Holy shit.. earthlings is very very GOOD

We’re obviously all Eddie fans here and expected a solid album from him and the earthlings band he assembled. 

That said, I am fucking Blown Away by how damn good this album is. I just finished my first full listen thru and I knew all the singles and liked them all a lot. But literally  every  single   song  is phenomenal. 

Lyrically, musically, one of the most interesting albums I’ve heard from anyone in a long time. 

Sure I’m biased, but it’s not as if I like anything he does no matter what. They captured some lightning in a bottle within these 48 mins.

I got to see the earthlings and Ed at ohana fest which was great but now I’m way more excited to see them in LA. What an album!!

for anyone reading this- what’s your fav track so far??   Cheers and see ya’ll in LA maybe!!

Comments

• BenzBenz Posts: 118
    On first listen I totally agree with this. Better than expected. So far i really like Invincible.
    Also was surprised by Try. Did not expect a Stevie Wonder collaboration like this :-)

Side note: My family said Invincible sounds like Coldplay and try like "Cotton Eye Joe" which is not a compliment in my household  :skull:

• Benz said:
    On first listen I totally agree with this. Better than expected. So far i really like Invincible.
    Also was surprised by Try. Did not expect a Stevie Wonder collaboration like this :-)

Side note: My family said Invincible sounds like Coldplay and try like "Cotton Eye Joe" which is not a compliment in my household  :skull:

Haha I could see that about cotton eye joe! I like Try but maybe one of the “weaker” songs.

as for invincible I love it! I actually think it reminds me a bit of Pearl Jam’s last album gigaton, although the atmospheric qualities of it and “aaahhhahhh” does sound coldplay-esque I suppose. But I actually like some Coldplay too haha 

and wow when I got to the end and heard Eddie’s late fathers voice it gave me fucking chills. He sounds so much like Eddie!! Or rather vice versa haha 

But overall what a tremendous fucking album man. Gonna be on my repeat for a long time to come.

now to learn these lyrics so I can sing along at the show!
  • Also it’s hard to call this a true “solo” album because of the earthlings band and other writers on the tracks.

that being said- I can’t believe I’m saying this- but

this is the best solo album Eddie has made. 

And into the wild and uke are my two all-timers.

sheesh Eddie, you outdid yourself again.
  • axellaire8axellaire8 Belgium Posts: 235
    Benz said:

:o Brutal :) For me it's sound like Peter Gabriel in a certain way. Invicible is my favorite by now but all the album is very good except for one song that I don't like. 

1996: Paris/2006: Paris/2007: Werchter/2010: Werchter/2012: Amsterdam 1 and Werchter/2014: Amsterdam 1&2 and Werchter/2018: Amsterdam 1&2 and Werchter/2022: Werchter and Amsterdam 2

EV: 2012: Amsterdam/2017: Antwerpen/2019: Bruxelles

• Benz said:

:o Brutal :) For me it's sound like Peter Gabriel in a certain way. Invicible is my favorite by now but all the album is very good except for one song that I don't like. 
    Peter Gabriel came to my mind as well. Two German reviews compared the song to - famous German singer - Herbert Grönemeyer.
  • After one listen I think it's really solid. Invincible is an early favourite, definitely Peter Gabriel influenced, fucking Coldplay, seriously!!!  I didn't dislike any of it, though I think The Haves and Mrs Mills outstayed their welcome for me. 
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,118
    edited February 2022
    Listened to it (only) twice. Don't really see where the highs are? Wordy and the songs go on. Sometimes I feel like the sound of the songs are generic poprock and doesn't mesh well with Eddies vocals lying on top. I liked the Elton duet because it was nicely poppy, upbeat and Eltons voice was a nice addition to Eddies and offered some change.

Liked the mood of the last short song-thing with his dad.

Will grow on me. And some stuff are nice. 

BUT TRY WORKING WITH BED AND BREAKFAST OWNER AND MÖTLEY PRIDUCER TOM WERMAN NEXT TIME.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • I agree with this opinion so much :).
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,314
    Not a fan after the first listen. I just can’t get past the production. It’s pretty generic and way too pop for my taste. 
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,773
    Also it’s hard to call this a true “solo” album because of the earthlings band and other writers on the tracks.

It's still a solo album. You don't have to write every aspect of the songs for it to be a solo album. 
    I miss igotid88
  • The producer is Andrew watt so that’s where the pop influence is coming from. They’re saying he may produce pjs next album so brace yourselves haha

personally I don’t mind the change in direction because imo it stays true to Eddie’s senses while also bringing in a newer sound. Change is good.

and again, it’s not really a solo effort, this is his new side band. I appreciate the catchy grooves and substantive lyrics
  • Listened to it (only) twice. Don't really see where the highs are? Wordy and the songs go on. Sometimes I feel like the sound of the songs are generic poprock and doesn't mesh well with Eddies vocals lying on top. I liked the Elton duet because it was nicely poppy, upbeat and Eltons voice was a nice addition to Eddies and offered some change.

Liked the mood of the last short song-thing with his dad.

Will grow on me. And some stuff are nice. 

BUT TRY WORKING WITH BED AND BREAKFAST OWNER AND MÖTLEY PRIDUCER TOM WERMAN NEXT TIME.
    I’m curious your take on gigaton if you think this album is wordy… love gigaton for what it is but talk about some songs that go on haha 

And man if good vs evil doesn’t give you a shot of energy/testosterone/head bopping idk what will on this album 
  • igotid88 said:
    Also it’s hard to call this a true “solo” album because of the earthlings band and other writers on the tracks.

It's still a solo album. You don't have to write every aspect of the songs for it to be a solo album. 
    Sure. But it’s “and the earthlings”. Just saying Into the wild and uke was literally just Ed and Ed (key word) alone. 

That said this solo album is amazing 
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,773
    igotid88 said:

Sure. But it’s “and the earthlings”. Just saying Into the wild and uke was literally just Ed and Ed (key word) alone. 

This album doesn't have The Earthlings on the title. He just named them for the tour
    I miss igotid88
  • igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:

This album doesn't have The Earthlings on the title. He just named them for the tour
    Fair enough lol but that’s them playing on the album. And that’s them that helped write every song. 

But I’m with ya, this is no doubt still an Eddie solo album, as it should be. He’s the main creative force. Which is why it’s so damn good 
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,775
    After hearing long way & the haves as the 1st singles I’m pleasantly surprised how the rest of the album is

i like those 2 songs, but they seamed like Ed was driving in a similar lane as years before

nice variety on the record 

• SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,145
    After first listen I like the album. I’m curious to see if I grow to love it, but I think this would have been better dropped to 10 songs. 
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Its  a no thank you from me. @mcgruff10 this is right  up your  street
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    Really digging the second half of the album. "Try" might be my favorite after the first listen. 
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,145
    Its  a no thank you from me. @mcgruff10 this is right  up your  street
    He’s going to hate this album, isn’t he? Lol 
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Its poorly put together.  The  faster  songs i can listen to but the slow ones are all the  same
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,342

Recency bias?

Still listening through....I love some, like some and meh some so far.  Will wait a bit to see, but I don't see this as anywhere close to ITW.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,342
    LukinFan said:
    Really digging the second half of the album. "Try" might be my favorite after the first listen. 
    I am really digging Try....I wonder what I will think in a bit when the shine wears off...but pretty cool.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • GibsonGibson Posts: 2,633
    I wanted to be bitter as per the whole PJ tour delay stuff, but this album is incredibly good. Definitely my fav solo work. Although I will say the tune with Sir Elton is my least favourite.
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024: Seattle 1&2, Noblesville, Wrigley 1&2

• Interesting group of songs, good feeling after 1 listen. I like the punkier songs a lot. Not feeling fallout or mrs mills but the rest sounds good. Rose of J and good/evil are awesome. Brother the cloud is the clear stand out and on my way is cool. Invincible is a sweet opener. Lots of variety. I’ll listen more after drinking some beers after my 9 hours of zoom meetings and dealing with complaining  customers all day. 
  • Definitely need more time on this one. I actually had a hard time getting through the entire album. It’s all over the place. 
  • Definitely need more time on this one. I actually had a hard time getting through the entire album. It’s all over the place. 
    All over the  place indeed
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Gvn2flyGvn2fly Posts: 753
    I'll never have the need or desire to listen to the song with Elton John again.  
  • OceansJennyOceansJenny Posts: 3,393
    edited February 2022

Recency bias?

Still listening through....I love some, like some and meh some so far.  Will wait a bit to see, but I don't see this as anywhere close to ITW.
    Somebody did their required Unconscious Biases training! 

I have some recency bias too as I saw the tour… I was not into this album at all until I saw it live. That being said, I’m digging all the new songs, although unsure about the Elton song and Mrs. Mills is just ok. 

But the close out song with his dad - holy shit. The call and response. Knowing how Ed feels via Release and other songs. It’s beautiful.
    Post edited by OceansJenny on
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • I can't believe Ed released The Haves as a single now that I hear the rest.  My least favorite song by a wide margin.  Whew.