Options

European Tour Sales = Desaster

Comments

• Options
    JackD.JackD. Posts: 485
    I can see them sticking to their 2 year routine but alter cities. Berlin and/or Amsterdam only every 4 years. I guess that would keep demand high enough to bill as they want to.
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,786
    Zen23 said:
    I also fear that this is it for Europe for the time being. They're certainly not going to put up with this kind of presale and this kind of shitstorm again in two years' time. I can only see two scenarios for another European tour going well. Reasonable prices, at least in the upper tiers from the start. Or a farewell tour with even higher prices, which the fans don't care about because it will be the last time.
    or hitting the festival circuit
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,427
    People talking farewell tour....

..... what is this...

A 1999 KISS ARMY membership meeting 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    tino_11tino_11 Posts: 2,000
    pdalowsky said:
    Zen23 said:
    I also fear that this is it for Europe for the time being. They're certainly not going to put up with this kind of presale and this kind of shitstorm again in two years' time. I can only see two scenarios for another European tour going well. Reasonable prices, at least in the upper tiers from the start. Or a farewell tour with even higher prices, which the fans don't care about because it will be the last time.
    I wouldn't worry too much. This is a shorter Euro leg than usual and they've certainly hit the resistance mark price wise. I can see them offsetting lower price tickets for regular shows with a few more festival appearances to make future tours work for them. 

PJ knows that there's a decent size fanbase here with relatively high income, clearly not US level but greater than most parts of the world. They won't want to oversaturate the market in the US, so it makes sense to do Europe, South America etc once in a while.  
    2010: London
    2012: Manchester I, Manchester II, Manchester (EV) 
    2014: Milan, Leeds, Milton Keynes 
    2017: London II (EV) 
    2018: Amsterdam I, London I, Prague, London II 
    2019: London (EV)
    2022: London I, London II, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam
  • Options
    just_onejust_one Lisbon Posts: 2,013
    While i do think the tour will end up selling , i dont think barcelona night 2 and  berlin night 2 will sell out, specially barcelona, Berlin night 2 will be close to sell out alongside london IF they drop the prices from the seats in the top of the stadium (in london case)

• Options
    ilockyerilockyer Posts: 2,254
    edited March 4
    pdalowsky said:
    Zen23 said:
    I've been thinking about this. They've played Werchter each time they've come over since 2010, and are here again at the same time but not playing this time. Is this because they've increased the booking fee and Werchter has decided they don't want to pay it, or that PJ management thought that dynamic pricing on sell out arena shows would make them more than the Werchter festival payment would? It was always one of the "bankers" around which an EU tour was set, along with Pinkpop, with occasionally Open'er or Arras Main Square in years past. 
    UK festival wise moving forward, the only ones that can afford them are Download/BST/Reading & Leeds, Glastonbury don't pay the going rate so can be immediately ruled out. Maybe a solitary UK show at Wembley Stadium next time around, that must be a box they want to tick before they're done. 

Mad Cool & NOS are the outliers, given how cheap those festivals are, for day and weekend tickets, they must be either making very little money at those prices, have any losses subsidised by sponsors/local authorities, or they had signed a multi-year deal with PJ at a price that made this possible. The crowds there will get a full PJ show for fraction of what everywhere else pays. If PJ return again, that's not going to happen. 
    Post edited by ilockyer on
    The secret to a happy ending is knowing when to roll the credits
  • Options
    RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,444
    Haven’t read the whole thread but noticed there is now a 125 GBP tier at London for some of the lower sections at the back.  The 91 GBP price isn’t moving too many of the rear uppers.  And still tons of seats at the original price of 160.
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • Options
    axeljohanaxeljohan Posts: 419
    edited March 4
    just_one said:
    While i do think the tour will end up selling , i dont think barcelona night 2 and  berlin night 2 will sell out, specially barcelona, Berlin night 2 will be close to sell out alongside london IF they drop the prices from the seats in the top of the stadium (in london case)

There is not much diffence between Berlin 1 and Berlin 2. hardly any tickets in the 3rd tier were sold for 175 EUR for both nights. I don't think they will sell out any Berlin night without further discounted tickets for the 3rd tier.
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,377
    Zen23 said:
    Are you saying that the logical consequence of people not being willing or able to afford to pay such high ticket prices is to simply stop playing for the people in those cities? And only play in cities where people can afford the horrendous ticket prices and other costs associated with a concert experience? Find the flaw in this perverse system and what it leads to.
    Uh...yes
  • Options
    kmcmanuskmcmanus Posts: 675
    Zen23 said:
    Are you saying that the logical consequence of people not being willing or able to afford to pay such high ticket prices is to simply stop playing for the people in those cities? And only play in cities where people can afford the horrendous ticket prices and other costs associated with a concert experience? Find the flaw in this perverse system and what it leads to.
    Yes, this exactly. Kind of like the many US cities they used to play but don’t anymore in the last decade. They aren’t interested in playing 72 shows a year anymore, something’s gonna give.
    At this point in their career the number of cities/shows per tour will only go down and the price (for them and for us) will only go up. That’s reality. So yes, if one of the limited cities they still play has poor sales, they won’t be back there. Nor would it make sense to. 
  • Options
    Force Of NatureForce Of Nature Hertfordshire, England Posts: 965
    I dont think any of this will affect where or when they play in Europe again, maybe just a change in process e.g. ticketing system, advanced notice etc
  • Options
    kaw753kaw753 Posts: 767
    I have a stupid question. The NZ/Aus tour had the second nights added "due to unprecedented demand." Why did they even announce the second nights in Berlin and Barcelona before the first nights sold out? Seems like they could have saved themselves some bad PR by just holding off on those. Clearly, they would not have announced the second night and maybe pivoted by adding a show or two later on to fill in the schedule gaps. It seems like adding a show in the South of France or Zurich is better than playing to a half empty arena on a Monday night in Barcelona. 
  • Options
    just_onejust_one Lisbon Posts: 2,013
    edited March 4
    kaw753 said:
    I have a stupid question. The NZ/Aus tour had the second nights added "due to unprecedented demand." Why did they even announce the second nights in Berlin and Barcelona before the first nights sold out? Seems like they could have saved themselves some bad PR by just holding off on those. Clearly, they would not have announced the second night and maybe pivoted by adding a show or two later on to fill in the schedule gaps. It seems like adding a show in the South of France or Zurich is better than playing to a half empty arena on a Monday night in Barcelona. 
    who ever is in charge now thought they could sell out both nights with those price tickets, plain and simple.

i have no doubt that the price tickets in berlin,barcelona and london are the reason its not sold out yet, also annoucing in february and not the usual december didnt help either

also....after 2022 fuck france!
    Post edited by just_one on
  • Options
    HailHailVitalogyHailHailVitalogy Posts: 4,618
    Yeah in hindsight if they didn’t announce the second nights in Europe they could have had a contingency to add a different city. But there’s no way people in Prague are gonna pay those prices.
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2
  • Options
    drfoxdrfox Posts: 1,152
    Not sure if any line has seen but the Black Keys have just announced a short U.K. tour including a date at the Co-Op Live arena in Manchester. Will be interesting to see how well that sells. Pearl Jam are a much much bigger band than Black Keys in the U.K. so if Black Keys is an instant sell out it sort of confirms the pricing issue. 
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,994
    Two nights over three days gives an extra day for merch sales in each city. Definitely part of the touring model. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    ilockyerilockyer Posts: 2,254
    drfox said:
    Not sure if any line has seen but the Black Keys have just announced a short U.K. tour including a date at the Co-Op Live arena in Manchester. Will be interesting to see how well that sells. Pearl Jam are a much much bigger band than Black Keys in the U.K. so if Black Keys is an instant sell out it sort of confirms the pricing issue. 
    The other 2 dates of which are at the soon to reopen Brixton Academy. Total of 10k across the 2 nights there if capacity isn't reduced as part of the licence conditions. Playing the arena seems an odd choice. 
    The secret to a happy ending is knowing when to roll the credits
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,921
    Same fan base that’ll drop $500 or more on merch without blinking. 
  • Options
    DE4173DE4173 Posts: 464
    nicknyr15 said:

1993: 11/22 Little Rock
    1996; 9/28 New York
    1997: 11/14 Oakland, 11/15 Oakland
    1998: 7/5 Dallas, 7/7 Albuquerque, 7/8 Phoenix, 7/10 San Diego, 7/11 Las Vegas
    2000: 10/17 Dallas
    2003: 4/3 OKC
    2012: 11/17 Tulsa(EV), 11/18 Tulsa(EV)
    2013: 11/16 OKC
    2014: 10/8 Tulsa
    2022: 9/20 OKC
    2023: 9/13 Ft Worth, 9/15 Ft Worth
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    After waiting in line for three plus hours to do so.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,921
    JimmyV said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    After waiting in line for three plus hours to do so.
    Exactly.
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,220
    tino_11 said:
    pdalowsky said:
    Zen23 said:
    I wouldn't worry too much. This is a shorter Euro leg than usual and they've certainly hit the resistance mark price wise. I can see them offsetting lower price tickets for regular shows with a few more festival appearances to make future tours work for them. 

PJ knows that there's a decent size fanbase here with relatively high income, clearly not US level but greater than most parts of the world. They won't want to oversaturate the market in the US, so it makes sense to do Europe, South America etc once in a while.  

Yes ticket prices stink but,
    Oversaturate the US market?? Most of us in New York have never seen a blue dot msg face value ticket ever, and prices are too high?

Not only are fans willing to pay the $200 for the ticket, they're paying $500 for airfare and $300 a night for hotel rooms to see them here

Yet they refuse to play an appropriate number of shows in New York commensurate with their popularity here
  • Options
    cottagesteezecottagesteeze St. Paul, MN Posts: 218
    tino_11 said:
    pdalowsky said:
    Zen23 said:

Yes ticket prices stink but,
    Oversaturate the US market?? Most of us in New York have never seen a blue dot msg face value ticket ever, and prices are too high?

Not only are fans willing to pay the $200 for the ticket, they're paying $500 for airfare and $300 a night for hotel rooms to see them here

Yet they refuse to play an appropriate number of shows in New York commensurate with their popularity here
    What exactly is the "appropriate number of shows"? They don't owe anything to us. This is their job. It doesn't matter how popular they are in a given location, they tour how and where they want. If it's important to a fan, they can either accept to pay the cost of a ticket or not. So much entitlement around here.
  • Options
    RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,444
    I mean there are 7 shows within reasonable range of NYC in a 15 day period, and 3 more in 7 more days if you include Indy and Chicago.   
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • Options
    sales seem to improve a bit in Berlin
  • Options
    Zen23Zen23 Posts: 383
    Well. Minimal. Still a long way to go.
  • Options
    MRMACPHISTO75MRMACPHISTO75 Posts: 396
    Tottenham May end up like The Who at Wembley when Eddie supported. Half sold even with Ticketmaster offering 2-1 nearer the time
    4784495 - Thomas 9
  • Options
    Zen23Zen23 Posts: 383
    What does 2-1 mean?
  • Options
    Hawk123Hawk123 Posts: 2,012
    Zen23 said:
    What does 2-1 mean?
    Buy one, get one free I’m assuming
  • Options
    A twofer