days off, more two-night stands in a city, and fewer festivals.  
    They may very well find out that this isn’t working, and for future tours go back to more festivals in EU, like in the past.  If I recall most EU tours since 2007 and onwards have been anchored by at least four festival dates, 2024 only has two festivals.  
    2003 - June 15 Fargo
    2005 - Sept 1 George, Sept 8 Winnipeg
    2006 - May 9/10 Toronto, June 26/27 St. Paul, July 22/23 George, Oct 21/22 Mountain View
    2007 - Aug 2/5 Chicago
    2008 - June 22 Washington, June 24/25 New York
    2009 - Aug 21 Toronto, Aug 23/24 Chicago, Sept 21/22 Seattle, Oct 27/28/30/31 Philadelphia
    2010 - May 15 Hartford, May 17 Boston, Oct 23/24 Mountain View
    2011 - Sept 3/4 Alpine Valley, Sept 11/12 Toronto, Sept 17 Winnipeg, Sept 19 Saskatoon
    2012 - Sept 30 Missoula
    2013 - July 16 London, July 19 Chicago, Oct 12 Buffalo, Dec 2 Calgary, Dec 4 Vancouver, Dec 6 Seattle
    2014 - Oct 16 Detroit, Oct 19 St. Paul, Oct 20 Milwaukee
    2015 - Sept 23 (Colbert)/Sept 26, New York
    2016 - Apr 28/29 Philadelphia, May 10/12 Toronto, Aug 20/22 Chicago
  • Options
    drfoxdrfox Posts: 1,111
    edited March 6
    mace1229 said:
    This makes no sense. North America always gets significantly more shows than Europe and South America. We get so few shows in Europe in comparison. Eg 2 per tour in U.K. for a country of 70 million and 2 per tour in Germany for a county of 85 million is not that many. By extrapolation to 330 million US population that’s basically 9 US shows per tour. US get significantly more than that. 

I agree though there’s a risk they will tour here less if they think they can sell more tickets in the US at the prices they are after 
    Post edited by drfox on
  • Options
    vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 841
    Better buy up those tickets or Europe will be a thing of the past 🥲
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,970
    drfox said:
    mace1229 said:
    This makes no sense. North America always gets significantly more shows than Europe and South America. We get so few shows in Europe in comparison. Eg 2 per tour in U.K. for a country of 70 million and 2 per tour in Germany for a county of 85 million is not that many. By extrapolation to 330 million US population that’s basically 9 US shows per tour. US get significantly more than that. 

I agree though there’s a risk they will tour here less if they think they can sell more tickets in the US at the prices they are after 
    It might not seem like a lot but none of those shows in Germany or England are sold out.   I guess demand has been met?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,593
    drfox said:
    mace1229 said:

From 2014 to 2023 (rough numbers excluding appearances):
    Shows in NA - 75
    Shows in Euro - 41
    Shows in Aus/SA - 19

I think Europe is just fine.  They toured in 2022, 2018, 2014, 2012.   US toured in those years plus 9 in 2023, 4 in 2021, and 25 in 2016.  

Pearl Jam treats Europe pretty well.  And you need to remember when the band plays the US, most of the fans have to travel to see them because they play the same cities over and over.

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,041
    edited March 6
    drfox said:
    mace1229 said:

Just looked at the tour history, not true as often as I thought, but was true in 2015 (SA got more) and 2018 (Europe got more), and 2014. Didn't look back farther than that. 

2022, Europe had more shows than either leg of the US tour, but US did get more shows total, but not by much.

With minimal touring the other years in between, it sure feel like over seas or down south gets more touring love. Only 1 or 2 years in the last 10 years had substantial amount of US shows where they didn't go to either South America or Europe for as many.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    drfox said:
    mace1229 said:

Just looked at the tour history, not true as often as I thought, but was true in 2015 (SA got more) and 2018 (Europe got more), and 2014. Didn't look back farther than that. 

2022, Europe had more shows than either leg of the US tour, but US did get more shows total, but not by much.

With minimal touring the other years in between, it sure feel like over seas or down south gets more touring love. Only 1 or 2 years in the last 10 years had substantial amount of US shows where they didn't go to either South America or Europe for as many.
    Yeah I get where you are coming from. Overall though they just don’t tour much anywhere in general, Europe or North America. Eg in the period from 2014 to 2023 that’s just over 130 shows which is exactly the same as the current total number of shows by Queens of the Stone Age on their “In Times New Roman” tour over a 15 month period from June 2023 to August 2024.

Best for us to all see PJ as often as we can give their touring patterns! 
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,181
    tino_11 said:
    pdalowsky said:
    Zen23 said:
    I also fear that this is it for Europe for the time being. They're certainly not going to put up with this kind of presale and this kind of shitstorm again in two years' time. I can only see two scenarios for another European tour going well. Reasonable prices, at least in the upper tiers from the start. Or a farewell tour with even higher prices, which the fans don't care about because it will be the last time.
    or hitting the festival circuit
    I wouldn't worry too much. This is a shorter Euro leg than usual and they've certainly hit the resistance mark price wise. I can see them offsetting lower price tickets for regular shows with a few more festival appearances to make future tours work for them. 

PJ knows that there's a decent size fanbase here with relatively high income, clearly not US level but greater than most parts of the world. They won't want to oversaturate the market in the US, so it makes sense to do Europe, South America etc once in a while.  

Yes ticket prices stink but,
    Oversaturate the US market?? Most of us in New York have never seen a blue dot msg face value ticket ever, and prices are too high?

Not only are fans willing to pay the $200 for the ticket, they're paying $500 for airfare and $300 a night for hotel rooms to see them here

Yet they refuse to play an appropriate number of shows in New York commensurate with their popularity here
    What exactly is the "appropriate number of shows"? They don't owe anything to us. This is their job. It doesn't matter how popular they are in a given location, they tour how and where they want. If it's important to a fan, they can either accept to pay the cost of a ticket or not. So much entitlement around here.

Who said anything about being owed anything…smart business would be to Match supply to demand. And price shows according to demand the local economy of each show provides. Price Spain and MSG what each market can bear. Other artists do this. PJs failure to do that is probably costing them over ten million dollars gross revenue. 
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,181
    drfox said:
    mace1229 said:

They could sell out twenty shows at msg without breaking a sweat. They have never played more than two shows there. Philly and Boston have similar popularity, maybe not for twenty shows, but a lot. As does Seattle and Chicago. They have never come close to testing the demand for shows of these markets, but they head to Euro every recent tour.

I am no genius, but they seem to have a desire to play exotic locations. That’s their right but it’s making the decisions look curious. Three tours ina row with many European dates, and the current sales are showing the results of that. As are the $1000 MSG prices. 
  • Options
    SHZASHZA St. Louis, MO USA Posts: 3,422
    mcgruff10 said:
    drfox said:
    mace1229 said:

It might not seem like a lot but none of those shows in Germany or England are sold out.   I guess demand has been met?
    Yes apparently a lower rate of PJ fans per million than in the US 
  • Options
    Zen23 said:
    Since I'm really interested, I'll bring it up again. What do you think will happen in the coming weeks and months? Those responsible at Pearl Jam as well as those responsible at Ticketmaster won't just sit this out. And wait for another handful of tickets to sell in Barcelona. Some kind of decision has to be made.
  • Options
    BlueLedbetterBlueLedbetter Posts: 1,176
    Zen23 said:
    Zen23 said:
    Since I'm really interested, I'll bring it up again. What do you think will happen in the coming weeks and months? Those responsible at Pearl Jam as well as those responsible at Ticketmaster won't just sit this out. And wait for another handful of tickets to sell in Barcelona. Some kind of decision has to be made.
    I think they take the hit and reduce prices nearer the show, they won't want to cancel 
  • Options
    edited March 7
    Then those responsible had better get started quickly.

For the second night in Barcelona, there are still around 9,000 seats that have not been sold. And where nothing is happening at all. In addition, there is an unknown number of unsold standing tickets. At a price of €165, the sales figures for the standing tickets will be just as shameful as for the seats. So we can assume that they definitely didn't sell more than half of the tickets.

There must be some consequence to this.
    Post edited by Zen23 on
  • Options
    edited March 7
    Zen23 said:
    Zen23 said:
    My guess is for the Tottenham show they may end up giving some of the nosebleed seats away for free to the blue light sector (NHS, Police, Fire). They did this on the second Blur Wembley Stadium show last year. I paid full price for N1 but got free tickets with family for N2

Manchester will sell out.There are some tickets remaining but not masses
    Post edited by drfox on
  • Options
    St. jordi capacity is 17960 people , if there is around 9000 left on seats, they got around half a house sold. i just dont want them to cancel the 2nd night , it wouldnt be fair for fans that have tickets.

Manchester i have no doubts will end up sold out.

London will sell a few more but could it be possible for them to move back to O2 Arena ? i´ve seen bands here in portugal move locations after it been announced.

Berlin night 1 might end up sold out but night 2 might have the last tier with a lot of seats left
  • Options
    Tjm007Tjm007 Posts: 157
    just_one said:
    St. jordi capacity is 17960 people , if there is around 9000 left on seats, they got around half a house sold. i just dont want them to cancel the 2nd night , it wouldnt be fair for fans that have tickets.

Manchester i have no doubts will end up sold out.

London will sell a few more but could it be possible for them to move back to O2 Arena ? i´ve seen bands here in portugal move locations after it been announced.

Berlin night 1 might end up sold out but night 2 might have the last tier with a lot of seats left
    O2 is a great venue - going to see Tool there again in the summer - saw QotSA there before Xmas.

Wont be moved there as cancelling White Hart Lane would be ruinous.
  • Options
    Zen23 said:
    kaw753 said:
    I have a stupid question. The NZ/Aus tour had the second nights added "due to unprecedented demand." Why did they even announce the second nights in Berlin and Barcelona before the first nights sold out? Seems like they could have saved themselves some bad PR by just holding off on those. Clearly, they would not have announced the second night and maybe pivoted by adding a show or two later on to fill in the schedule gaps. It seems like adding a show in the South of France or Zurich is better than playing to a half empty arena on a Monday night in Barcelona. 
    Mate, agree re:Zurich,that sold out in under 5 mins for the '22 show... would've done the same for this year I think... ( AC/DC sold out in 20 mins for a Stadium of 55,000 in Zurich for this year ) It's a strange model for this Euro tour,and skipping Italy is baffling also.Hope they make some changes for the next Euro tour,it's kinda sad how this has panned out ( ticket sales I mean)
    And at this point I only see the second night in Barcelona at a real danger of being possibly cancelled, all the other shows are selling well enough with 4months left. 
    London looks like a disaster to me. 
    Is the O2 still available at this date? Should be moved elsewhere.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    crowds are so better in Europe.
    I'm sure they enjoy playing in Europe or SudAM. Much more than US.
    Not only dollars Dude.
  • Options
    Zen23 said:
    kaw753 said:
    I have a stupid question. The NZ/Aus tour had the second nights added "due to unprecedented demand." Why did they even announce the second nights in Berlin and Barcelona before the first nights sold out? Seems like they could have saved themselves some bad PR by just holding off on those. Clearly, they would not have announced the second night and maybe pivoted by adding a show or two later on to fill in the schedule gaps. It seems like adding a show in the South of France or Zurich is better than playing to a half empty arena on a Monday night in Barcelona. 
    Mate, agree re:Zurich,that sold out in under 5 mins for the '22 show... would've done the same for this year I think... ( AC/DC sold out in 20 mins for a Stadium of 55,000 in Zurich for this year ) It's a strange model for this Euro tour,and skipping Italy is baffling also.Hope they make some changes for the next Euro tour,it's kinda sad how this has panned out ( ticket sales I mean)
    And at this point I only see the second night in Barcelona at a real danger of being possibly cancelled, all the other shows are selling well enough with 4months left. 
    just checked , yes O2 is still available from Jun 28 to Jul 1st
  • Options
    just_one said:
    Zen23 said:
    kaw753 said:
    clearly an option.
  • Options
    just_one said:
    Zen23 said:
    kaw753 said:
    clearly an option.
    and since the price was the same at the start of the sale they could make the seats in the stadium the same as the arena.

only thing that could not work is the GA , o2 might not hold the same amount of people that already has tickets for GA and fit them in the O2
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,741
    just_one said:
    just_one said:
    Zen23 said:
    kaw753 said:
    clearly an option.
    and since the price was the same at the start of the sale they could make the seats in the stadium the same as the arena.

only thing that could not work is the GA , o2 might not hold the same amount of people that already has tickets for GA and fit them in the O2
    Absolutely, I dont honestly see them moving this show at all as much as I'd love them to. It would cause havoc with peoples planning, especially if they then decide to do a night 2. 
  • Options
    ilockyerilockyer Posts: 2,249
    mcgruff10 said:
    At the current prices, that certainly appears to be the case. If they drop the non gold circle standing and less good seats prices in line with the average prices for other stadium/arena shows then it may pick up again. 
    Tjm007 said:
    O2 is a great venue - going to see Tool there again in the summer - saw QotSA there before Xmas.

Wont be moved there as cancelling White Hart Lane would be ruinous.
    Indeed, they'd have the cost of hiring the o2, they'd lose a whole heap of the money they paid to hire WHL, then have the admin costs of relocating everyone. Worst case scenario, they can always move the stage further down the pitch, make the portion of the stadium used smaller and just relocate people to the new equivalent of what they'd bought. 

And then there's the non financial damage... downsizing a stadium show to an arena. The media would have a field day beating them with the pricing structure, TM stuff all over again... plus probably a few bruised egos. 
    The secret to a happy ending is knowing when to roll the credits