Options

European Tour Sales = Desaster

Comments

• Options
    Luckytwn1Luckytwn1 Posts: 510
    PJNB said:
    vedpunk said:
    Its only March 1st (or 2nd) and the prices will adjust accordingly.  That’s how this new ticketing system works for better or worse.  
    N2 for Barcelona is not even half sold out. The sections I am showing you here are the best sections available in the 200s right next to Mike. Sec 223, 224, and 225. The section to the left that looks sold out has never been available. The further you go back the worse it is. Some sections have zero tickets sold. 

On top of that they dropped the price down on the 300's and they are barely moving any of those. They can keep dropping the prices but I think for most people the damage is already done. We are talking close to 10,000 tickets they need to move here. 

Now Europe may be different because there has not been heavy use of Platinum there previously but in the US, Live Nation has made clear they now see it as a failure if a show sells out too quickly because it means they set the price too low. In 2019, I saw the Who at MSG. On the day of sale, they sold maybe 30-40% of the venue. Three weeks out, at least 1/3 of the venue was still unsold and yet, the night of the show, every seat was full. I paid $300 for 7th row on the floor, those tickets started out at over $1000 and they started to move them more around $600. It’s all about maximizing revenue now. 
  • Options
    vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 859
    Luckytwn1 said:
    PJNB said:
    vedpunk said:
    Its only March 1st (or 2nd) and the prices will adjust accordingly.  That’s how this new ticketing system works for better or worse.  
    N2 for Barcelona is not even half sold out. The sections I am showing you here are the best sections available in the 200s right next to Mike. Sec 223, 224, and 225. The section to the left that looks sold out has never been available. The further you go back the worse it is. Some sections have zero tickets sold. 

On top of that they dropped the price down on the 300's and they are barely moving any of those. They can keep dropping the prices but I think for most people the damage is already done. We are talking close to 10,000 tickets they need to move here. 

Now Europe may be different because there has not been heavy use of Platinum there previously but in the US, Live Nation has made clear they now see it as a failure if a show sells out too quickly because it means they set the price too low. In 2019, I saw the Who at MSG. On the day of sale, they sold maybe 30-40% of the venue. Three weeks out, at least 1/3 of the venue was still unsold and yet, the night of the show, every seat was full. I paid $300 for 7th row on the floor, those tickets started out at over $1000 and they started to move them more around $600. It’s all about maximizing revenue now. 
    Yup
  • Options
    Zen23Zen23 Posts: 400
    PJNB said:
    vedpunk said:
    Tjm007 said:
    These prices were crazy for Europe - hardly surprising that sales are poor. 
    Give it time….all these shows will sell out or be close to sold out.   
    Not even close to selling out. Wait until fan to fan adds seats back on to the map too. 
    Exactly. Wait and see what the graphic for Tottemham Stadium will look like once the red fansale tickets appear in addition to the thousands of unsold seats. It's like the stadium has measles.
  • Options
    dannydanny Posts: 2,274
    not surprised considering ticket prices
    danny d
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,594
    Stadium -london-expensive-mainly be watching on a screen... Easy pass
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    Tjm007Tjm007 Posts: 166
    Zen23 said:
    PJNB said:
    vedpunk said:
    Tjm007 said:
    Not even close to selling out. Wait until fan to fan adds seats back on to the map too. 
    Exactly. Wait and see what the graphic for Tottemham Stadium will look like once the red fansale tickets appear in addition to the thousands of unsold seats. It's like the stadium has measles.
    Whilst playing to a half empty stadium would be mildly amusing and perhaps send a message - I can imagine one outcome in the future will be PJ skipping London or even Europe on future tours.
  • Options
    edited March 2
    I've also thought about it before. But it would be a totally stupid consequence. Sounds like insulted toddler behavior to me. The only correct consequence would be to set ticket prices at a reasonable level right from the start. At least for the upper tiers.
    Post edited by Zen23 on
  • Options
    Yeah read the room 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    JABKJABK Finland Posts: 316
    Yeah read the room 
    Yep...play arenas and festivals in Europe with decent pricing.
  • Options
    Gravey1975Gravey1975 Posts: 285
    edited March 2
    Tjm007 said:
    Zen23 said:
    PJNB said:
    vedpunk said:
    Tjm007 said:
    Whilst playing to a half empty stadium would be mildly amusing and perhaps send a message - I can imagine one outcome in the future will be PJ skipping London or even Europe on future tours.
    Or just play more sensibly sized shows. Even at £160 a ticket, London O2 would have easily sold out by now. Even 2 nights  - as per the rumoured original plan - would probably have almost sold out.
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,043
    vedpunk said:
    Luckytwn1 said:
    PJNB said:
    vedpunk said:

Yup

Dropping standard prices for 10,000 seats is not the way they do business. They missed the window with the most eyes looking for tickets.

Maybe if they had a couple of thousand premium tickets to move then ya I would agree but this is way above that.

Also it’s interesting they actually lower the standard prices in Europe. With shows like Fresno and Sacramento in 2022 they did not move the lowest price at all. 

I am going to Barcelona. I am excited for the city and the shows. That said they missed the mark big time here.

• Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,835
    Still can’t wait for the shows.. 

Picked up front standing for London so I’m not too concerned what’s going on behind me….. just excited to see the band again shitty stadium or not
  • Options
    drfoxdrfox Posts: 1,165
    JABK said:
    Yeah read the room 
    Yep...play arenas and festivals in Europe with decent pricing.
    Yep - this is not Pearl Jam’s model but if they did a run of 8 or so arena shows in the U.K. like Kings of Leon are doing or QOTSA did last year (eg in Leeds, Birmingham, Manchester, Glasgow, Nottingham etc) and priced around £100-£120 a ticket they would have sold the entire tour the morning the tickets went on sale. People don’t want to spend £160 for tickets a mile away from the stage in one of the largest football stadiums in a not great area of London. Still looking forward to the shows though despite these issues and pleased I got GA
  • Options
    BlueLedbetterBlueLedbetter Posts: 1,202
    pdalowsky said:
    Still can’t wait for the shows.. 

Picked up front standing for London so I’m not too concerned what’s going on behind me….. just excited to see the band again shitty stadium or not
    Front standing makes a massive difference in stadiums I did it for springsteen and it felt like being at a show rather than watching on tv
  • Options
    Wonder if they’ll go back to 15-18 date Euro tours after this (hopefully they will not skip us!). I like to think the reason for the high ticket prices is that with the tour being so much shorter than normal they have less shows to spread the cost over (and not just wanting to maximise revenue). Tour length must have something to do with it, how else can QOTSA charge £55 a ticket.
  • Options
    JackD.JackD. Posts: 485
    drfox said:
    Wonder if they’ll go back to 15-18 date Euro tours after this (hopefully they will not skip us!). I like to think the reason for the high ticket prices is that with the tour being so much shorter than normal they have less shows to spread the cost over (and not just wanting to maximise revenue). Tour length must have something to do with it, how else can QOTSA charge £55 a ticket.
    Easy. QOTSA has a lower fee. People have to stop trying to make reason. If Pearl Jam wouldn‘t ask for a very high fee per show, tickets would be significantly cheaper.
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,403
    Luckytwn1 said:
    PJNB said:
    vedpunk said:

This was my experience with Smashing Pumpkins. For a couple months after the onsale it wasn't even half sold. It was insane. I wondered if they would cancel it or move it. By the show it was 80-90% full. A couple nosebleed sections that were empty in the back but a totally normal arena crowd.
  • Options
    kmcmanuskmcmanus Posts: 675
    Tjm007 said:
    Zen23 said:
    PJNB said:
    vedpunk said:
    Tjm007 said:
    The Who said a year ago that they will likely never tour America again because it’s too expensive and that if there’s even 1 cancellation they’d likely lose money on the tour. And PJ is a band that has had cancellation issues the last 3 years. So I’d expect that this could be more of a possibility than people want to accept. 
    If you don’t like the price certainly don’t pay it, vote with your wallets. But if you vote “no” that may be your final answer. The rhythm section are in thier sixties, none of this will last forever.
  • Options
    apirk72apirk72 Posts: 493
    JackD. said:
    drfox said:
    Easy. QOTSA has a lower fee. People have to stop trying to make reason. If Pearl Jam wouldn‘t ask for a very high fee per show, tickets would be significantly cheaper.
    They should have a much higher fee then QOTSA, not an insult to them.   They aren't ever going to do larger tours then these, and if they don't want to they shouldnt have to.  Touring is super expensive and I can't imagine how expensive it would be to tour abroad.  If they played more shows tickets would be cheaper but then you have a band playing shows they really do not want to be playing and that doesn't always end well.
  • Options
    apirk72 said:
    JackD. said:
    drfox said:
    They should have a much higher fee than QOTSA, not an insult to them.   They aren't ever going to do larger tours than these, and if they don't want to they shouldnt have to.  Touring is super expensive and I can't imagine how expensive it would be to tour abroad.  If they played more shows tickets would be cheaper but then you have a band playing shows they really do not want to be playing and that doesn't always end well.
    Overall I think we are all looking forward for the tour. I’m ultra excited about seeing them again despite my slight disappointment in the way the whole thing played out. I do feel lucky that I can do my four shows, they always form such special memories. I feel a bit disappointed for a few people I know though on the various fan groups who are struggling financially to go (some of them missing the tour for the first time in around 30 years). 
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,448
    Air23 said:
    Low ticket sale in Europe is not only a fiasco in terms of unsold tickets for 2024 shows. The reputation of the band has turned from grunge heroes to greedy old corporate people
    It’s hard to argue your point! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Air23 said:
    Low ticket sale in Europe is not only a fiasco in terms of unsold tickets for 2024 shows. The reputation of the band has turned from grunge heroes to greedy old corporate people
    It’s hard to argue your point! 
    Agreed
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    Air23 said:
    Lol "grunge heroes"
  • Options
    Folks I would kill for Fenway to be 50% sold right now. It means a cheap ticket bonanza is coming your way in the days leading up to the show. Just be patient and wait for the deals. Don't get mad, find the opportunity.
  • Options
    MarcvHMarcvH Amersfoort, Netherlands Posts: 25
    edited March 3
    Nevermind

Post edited by MarcvH on
    Arnhem 2006, Nijmegen 2007, Rotterdam 2009, Nijmegen 2010, Werchter 2010, Amsterdam II 2012, Amsterdam I 2014, Amsterdam II 2017 (Ed Solo), Amsterdam I 2018, Amsterdam II 2018, Amsterdam I 2022, Amsterdam II 2022, Berlin I 2024, Berlin II 2024 and... was on the quest list of Vera Groningen 1996.. but went to my girlfriends father's birthday instead, damned!
  • Options
    mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,815
    willwall said:
    ilockyer said:
    Soybeans said:
    willwall said:
    I’m so happy that this has backfired on them. 

Things that are ok in the US, doesn’t mean it’s ok to do here. 

Manchester is 50% sold. London is easily less than 50% sold. You reap what you sow at the end of the day.

Those saying it’s not the band and that they are entirely blameless are wrong. They’ll know what’s going on. At least Springsteen had the bottle to come out and own up to the Dynamic pricing and what he was doing. 

Can see a lot of these shows being reduced or even on offer in a few weeks time.
    Is already happening. The prices for Barcelona are coming down. Barcelona uppers down $30, lowers have come down by $50.

But it's too late for many. Scanning the sad comments on the socials, it's clear that our proud Spanish PJ brothers and sisters are done. Sadly,  I have to hope these arenas remain half empty at show time. 
    If its half empty the show gets cancelled. Be careful what you wish for if you have tix
    With this lovely variable pricing, a show doesn't need to sell out to be break even or be profitable. So long as they sell enough at whatever price to raise the funds for the promoter to cover all costs including paying the band, there'd be no reason to cancel even if 50% of the seats were unsold.
    I get that. But on the other side, I doubt the band will want to walk out to a load of empty seats both from a pride perspective and image of the band. Hopefully they learn their lesson from this tour and go back to how it’s always been and how it should be.
    Or just quit touring to that city.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    Are you saying that the logical consequence of people not being willing or able to afford to pay such high ticket prices is to simply stop playing for the people in those cities? And only play in cities where people can afford the horrendous ticket prices and other costs associated with a concert experience? Find the flaw in this perverse system and what it leads to.
  • Options
    JackD.JackD. Posts: 485
    edited March 4
    Zen23 said:
    Are you saying that the logical consequence of people not being willing or able to afford to pay such high ticket prices is to simply stop playing for the people in those cities? And only play in cities where people can afford the horrendous ticket prices and other costs associated with a concert experience? Find the flaw in this perverse system and what it leads to.
    Honestly? Switching markets is just one small step away from taking those outrageous ticket prices. I can totally see them skipping markets, where they can‘t make big dollars.
  • Options
    JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,445
    Zen23 said:
    In an ideal world I agree with you. I also think the prices are too high. In the real world I‘m afraid they may not come back to Europe until their farewell tour. Enough people will shell out the money then.
    Even doing a proper Euro tour with more shows I don’t see them lowering the price.
  • Options
    edited March 4
    I also fear that this is it for Europe for the time being. They're certainly not going to put up with this kind of presale and this kind of shitstorm again in two years' time. I can only see two scenarios for another European tour going well. Reasonable prices, at least in the upper tiers from the start. Or a farewell tour with even higher prices, which the fans don't care about because it will be the last time.
    Post edited by Zen23 on