Holy shit.. earthlings is very very GOOD

Comments

• SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 6,436
    edited February 2022
    PJNB said:
    Brother the Cloud is 100% about CC. And also his own brother.
    I thought he confirmed it was not Cornell.  Not sure where I read that now though. 
    Yeah I think there are reasons he is not publicly saying it’s about CC. Usually when people ask about the song he generalizes or mentions his brother. The lyrics plus the NYT article and especially opening the song live talking about suicide tells me CC is the primary subject. I don’t doubt his own brother is in there though but I don’t think his brother’s climbing accident would solicit the emotional anger in the song. That is my take.

I dunno, the death of my brother elicits more feeling than that of friends... but whatEV, my attributions were from EV interviews, rather than the masses.

Regardless, the song is heart-wrenching with him searching "the sky for a glimpse of his blue eyes".

Full article at MOJO.
    Post edited by Spunkie on
  • OceansJennyOceansJenny Posts: 3,393
    edited February 2022
    Oh, understand it was not easy for my friend
    No promises even to yourself cannot be kept
    Enlarge the hole in my heart, rising river in the dark
    Erodes the shore 'til our shores were far apart

We know Comes Then Goes is about CC even though EV won’t claim it. I am seeing similar themes here. I feel like if it weren’t for the estate EV could be more honest but won’t get into that.

Either way agree it’s a great song!
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • AVG75AVG75 Posts: 22
    edited February 2022

Post edited by AVG75 on
    ^ ugh Ed voice comments make me sad. But I also love Chad and his energy. I hope I can get tickets for RHCP this summer at a reasonable price and I am most excited to see Chad. =)
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • WW187806WW187806 Long Island, NY Posts: 558
    WW187806 said:
    Wasn't planning on weighing in, and dont want to in full now. Lil background... fan since '92 became big fan '96, and with Yield superfan. 50+ shows. Have a bunch of posters, but won't fight anyone for it or stand in line for days. Have all the vinyl, but not a vinyl freak. Almost any interview, or release Ed or Pearl Jam have done I've had the ears open. Just saw both NYC. Ive heard the singles, and Invincible. After the live shows (still haven't wholly reviewed that, tough going into NYC on work nights and then doing it again, and bringing it) I thought... how do I want to listen to this album. Wasn't leaked... There's just not alot of good shit getting released, and after COVID with the 5 year wait for Gigaton... I wanted to make hearing the album/songs for the first time cool. Have some fun with it!

*First, wholeheartedly agree with thought EVERYONE is entitled to an opinion on here (politely) or what are we doing?
    My thought before going through this discussion was Brother is greatness, Long Way a classy tribute to Petty esp. with Benmont on it. So cool, its a fluffy song, but Ed sounds great, and its for Tom, really. Haves I felt he was trying to sing, I wanted to like a ballad (haven't really had one, an no not Sirens!). I get it, its genuine, from the heart, I'll still give it some listens. Now, Invincible blew me away. I loved the intro, the lyrics, and the band is just a storm! They sound tight! But it does have some of that production gloss... 

Now I am going to pick up the record tomorrow at a record store in person, and do like I did when I was 15 and hear some songs in the car. Until then, gonna keep lookin at the interviews etc. Following through all of the articles, podcasts!, you'd be a dummy not to realize Ed was putting himself out there. Seems as if the cloud over his head has moved a bit, and there's some light shining through. Just overall, in a good place, and hearing the live songs once I know its upbeat, and I think its gonna be good. For now another new song tonight, maybe two from iTunes. Check back in on you Earthlings later. Looks like consensus here was that the minority thinks its great. Rest like some stuff, some like none at all. Interesting. I will say as a parting note that NYC 2 was one of the best live shows I have ever seen, lucky to be there.

mic drop
    This wasn’t weighing in “in full”? How long will that post be??? ;)
    that make u feel good, u spiteful hog
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 6,436
    Oh, understand it was not easy for my friend

We know Comes Then Goes is about CC even though EV won’t claim it. I am seeing similar themes here. I feel like if it weren’t for the estate EV could be more honest but won’t get into that.

Fair. But, how singing a song about another person factors into estate is beyond me.
  • Oh, understand it was not easy for my friend

I'd be surprised if there are many friends who Eddie has that considers a brother AND committed suicide AND "I can hear him sing". Usually the obvious answer is the correct one.
  • Brother  was always  clearly about his brother. People are obsessed  with  him and cornell.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Attaway77Attaway77 Posts: 3,034
    I dig it ... It's just a journey without any explanation owed to anyone that's all over the place. It's refreshing to hear some music all in one place somewhere in-between the atmosphere. An album you can play that you don't have to explain, just listen..... very cool.... Eddie V, doing what he does best...
    1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

E.V. - 2008 Berkeley (4/8) 2012 Austin (11/9,11/12)
    Temple of the Dog - 2016 Upper Darby

• Pretty grateful to have gigaton, flag day soundtrack and earthling over the last 2 years. And I think Eddie still sounds great. Glass half full here. 
  • BrainofBGABrainofBGA Posts: 4,159
    Pretty grateful to have gigaton, flag day soundtrack and earthling over the last 2 years. And I think Eddie still sounds great. Glass half full here. 
    This 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • JPPJ84JPPJ84 Posts: 3,462
    JPPJ84 said:
    Not a fan of the album after one listen. Enjoyed Try the most. That is one weirdly fun harmonica 
    You and I are like two peas in a pod. 

Just change Try for Picture. Or that good vs evil song. 
    Haha, I do quite like Picture ;)
  • The mere existence of this album caught me off guard when Long Way was released. As a guy who was raised on Petty, I took to that song right away. The Haves didn’t land with me but I dug Brother the Cloud. That being said, I didn’t know what to expect from this record. Not caring for the second single much and a huge change in production style had me prepared for an album I was only lukewarm about. And perhaps worse. 
    I put in my headphones and went for a run and hit play. The very first notes of Invincible were not at all what I expected and I got the Peter Gabriel/Talking Heads vibes that have already been mentioned for sure. Have to say with this and Dance of the Clairvoyants, I’m enjoying Eddie exploring his 80’s influences. 
    This album sounds shiny and huge to me. Eddie isn’t shying away from melody or big choruses. In fact he seems to be seeking them out, but not in a cheap or pandering way. 
    I fully expected this to be more mid tempo but was surprised by how upbeat it is and how much it rocks (relative term, I know, but I’m nearing 40 and have 2 kids. This easily falls in the “fucking rocks” territory as far as I’m concerned). The weakest link for me is still The Haves, but coupled with the context of the album as well as the inspiration for the song from the Springsteen interview, it’s grown on me at least a little. This was a long ass way of saying I love this record. Pearl Jam has been my favorite band since I was 10 years old. I’ve gotten older, just as they have and I shouldn’t have doubted Eddie. After a couple times through with this record, I’m excited to see what Watt brings to the next PJ record, and hopefully we don’t have to wait too long to find out. 

Also, the new Spoon record came out today and it kicks ass too.
  • Holy moly this post blew up!! 

Funny to see so much negative feedback but hey can’t please everyone, especially old school pj fans I guess haha 

I’m only 27 and have been a super fan since 17 so maybe I’m not so jaded about Eddie’s voice, or how it’s too soft sounding, or how it’s all over the place, or too poppy or whatever else.

To me it’s just a master class by an aged rocker who still has a lot to offer this world musically. His voice is still great to me, the lyrics are unbelievably refreshing to me, and the sound is both unique and new while also uniquely Eddie.

But then again Eddie and company are literally my childhood heroes, always will be. I love these men, I love their music, and I love this forum for allowing us fans to debate all this shit!!

So thank you PJ, thank you moderators and pj workers, and mostly.. thank you mr Eddie fucking Jerome vedder!!!

Funny to see so much negative feedback but hey can’t please everyone, especially old school pj fans I guess haha 

I’m only 27 and have been a super fan since 17 so maybe I’m not so jaded about Eddie’s voice, or how it’s too soft sounding, or how it’s all over the place, or too poppy or whatever else.

To me it’s just a master class by an aged rocker who still has a lot to offer this world musically. His voice is still great to me, the lyrics are unbelievably refreshing to me, and the sound is both unique and new while also uniquely Eddie.

But then again Eddie and company are literally my childhood heroes, always will be. I love these men, I love their music, and I love this forum for allowing us fans to debate all this shit!!

So thank you PJ, thank you moderators and pj workers, and mostly.. thank you mr Eddie fucking Jerome vedder!!!

I'm with you, friend. Grateful that he's still going strong and making the music he wants to make.
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,258

Does anyone know who’s playing on the tracks with Ed? Is it his Earthlings band? I grabbed it on iTunes so I don’t have the liner notes. 

Here's the EV_CDPackage_Copy from Universal Music's Asset Promo. Which also included all the lyrics to the album. :) 

1. INVINCIBLE
    Written by Eddie Vedder,
    Andrew Watt, Josh Klinghoffer
    Eddie Vedder: Vocals, Background Vocals, Guitar, Keyboards
    Chad Smith: Drums
    Andrew Watt: Bass, Guitar, Keyboards
    Josh Klinghoffer: Piano, Guitar,
    Keyboards, Percussion

2. POWER OF RIGHT
    Written by Eddie Vedder,
    Eddie Vedder: Vocals
    Andrew Watt: Bass, Guitar
    Josh Klinghoffer: Bass, Piano,
    Guitar, Percussion

3. LONG WAY
    Written by Eddie Vedder, Andrew Watt, Josh Klinghoffer, Chad Smith
    Eddie Vedder: Vocals,
    Background Vocals, Guitar
    Harper Vedder: Background Vocals
    Chad Smith: Drums, Percussion
    Andrew Watt: Bass, Guitar,
    Background Vocals
    Josh Klinghoffer: Piano, Keyboards, Guitar
    Benmont Tench: Hammond Organ

4. BROTHER THE CLOUD
    Written by Eddie Vedder, Andrew Watt, Josh Klinghoffer, Chad Smith
    Eddie Vedder: Vocals, Background Vocals
    Background Vocals
    Josh Klinghoffer: Guitar

5. FALLOUT TODAY
    Written by Eddie Vedder, Andrew Watt,
    Josh Klinghoffer, Chad Smith
    Eddie Vedder: Vocals, Guitar
    Chad Smith: Drums, Percussion
    Background Vocals
    Josh Klinghoffer: Piano, Organ, Guitar, Background Vocals

6. THE DARK
    Andrew Watt: Bass, Guitar, Percussion, Background Vocals
    Josh Klinghoffer: Piano, Keyboards

7. THE HAVES
    Written by Eddie Vedder,
    Eddie Vedder: Vocals, Drums
    Andrew Watt: Bass, Guitar, Percussion
    Josh Klinghoffer: Piano, Guitar, Keyboards

8. GOOD AND EvIL
    Eddie Vedder: Vocals, Ukelin
    Andrew Watt: Guitar
    Josh Klinghoffer: Bass, Keyboards

9. ROSE OF JERICHO
    Andrew Watt: Bass
    Josh Klinghoffer: Piano, Guitar,
    Keyboards, Percussion

10. TRY
    Stevie Wonder: Harmonica
    Olivia Vedder: Background Vocals
    Andrew Watt: Bass, Percussion,
    Background Vocals
    Josh Klinghoffer: Guitar

11. PICTURE
    Written by Eddie Vedder,
    Elton John, Andrew Watt
    Elton John: Vocals,
    Background Vocals, Piano
    Abe Laboriel Jr.: Drums, Percussion
    Andrew Watt: Bass, Guitar, Drums
    Benmont Tench: Hammond Organ

12. MRS. MILLS
    Written by Eddie Vedder,
    Eddie Vedder: Vocals, Piano
    Ringo Starr: Drums, Percussion
    Andrew Watt: Bass, Guitar
    Josh Klinghoffer: Keyboards

13. ON MY WAY
    Written by Eddie Vedder,
    Eddie Vedder: Vocals, Guitar, Percussion
    Edward Severson Jr.: Vocals
    Danny Long: Piano
    Andrew Watt: Guitar, Bass,
    Drum Machine, Keyboards
    Josh Klinghoffer: Keyboards

Produced by: Andrew Watt
    Lyrics by: Eddie Vedder
    Engineered by: Paul LaMalfa and Marco Sonzini
    Additional Engineer: John Burton
    Recorded and Tracked at: Gold Tooth Music (Los Angeles, CA)
    and Jump Site Studios (Seattle, WA)
    Mixed by: Serban Ghenea
    Mixed at: MixStar Studios (Virginia Beach, VA)
    Engineer for Mix: Bryce Bordone
    Mix Engineer for “Long Way” and “The Haves”: John Hanes
    Mix Assistant for “Long Way” and “The Haves”: Bryce Bordone
    Mastered by: Randy Merrill at Sterling Sound (Edgewater, NJ)

Strings and Horns arranged by David Campbell and Andrew Watt
    Conductor: David Campbell
    Orchestra Contractor: Suzie Katayama
    Orchestra Engineer: Steve Churchyard
    Orchestra Assistant Engineer: Scott Moore
    Music Preparation: Bettie Ross
    Violins: Alyssa Park (Concertmaster), Tammy Hatwan, Sara Parkins, Josefina Vergara
    Cellos: Jacob Braun (Principal), Paula Hochhalter
    Piccolo Trumpet: Thomas Hooten
    French Horn: Dylan Hart
    Flute: Steve Kujala
    Clarinet: Joshua Ranz

Album Concept by Jerome Turner
    Layout Design and Earthling Typeface by Jerome Turner and Joe Spix
    Photography by Danny Clinch
    All photos taken at Casa Batllo’ - Barcelona, Spain

Fellow Earthlings..., as always,
    Thank YOU.

• RW8297RW8297 Posts: 1,610
    Gave it a listen today.  Made it two songs in.  Immediately cancelling my vinyl preorder and possibly trading off my first press thingy. Won’t be listening to this ever again.
    try again. start at track 4, skip tracks 7 and 11. 
    I honestly don’t know if I can put myself through it again, lol!  It’s just so boring. Just emailed 10c to cancel my vinyl order. I’ll wait a few days and try to give it a start at track 4.  Personally I’m just so meh towards him these days, feel like all the reasons I fell so hard into these guys in the early 90’s is gone and the new stuff just doesn’t rock at all- definitely not interested in Pearl Jam or Eddie leaning towards pop.  If they don’t rock or lean alternative, I just can’t do it.

I feel exactly the same.

• Brother  was always  clearly about his brother. People are obsessed  with  him and cornell.
    Yes.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Invincible sounds like The Killers or some of those newer "making rock anthems" type bands. Unimaginative chorus that verge on cringy. 

Good and Evil is fun. 

Rose of Jericho too.
    After listening to the full album i think Invincible and the first few track are really good, i like everything up to G & E and RoJ. Mrs Mills sounds like a Beatles song, the Elton track is too Eltony.Overall, Im happy Ive ordered this album but still prefer Water on the Road/Into the Wild music. I noticed this album and Flag Day are finally for sale in the PJ UK shop for £10.99 after Id found them both at a reasonable price on ebay a few weeks ago. Typical!
    Holy moly this post blew up!! 

Hey man good to see another younger fan! Glad you like the album. :)
  • Edved82Edved82 Posts: 1,279
    I actually didn’t expect to like this because I didn’t like the singles and wasn’t all that into Into The Wild or Ukulele Songs anyway. But I really like it. Easily my favorite of the three Ed solo albums. I’m just not into a guy strumming his guitar (or for that matter, his ukulele) and singing. But this has some fun arrangements and instrumentations. And riffs for that matter. Pleasantly surprised. 

Does anyone know who’s playing on the tracks with Ed? Is it his Earthlings band? I grabbed it on iTunes so I don’t have the liner notes. 

Thank you!! Looks like it was Ed and Andrew, with lots of Josh and Chad. I bet it was fun for Chad to step outside the norm as well. The man seems to just love to drum. He’s my type of energy.

Probably nice for him to play with Josh again as well. Josh is just a super musician.
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,816
    I’ve had multiple friends reach out to me yesterday telling me how much they enjoy the new EV album.  These are all friends who have no interest in Pearl Jam.  Earthling seems to be a hit with the “non PJ” crowd.
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
    2024: Las Vegas I / Las Vegas II / New York City I / New York City II / Philly I / Philly II / Baltimore

Hey man good to see another younger fan! Glad you like the album. :)
    Second that. 
  • Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,816
    Holy moly this post blew up!! 

Agreed, great to see another young fan enjoying the album as much as I am.  I’m 29, started with PJ in 2006 and started following shows in 2010 at 18
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
    2024: Las Vegas I / Las Vegas II / New York City I / New York City II / Philly I / Philly II / Baltimore
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,775
    Just took a 40 min car ride
    Had a nice cappuccino
    was a lil jacked up on caffeine
    got really into the record, was great. Being at the 2nd Beacon show and seeing how good these sound live is affirming that this album is a gem in my eyes.
  • 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited February 2022
    Kudos to all the younger fans!  You have impeccable taste 😉.
  • Delight in our youth
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,949
    This thread makes me feel old suddenly.  ;)
  • Habit4meHabit4me Posts: 155
    AVG75 said:

Ed can't sing like he used to, all of his Verses are mostly him just talking in a breathy voice, same on Gigaton, it's a little tired
    the Golden Baritone is long gone... Two packs of Cigarettes a day has taken it's toll... 

Damn! Is he really smoking that much per day? Not to mention he probably drinks 2 full bottles of wine per show. Ugh.... 

As for my take on the album. Gave it a listen last night with my wife. We both kinda came away with the same opinion. A good song or two,  Some decent songs, some cheesy songs, and some more cheesy songs. 

It's just all over the place. Did they throw darts on a wall to determine the track listing??

Yep...the return of Jerome
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana