Options

Ticket prices. This is not for you (the fans).

Comments

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,637
    PJ_Soul said:
    JPPJ84 said:
    These prices may be the norm in the US. As loads of other people have pointed out, you can’t compare the US to Europe so I still think tickets are overpriced here.
     I also paid 10$ for an ice cream in NYC that would’ve cost me 3€ in Germany so there’s that.
    Agreed. Totally correct Americans can't seem to grasp this. I hope the shows don't sell . 
    I think they grasp it - they aren't stupid. What I think is more going on is that America is probably the most brutally capitalistic country in the world (no offense meant), so the citizens therefore tend to be more accepting of or used to this kind of thing.

Yeah Im not calling anyone stupid at all.  It's just not the same here. 
    COVID allowed companies to jack up their prices during the window when there were shortages, and of course once prices go up, they aren’t coming back down.  
  • Options
    smile6680smile6680 Posts: 355
    KN219077 said:
    $175 for a pit ticket in Missoula was considerably cheaper than seats for tyler childers the same week. Pearl Jam is still probably under their market value on pricing. That said, I make a normal middle income with a family of five and in the past year have had to think alot harder about luxury purchases like concert tickets and eating out. 
    Tyler Childers tickets at face value have been way cheaper than 175$. I've seen him twice in the last six months. They were about 70$ with fees. bought them through ticket master fanclub presale. 

Fan Club has a free option, which I use.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    JPPJ84 said:
    These prices may be the norm in the US. As loads of other people have pointed out, you can’t compare the US to Europe so I still think tickets are overpriced here.
     I also paid 10$ for an ice cream in NYC that would’ve cost me 3€ in Germany so there’s that.
    Agreed. Totally correct Americans can't seem to grasp this. I hope the shows don't sell . 
    I think they grasp it - they aren't stupid. What I think is more going on is that America is probably the most brutally capitalistic country in the world (no offense meant), so the citizens therefore tend to be more accepting of or used to this kind of thing.

Yup - capitalism = good. Make more money go to more pearl jam shows. It maths out.

That being said it appears they overpriced for Europe based on GDP and average incomes in those countries...however...

Problem is the cost of doing the tour overseas might be more in line with US costs or even higher due to international insurance/travel.. so ...what if the choice is PJ at high prices or PJ never goes to EU again?  What would you choose?

The solution would be for the band to play more shows, but they play the bare minimum. 
    They play too few shows spread very far apart. This is definately part of the problem with the ticket costs.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,995
    Having the majority of your tickets restricted from transfer drives up the prices.  It kills the supply side of the secondary market.  The handful of scalpers that know their way around the restrictions have a field day selling tickets for a ton of money without much competition from fans or other scalpers.  You can't fairly compare pricing on the secondary market if you are looking at transfer restricted events vs non restricted events.  It’s not an apples to apples comparison. 
    Many of their ticketing decisions drive up prices. Rewarding senior fans is a good thing (although it does shut out newer fans from the seating process), but selling those prime tickets at a huge discount drives up prices of tickets hitting the “open market” , as does the transfer restriction. 

Keeping tickets artificially low priced (as they’ve told us) and then releasing 10% and letting “market rate” set prices (although their agent limits supply so it is the exact opposite of market rate) it’s a manipulated rate.

Theres a reason their tickets on TM and broker sites are far and behind everyone’s prices not named Taylor. Their policies drive up prices hitting the “market.”

and are they ever going to explain why so many in the lottery did so well for the NE indoor shows? Doubtful. 

I don't disagree with any of this.  Phish just announced another summer tour, 3 shows at Mansfield, 3 shows at Deer creek, 3 shows at Alpine Valley, etc.  Ticket pricing way cheaper, it can be done..

I wish I could get into Phish. Love the way they tour. The music just doesn't grab me.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    1STmammal2wearPants1STmammal2wearPants Worcester, MA Posts: 2,854
    JimmyV said:
    Having the majority of your tickets restricted from transfer drives up the prices.  It kills the supply side of the secondary market.  The handful of scalpers that know their way around the restrictions have a field day selling tickets for a ton of money without much competition from fans or other scalpers.  You can't fairly compare pricing on the secondary market if you are looking at transfer restricted events vs non restricted events.  It’s not an apples to apples comparison. 
    Many of their ticketing decisions drive up prices. Rewarding senior fans is a good thing (although it does shut out newer fans from the seating process), but selling those prime tickets at a huge discount drives up prices of tickets hitting the “open market” , as does the transfer restriction. 

Keeping tickets artificially low priced (as they’ve told us) and then releasing 10% and letting “market rate” set prices (although their agent limits supply so it is the exact opposite of market rate) it’s a manipulated rate.

Theres a reason their tickets on TM and broker sites are far and behind everyone’s prices not named Taylor. Their policies drive up prices hitting the “market.”

and are they ever going to explain why so many in the lottery did so well for the NE indoor shows? Doubtful. 

I don't disagree with any of this.  Phish just announced another summer tour, 3 shows at Mansfield, 3 shows at Deer creek, 3 shows at Alpine Valley, etc.  Ticket pricing way cheaper, it can be done..

I wish I could get into Phish. Love the way they tour. The music just doesn't grab me.
    Great music (Trey is an amazing guitarist) ruined by silly/ridiculous lyrics for me. They are quite the touring act though, for sure....
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Boston I, Boston II 
    2018 Boston I, Boston II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 Boston I, Boston II
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,225
    edited February 28
    JD87070 said:
    "Pearl Jam has ticket policies that limit supply and increase demand. It is obvious their ticket policies drive up prices on the broker sites, which drove up PJPrem."

Thats totally fair. But what would you propose as a solution? Its clearly pretty complicated.

I guarantee having tix be $250 each (or more) with no premium wouldn't be welcomed with open arms. Nor would $500 pit tix. Tiered pricing = more profit on cheaper seats. Its complicated. 

I think you quoted me there lol. I put out a list earlier of all top acts per seat geek, and the PJ prices exceeded everyone else. The only artist I could find recently with higher broker prices is Taylor. She’s a little bit more popular , no?

All the following impacts broker prices which then is justification for increases to PJ premium. This is market manipulation, not market value

When PJ decides that half the venue (floor and lower levels) will sell for face, but way below fair value, that drives up prices by reducing supply and increases the need for PJ PREM.

When PJ decides that seniors are guaranteed (as a block unit, members will vary) 80% discount off fair value on prime seat locations for an unlimited number of shows, that drives up demand, since the band (and buyers of upper level seats) are subsidizing the purchase. Seniors will put in for many more shows with these “significantly discounted tickets” which then drives down supply, which drives up prices 

PJ decided for NY and Philly to not offer rear stage seating (Seattle did have tickets available) at the verified  onsale time, significantly hurting fans with verified codes.

for some reason, many fans apparently scored tickets for three or four NE indoor shows. Based on PJ Premium prices, the odds per show seems to be about ten percent, so hitting all four is about one in ten thousand. Some have offered that there was a single draw based in the new rules, so a good lottery number gets fans an unlimited deluge of tickets, taking supply away from everyone else.

there’s more problems with their unique system, I’ll stop there…

ok, to your question, what to do…

the closest seats are the ones that should have premium prices. Face value of many more tickets should be somewhat commensurate with actual value. There’s a reason every other band does it differently 

so how so we take care of seniors? Perhaps limit the “80% off” premium tickets to one set per tour. 

Have the lottery results limited to winning one show until all entries have at least one winning show if possible. Once that happens, then allow for multiple winners. Some in high demand markets will not win but their chances will be greatly increased 

have tier pricing, sell tickets like all the other acts do 300…250…200…150…100; each category is a bucket in the lottery. This forces fans to place a dollar value on the experience, which is a million times fairer than the current disaste

Try to match where you want to play and figure out who wants to see you more than anyone else. That’s where the majority of shows should be.stop expecting fans to fly to places you like, and in some cases taunt them with hundreds of unsold tickets.

release all the premium tickets at once. What they do now by releasing a few at a time is creating desperation and manipulation in the market place. They told us ten percent will be PJPrem, so be fair and release them all at once. Let a true market decide the price. If they sit unsold for days,DROP THE PRICES.  They Told us these would be sold at market prices so if they don’t sell for a few days, drop the prices, 

Perhaps have a second chance silent auction for those who completely lost the lottery. Put out a list of the same locations that are PJ Premium, and instead of manipulating fans, let them  bid on specific ticket locations 
    Some good points here, but one thing you’re overlooking is, the only shows where resale is allowed is MSG and Wrigley, everywhere else on this tour is F2F only. So since the resellers are limited on their options for this tour, the tickets they can get their hands on are priced as such. That has nothing to do with the band.
    And as far as where they play, as much as i would love for them to vary their touring more, they’ve earned the right over the decades to play where they want. As much as it sucks for those of us in markets they don’t visit, that’s the reality.

. Check out Vivid seats, there are plenty of broker tickets out there . The band maximizes a guaranteed 80% discount for a certain segment of its fan base for the best seats. This drives up prices for those of us who are never entitled to this huge discount.

There is a reason their tickets on the secondary Market are so expensive, more expensive than any artist other than Taylor swift. Yes in past years they didn't tour as much and we  attributed the high resale prices to that, but this year they're playing plenty of dates and the broker prices are worse than ever. And there are plenty tickets for Philadelphia Baltimore and Fenway on the broker sites.

These prices have everything to do with decisions the band makes about its tickets.

also not matching Supply with demand when choosing a tour itinerary, that also drives up prices. They must make seven or eight decisions about their tour and their ticket policies, all of which drive up prices for the Unfortunate Souls that don't win a 10% chance lottery

I am not saying whether or not it's their right, I'm just commenting on the policies and decisions and the impact those have on prices
    Sure. But having tiered pricing doesn't change the demand. It might just change the profit from the reseller. If they can resell a $175 ticket for $1000 at MSG, they can certainly sell a $50-100 ticket for the same. If a pit ticket retails for $500-600 and they sell out.....why wouldn't you be able to resell for $1000+? 

Having higher prices could easily equal higher premium and resale. See Taylor Swift. 

Are you saying you want higher prices for fan club/base retail tix?

I also don't have the answers for any of this. But I can see it both ways. 

Taylor is the only artist with higher broker prices. Even the Stones have lower prices than PJ NE,  and they a much larger fanbase. 

Tiered pricing would restrict demand to specific pricing, which would create a fairer market and reduce the extreme upward pressure on prices that Pearl Jam’s unique ticketing policy has. It’s also clear selling 5000 legacy tickets in prime locations for a fraction of FMV has an upward pressure on any tickets that hit the open market including PJPREMIUM 

They just released more PJ Premium at MSG, for about $100 more than they were on Friday. They are creating desperation in the market. Instead of releasing the 10% of premium tickets at once, they artificially limit supply to boost premium prices.

the entire process of how they price tickets puts upward pressure on the 90% of fans wanting tickets to the NE indoor shows that did not win the lottery. A tiered price system would give fans a chance to spend 180, 250, 350, 450 etc for the 90% who lose the lottery.

Go to the supermarket now and all they have to eat is one loaf of bread. How much would that be priced at?

right now the choice for New Yorkers is $180 or $1000, and PJs policies drive up the $1000. It’s the worst ticketing policy in rock, by a mile.

Stones retail prices dwarf PJs base price, and they are playing stadiums. 

The demand for the remaining tix after fan club, + multiple other alottments would be the same IMO. Its still 2k-4k tix available to the public. That number doesn't change. Tiered pricing doesn't change the appetite of those who want to go. Tiered pricing doesn't change the fact that only 10-20% of the capacity is available. Those would sell out regardless.

The price of bread would be the retail price. The guy selling out of the back of his car in the parking lot would still be priced at a premium. 

I totally agree with you about releasing premium in tiers. That does create demand. Pretty sure that isn't a band request. Thats a TM thing.

Your choice right now for New Yorkers is $180 f2f, premium, or 3rd party reseller. If there were tiered pricing (which would still sell out), and no premium. Then your options would be $180 f2f and 3rd party reseller. A quick check of Stubhub shows that it isn't as black and white as $180 or $1000. There are plenty of listings in between. 

Its an alogorithm. If the demand remains the same the pricing wouldn't change.

I ask again. Are you saying you want higher priced fan club tix? Are you saying you want more in the secondary market?

Higher base prices could absolutely change things. It could also be the same. But then that opens a completely different can of worms.

I think tiered pricing is the fairest way to sell tickets, with a range of $100 to perhaps $375 actual face. Fan club and verified fan. Do that and do premium. Any other act with $375 GA, tickets are easier to get than PJ uppers. Except Taylor 

The current system puts upward pressure on prices. I’ve said that alot on the forum recently, sorry not specifically to your comment

I could get met life for stones for under $500, lower level on the sides. I could live with that. Its been ten years since I could get lower level PJ tix for that price in NY.

PJ tickets, unless you are touching the ceiling with a blocked view at MSG are a thousand dollars. F2F tickets are rare, if they ever appear for a second.

This ticketing system is so manipulated. Not only do never release that 10% of inventory at once to create a market rate, but all the prices are essentially static. It’s either $180 face with a 5% chance or $1000 premium/broker. $920 to sit far from stage lowers and $1020 a couple sections over. No uppers for $600, nothing in any other price categories, no variability, no true market, no supply and demand. Despite being promised a “market rate.”

They and only they are responsible for the conditions that punish their NY fans tour after tour.

Post edited by Lerxst1992 on
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,498
    TM has been holding back tickets in the NYC market since the 90s. The number of "holds" for NYC shows has always been much more than people believe. Back then it was a backdoor hustle to provide resellers/scalpers with tickets. Now, thanks to technology, it is much more transparent. It is a blatant fleecing of the consumer. And the high prices for MSG are nothing new. 2010 was the first and only time I bought through stubhub for Pearl Jam at MSG and the cheapest single the day before the show was $500 for a single seat in the 200s at the back of the arena (not rear view but all the way straight back). So 14 years later it is not surprising that same ticket might be $800. And as I said, there is no free market involved it is TM's monopoly that is causing the current pricing situation. If TM is charging $1,000, then stubhub can easily ask $800. Yes the band is complicit, but it is hard for a band to say no to more money.
  • Options
    EddieredderEddieredder Posts: 739
    edited February 29
    There are NY tix on stubhub and seat geek for varying prices. $400, $500, $600 etc. It sucks.....but its not $180 or $1000 with nothing in between. Thats simply not true. 
    Post edited by Eddieredder on
  • Options
    kaw753kaw753 Posts: 767
    If you want to know whose fans have it rough, go take a look at Andrea Bocelli tickets. I was thinking I would get a pair for my parents, but I don't love them that much.
  • Options
    dannydanny Posts: 2,274
    kings of leon are playing uk tickets are £90 quid with booking fee indoor venue pearl jam £162 indoor it is shocking
    danny d
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,601
    All people can do is not pay it .
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,850
    I saw an advert for slipknot tickets at Leeds arena for this December yesterday.

intrigued I took a look at the prices. 

So they were £230 for floor standing (but you get early access with this ticket and a really limited lanyard that Im sure everyone gets)

£247 for seats towards the back - but you get a lanyard that don't forget is super limited, AND early access to merch - and an undisclosed merch item

£497 for premium seats in the first tear - with a super limited lanyard don't forget, early access to merch AND Two free drinks. 

I appreciate this is all likely part of the packages they sell, and TM's dynamic pricing and whilst I do like seeing Slipknot live, I know where id rather be this year

I saw the dynamic pricing on Green Day too in manchester - holy shit. Someone MUST be paying those prices. 
  • Options
    JT167846JT167846 Posts: 859
    Going to gigs is fast becoming a pastime of the 1 percenters-part of me is almost glad my favourite bands are winding down as they age because I can barely afford gigs where I am. And I'm not skint. Though the winding down is a big reason I think prices are so high. You get closer to a band's end date and get hella FOMO. Being one of those grumpy old custards that call today's music crap and only listen to the music of their time gets more appealing! 
    Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,850
    JT167846 said:
    Going to gigs is fast becoming a pastime of the 1 percenters-part of me is almost glad my favourite bands are winding down as they age because I can barely afford gigs where I am. And I'm not skint. Though the winding down is a big reason I think prices are so high. You get closer to a band's end date and get hella FOMO. Being one of those grumpy old custards that call today's music crap and only listen to the music of their time gets more appealing! 
    I recognise some of that grumpiness in myself ;)
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,042
    pjhawks said:

Try to match where you want to play and figure out who wants to see you more than anyone else. That’s where the majority of shows should be.stop expecting fans to fly to places you like, and in some cases taunt them with hundreds of unsold tickets.

if this was the case they need to play 4 or 5 shows in NYC and Philly if insist on playing indoors.  Really not sure what the solution is for Philly and NY other than play more shows in each city at one time.  Or play the ballparks.  I am still stunned they haven't played Citizens Bank Park in Philly yet.  Now could have been issues with that this year because CBP had at least 3 shows that I know of re-scheduled from last year for this year because of cancellations (2 Springsteen and Morgan Wallen).  And there are only so many dates available in the ballparks because you need about a week of no baseball dates to play shows.

And I actually think it's really cool they play smaller and different places.  It's a great experience to go places you maybe wouldn't normally go to see this band.  Plus in those smaller and/or non-NE places getting 10C tickets can be easier than the Philly and NYC shows. 
    This is the struggle for me. I can pay the 10c ticket prices. But it’s getting harder to justify the travel each year.
    10 years ago with no kids it was fun. Now a 3 or 4 day trip that’s going to cost $1000 or more in travel. Do I want our vacation budget and days off spent on me seeing shows, or time with my kids?
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    pjhawks said:

if this was the case they need to play 4 or 5 shows in NYC and Philly if insist on playing indoors.  Really not sure what the solution is for Philly and NY other than play more shows in each city at one time.  Or play the ballparks.  I am still stunned they haven't played Citizens Bank Park in Philly yet.  Now could have been issues with that this year because CBP had at least 3 shows that I know of re-scheduled from last year for this year because of cancellations (2 Springsteen and Morgan Wallen).  And there are only so many dates available in the ballparks because you need about a week of no baseball dates to play shows.

And I actually think it's really cool they play smaller and different places.  It's a great experience to go places you maybe wouldn't normally go to see this band.  Plus in those smaller and/or non-NE places getting 10C tickets can be easier than the Philly and NYC shows. 
    This is the struggle for me. I can pay the 10c ticket prices. But it’s getting harder to justify the travel each year.
    10 years ago with no kids it was fun. Now a 3 or 4 day trip that’s going to cost $1000 or more in travel. Do I want our vacation budget and days off spent on me seeing shows, or time with my kids?
    This is very much similar to my situation. Spending time with the family on vacation is more important. 
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    pjhawks said:

Kids definitely put a damper on all personal pursuits, including hobbies and travel without them.  Find a way to get to a show, you do not need to go multiple nights. Even if you have to drive 10 hours and stay at a cheap hotel (bring a sleeping bag and your own pillows). It will help your personal disposition when you get back home to deal with everything a busy family requires. I have done this and it makes me feel more normal when I get back home. You can do it on the cheap.
  • Options
    JE224127JE224127 Fairhope, AL Posts: 342
    I also struggled with traveling to see PJ when my kids were younger. When my son turned 13 in 2022, I told my wife it was time to take him with me. I don't hunt or play golf so this is my thing that I do and my wife has been a good sport about it. I will never pay PJ premium prices but I will also not miss a tour for a couple of reasons. Not sure how long the boys will continue to play and this has now become a father/son trip that we look forward to each tour. Baltimore will mark my sons third show in 3 years (Nashvegas 2022, DFW 2023). I will still try to squeeze in another show with my original PJ tour buddies if it works out.
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,042
    edited March 1
    Get_Right said:
    mace1229 said:
    pjhawks said:

Kids definitely put a damper on all personal pursuits, including hobbies and travel without them.  Find a way to get to a show, you do not need to go multiple nights. Even if you have to drive 10 hours and stay at a cheap hotel (bring a sleeping bag and your own pillows). It will help your personal disposition when you get back home to deal with everything a busy family requires. I have done this and it makes me feel more normal when I get back home. You can do it on the cheap.
    Yeah, closest show is an 8 hour drive. We were going to try and make a family trip out of it, but decided not to. I have no interest in doing that by myself. Driving 8 hours, sleeping in a car, going to the show, driving back 8 hours. That’s a lot of driving and an entire weekend leaving the wife with the kids. I don’t think anyone comes ahead in this scenario.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,154
    mace1229 said:
    pjhawks said:

Yup the cost is a lot more due to the need to travel.  BUt I try to mix it in.  This year I'll go to Vegas with my daughter (we did St Paul last time).  My wife and daughter going to Indy with me.  And I'll meet a friend in NYC and go there.  Was supposed to meet friends in Chicago and whole family go to Saturday but didn;t get 10C tix so made other plans.

So I spend a lot...but I do it with my family or as a reason to meet up with friends.  I debated Sacramento this year but it ended up that it would have been solo so switched to Vegas on a Saturday.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,396
    mace1229 said:
    pjhawks said:

I don't have kids, but the travel makes a bigger impact on me too.   3 nights in Vancouver to be able to go to 2 shows.  Tickets: 416/pair.  Hotel: $1000 (after tax) for 3 nights.  Plus if shows fall in the week you start burning vacation days.

The concert tickets prices are probably the least painful cost of going to a show.    It's definitely made me slow down in my concert going.
  • Options
    Get_Right said:
    TM has been holding back tickets in the NYC market since the 90s. The number of "holds" for NYC shows has always been much more than people believe. Back then it was a backdoor hustle to provide resellers/scalpers with tickets. Now, thanks to technology, it is much more transparent. It is a blatant fleecing of the consumer. And the high prices for MSG are nothing new. 2010 was the first and only time I bought through stubhub for Pearl Jam at MSG and the cheapest single the day before the show was $500 for a single seat in the 200s at the back of the arena (not rear view but all the way straight back). So 14 years later it is not surprising that same ticket might be $800. And as I said, there is no free market involved it is TM's monopoly that is causing the current pricing situation. If TM is charging $1,000, then stubhub can easily ask $800. Yes the band is complicit, but it is hard for a band to say no to more money.

Yes, this has occurred often in the past. But their claims to fans is personally what I am disputing.

The band is trying to appear reasonable with their fans, that is what is new here. “Hey we are releasing ten percent of inventory at market rate.” What is being done is only a tiny fraction of that ten percent is being offered at any particular time, and since they are not being sold for days, their listed prices are well above market rates. Also, they don’t sell any uppers for less than the $1000 typical premium ticket, so they are making zero attempt to establish a market rate. They are only interested in creating desperation from the fans.

That is my specific complaint, what Pearl Jam is claiming in their tour release is a complete fabrication of truth. Combined with all their restrictive ticket policies driving up prices this is closer to pig butchering than market rate. Words matter. Integrity matters. Especially in a market where fans get screwed over and their new lottery rules made it even more difficult to get $180 tickets for msg.
  • Options
    Get_Right said:

Yes, this has occurred often in the past. But their claims to fans is personally what I am disputing.

The band is trying to appear reasonable with their fans, that is what is new here. “Hey we are releasing ten percent of inventory at market rate.” What is being done is only a tiny fraction of that ten percent is being offered at any particular time, and since they are not being sold for days, their listed prices are well above market rates. Also, they don’t sell any uppers for less than the $1000 typical premium ticket, so they are making zero attempt to establish a market rate. They are only interested in creating desperation from the fans.

That is my specific complaint, what Pearl Jam is claiming in their tour release is a complete fabrication of truth. Combined with all their restrictive ticket policies driving up prices this is closer to pig butchering than market rate. Words matter. Integrity matters. Especially in a market where fans get screwed over and their new lottery rules made it even more difficult to get $180 tickets for msg.

Have you ever developed marketing materials? That is all this is. Corporate speak and it is what it is. And MSG has been a crapshoot since 2003. The new rules have not changed that.  The TM marketing and the word that PJ is a show to see is probably more responsible.
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

Thinking it’s cool to play smaller markets, although a good point, is one of many factors driving up nyc “market rates”

We are so trained to see the issue from their point of view, there are many options that could fit within a two show window. Tier pricing. If their plan is to leave $1000 msg tickets on TM for six months, why did they never attempt to sell any tickets at $300,$400 and all points in between face $180 and $1000? The higher face prices would force fans to put fair value priority on what they are willing to spend instead of jumping right to $1000

Another one, is a silent auction lottery. List a variety of tickets, and club members type in a price not knowing what the winning bid will be. Another, is to have  a losers bracket lottery for fans shut out of every show for a slightly to moderately higher price . There are many things they could try if they have any interest in treating customers fairly instead of heading straight to $1000. 

Instead they have a new lottery system that minimizes chances for New Yorkers without the priority lottery rankings. So I’ve been posting comments like this while reading in the msg winners thread comment after comment of folks from west coast, Canada, wherever, who are spending $180 on tickets and $500 to $1000 on travel to nyc. Thanks PJ. That’s a big driver of these outrageous “market rates”

The current system makes no sense, PJ is creating revenue for airlines and hotels, from their own pocket, while having hundreds of unsold tickets in many markets. These poor business policies have one victim, fans in the NE staring at that$1000 price tag for six months, since Pearl Jam obviously doesn’t care about this money, they are hardly a victim of their own decisions. Unless they are getting a cut from delta and Marriott.
  • Options
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:

Have you ever developed marketing materials? That is all this is. Corporate speak and it is what it is. And MSG has been a crapshoot since 2003. The new rules have not changed that.  The TM marketing and the word that PJ is a show to see is probably more responsible.

Wow. We are so trained to defend them. They decided to put their name on the premium prices, and I am holding them to their word on their tour release, you don’t have to! 

To me, words matter, especially as something that is supposed to be of utmost importance to the band, since they intervene in ticket supply and price dynamics more than any other artist. And the result is the highest resale prices for an artist not named swift. To many it seems their words are nothing more than big corporate talk . We’ve come a long way since 1991 baby!
  • Options
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:

Wow. We are so trained to defend them. They decided to put their name on the premium prices, and I am holding them to their word on their tour release, you don’t have to! 

To me, words matter, especially as something that is supposed to be of utmost importance to the band, since they intervene in ticket supply and price dynamics more than any other artist. And the result is the highest resale prices for an artist not named swift. To many it seems their words are nothing more than big corporate talk . We’ve come a long way since 1991 baby!

Not trained to defend them, but I do give them somewhat of a benefit of the doubt. While understanding how the monopoly has fucking crushed the consumer, and the band in some ways. Words may matter, but you are not going to lose 25 pounds buying that diet pill. They do more than many artists, and much less than others. That is the medium that I think this band has found. I do not love it and I do not hate it.
  • Options
    SHZASHZA St. Louis, MO USA Posts: 3,511
    demetrios said:
    Written by a Live Nation executive. Clearly an objective source 😂
  • Options
    tino_11tino_11 Posts: 2,014
    SHZA said:
    demetrios said:
    Haha. Still there certainly seems to be some truths in the article that some people around here don't want to admit. 
    2010: London
    2012: Manchester I, Manchester II, Manchester (EV) 
    2014: Milan, Leeds, Milton Keynes 
    2017: London II (EV) 
    2018: Amsterdam I, London I, Prague, London II 
    2019: London (EV)
    2022: London I, London II, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam
  • Options
    SHZASHZA St. Louis, MO USA Posts: 3,511
    edited March 1
    tino_11 said:
    SHZA said:
    demetrios said:
    Haha. Still there certainly seems to be some truths in the article that some people around here don't want to admit. 
    No doubt. It would just carry more weight from someone whose bonuses aren't tied to Ticketmaster's success and who would tell both sides of the story. He may be leaving out some more inconvenient truths. 
    Post edited by SHZA on