Holy shit.. earthlings is very very GOOD

Comments

• Gave it a listen today.  Made it two songs in.  Immediately cancelling my vinyl preorder and possibly trading off my first press thingy. Won’t be listening to this ever again.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,540
    Gave it a listen today.  Made it two songs in.  Immediately cancelling my vinyl preorder and possibly trading off my first press thingy. Won’t be listening to this ever again.
    try again. start at track 4, skip tracks 7 and 11. 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• WMAmoricanWMAmorican Posts: 247
    edited February 2022
    Gvn2fly said:
    I'll never have the need or desire to listen to the song with Elton John again.  
    This, exactly....(otherwise digging the album after one spin)
  • OceansJennyOceansJenny Posts: 3,393
    Brother the Cloud is 100% about CC. And also his own brother.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • Gave it a listen today.  Made it two songs in.  Immediately cancelling my vinyl preorder and possibly trading off my first press thingy. Won’t be listening to this ever again.
    I honestly don’t know if I can put myself through it again, lol!  It’s just so boring. Just emailed 10c to cancel my vinyl order. I’ll wait a few days and try to give it a start at track 4.  Personally I’m just so meh towards him these days, feel like all the reasons I fell so hard into these guys in the early 90’s is gone and the new stuff just doesn’t rock at all- definitely not interested in Pearl Jam or Eddie leaning towards pop.  If they don’t rock or lean alternative, I just can’t do it.
  • DW183354DW183354 Posts: 135
    This album is damn near perfect. I love it. Deeply. Its celebratory, unexpected, groovy and fun. 
    U listened to 2 songs and then canceled ur record? Jesus, little dramatic no? Odd.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,774
    Gave it a listen today.  Made it two songs in.  Immediately cancelling my vinyl preorder and possibly trading off my first press thingy. Won’t be listening to this ever again.
    I honestly don’t know if I can put myself through it again, lol!  It’s just so boring. Just emailed 10c to cancel my vinyl order. I’ll wait a few days and try to give it a start at track 4.  Personally I’m just so meh towards him these days, feel like all the reasons I fell so hard into these guys in the early 90’s is gone and the new stuff just doesn’t rock at all- definitely not interested in Pearl Jam or Eddie leaning towards pop.  If they don’t rock or lean alternative, I just can’t do it.
    There are rockers in this. 
    I miss igotid88

U listened to 2 songs and then canceled ur record? Jesus, little dramatic no? Odd.
    Yeah.  Don’t know why I bought it and glad I can still cancel.  Made me realize how I don’t need it and someone else who wants it should have it. My tastes have changed over the years, I guess.  Just kinda sounds like gigaton 2 with a different band or something.  Having seen Ed a bunch of times it’s just not my thing compared to the band themselves.  Sounds like he tries way too hard to me nowadays and everything he does is overproduced and kinda cringy.  I’ll always love into the wild for his solo stuff. 
    Yeah.  Don’t know why I bought it and glad I can still cancel.  Made me realize how I don’t need it and someone else who wants it should have it. My tastes have changed over the years, I guess.  Just kinda sounds like gigaton 2 with a different band or something.  Having seen Ed a bunch of times it’s just not my thing compared to the band themselves.  Sounds like he tries way too hard to me nowadays and everything he does is overproduced and kinda cringy.  I’ll always love into the wild for his solo stuff. 
    It sounds nothing like gigaton. What are you talking about? Listen to it Atleast 2x. You don’t give anything a chance? 
  • So far it’s a solid B.  That’s really good to me as albums often take a long time for me to fully appreciate so rating subject to change. 

Ukulele songs took several years of coming back to it again and again for me to really appreciate the concept and this isn’t as difficult as that on first listen for sure.   
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,429
    edited February 2022
    I thought he confirmed it was not Cornell.  Not sure where I read that now though. 
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,680
    First listen about to start….

• Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,816
    edited February 2022
    Just had my first two listens and all I can say is... I am extremely excited for a potential Andrew Watt produced PJ album

Earthling already has more replay value than Gigaton to me, and I'm not sure how I want to feel about that lol.  Well done EV.  I just wish some of these ideas would have shown up on Gigaton, but hoping for a quick Andrew Watt produced follow up.  Everything about this album just sounds better, cleaner, and more put together.  
    Post edited by Weston1283 on
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
    2024: Las Vegas I / Las Vegas II / New York City I / New York City II / Philly I / Philly II / Baltimore
    tschav said:
    Earthling = Backspacer Vol. 2
    Backspacer is my 5th favorite PJ album. That would be incredible 
    It sounds nothing like gigaton. What are you talking about? Listen to it Atleast 2x. You don’t give anything a chance? 
    I hadn’t listened to any of the singles or anything before today- maybe if I had I would have known a bit about what to expect?  It’s not a big deal, don’t get upset- I may play it again, we’ll see, but it’s a streaming album if at all to me.  Truth is I have over $1800 (for real, I have a freaking spreadsheet lol) in preorders I’ve ordered in the last few weeks of things I’m really really excited about (yeah, I went insane and it is what it is) and this just didn’t meet my threshold for an album I need to own. There’s waaaay to much amazing new stuff hitting the streets to lose a spot on the shelf to this.  If completism is the only reason I own something, I’m selling it.  I get more enjoyment from listening to up and coming artists and smaller label bands these days.  Sorry to piss you all off, I’m glad you guys enjoy it, that’s awesome you do, spin the hell out of it!
    I hadn’t listened to any of the singles or anything before today- maybe if I had I would have known a bit about what to expect?  It’s not a big deal, don’t get upset- I may play it again, we’ll see, but it’s a streaming album if at all to me.  Truth is I have over $1800 (for real, I have a freaking spreadsheet lol) in preorders I’ve ordered in the last few weeks of things I’m really really excited about (yeah, I went insane and it is what it is) and this just didn’t meet my threshold for an album I need to own. There’s waaaay to much amazing new stuff hitting the streets to lose a spot on the shelf to this.  If completism is the only reason I own something, I’m selling it.  I get more enjoyment from listening to up and coming artists and smaller label bands these days.  Sorry to piss you all off, I’m glad you guys enjoy it, that’s awesome you do, spin the hell out of it!
    I’m not pissed off, I just thought it was odd that your a Pearl Jam fan and listened to 2 songs and then stopped and canceled your record order. That’s all. Just strange to me but I’m in no way upset , just thought it was bizarre. 
    PJNB said:
    I thought he confirmed it was not Cornell.  Not sure where I read that now though. 
    Yeah I think there are reasons he is not publicly saying it’s about CC. Usually when people ask about the song he generalizes or mentions his brother. The lyrics plus the NYT article and especially opening the song live talking about suicide tells me CC is the primary subject. I don’t doubt his own brother is in there though but I don’t think his brother’s climbing accident would solicit the emotional anger in the song. That is my take.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • I actually didn’t expect to like this because I didn’t like the singles and wasn’t all that into Into The Wild or Ukulele Songs anyway. But I really like it. Easily my favorite of the three Ed solo albums. I’m just not into a guy strumming his guitar (or for that matter, his ukulele) and singing. But this has some fun arrangements and instrumentations. And riffs for that matter. Pleasantly surprised. 

Does anyone know who’s playing on the tracks with Ed? Is it his Earthlings band? I grabbed it on iTunes so I don’t have the liner notes. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    edited February 2022
    I actually didn’t expect to like this because I didn’t like the singles and wasn’t all that into Into The Wild or Ukulele Songs anyway. But I really like it. Easily my favorite of the three Ed solo albums. I’m just not into a guy strumming his guitar (or for that matter, his ukulele) and singing. But this has some fun arrangements and instrumentations. And riffs for that matter. Pleasantly surprised. 

Does anyone know who’s playing on the tracks with Ed? Is it his Earthlings band? I grabbed it on iTunes so I don’t have the liner notes. 

Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • SaravaSarava Posts: 2,019
    I’m not pissed off, I just thought it was odd that your a Pearl Jam fan and listened to 2 songs and then stopped and canceled your record order. That’s all. Just strange to me but I’m in no way upset , just thought it was bizarre. 
    It was weird. He put more effort in to ripping the album than he put effort in in to listening to it. Anyway, to each his own.
  • 3days3days Posts: 1,158
    It's not Motley Crue good, but I still love it!
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,260
    So what’s the difference with the Deluxe CD? The description isn’t listed anymore. 
    I preordered the vinyl and deluxe, and since both are held up I haven’t heard the album yet. I don’t really want to buy a third copy in the form of the regular cd just so I can listen now. Debating if I should just cancel my order, but don’t know what the differences are.
    Deluxe is probably book like
  • PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,643
    Liked it first listen. Glad Eddie getting out his softer vibes on this album son PJ can rock the fuck out on the next studio album.
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,345
    WW187806 said:
    Wasn't planning on weighing in, and dont want to in full now. Lil background... fan since '92 became big fan '96, and with Yield superfan. 50+ shows. Have a bunch of posters, but won't fight anyone for it or stand in line for days. Have all the vinyl, but not a vinyl freak. Almost any interview, or release Ed or Pearl Jam have done I've had the ears open. Just saw both NYC. Ive heard the singles, and Invincible. After the live shows (still haven't wholly reviewed that, tough going into NYC on work nights and then doing it again, and bringing it) I thought... how do I want to listen to this album. Wasn't leaked... There's just not alot of good shit getting released, and after COVID with the 5 year wait for Gigaton... I wanted to make hearing the album/songs for the first time cool. Have some fun with it!

*First, wholeheartedly agree with thought EVERYONE is entitled to an opinion on here (politely) or what are we doing?
    My thought before going through this discussion was Brother is greatness, Long Way a classy tribute to Petty esp. with Benmont on it. So cool, its a fluffy song, but Ed sounds great, and its for Tom, really. Haves I felt he was trying to sing, I wanted to like a ballad (haven't really had one, an no not Sirens!). I get it, its genuine, from the heart, I'll still give it some listens. Now, Invincible blew me away. I loved the intro, the lyrics, and the band is just a storm! They sound tight! But it does have some of that production gloss... 

Now I am going to pick up the record tomorrow at a record store in person, and do like I did when I was 15 and hear some songs in the car. Until then, gonna keep lookin at the interviews etc. Following through all of the articles, podcasts!, you'd be a dummy not to realize Ed was putting himself out there. Seems as if the cloud over his head has moved a bit, and there's some light shining through. Just overall, in a good place, and hearing the live songs once I know its upbeat, and I think its gonna be good. For now another new song tonight, maybe two from iTunes. Check back in on you Earthlings later. Looks like consensus here was that the minority thinks its great. Rest like some stuff, some like none at all. Interesting. I will say as a parting note that NYC 2 was one of the best live shows I have ever seen, lucky to be there.

mic drop
    This wasn’t weighing in “in full”? How long will that post be??? ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
    edited February 2022
    I actually didn’t expect to like this because I didn’t like the singles and wasn’t all that into Into The Wild or Ukulele Songs anyway. But I really like it. Easily my favorite of the three Ed solo albums. I’m just not into a guy strumming his guitar (or for that matter, his ukulele) and singing. But this has some fun arrangements and instrumentations. And riffs for that matter. Pleasantly surprised. 

Thank you!! Looks like it was Ed and Andrew, with lots of Josh and Chad. I bet it was fun for Chad to step outside the norm as well. The man seems to just love to drum. He’s my type of energy.
  • I actually didn’t expect to like this because I didn’t like the singles and wasn’t all that into Into The Wild or Ukulele Songs anyway. But I really like it. Easily my favorite of the three Ed solo albums. I’m just not into a guy strumming his guitar (or for that matter, his ukulele) and singing. But this has some fun arrangements and instrumentations. And riffs for that matter. Pleasantly surprised. 

Thanks!
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com