Holy shit.. earthlings is very very GOOD

Comments

• After the first couple of listens, I'm not a fan. Hoping it grows on me, not sure if it will.
    May your days be long, til kingdom come.

Join the fight to prevent suicide at www.afsp.org
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,774
    Just informed there is an Atmos mix on Apple Music people. 
    Nice! Same version as the iTunes download I wonder?
    I think all new releases will be Atmos mixed. Apple is in the process making their library Atmos 
    I miss igotid88
  • Lots of negative Nancy’s on here. Complain complain complain. Kind of to be expected but these people always complain about everything. It’s a cool record, it’s not Pearl Jam people. I think there is something for everyone on this record. I’m excited to have something new to listen to. Great start to a Friday 
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,126
    None of the singles grabbed me and and after one full listen neither did anything else. I really want to like this but...eh so far.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • I dont think peoples opinions is complaining  . I don't  care if its good or bad.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,392
    Invincible reminds me of a Coldplay song.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    mcgruff10 said:
    Its  a no thank you from me. @mcgruff10 this is right  up your  street
    He’s going to hate this album, isn’t he? Lol 
    I ll be nice; from what I ve heard I m glad I didn’t see him live last week.  Not my cup of tea. Very dad rock to me.  Ed and Elton John doing a duet?  Ugh ugh.  Ok
    Itw is still my favorite Ed album.  
    This is a rare day
     Me and @mcgruff10 agree
    Ha ha. Love it!
  • RE658041RE658041 Posts: 406
    edited February 2022
    Invincible-the best song

Brother the Cloud and Good and Evil good too. And The Haves good.
    Long Way-boring
    Picture-i think old ladies will like that one. Im not an old lady.

I never complain.
    Post edited by RE658041 on
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,775
    Rough room

It’s all good… your entitled 

• nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,316
    Lots of negative Nancy’s on here. Complain complain complain. Kind of to be expected but these people always complain about everything. It’s a cool record, it’s not Pearl Jam people. I think there is something for everyone on this record. I’m excited to have something new to listen to. Great start to a Friday 
    Right on time. 
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,145
    I dont think peoples opinions is complaining  . I don't  care if its good or bad.
    You’re right. Music is critiqued. It’s been that way for ages. 
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Posts: 3,020
    edited February 2022
    Better than Ukulele Songs but not as good as Into the Wild. At least for now.  Look forward to listening to it some more

And I feel comfortable about my choice to not pay $450 for a pair of tickets to see him play most of it live. Even if there are covers and PJ songs included. 
    Post edited by CantKeepmedown on
  • shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,818
    I love it and I’m really grateful that he’s clearly having a great time playing these songs and that I got to see them twice.  I needed the joy of new music so badly and the 2 shows I attended will be treasured.  I’ll be playing Earthling on repeat.  
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 NYC Global Citizen
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/2/18 Fenway 1 9/4/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    2/4/22 EV Earthlings NYC 2/6/22 EV Earthlings Newark 9/11/22 MSG 9/14/22 Camden
    9/3/24 MSG 1 9/4/24 MSG 2 9/7/24 Philly 1 9/9/24 Philly 2
    Being serious here, "on my way" is freaking brilliant, reminds me of a Beatles song.  I absolutely love it, ed's voice is perfect.  I could see them jamming the shit out of this.  I'm guessing that's ed's dad in the beginning of the song?  If so that must have been really emotional to record that one.  
  • susannjsusannj Posts: 664
    Only listened to the album once and totally agree it is a great album. Going to listen to it again in a little bit. Love it!
    -See the waves on distant shores, awaiting your arrival...

Stanhope, New Jersey 08-12-1992
    Randall's Island, New York 09-28-1996
    E. Rutherford, New Jersey 09-08-1998
    Wantagh, New York 08-24-2000
    New York, New York 07-09-2003
    E. Rutherford, New Jersey 06-03-2006
    New York, New York 05-21-2010
    Brooklyn, New York 10-19-2013
    New York, New York 05-01-2016
    New York, New York 09-11-2022
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,345
    mcgruff10 said:
    Being serious here, "on my way" is freaking brilliant, reminds me of a Beatles song.  I absolutely love it, ed's voice is perfect.  I could see them jamming the shit out of this.  I'm guessing that's ed's dad in the beginning of the song?  If so that must have been really emotional to record that one.  
    Agree.  I love that one.  
    hippiemom = goodness
  • I’m loving it….been soaking it all in since midnight last night.  Lots to take in…

Def hear some of the influences…Invincible feels like Peter Gabriel and Talking Heads (among others, no doubt).  Really like how playful “Echo Victor” is in this one.  Lyrically - it might be fairly simple and straightforward, but it doesn’t have to be complex to be compelling (my .02).  There’s something about that chorus, man…

There are def moments throughout the whole album that surprise, inspire, and reach you...  Grateful to have this.  

Thank you, EV and Earthlings!  (And thank you for Newark!!)

Can’t wait for Stone and PS2!!  It’s like Christmas in Feb.  Enjoy it, kids. 😉
    Invincible sounds like The Killers or some of those newer "making rock anthems" type bands. Unimaginative chorus that verge on cringy. 

Good and Evil is fun. 

Rose of Jericho too.
    I like Invincible after the cringeworthy beginning.  Reminds me of all those pop divas that talk about their song before they start signing......

But that's just my initial impression...I'll probably get used to it and won't think about it 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • I'm listening to the track by track on Sirius...my opinions of course

Invincible: Starts off a little strange but decent song. Probably better live than studio.
    Power of Right: Starts great...love it. Should have been a PJ song. I could do without the clapping.
    Long Way: No...not interested. I love that he loves it enough to write it though.
    Brother the Cloud: Good song...reminds me of Swallowed Whole. Could have been PJ. I don't care a lot for the bridge.
    Fallout Today: It's ok
    The Dark: Another ok song.
    The Haves: No...but I don't like any slow tunes. I can see why some people like it but it makes me want to jump out a window
    Good and Evil: Yeah...kick ass. Should have been PJ. QOTSA vibe big time with that riff.
    Rose of Jericho: I like the tempo...love the riff. 
    Try: I'll try to like this but I can't. That harmonica is irritating
    Picture: Ok...nice to collaborate
    Mrs Mills: Ok...another nice collaboration with one of the GOATs. Tries a little too much to sound like the Beatles
    On my Way: meh

Not a bad album. I would have a lot of skips but I really love a few of the songs

Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • I’m glad it’s getting mostly a positive reception.  I’m waiting until the fresh pressed vinyl arrives to listen.  I’ve only heard the first two singles so far 
  • I'm listening to the track by track on Sirius...my opinions of course

Invincible: Starts off a little strange but decent song. Probably better live than studio.
    Power of Right: Starts great...love it. Should have been a PJ song. I could do without the clapping.
    Long Way: No...not interested. I love that he loves it enough to write it though.
    Brother the Cloud: Good song...reminds me of Swallowed Whole. Could have been PJ. I don't care a lot for the bridge.
    Fallout Today: It's ok
    The Dark: Another ok song.
    The Haves: No...but I don't like any slow tunes. I can see why some people like it but it makes me want to jump out a window
    Good and Evil: Yeah...kick ass. Should have been PJ. QOTSA vibe big time with that riff.
    Rose of Jericho: I like the tempo...love the riff. 
    Try: I'll try to like this but I can't. That harmonica is irritating
    Picture: Ok...nice to collaborate
    Mrs Mills: Ok...another nice collaboration with one of the GOATs. Tries a little too much to sound like the Beatles
    On my Way: meh

Not a bad album. I would have a lot of skips but I really love a few of the songs

Woah QOTSA jumped out to me too when I first listened to Good and Evil - it's gotta be the heart pounding/pumping floor toms, classic QOTSA. Feels like a train running down the tracks (see Go with the Flow). 
    Milwaukee 2014
    MSG 2016 1&2
    Wrigley 2016 1&2
    Eddie Vedder Obama Farewell Address 2017
    Eddie Vedder Louisville, KY 2017
    London 2018 1
    Wrigley 2018 1&2
    St. Louis 2020
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,540
    Good Or Evil is fucking awesome
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

It’s a pretty good album overall. Happy to have more Vedder for sure. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • TravelarTravelar Kalamazoo, USA Posts: 3,383
    Definitely some good songs here. I've only been able to listen to it while working, so I'm not going to judge yet. Looking forward to putting some headphones on this weekend and getting a good immersion before I form too many opinions. . 
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,407
    Good Or Evil is fucking awesome
    Easily my favorite on the album
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    This is definitely the riot act of ev albums.  ;)
  • mcgruff10 said:
    No it  is not
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    edited February 2022
    mcgruff10 said:
    To me that’s great if it in fact is. Riot act is probably my favourite PJ album 
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,949

I have some recency bias too as I saw the tour… I was not into this album at all until I saw it live. That being said, I’m digging all the new songs, although unsure about the Elton song and Mrs. Mills is just ok. 

This is exactly where I'm at.  Admittedly did not like 2 of the first 3 songs...AT ALL.  Now having seen them performed live, they've grown on me much more.  It is a polarizing album.  Some songs I'm very much digging and some that I know I'll never listen to again.  Consensus seems to be the Elton John song is a one and done for many, and I'm in that camp.  Look forward to several more listens of the album as a whole though.
    On a side note, Andrew Watt is an absolute beast.  This kid can really play and is a great live performer.  I wouldn't be upset having him show up for some PJ gigs.  McCready and him playing together would be a treat.

• pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,049
    mcgruff10 said:
    No it  is not
    and the world is back spinning again LOL