Options

Ticket prices. This is not for you (the fans).

Comments

• Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,396
    I read it.  I think most of if I knew, and I didn't find it far fetched.

I think the big thing I learned, that I didn't know, was that a significant portion of the service fee goes to the venue.   I assumed it came from the base ticket price.   Maybe TM wants to itemize that when they sell tickets, I thought it all went to TM.

I don't think ticket prices would change if TM wasn't there.   Maybe you get the portion of the service fees that go TM if you had competition bidding on ticketing contracts (opposed to monopoly), but I don't think you're going to get bands to lower what they get to result in lower base fees.

It feels like many industries over the last few years keep pushing prices to see where the drop off point is (where they stop selling all of their wares).  It's kind of crazy seeing how far industries can push prices before demand starts to drop off.
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,405
    Zod said:

I think the big thing I learned, that I didn't know, was that a significant portion of the service fee goes to the venue.   I assumed it came from the base ticket price.   Maybe TM wants to itemize that when they sell tickets, I thought it all went to TM.

I don't think ticket prices would change if TM wasn't there.   Maybe you get the portion of the service fees that go TM if you had competition bidding on ticketing contracts (opposed to monopoly), but I don't think you're going to get bands to lower what they get to result in lower base fees.

It feels like many industries over the last few years keep pushing prices to see where the drop off point is (where they stop selling all of their wares).  It's kind of crazy seeing how far industries can push prices before demand starts to drop off.
    The competition for even medium size shows is no better on fees (AXS, See Tickets). I'm paying the same 25-33%ish. Hell, AXS soaks me way more to mail hard tickets compared to TM or See. It only gets better when it's the teeny shows using Eventbrite.

So TM gets most of the heat because we've hated them for years, but frankly no one who has been given the opportunity is doing it any better.
  • Options
    JD87070JD87070 Posts: 159
    pjl44 said:
    Zod said:

The competition for even medium size shows is no better on fees (AXS, See Tickets). I'm paying the same 25-33%ish. Hell, AXS soaks me way more to mail hard tickets compared to TM or See. It only gets better when it's the teeny shows using Eventbrite.

So TM gets most of the heat because we've hated them for years, but frankly no one who has been given the opportunity is doing it any better.
    Just ask Zach Bryan, he tried going around TM last year and went through AXS for his whole tour. Was no better. Now for this year’s tour he’s back to TM full force, $300+ standard tickets for lower bowl of stadiums, seemingly no limits on Platinum tickets or resale. And last i checked, sales had not been good at all for his first attempt at a stadium tour. (Fyi, i’m not a fan, couldn’t really tell you anything he sings, but my daughter likes him).
  • Options
    MD190661MD190661 Posts: 394
    Maybe if people stopped paying obscene prices to see 2 hours of music the prices would come down. I can afford to pay $500 for a lower level face value Springsteen ticket, but refuse to do it. I'm not ruled by FOMO. 
    10/1/94, 6/22/95, 6/24/95, 9/16/96, 7/22/98, 10/21/01, 6/1/03, 10/25/03, 10/26/03, 9/1/05, 7/15/06, 7/18/06, 8/28/09, 10/07/09, 10/3/12, 11/26/13, 6/18/18, 8/10/18, 5/12/22, 5/13/22, 5/13/24, 5/25/24

• Options
    Tom GTom G United Kingdom Posts: 4
    Get_Right said:
    Tom G said:
    At best, the guys need to show a little more diligence when allowing Ticketmaster to be the agents for the tour.

At worst, they have sold out and ripped off their own fans in the worst and most ironic way.

Hope it's the former. Even if it's the latter, it's not too late to repent! Refer to Robert Smith/The Cure for how to handle Ticketmaster!

I wish someone would find one band other than the Cure that limited prices.
    Prince.....all tickets £31.21 at the O2 in London in 2007....wait, a band? Hmm.
  • Options
    JD87070 said:
    pjl44 said:
    Zod said:

Just ask Zach Bryan, he tried going around TM last year and went through AXS for his whole tour. Was no better. Now for this year’s tour he’s back to TM full force, $300+ standard tickets for lower bowl of stadiums, seemingly no limits on Platinum tickets or resale. And last i checked, sales had not been good at all for his first attempt at a stadium tour. (Fyi, i’m not a fan, couldn’t really tell you anything he sings, but my daughter likes him).
    That's interesting and not really surprising
  • Options
    EddieredderEddieredder Posts: 739
    edited March 1
    pjhawks said:

Try to match where you want to play and figure out who wants to see you more than anyone else. That’s where the majority of shows should be.stop expecting fans to fly to places you like, and in some cases taunt them with hundreds of unsold tickets.

if this was the case they need to play 4 or 5 shows in NYC and Philly if insist on playing indoors.  Really not sure what the solution is for Philly and NY other than play more shows in each city at one time.  Or play the ballparks.  I am still stunned they haven't played Citizens Bank Park in Philly yet.  Now could have been issues with that this year because CBP had at least 3 shows that I know of re-scheduled from last year for this year because of cancellations (2 Springsteen and Morgan Wallen).  And there are only so many dates available in the ballparks because you need about a week of no baseball dates to play shows.

And I actually think it's really cool they play smaller and different places.  It's a great experience to go places you maybe wouldn't normally go to see this band.  Plus in those smaller and/or non-NE places getting 10C tickets can be easier than the Philly and NYC shows. 

Thinking it’s cool to play smaller markets, although a good point, is one of many factors driving up nyc “market rates”

We are so trained to see the issue from their point of view, there are many options that could fit within a two show window. Tier pricing. If their plan is to leave $1000 msg tickets on TM for six months, why did they never attempt to sell any tickets at $300,$400 and all points in between face $180 and $1000? The higher face prices would force fans to put fair value priority on what they are willing to spend instead of jumping right to $1000

Another one, is a silent auction lottery. List a variety of tickets, and club members type in a price not knowing what the winning bid will be. Another, is to have  a losers bracket lottery for fans shut out of every show for a slightly to moderately higher price . There are many things they could try if they have any interest in treating customers fairly instead of heading straight to $1000. 

Instead they have a new lottery system that minimizes chances for New Yorkers without the priority lottery rankings. So I’ve been posting comments like this while reading in the msg winners thread comment after comment of folks from west coast, Canada, wherever, who are spending $180 on tickets and $500 to $1000 on travel to nyc. Thanks PJ. That’s a big driver of these outrageous “market rates”

The current system makes no sense, PJ is creating revenue for airlines and hotels, from their own pocket, while having hundreds of unsold tickets in many markets. These poor business policies have one victim, fans in the NE staring at that$1000 price tag for six months, since Pearl Jam obviously doesn’t care about this money, they are hardly a victim of their own decisions. Unless they are getting a cut from delta and Marriott.
    You know what drives up NY prices the most? Its NY. 

I understand your frustration, but you conveniently don't address any opposing thoughts to your narrative. And your suggestions, while well thought out and with the right intentions.......they aren't really problem solvers. 

I've been trying my entire life to get a MSG ticket. Its hard. Over your 1000s of posts on the issue, you continually say its $180 or $100 or bust. That is not the case and you know it. 
    Post edited by Eddieredder on
  • Options
    MD190661 said:
    Maybe if people stopped paying obscene prices to see 2 hours of music the prices would come down. I can afford to pay $500 for a lower level face value Springsteen ticket, but refuse to do it. I'm not ruled by FOMO. 
    It's not necessarily FOMO but often just value. If you only go to a couple shows a year and love Springsteen I understand the splurge, for example.
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,396
    edited March 1
    pjl44 said:
    MD190661 said:
    It's not necessarily FOMO but often just value. If you only go to a couple shows a year and love Springsteen I understand the splurge, for example.
    Plus, the artists aren't getting younger.   I'm also not great at listening to new music, so 10 years from now my concert budget will probably minimal, and 20 years it'll be zero, so may as well go while I can :)

I maybe go to 1 to 3 big shows, where when I was younger because more of my favorite bands toured, it was 12 a year.  Even though tickets prices are up, I don't think how much I spend in a year has changed much.
  • Options
    SHZASHZA St. Louis, MO USA Posts: 3,511
    MD190661 said:
    Don't think it's going to happen. The highest-priced seats seem to sell first 
  • Options
    Planet of SoundPlanet of Sound UK Posts: 501
    Tom G said:
    Get_Right said:
    Tom G said:
    At best, the guys need to show a little more diligence when allowing Ticketmaster to be the agents for the tour.

At worst, they have sold out and ripped off their own fans in the worst and most ironic way.

Hope it's the former. Even if it's the latter, it's not too late to repent! Refer to Robert Smith/The Cure for how to handle Ticketmaster!

Saw one of these, amazing show.  It helped that he did 21 nights (they all sold out).

Paul Heaton/Jacqui Abbott priced their last UK arena tour with all tickets at £30 in December 2022.

Lots of artists/bands have a whole variety of prices, just depends who you want to see, and then whether you are willing to pay that amount to see them.
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,225
    edited March 1
    pjhawks said:

Try to match where you want to play and figure out who wants to see you more than anyone else. That’s where the majority of shows should be.stop expecting fans to fly to places you like, and in some cases taunt them with hundreds of unsold tickets.

if this was the case they need to play 4 or 5 shows in NYC and Philly if insist on playing indoors.  Really not sure what the solution is for Philly and NY other than play more shows in each city at one time.  Or play the ballparks.  I am still stunned they haven't played Citizens Bank Park in Philly yet.  Now could have been issues with that this year because CBP had at least 3 shows that I know of re-scheduled from last year for this year because of cancellations (2 Springsteen and Morgan Wallen).  And there are only so many dates available in the ballparks because you need about a week of no baseball dates to play shows.

And I actually think it's really cool they play smaller and different places.  It's a great experience to go places you maybe wouldn't normally go to see this band.  Plus in those smaller and/or non-NE places getting 10C tickets can be easier than the Philly and NYC shows. 

Thinking it’s cool to play smaller markets, although a good point, is one of many factors driving up nyc “market rates”

We are so trained to see the issue from their point of view, there are many options that could fit within a two show window. Tier pricing. If their plan is to leave $1000 msg tickets on TM for six months, why did they never attempt to sell any tickets at $300,$400 and all points in between face $180 and $1000? The higher face prices would force fans to put fair value priority on what they are willing to spend instead of jumping right to $1000

Another one, is a silent auction lottery. List a variety of tickets, and club members type in a price not knowing what the winning bid will be. Another, is to have  a losers bracket lottery for fans shut out of every show for a slightly to moderately higher price . There are many things they could try if they have any interest in treating customers fairly instead of heading straight to $1000. 

Instead they have a new lottery system that minimizes chances for New Yorkers without the priority lottery rankings. So I’ve been posting comments like this while reading in the msg winners thread comment after comment of folks from west coast, Canada, wherever, who are spending $180 on tickets and $500 to $1000 on travel to nyc. Thanks PJ. That’s a big driver of these outrageous “market rates”

The current system makes no sense, PJ is creating revenue for airlines and hotels, from their own pocket, while having hundreds of unsold tickets in many markets. These poor business policies have one victim, fans in the NE staring at that$1000 price tag for six months, since Pearl Jam obviously doesn’t care about this money, they are hardly a victim of their own decisions. Unless they are getting a cut from delta and Marriott.

I understand your frustration, but you conveniently don't address any opposing thoughts to your narrative. And your suggestions, while well thought out and with the right intentions.......they aren't really problem solvers. 

I've been trying my entire life to get a MSG ticket. Its hard. Over your 1000s of posts on the issue, you continually say its $180 or $100 or bust. That is not the case and you know it. 

The only tickets under $1000 now are in 200s with views obstructed by the Bridges, with the exception of one single ticket sitting on premium all week for $865.  So if you lose the lottery, for a full view, it’s $1000. I invite you to share other options available now. Please don’t share that someone got a good deal an hour before the show last time. What’s available currently. F2F will not be a NY option.

I’ve been going to shows in NY since the eighties, and the only band … the only band…I’ve had this problem is PJ, because their policies, everything from locking supply into the club at highly deflated prices, guaranteeing premium locations at an 80% discount for a known subset of fans that drives up demand, and many other policies that drive up prices , leads to my comments at the outright misleading language in the tour announcement regarding PJ premium procedures.

Post edited by Lerxst1992 on
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,495
    Tom G said:
    Get_Right said:
    Tom G said:

I saw Prince at the Roundabout around that time (no pun intended). Tix were 149 pounds.
  • Options
    kmcmanuskmcmanus Posts: 675
    edited March 1
    pjhawks said:

The only tickets under $1000 now are in 200s with views obstructed by the Bridges, with the exception of one single ticket sitting on premium all week for $865.  So if you lose the lottery, for a full view, it’s $1000. I invite you to share other options available now. Please don’t share that someone got a good deal an hour before the show last time. What’s available currently. F2F will not be a NY option.

I’ve been going to shows in NY since the eighties, and the only band … the only band…I’ve had this problem is PJ, because their policies, everything from locking supply into the club at highly deflated prices, guaranteeing premium locations at an 80% discount for a known subset of fans that drives up demand, and many other policies that drive up prices , leads to my comments at the outright misleading language in the tour announcement regarding PJ premium procedures.

What’s available now, a week after the onsale, is not any more relevant than what will be available an hour before the show. The relevant time was when the onsale went live.
    if there were no premiums you wouldn’t look and see abundant face value tickets. You’d see a sold out show. The premiums are only still there because no one paid the markup. 
  • Options
    jdopjjdopj Posts: 652
    Having the majority of your tickets restricted from transfer drives up the prices.  It kills the supply side of the secondary market.  The handful of scalpers that know their way around the restrictions have a field day selling tickets for a ton of money without much competition from fans or other scalpers.  You can't fairly compare pricing on the secondary market if you are looking at transfer restricted events vs non restricted events.  It’s not an apples to apples comparison. 
    Many of their ticketing decisions drive up prices. Rewarding senior fans is a good thing (although it does shut out newer fans from the seating process), but selling those prime tickets at a huge discount drives up prices of tickets hitting the “open market” , as does the transfer restriction. 

Keeping tickets artificially low priced (as they’ve told us) and then releasing 10% and letting “market rate” set prices (although their agent limits supply so it is the exact opposite of market rate) it’s a manipulated rate.

Theres a reason their tickets on TM and broker sites are far and behind everyone’s prices not named Taylor. Their policies drive up prices hitting the “market.”

and are they ever going to explain why so many in the lottery did so well for the NE indoor shows? Doubtful. 

Except they are no longer giving the senior members all the good seats.
  • Options
    MD190661MD190661 Posts: 394
    pjl44 said:
    MD190661 said:
    The value just isn't there for me. I've seen PJ 20 times and Bruce 10 times. That's plenty. I'd rather (and do) see new music and jazz shows for a fraction of the cost. I splurged for my daughter to see Taylor Swift, but I didn't have to buy from scalpers and still paid more than I've ever paid to see anybody. I did get GA for PJ, so I'll go again, but I wouldn't bother if I had to sit in the back of the arena.
    10/1/94, 6/22/95, 6/24/95, 9/16/96, 7/22/98, 10/21/01, 6/1/03, 10/25/03, 10/26/03, 9/1/05, 7/15/06, 7/18/06, 8/28/09, 10/07/09, 10/3/12, 11/26/13, 6/18/18, 8/10/18, 5/12/22, 5/13/22, 5/13/24, 5/25/24

• Options
    HK103094HK103094 Posts: 30
    edited March 2
    Zod said:

Pearl Jam seems to have met this drop off point in Europe. Even if the European leg is short, it is hard to understand the pricing of their tickets. It can´t be that their costs are so much higher than other acts. It is not like they have an expensive production. I took a quick look at other artists playing in Berlin this year, and Pearl Jam´s tickets are in a league of their own. 

Green day: 110 Euro
    Smashing Pumpkins + Interpol: 82 Euro
    the 1975s: 70 Euro
    James Blunt: 57 Euro
    Simple Minds: 60 Euro
    Thirty seconds to mars: 60 Euro
    Nicky Minaj: 83 Euro
    Justin Timberlake: 66 Euro
    Cigerettes after sex: 54 Euro
    Queens of the stone age: 70 Euro

These are the probably the cheapest tickets available, but tells a story about the price level Europeans are used to paying for seeing a concert.

Some other examples:
    You could get a the Cure ticket in Berlin in 2022 for as low as 47 Euro.
    Pearl Jam tickets in 2022 (free seating) bought in December 2019 was around 100 Euro (which was already expensive).
    I saw Placebo in Hamburg in 2022 and the price was 57 Euro. Their GA tickets in Bristol this summer is 45 Pound.
    Madrugada in Hamburg last year was 57 Euro.

Why they did not understand the damage their pricing would do to their reputation (given their politcal values and image), is nothing short of mindblowing.
    Post edited by HK103094 on
    2000 Oslo
    2007 Venezia
    2010 London
    2012 Oslo
    2014 Milano
    2018 Milano
    2018 Krakow
    2019 Barolo (Ed)
    2022 Berlin
    2022 Frankfurt
    2022 Krakow

• Options
    Zen23Zen23 Posts: 400
    edited March 2
    The seat tickets in the presale for Green Day in the GelreDome in Arnhem cost around 60 to 70 euros. Good seats. To the side of the stage. That's partly a third of what Pearl Jam charges. This is out of all proportion.
    Post edited by Zen23 on
  • Options
    dr_rockdr_rock Posts: 6
    HK103094 said:
    Zod said:

Pearl Jam seems to have met this drop off point in Europe. Even if the European leg is short, it is hard to understand the pricing of their tickets. It can´t be that their costs are so much higher than other acts. It is not like they have an expensive production. I took a quick look at other artists playing in Berlin this year, and Pearl Jam´s tickets are in a league of their own. 

Green day: 110 Euro
    Smashing Pumpkins + Interpol: 82 Euro
    the 1975s: 70 Euro
    James Blunt: 57 Euro
    Simple Minds: 60 Euro
    Thirty seconds to mars: 60 Euro
    Nicky Minaj: 83 Euro
    Justin Timberlake: 66 Euro
    Cigerettes after sex: 54 Euro

These are the probably the cheapest tickets available, but tells a story about the price level Europeans are used to paying for seeing a concert.

Some other examples:
    You could get a the Cure ticket in Berlin in 2022 for as low as 47 Euro.
    Pearl Jam tickets in 2022 (free seating) bought in December 2019 was around 100 Euro (which was already expensive).
    I saw Placebo in Hamburg in 2022 and the price was 57 Euro. Their GA tickets in Bristol this summer is 45 Pound.
    Madrugada in Hamburg last year was 57 Euro.

Why they did not understand the damage their pricing would do to their reputation (given their politcal values and image), is nothing short of mindblowing.
    Springsteen in Prague 108 € (golden Circle)
    Dave Matthews Band in Vienna 70 € (GA)
    Smashing Pumpkins/Interpol Vienna 105€ (golden Circle)
    Metallica in Austria 150 € (GA)
    AC/DC Vienna 171 € (golden Circle)
    Pixies in Prague 46 € (GA)
    Nova Rock Austria  4days(Green Day, Billy Talent, jane’s addiction, sum 41, avenged sevenfold, Alice Cooper,…) 350 € (VIP)
    Gaslight Anthem Vienna 52 € (GA)

• Options
    edited March 2
    kmcmanus said:
    pjhawks said:

What’s available now, a week after the onsale, is not any more relevant than what will be available an hour before the show. The relevant time was when the onsale went live.
    if there were no premiums you wouldn’t look and see abundant face value tickets. You’d see a sold out show. The premiums are only still there because no one paid the markup. 

That is simply not true. 24 hrs before is the best time to score tix to a sold out show. And I wish people would stop mentioning the Cure, they are outliers.
  • Options
    EddieredderEddieredder Posts: 739
    edited March 2
    pjhawks said:

Oh so it has to be within your personal seating preference to count towards your narrative? Thats pretty convenient!

I hate premium pricing as much as the next guy, but none of your suggestions really address that. Nor does tiered pricing. Silent auction? 

Want a NY only lottery. Go ahead and push that. There will be no backlash there. Totally fair to the non NY residents. LOL. BTW that still doesn't solve anything. The same resale and premium would still exist. The difference is just more NY fans have tix (in theory). You could easily argue that this would drive up prices even more. 

"guaranteeing premium locations at an 80% discount for a known subset of fans that drives up demand"

Are you suggesting they get rid of the fan club tix? Raise the price for fan club tix?
    Post edited by Eddieredder on
  • Options
    edited March 2
    pjhawks said:

Oh so it has to be within your personal seating preference to count towards your narrative? Thats pretty convenient!

I hate premium pricing as much as the next guy, but none of your suggestions really address that. Nor does tiered pricing. Silent auction? 

Want a NY only lottery. Go ahead and push that. There will be no backlash there. Totally fair to the non NY residents. LOL. BTW that still doesn't solve anything. The same resale and premium would still exist. The difference is just more NY fans have tix (in theory). You could easily argue that this would drive up prices even more. 

"guaranteeing premium locations at an 80% discount for a known subset of fans that drives up demand"

Are you suggesting they get rid of the fan club tix? Raise the price for fan club tix?

obstructed view is not a seating preference. It’s a desire to actually see the show. Come on, be realistic. As for the rest of that, I’ve suggested none of it. Perhaps limit legacy tickets to two or four per tour. As it stands now they are providing discounts of thousands of dollars per member  per tour, and that has an obvious impact on tickets hitting premium sales and broker sites, on a macro economic level.

. Comments like “ The same resale and premium would still exist. ” are easy to prove false, but it’s time we give up, you have your views, enjoy the tour.

Post edited by Lerxst1992 on
  • Options
    bicyclejoebicyclejoe USA Posts: 1,200
    Zod said:
    pjl44 said:
    MD190661 said:
    Plus, the artists aren't getting younger.   I'm also not great at listening to new music, so 10 years from now my concert budget will probably minimal, and 20 years it'll be zero, so may as well go while I can :)

I maybe go to 1 to 3 big shows, where when I was younger because more of my favorite bands toured, it was 12 a year.  Even though tickets prices are up, I don't think how much I spend in a year has changed much.
    I’m moving to zero. I’m at minimal right now. I spent most of concert budget for the year on U2 at The Sphere (worth every penny), but I Pearl Jam isn’t U2 and I can’t see myself paying this premium for a Pearl Jam show in 2024. I figure I’ve seen them enough by now.
    My Pearl Jam Road: 10/22/90 Seattle | 12/22/90 Seattle, Moore Theater | 9/29/92 Seattle, Magnusson Park, Drop in the Park | 9/5/93 The Gorge, with Neil Young and Blind Melon | 7/20/06 Portland, Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall with Sleater-Kinney | 7/22/06 The Gorge, 10/21/06 Mountain View, Shoreline Ampitheatre, Bridge School Benefit | 9/21/09 Seattle | 9/22/09 Seattle | 9/26/09 Portland, OR | 7/14/2011 Eddie Vedder, Portland, OR | 11/29/13 Portland, OR
  • Options
    Tickets for prime seats on stubhub were $1000+++ when priority was in place. Tiers, limits, etc. do not change the fact that some people get 10C tix and some people get none. Especially in NYC, it is that simple no matter the policies. Statistics are malleable, you can make them say whatever you want.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,450
    I wonder if the band reads or knows about the disgruntled fans or even care anymore! Or maybe they don’t have a clue on what’s happening with this issue 🤔
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,749

THEY'VE been electrifying rock fans with their high voltage riffs for 50 years.

But for some die-hard AC/DC supporters, the ticketing costs for their upcoming stadium gigs have been a big turn off.

Main standing tickets for the band's Wembley show on July 3 are currently setting fans back £302.85 on Ticketmaster, while official platinum tickets are an eye-watering £381.80.

The site says: "The Event Organiser has priced these tickets according to their market value. Tickets do not include VIP packages. Availability and pricing are subject to change."

Evidently, there are still many thousands out there with pockets deep enough to afford the pricey entry fees as both dates are almost sold out, but the price hikes in recent years are spiralling out of control.

One fan complained: "Ticket price inflation is insane, way beyond anything else I can think of. I get that records aren't selling any more and this is the way that bands make money but I've been feeling the need to draw the line for a few years now, this is the time I've finally done it, I'm not prepared to pay these prices any longer."

Another joked: "In other news anyone want to buy a kidney so I can see ACDC."

• Options
    Foriginal SinForiginal Sin Scottsdale, AZ Posts: 1,759
    edited March 2
    I remember when a dime bag only cost a dime.

The price of the ticket is the price of the ticket. Not sure what’s happened in Europe but minimum wage in the U.S. has tripled since 1995. If you got a $40 ticket back then at Min Wage it was basically an 8 hour shift without taking out taxes. Tickets are $200 now or $25/hour of work in an 8 hour day. Most PJ fans are post 40 I assume and if you aren’t making at least $25/hour you’ve probably made a lot of poor career choices. The band has to pay a crew and it ain’t the same pay rate as it was in 1995 either. There are a lot of things I would love to do but cannot afford, I’m not going to Bora Bora’s message board to complain about how expensive it costs to get there 
    Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16
  • Options
    HaijayHaijay Posts: 353
    Get_Right said:
    SHZA said:
    Barcelona looks pretty bad. Of the US shows, LA Forum has the most unsold uppers. Making out just fine is not the same as forecasting actual revenue with laser-like precision. In any event, the subsidization point is that the revenue realized by dynamic/premium pricing has the effect of reducing the revenue that needs to be realized from the remaining tickets to reach the minimum revenue number, and in that sense "subsidizes" the standard tickets. 

As I said, it's a range. And I am surprised they went back to Cali after the poor sales last time around. And we can agree to disagree on the subsidy, one has nothing to do with the other, they are separate, one is a finite number while one is not.
    All the Cali shows were sold right out in 2020, then cancelled. 2022 came along and yes, there were a lot of fan to fan on Ticketmaster for both La’s and Oakland’s leading up to the shows, but they were packed out just fine. I can personally attest for both the La’s. I saw maybe 30 seats behind the stage that were empty on one of the nights. And you can see on Youtube that San Diego was full, save for a few empty here and there. But, nope, people on here just HAVE to keep saying “since Cali sales were so bad”, and “after what happened in Cali in 2022”. Fake News, lololol,  
  • Options
    Price controls have upwards impact on all prices not under control. That's economics, not my opinion.
  • Options
    There are no price controls. There are 20k seats and there is a revenue calculation based on the number of seats. It is accounting. It is not that complicated.