Holy shit.. earthlings is very very GOOD

Comments

• jonbond1779jonbond1779 Posts: 1,637
    Awesome album.

Brother the Cloud reminds me a lot of Lily Allens 'The Fear' - anyone?
    "Bring it back, to the clean form. To the pure form"

28/09/04 - Boston, 20/04/06 - London [\\mm//Astoria\\mm//] - 18/06/07 - Wembley Arena, 11/08/09 -  London [\\mm//Shepherds Bush Empire\\mm//],18/08/09 - 02 Arena, 25/06/10 - Hyde Park, 26/06/12 - Amsterdam, 27/06/12 - Amsterdam, 08/07/14 - Leeds,11/07/14 - Milton Keynes, 13/06/18 - Amsterdam, 18/06/18 - London 02 Arena, 17/07/18 - London 02 Arena, 08/08/22 - Hyde Park, 9/08/22 - Hyde Park - 25/08/22 - Amsterdam, 29/07/24 - London {*Tottenham Stadium TBC*}
  • False_BeliefFalse_Belief Posts: 763
    edited February 2022
    deleted
    Post edited by Sea on

Leeds 2006, London 2007, Hartford 2008, London Shepherds Bush 2009, London O2 2009, Dublin 2010, London Hyde Park 2010, Amsterdam 1 2012, Amsterdam 2 2012, Berlin 1 2012, EV solo London 30/7/2012, Berlin 2014, Stockholm 2014, Milton Keynes 2014, Amsterdam 1 2018, London 1 2018, London 2 2018, EV solo Dublin 2019, London 1 2022, London 2 2022, New York City 2022 

• Deep TracksDeep Tracks Posts: 7
    edited February 2022
    deleted.
    Post edited by Sea on
  • SeaSea Posts: 3,010

Posting Guidelines

1. Be nice. We're very big on RESPECT here. Respect for each other, the band and the Ten Club Community forum environment. Please think of it as if you are as a guest in someone else's home. Please do not put your posting privileges at risk.

2. Discuss, disagree and debate politely. It's possible to disagree with people without being abusive, and it's a requirement here. This includes abusive Private Messages.

a. We operate on the "I'm rubber, you're glue" philosophy so if you make a wonderful, thoughtful post with good points and call the other guy a moron while you're at it, it'll be removed. See #3.

3. There are people bashing and insulting each other all over the internet. We feel it can be better here.

• Sea said:

Posting Guidelines

1. Be nice. We're very big on RESPECT here. Respect for each other, the band and the Ten Club Community forum environment. Please think of it as if you are as a guest in someone else's home. Please do not put your posting privileges at risk.

2. Discuss, disagree and debate politely. It's possible to disagree with people without being abusive, and it's a requirement here. This includes abusive Private Messages.

a. We operate on the "I'm rubber, you're glue" philosophy so if you make a wonderful, thoughtful post with good points and call the other guy a moron while you're at it, it'll be removed. See #3.

3. There are people bashing and insulting each other all over the internet. We feel it can be better here.

so long as that respect doesn't extend to the artist's whose forum this purports to be. gotcha.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,540
    kristie73 said:
    Its hit or miss for me. I'm surprised because I expected it to be folksy and I don't feel that at all.  Some songs sound good and rocking, sound similar to recent pearl jam albums in his singing style.  I do not like The Haves, not feeling Picture either with Elton John -my least favorites.  Its really a big mix of music styles...maybe he was going for that. I enjoyed Invincible, Power of Right, Fallout Today, Good and Evil - felt familiar. I guess I enjoyed the guitar here too.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6nPc5ihnZM
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• Just informed there is an Atmos mix on Apple Music people. 
    I just noticed that. Downloaded 

those mixes are usually pretty good so I’ll actually probably listen to that tonight and forgo the waiting for fresh pressed 
  • Sea said:

Posting Guidelines

so long as that respect doesn't extend to the artist's whose forum this purports to be. gotcha.
    No one was being disrespectful. They were giving honest opinions on the latest work. Not everyone likes everything, ever. Please get a hold of yourself son. 
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,835
    Sea said:

Posting Guidelines

No one was being disrespectful. They were giving honest opinions on the latest work. Not everyone likes everything, ever. Please get a hold of yourself son
    Ah, so he’s your son?

Makes sense now. :lol:
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • tschavtschav Posts: 2,833
    Earthling = Backspacer Vol. 2
  • tschavtschav Posts: 2,833
    I kid, I kid, definitely digging this album. Definitely a few forgettable tracks, but a lot more to love than expected.
  • RW8297RW8297 Posts: 1,610
    tschav said:
    Earthling = Backspacer Vol. 2
    Never thought it would come to this but Just Breathe seems to be a masterpiece now in comparison to Earthling's songs,...
  • OceansJennyOceansJenny Posts: 3,393
    What’s going on on this thread?? Relax people it’s just music. Enjoy it or don’t.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • Lol
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,118
    edited February 2022
    Why are moderators deleting posts? What is happening in here?

I hope it is not comments about Picture. BEST SONG OM THE ALBUM
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,118
    edited February 2022
    JPPJ84 said:
    Not a fan of the album after one listen. Enjoyed Try the most. That is one weirdly fun harmonica 
    You and I are like two peas in a pod. 

Just change Try for Picture. Or that good vs evil song. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • OceansJennyOceansJenny Posts: 3,393
    Why are moderators deleting posts? What is happening in here?

It’s definitely which songs would sound better with Motely Crue.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • WW187806WW187806 Long Island, NY Posts: 558
    Wasn't planning on weighing in, and dont want to in full now. Lil background... fan since '92 became big fan '96, and with Yield superfan. 50+ shows. Have a bunch of posters, but won't fight anyone for it or stand in line for days. Have all the vinyl, but not a vinyl freak. Almost any interview, or release Ed or Pearl Jam have done I've had the ears open. Just saw both NYC. Ive heard the singles, and Invincible. After the live shows (still haven't wholly reviewed that, tough going into NYC on work nights and then doing it again, and bringing it) I thought... how do I want to listen to this album. Wasn't leaked... There's just not alot of good shit getting released, and after COVID with the 5 year wait for Gigaton... I wanted to make hearing the album/songs for the first time cool. Have some fun with it!

*First, wholeheartedly agree with thought EVERYONE is entitled to an opinion on here (politely) or what are we doing?
    My thought before going through this discussion was Brother is greatness, Long Way a classy tribute to Petty esp. with Benmont on it. So cool, its a fluffy song, but Ed sounds great, and its for Tom, really. Haves I felt he was trying to sing, I wanted to like a ballad (haven't really had one, an no not Sirens!). I get it, its genuine, from the heart, I'll still give it some listens. Now, Invincible blew me away. I loved the intro, the lyrics, and the band is just a storm! They sound tight! But it does have some of that production gloss... 

Now I am going to pick up the record tomorrow at a record store in person, and do like I did when I was 15 and hear some songs in the car. Until then, gonna keep lookin at the interviews etc. Following through all of the articles, podcasts!, you'd be a dummy not to realize Ed was putting himself out there. Seems as if the cloud over his head has moved a bit, and there's some light shining through. Just overall, in a good place, and hearing the live songs once I know its upbeat, and I think its gonna be good. For now another new song tonight, maybe two from iTunes. Check back in on you Earthlings later. Looks like consensus here was that the minority thinks its great. Rest like some stuff, some like none at all. Interesting. I will say as a parting note that NYC 2 was one of the best live shows I have ever seen, lucky to be there.

mic drop
  • Why are moderators deleting posts? What is happening in here?

It’s definitely which songs would sound better with Motely Crue.
    Kind of disrespectful not using the ö and the ü
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 6,436
    JPPJ84 said:
    Vedd Hedd said:
    is there any link to the lyrics for the songs anywhere?
    https://www.waytolyrics.com/2022/02/eddie-vedder-earthling-album-tracklist.html?m=1
    ^ that site and Apple music have misprinted the words in Mrs. Mills to "every guitar gets it's own song", rather than "suitor" enhancing the double entendre of Ed's song "about women's empowerment" (Ed & the Boss interview).

Funny how fans can change the meaning of songs such Brother the Cloud pertaining to Chris Cornell rather than Ed's brother. If I were an interviewer, I'd cut to the heart of matters like these.

Now... back to fetal hyperventilation.
  • tish said:
    JPPJ84 said:
    Vedd Hedd said:
    is there any link to the lyrics for the songs anywhere?
    https://www.waytolyrics.com/2022/02/eddie-vedder-earthling-album-tracklist.html?m=1
    ^ that site and Apple music have misprinted the words in Mrs. Mills to "every guitar gets it's own song", rather than "suitor" enhancing the double entendre of Ed's song "about women's empowerment" (Ed & the Boss interview).

Funny how fans can change the meaning of songs such Brother the Cloud pertaining to Chris Cornell rather than Ed's brother. If I were an interviewer, I'd cut to the heart of matters like these.

Now... back to fetal hyperventilation.
    Every lyrics site is crazy and the craziness spreads from site to site, like a virus Mr Anderson. Just look up the lyrics for Peter LeMarc’s ”Här kommer din älskling”. What is going on. 
  • Watched the interview with Bruce this afternoon.  The stories behind the songs really opened my eyes to this album.  Wasn’t a fan of the haves as a single but listening to Eddie speak of Venice beach and what it’s become I have a hard time listening to that song and not tearing up now.   I may be biased as I have been since Alive video hit MTV but this is a great rock album.  

Cheers 
    What do you all think Ed means when he sings "a fuckin hoover" in P.O.R.
    vinyl boy said:
    Watched the interview with Bruce this afternoon.  The stories behind the songs really opened my eyes to this album.  Wasn’t a fan of the haves as a single but listening to Eddie speak of Venice beach and what it’s become I have a hard time listening to that song and not tearing up now.   I may be biased as I have been since Alive video hit MTV but this is a great rock album.  

Cheers 
    I know, it makes me think he's wrong.
  • May have been posted already…but Mrs. Mills is EVs Eleanor Rigby
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,705
    So the consensus so far is that it is meh, but great, uninspired but breaking new ground, It is both the best thing he has done solo and also the worst. Got it. 
  • May have been posted already…but Mrs. Mills is EVs Eleanor Rigby
    What does this mean
    Well, I googled Eleanor Rigby and under that video link by the Beatles, @Veddhedd, I noticed EV has lyric videos, if you're into accuracy.
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237
    May have been posted already…but Mrs. Mills is EVs Eleanor Rigby
    What does this mean
    Beatles influence coming through I would say. 
    www.cluthelee.com