Options

Ticket prices. This is not for you (the fans).

Comments

• Options
    vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 859
    I remember when a dime bag only cost a dime.

The price of the ticket is the price of the ticket. Not sure what’s happened in Europe but minimum wage in the U.S. has tripled since 1995. If you got a $40 ticket back then at Min Wage it was basically an 8 hour shift without taking out taxes. Tickets are $200 now or $25/hour of work in an 8 hour day. Most PJ fans are post 40 I assume and if you aren’t making at least $25/hour you’ve probably made a lot of poor career choices. The band has to pay a crew and it ain’t the same pay rate as it was in 1995 either. There are a lot of things I would love to do but cannot afford, I’m not going to Bora Bora’s message board to complain about how expensive it costs to get there 
    💯
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,594
    edited March 3
    You are talking over a 30 year period,I'm pretty  sure minimum wage has not trebled here,the tickets doubled in one tour here it's not comparable.
    And lots of young fans not all over 40. My friend is taking his son  I guess they can afford it but it's not the norm here.
    Post edited by lastexitlondon on
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,755

The price of the ticket is the price of the ticket. Not sure what’s happened in Europe but minimum wage in the U.S. has tripled since 1995. If you got a $40 ticket back then at Min Wage it was basically an 8 hour shift without taking out taxes. Tickets are $200 now or $25/hour of work in an 8 hour day. Most PJ fans are post 40 I assume and if you aren’t making at least $25/hour you’ve probably made a lot of poor career choices. The band has to pay a crew and it ain’t the same pay rate as it was in 1995 either. There are a lot of things I would love to do but cannot afford, I’m not going to Bora Bora’s message board to complain about how expensive it costs to get there 
    I'm not getting $25 per hour, so what you saying here is PJ is not for me anymore??..Bora Bora's example is invalidity..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    Tjm007Tjm007 Posts: 166
    The comments on PJ’s instagram posts suggest it’s not just a 10C forum thing.. Getting an absolute roasting..
  • Options
    Windermere11Windermere11 Earth Posts: 134

Most PJ fans are post 40 I assume and if you aren’t making at least $25/hour you’ve probably made a lot of poor career choices. 
    My parole officer and both ex-wives completely agree. But thank god for the lottery...  ;)   
    Thank you Mike!!!

1990 12/22
    1991 2/1,26; 3/1; 5/25; 8/23,29
    1992 1/3,17; 7/22; 9/20
    1993 9/5; 10/25; 12/7,8,9
    1995 6/24; 11/4
    1998 7/10,11,13,14
    2000 10/22,25,28,30
    2003 6/2,3,5,6; 10/28
    2006 7/6,7,9,10,12,13; 11/30; 12/2,9
    2009 9/30; 10/1,6,7,9
    2010 5/1
    2013 11/21,23,24
    2014 10/25
    2016 11/14
    2018 8/8,10
    2021 9/26; 10/1,2
    2022 5/3,6,7
    2024 5/16,18,21,22
  • Options
    Tjm007 said:
    The comments on PJ’s instagram posts suggest it’s not just a 10C forum thing.. Getting an absolute roasting..
    Good needs saying.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,403
    You have to be a mental patient to whine at a band about prices on social media. They already have the ultimate barometer for that - are the tickets selling to expectations or not? "I think I should pay less." Wow, thank you for the valuable feedback.
  • Options
    Welcome to the asylum 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,224
    edited March 3
    I understand I am in the belly of the beast. Here are the loyalists of a terrible  system. But the system is loved here because some are benefiting thousands of dollars each tour off of “market rates” and most of the money spent is being sent to airlines and hotels.

I say let’s have PJ recoup that income. One need to look no further at pj premium and broker sites to understand that every ten c ticket in high demand markets is sold at a massive discount off “market rates”, using the words or our legendary band. Argue with the band, that’s their words. A discount so massive is a price control.

simple solution.

step 1. For high demand shows, charge GA $325 and p1 $270. That’s way below “market rate.” Keep p2 at current prices. Keep tenure process.

step 2. Take 10% of inventory from buckets (verified, platinum and 10 c-3% each) and have a lottery losers bracket silent auction, minimum bid $325

That should drive odds from 5% to over 50%. Brings desire to spend in line with market rate. Will balance supply v demand.

Anyone choosing to slam this “proposal” please attest they’ve never spent $500+ on travel and incidentals for a $120 PJ ticket. I say PJ deserves some of that revenue.

Edit, since they now play two shows in high demand markets, price one at existing prices and the second one with a new procedure 

Post edited by Lerxst1992 on
  • Options
    JD87070JD87070 Posts: 159
    I understand I am in the belly of the beast. Here are the loyalists of a terrible  system. But the system is loved here because some are benefiting thousands of dollars each tour off of “market rates” and most of the money spent is being sent to airlines and hotels.

I say let’s have PJ recoup that income. One need to look no further at pj premium and broker sites to understand that every ten c ticket in high demand markets is sold at a massive discount off “market rates”, using the words or our legendary band. Argue with the band, that’s their words. A discount so massive is a price control.

simple solution.

step 1. For high demand shows, charge GA $325 and p1 $270. That’s way below “market rate.” Keep p2 at current prices. Keep tenure process.

step 2. Take 10% of inventory from buckets (verified, platinum and 10 c-3% each) and have a lottery losers bracket silent auction, minimum bid $325

That should drive odds from 5% to over 50%. Brings desire to spend in line with market rate. Will balance supply v demand.

Anyone choosing to slam this “proposal” please attest they’ve never spent $500+ on travel and incidentals for a $120 PJ ticket. I say PJ deserves some of that revenue.

Edit, since they now play two shows in high demand markets, price one at existing prices and the second one with a new procedure 

So basically, you’re saying you want higher ticket prices so people can’t afford to travel to shows and more locals will have access to tickets? Nice idea in theory, except people who can afford to spend over a thousand dollars to travel to a show aren’t going to be deterred by higher ticket prices. The whole idea behind the PJ Premium tickets is that the band does get a piece of the market rate like you keep advocating for. As of now they may have set said market rate too high, but if the tickets don’t sell those prices will come down until they do sell.
  • Options
    ShibariShibari Posts: 14
    edited March 3

Post edited by Shibari on
  • Options
    ShibariShibari Posts: 14
    edited March 3
    . It is doubtful that the higher prices will benefit the band and your foundation. Ticketmaster sells tickets for €170, Eventim, a comparable company in Germany that is also not friendly, sells tickets in Berlin for €120. I highly doubt that the difference will benefit the band and its employees. Rather, it's purely TM's profit margin. We remember that they only sell tickets and wanted shipping costs even for online tickets.

2. I like the approach... anyone who doesn't make $25 an hour has made bad decisions in their life. It shows how empathetic people can be. The band once stood for everyone being able to afford their concerts, they even sued TM for it. Thanks to the well-known corrupt politics and judiciary in the USA, they lost......, we see the result today...... Art that they are only the middle class, which doesn't exist in the USA anyway, and rich can afford. The fact that the USA is known for not even having two jobs to live on is ignored. The constant advertising on NFL Network for Feeding America should shame a rich country like you. But surely they all made bad decisions. I hope for your sake that you are never affected by something that is beyond your control......stroke, chronic illness, being born poor etc...

3. You hardly see a younger audience because they simply can't afford it anymore. They save everything for one Harry Styles for 350 a ticket. How many bands can they still see?
  • Options

simple solution.

Christ can you imagine the moaning and conspiracy theories if they ran a silent auction. To say nothing of the labor involved in executing that.
  • Options
    SHZASHZA St. Louis, MO USA Posts: 3,508
    edited March 3
    demetrios said:
    Feb 29: Live Nation executive publishes an article claiming LN/TM fees are so low, they're lucky if they can even scratch out a profit.

March 1: 

Post edited by SHZA on
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,495
    I wonder if the band reads or knows about the disgruntled fans or even care anymore! Or maybe they don’t have a clue on what’s happening with this issue 🤔

Jose, they care, but it is a different industry now and I think they signed off on that.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,448
    Get_Right said:
    I wonder if the band reads or knows about the disgruntled fans or even care anymore! Or maybe they don’t have a clue on what’s happening with this issue 🤔

Jose, they care, but it is a different industry now and I think they signed off on that.
    Yep it’s the norm now it’s all good! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,224
    JD87070 said:

simple solution.

So basically, you’re saying you want higher ticket prices so people can’t afford to travel to shows and more locals will have access to tickets? Nice idea in theory, except people who can afford to spend over a thousand dollars to travel to a show aren’t going to be deterred by higher ticket prices. The whole idea behind the PJ Premium tickets is that the band does get a piece of the market rate like you keep advocating for. As of now they may have set said market rate too high, but if the tickets don’t sell those prices will come down until they do sell.

Its not a " piece" ....Half the revenue earned from the NY shows are from variable pricing/premium tickets. At least half. The tickets are selling because PJ has created desperation in the market.

I'm not sure fans understand how the new priority rules screwed New Yorkers by cutting odds probably 75% lower than past tours with 2 shows, so odds for a NY show could have been around 3%

Fans don't seem to understand the impact on "market rates" by having so many "unfulfilled" NYers

Were the new priority rules drawn up to maximize market rates in NY? 

So if half the money they earn on that msg stage is from market rates, then yes, the ticketing system needs to do everything it can to be fair to new york
  • Options
    JD87070 said:

simple solution.

Its not a " piece" ....Half the revenue earned from the NY shows are from variable pricing/premium tickets. At least half. The tickets are selling because PJ has created desperation in the market.

I'm not sure fans understand how the new priority rules screwed New Yorkers by cutting odds probably 75% lower than past tours with 2 shows, so odds for a NY show could have been around 3%

Fans don't seem to understand the impact on "market rates" by having so many "unfulfilled" NYers

Were the new priority rules drawn up to maximize market rates in NY? 

So if half the money they earn on that msg stage is from market rates, then yes, the ticketing system needs to do everything it can to be fair to new york
    Don't understand or couldn't possibly care less?
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,633
    20 pages.

All we need to do is realize that the Pearl Jam that was trying to keep ticket prices as low as possible is gone.  Long freaking gone.  THey've done a great thing for the fan club members to keep those prices reasonable compared to the rest of the ticket prices.  But you aren't seeing 1995 Pearl Jam, you are seeing 2024 Pearl Jam.   

You ask them to charge $110 a ticket.  The scalper will buy it and sell it for $300.  Makes zero sense for the band to sell the ticket for $110.  I think they could possibly consider it if they knew fans were buying it and not scalping it, but that isn't how the system works anymore and they have to play inside the system.  So, I think the band is happy that they can at least get 10-20% of the venue filled with 10c members paying reasonable prices and the other 80 to 90% is a free for all to all who can afford it.  

If we had a choice, I think most of us would want to see a 1993 Pearl Jam show over a 2024 Pearl Jam show.  Go find that new artist that fits that rising star category if you want to pay $65 for a ticket to a concert.    If you want to see the legendary rock band in the late stages of their careers playing shows, then open up the wallet.  They kept prices reasonable compared to their peers for a long, long time.  Don't fault them for cashing in some.    
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,633
    Flights to California:  $600 x 2 = $1,200
    3 nights hotel:  $250 x 3 = $750
    Other transit:  $150
    Total Price of Trip before Pearl Jam =  $2,100

Pearl Jam increases prices $50 on their tickets.  F you Pearl Jam, I can't afford that!
  • Options
    mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,815
    Flights to California:  $600 x 2 = $1,200
    3 nights hotel:  $250 x 3 = $750
    Other transit:  $150
    Total Price of Trip before Pearl Jam =  $2,100

Pearl Jam increases prices $50 on their tickets.  F you Pearl Jam, I can't afford that!
    Bingo.
    I also came across a comment about how touring costs would be a financial struggle. Had to double-check if I was reading The Onion.

I know an easy way to save 100% on all these costs.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    maximumlawmanmaximumlawman Regensburg, Germany Posts: 222
    For those of you who read German:  in today’s Sueddeutsche Zeitung a thoroughly written article about ticket pricing  (that also quotes this forum) comes to the conclusion that we have to say goodbye to the distant ideal that popular music remains a good from which no one should be excluded. 
  • Options

• Options
    Zen23Zen23 Posts: 400
    Danke für den Artikel. 
  • Options
    Zen23 said:
    Danke für den Artikel. 
    Sehr gerne! Er macht ein bisschen melancholisch. Und traurig. 
  • Options
    RW8297RW8297 Posts: 1,602

Perfect title and photo!
  • Options
    Zen23Zen23 Posts: 400
    edited March 4
    Small translation service on my part. The most important passages. Although the title "My ticket, my ruin" and the caption under Mr. Vedder's photo say it all.

"It is first and foremost the artists who determine with their management what income they expect from a tour." Eddie Vedder.

Other interesting points:

With Pearl Jam, however, you have to bear in mind that some of the fans traditionally travel after the band and so have to buy tickets for several concerts. The fan club offers limited special prices for this, but even these are now too expensive for many. Some fans have therefore announced that after decades they will break with the traveling around. They simply couldn't afford it anymore.

"Pearl Jam, you've completely lost your way," wrote British user Chris-Drake88 in a much-noticed post on the official fan club forum. "Unlike before, you are no longer a band of the people." You can find that overly self-pitying, but the question has not been chewed over yet. If even Pearl Jam, who peddle their commitment to inclusive prices and don't offer flying disco horses or LED show stairs, charge over 170 euros for the bad seats - is that really just down to the system? Or what else?

There are no answers from the companies that have organized the group's tours now and in the past. Inquiries as to how the prices were arrived at, whether there is a dynamic pricing principle in Germany (as in the USA) and how ticket companies, promoters and artists divide up the proceeds are rejected or ignored.

Johannes Everke, Managing Director of the Federal Association of the Concert and Event Industry: "It would also be wrong to blame the ticket retailers. First and foremost, it is the artists and their management who determine what revenue they expect from a tour. What the individual tickets cost is then determined by what the organizers and artists agree on in view of the overall costs." This means that Pearl Jam also cross-finance the 200-euro seats in Berlin to a certain extent with the tickets, which the algorithm in the USA sometimes pushes up to over 1000 dollars.
    Post edited by Zen23 on
  • Options
    20 pages.

All we need to do is realize that the Pearl Jam that was trying to keep ticket prices as low as possible is gone.  Long freaking gone.  THey've done a great thing for the fan club members to keep those prices reasonable compared to the rest of the ticket prices.  But you aren't seeing 1995 Pearl Jam, you are seeing 2024 Pearl Jam.   

You ask them to charge $110 a ticket.  The scalper will buy it and sell it for $300.  Makes zero sense for the band to sell the ticket for $110.  I think they could possibly consider it if they knew fans were buying it and not scalping it, but that isn't how the system works anymore and they have to play inside the system.  So, I think the band is happy that they can at least get 10-20% of the venue filled with 10c members paying reasonable prices and the other 80 to 90% is a free for all to all who can afford it.  

If we had a choice, I think most of us would want to see a 1993 Pearl Jam show over a 2024 Pearl Jam show.  Go find that new artist that fits that rising star category if you want to pay $65 for a ticket to a concert.    If you want to see the legendary rock band in the late stages of their careers playing shows, then open up the wallet.  They kept prices reasonable compared to their peers for a long, long time.  Don't fault them for cashing in some.    
    1000% this
  • Options
    For those of you who read German:  in today’s Sueddeutsche Zeitung a thoroughly written article about ticket pricing  (that also quotes this forum) comes to the conclusion that we have to say goodbye to the distant ideal that popular music remains a good from which no one should be excluded. 
    This ideal is alive and well. There are scores of bands playing these same cities at a fraction of the cost. You don't have some sort of right to see the most popular bands in the world at arenas and stadiums and name your price.
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    This ideal is alive and well. There are scores of bands playing these same cities at a fraction of the cost. You don't have some sort of right to see the most popular bands in the world at arenas and stadiums and name your price.
    The ideal may be alive and well - but the Band that wrote Green Disease does little to convince us, that they still want to be part of this idealistic dream and have not joined the Ayn-Rand-Fanclub instead.