Holy shit.. earthlings is very very GOOD

167891012»

Comments

• Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    edited February 2022
    JV130312 said:
    Okay.  Not good.  Not terrible.  If I’m trying to recruit fans, this is not something I am using as a recruiting tool.
    What fans do you think he’s trying to recruit? Absolutely nonsense comment that is even more stupid the more I think about it.
    Most if not all of my favourite albums from PJ are from when they apparently stopped trying to recruit fans.  Probably everything after their first 3 albums fits that description, but surely everything post Yield  

I don’t think that’s a bad thing 
    Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,889
    JV130312 said:
    Okay.  Not good.  Not terrible.  If I’m trying to recruit fans, this is not something I am using as a recruiting tool.
    What fans do you think he’s trying to recruit? Absolutely nonsense comment that is even more stupid the more I think about it.
    Most if not all of my favourite albums from PJ are from when they apparently stopped trying to recruit fans.  Probably everything after their first 3 albums fits that description, but surely everything post Yield  

I think he meant that if HE, the person who wrote the post, were trying to recruit EV fans, he wouldn't use this album to do it. I could be wrong obvs, but I didn't have the impression that he was talking about EV trying to recruit fans.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • PJ_Soul said:
    JV130312 said:

I think he meant that if HE, the person who wrote the post, were trying to recruit EV fans, he wouldn't use this album to do it. I could be wrong obvs, but I didn't have the impression that he was talking about EV trying to recruit fans.
    This was the way I took the comment. Basically, if someone was unfamiliar with EV or PJ, this wouldn’t be the album pointed to as a good catalogue entry point.  I think that’s a fair comment the more I think about it. 

• I really see Earthling as the first “proper” EV solo album. ITTW & US have restrictive parameters that were worked (successfully) within, where as Earthling feels like the boundaries were as far as the artists/band wanted to go. 
    With that in mind, I think it’s allowed Eddie to explore things like “hey, what if we got Stevie Wonder to play harmonica on a punky type of song” (as he talked about in the conversation with Bruce S.). 
    Now that might not be an exploration we all find palatable, but it’s great that Vedder can still be inspired to try new things creatively, & hey even enjoy himself! 😊
    After all this is a guy who put himself, & travelled with PJ, through the ringer emotionally & physically for many years, making some unforgettable music along the way, who now finds himself as part of a loving, stable family. It’s great to see him put out a record & say this is who I am right now, someone still trying to stand up for what he feels is right (Power of Right, Good And Evil, Rose Of Jericho), but also happy to acknowledge the love of the people around him (Invincible, Long Way, The Haves, Picture). 
    We’ve all had a few rubbish years with the chaos of covid, and it seems The Earthlings found some streams of sunlight they wanted to share with us to, hopefully, bring us some relief. 
    As Eddie sings on The Dark “I didn’t mean to up & scare you, I came hear to open up…Let me lift, lift you out of the dark…” 👍🏻

Thoughts on the tunes -
    Invincible is a nice opener, but definitely not a single. Liked the way this links back into On My Way & book ends the album. 
    Power Of Right is Can’t Deny Me mark 2, but better? 🤔
    Long Way’s expansive aura makes me think of driving through the dusty outback of Australia.
    Brother The Cloud is the ear worm from the album, despite the clunky title & lyrics.
    Fallout Today, perhaps the most forgettable track of the 13, although I could see this being picked as a 4th single 🤷🏻‍♂️
    The Dark = Ed & the E Street Band? 😉
    The Haves, really struggle with the “sentiment” of this one (hey, it’s ok to be destitute as long as you have love…coming from a millionaire!?! Hmmm). More clunky lyrics too…rhyming above with umm…A bove 😕 A shame because the instrumentation is lovely. 
    Good And Evil, a cracking little punk rocker. Liking the comparisons to QOTSA. 
    Rose Of Jericho - could replace Never Destination on Gigaton? 😉 
    Try, a friend said this is like a 90’s TV show theme tune & I get what she means 😊
    Picture - Eddie does rag time with Elton! Like that it’s linked to a picture Bruce S. gave him. Definitely reminds me of some of the guest live spots at gigs Eddie has done. A tune you’d want to hear everyday though?… 😜
    Mrs Mills, as a Brit any homage to the Beatles is a.o.k 😂👌🏻 Especially one as quirky as to talk about a piano Paul McCartney wants, but can’t buy. 
    On My Way - the essence of the album. Show casing an Eddie Vedder who is now comfortable enough to say I knew I was like my Dad somehow, just look how similar we are. Goosebumps! 
    Wembley Arena, London - 28/10/96
    Wembley Arena, London - 30/05/00 
    Wembley Arena, London - 18/06/07
    02 Arena, London - 18/08/09
    Hammersmith Apollo, London - 30/07/12 EV Solo
    Bowl, Milton Keynes - 11/07/2014
    Hammersmith Apollo, London - 06/06/17 EV Solo
    O2 Arena, London - 18/06/18
    O2 Arena, London - 17/07/18

It's an art to live with pain, mix the light into grey...