Holy shit.. earthlings is very very GOOD

Comments

• mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,407
    I like it---much better than I was expecting it to be. It has some great tunes, and only 2 songs that I will most likely pass over (unless spinning the LP). I'd much prefer Into The Wild over Earthling, but like it a lot more than Uke Songs. It's a good album.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • OceansJennyOceansJenny Posts: 3,393
    I can't believe Ed released The Haves as a single now that I hear the rest.  My least favorite song by a wide margin.  Whew.  
    Same. Dangit Jill!
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Posts: 7,757
    Mrs. Mills could be a McCartney song. 
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,937
    I'm a fan... nice job, Ed!
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,392
    edited February 2022
    Its  a no thank you from me. @mcgruff10 this is right  up your  street
    He’s going to hate this album, isn’t he? Lol 
    I ll be nice; from what I ve heard I m glad I didn’t see him live last week.  Not my cup of tea. Very dad rock to me.  Ed and Elton John doing a duet?  Ugh ugh.  Ok
    Itw is still my favorite Ed album.  
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • FroggieFroggie Posts: 235
    Really enjoying this on my first listen as I type. Some of the songs are definitely more accessible and enjoyable on first listen to me more so than lots of Gigaton....I'm still struggling to get into that one.  I don't really know what people expected from this to be so disappointed? To my mind it's classic modern day Eddie. ITW is almost 15 years' old and Ukulele Songs is ~11 years' old (even though several of the songs go much further back). So I think Earthling it's a fairly good representation of where Eddie is at right now and for the last few years.

Quick P.S. just on Picture and it's the first song that would not be that appealing to me. 
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,773
    I'm surprised that people are surprised our guys put out good music
    I miss igotid88
  • Edved82Edved82 Posts: 1,279
    Love Eddie and glad that he seems to be in a happy, upbeat place after seemingly a tough few years. But it's a "nope" for me on first listen, unfortunately. There'll be a few more listens before I make up my mind on it.
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • mcgruff10 said:
    Its  a no thank you from me. @mcgruff10 this is right  up your  street
    He’s going to hate this album, isn’t he? Lol 
    I ll be nice; from what I ve heard I m glad I didn’t see him live last week.  Not my cup of tea. Very dad rock to me.  Ed and Elton John doing a duet?  Ugh ugh.  Ok
    Itw is still my favorite Ed album.  
    This is a rare day
     Me and @mcgruff10 agree
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • igotid88 said:
    I would imagine, some people's expectations were calibrated to what they felt about the singles.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • SaravaSarava Posts: 2,019
    I'm very impressed so far. And the songs sounded amazing last night at the show. I'm thinking I will dig this a lot more than recent Pearl Jam albums, which have felt forced to me. 
    igotid88 said:
    I would imagine, some people's expectations were calibrated to what they felt about the singles.
    And those were good. But even then there's 30 years of good stuff. Also people can't expect to like 100% of every song of every album. It's like the guys have to be perfect.
    I miss igotid88
  • Haven’t heard it. Waiting for my fresh press to arrive. Thanks for the review though! Can’t wait to spin this mofo! 
  • I'm on the sixth song. So far so good. I like it better than his other two solo albums, and I like the songs I've listened to so far more than I liked the singles. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237
    Three songs in, just as incredible as I was calibrated to think when they dropped Long Way! Aren't we a lucky bunch to have such an active bunch of musicians creating for us!! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • West Coast DreamgirlWest Coast Dreamgirl Posts: 1,874
    edited February 2022
    Listened to it (only) twice. Don't really see where the highs are? Wordy and the songs go on. Sometimes I feel like the sound of the songs are generic poprock and doesn't mesh well with Eddies vocals lying on top. I liked the Elton duet because it was nicely poppy, upbeat and Eltons voice was a nice addition to Eddies and offered some change.

Liked the mood of the last short song-thing with his dad.

Will grow on me. And some stuff are nice. 

BUT TRY WORKING WITH BED AND BREAKFAST OWNER AND MÖTLEY PRIDUCER TOM WERMAN NEXT TIME.

Earthlings did not land through my letterbox this morning so i listened to 30 second snippets online. Based on that I agree it's more upbeat than expected, although i really like a few of the songs but like @Spiritual_Chaos I expect the rest will grow on me xxx

(I dunno who said PJ are boring, i read that briefly too, they're obviously clueless!)

https://www.billboard.com/music/rock/eddie-vedder-earthling-listen-1235030073/
    Post edited by West Coast Dreamgirl on
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,118
    edited February 2022
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    And those were good. 
    According to you. That is your opinion. Your personal taste. Tastes are individual. 

No need to have the approach of the hare avatar guy regarding Gigaton.

Take the long way on the freeway and all that.

They have released a lot of stuff people do not like also, at least from 1996.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,521
    I've listened through it once.   All I can say is I like some of the songs, but it's not an album that hit me light a bolt of lightning on the first listen.   I'll have to listen to it some more.  That's ok though, it's very rare for albums to hit me on the first spin.  Into the Wild did though.. so there is a bar :)
  • PJ5a1PJ5a1 Oceanside, NY Posts: 446
    Such a roller coaster of a record... intense at times, a lot of fun, calm and heavy... Love it. Love hearing chad smith, klinghoffer and pleasantly surprised by how Watt can shred both on the record and live. 
    If I were Eddie Vedder, would you like me any better? - Local H
  • Considering how fun the other songs are, I can't believe he chose the singles he chose. Then again, maybe he didn't want electric guitar-driven tunes to be compared to Pearl Jam. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237
    Just informed there is an Atmos mix on Apple Music people. 
    www.cluthelee.com
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    And those were good. 
    According to you. That is your opinion. Your personal taste. Tastes are individual. 

No need to have the approach of the hare avatar guy regarding Gigaton.

Take the long way on the freeway and all that.

They have released a lot of stuff people do not like also, at least from 1996.
    Most people liked it
    I miss igotid88
  • Anyone have the instrumentation on the album? I'm just gonna buy it on iTunes so I won't have the liner notes from a physical release. Is it his Earthlings band? 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • PJ5a1PJ5a1 Oceanside, NY Posts: 446
    Anyone have the instrumentation on the album? I'm just gonna buy it on iTunes so I won't have the liner notes from a physical release. Is it his Earthlings band? 
     I never knew they make the instrument versions... where the hell have I been? Itunes has them?
    If I were Eddie Vedder, would you like me any better? - Local H
  • OceansJennyOceansJenny Posts: 3,393
    Just informed there is an Atmos mix on Apple Music people. 
    Nice! Same version as the iTunes download I wonder?
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • PJ5a1 said:
    Anyone have the instrumentation on the album? I'm just gonna buy it on iTunes so I won't have the liner notes from a physical release. Is it his Earthlings band? 
     I never knew they make the instrument versions... where the hell have I been? Itunes has them?
    lol, no I mean who is playing the instruments on the album?

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,118
    edited February 2022
    Invincible sounds like The Killers or some of those newer "making rock anthems" type bands. Unimaginative chorus that verge on cringy. 

Good and Evil is fun. 

Rose of Jericho too.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Listened to it (only) twice. Don't really see where the highs are? Wordy and the songs go on. Sometimes I feel like the sound of the songs are generic poprock and doesn't mesh well with Eddies vocals lying on top. I liked the Elton duet because it was nicely poppy, upbeat and Eltons voice was a nice addition to Eddies and offered some change.

Liked the mood of the last short song-thing with his dad.

Will grow on me. And some stuff are nice. 

BUT TRY WORKING WITH BED AND BREAKFAST OWNER AND MÖTLEY PRIDUCER TOM WERMAN NEXT TIME.
    I’m curious your take on gigaton if you think this album is wordy… love gigaton for what it is but talk about some songs that go on haha 

And man if good vs evil doesn’t give you a shot of energy/testosterone/head bopping idk what will on this album 
    Love the first half of Gigaton. Great hooks in those songs. DotC should have been produced differently or skipped because it's "dead sound" kills the garagey living and live sound of the songs coming before it. 

The second half drags a bit. Weird to frontload the album with all the faster songs, and then have all the slower numbers in the back. Weird album listen too therefore. 
  • tino_11tino_11 Posts: 2,099
    Had a few listens to this now. 

I'm not really feeling it but it is growing on me a little. Some songs like The Haves, Try and the Elton duet I can't see ever being my thing. I know Eddie is older, in a different place etc etc but my listening tastes are not heading in the same direction. We are 100% in the dad rock space here.

Musically I'm not finding much that inspires me. There's quite a few songs that the tempo is too fast on, I think they'd suit being slowed down a bit. 

Reading opinions that the is better than ITW is blowing my mind. That for me will always be one of my top 10 albums of all time. 
    'F*** the pessimists. F*** 'em.' Eddie Vedder
  • Try is fun. But not something one remembers when it ends.

THE REEL BIG FISH VIBES.

https://youtu.be/nMpxb-PsEss