CoVid19 Virus : Impact on PJ Spring & Summer Tours

Comments

• jeffbrjeffbr Posts: 7,177
    link93 said:
    The way I look at it is if you are under 50 you probably don't have much to worry about. 50 and over specifically 70 and over it's a different story.
    50 or younger is the majority of the fan base.  Make a statement that if you have existing conditions consider not attending, make sure people understand possible risks, etc.  Leave the decision making of whether to attend or not up to the fans. Offer refunds or encourage using the fan to fan to sell the tickets if risk outweighs reward.  Do the shows, take precautions, go about life. That's the way I see it anyway at this point. If this gets way out of hand with case severity,deaths, things would of course change. 
    Plenty of us are the age of the band members, which puts them a few years removed from being in the high risk category of 60+ years old. I expect they'll take themselves into consideration in addition to the safety of their fans. In fact, I think they'll take themselves and their personal health situations into consideration above their fans, which they should. Some members (Mike) also have underlying health conditions (Chrons) so I wouldn't be surprised or blame them if they decide to pull the plug and postpone until we have a handle on this. 
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,322
    stanudes said:
    He’s right ya know… 
    Panic is dumb. Precaution is not. 
  • jeffbrjeffbr Posts: 7,177
    stanudes said:
    He’s right ya know… 
    Sure, use inflammatory words like panic, and it is hard to disagree. Replace panic with concern, and he's wrong.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • MelzombieMelzombie Posts: 200
    If they do cancel, I wonder if they will cancel the entire tour or just certain dates?
    I have a flight booked with American Airlines to St. Louis and I have to figure out what their refund policy is.
    Jesus. I pray that things to go continue as planned, but it doesn't look good. I hope I'm wrong. 

• KN219077KN219077 Posts: 1,071
    I live in BFE montana and people are worried about it here, that’s panic. In Seattle, that would be precaution. They were out of toilet paper at costco and hand sanitizer is wiped out everywhere in a state with no known cases.
  • gotthebottlegotthebottle Posts: 2,642
    link93 said:
    The way I look at it is if you are under 50 you probably don't have much to worry about. 50 and over specifically 70 and over it's a different story.
    50 or younger is the majority of the fan base.  Make a statement that if you have existing conditions consider not attending, make sure people understand possible risks, etc.  Leave the decision making of whether to attend or not up to the fans. Offer refunds or encourage using the fan to fan to sell the tickets if risk outweighs reward.  Do the shows, take precautions, go about life. That's the way I see it anyway at this point. If this gets way out of hand with case severity,deaths, things would of course change. 
    That isn't true. I'm same age as EV and we're 55...so don't generalize about the age of the fan base. 
    Once more people get tested you will see how prevalent the virus is. And it IS TRUE that symptoms are mild in most healthy people. But it's the spread throughout the community exponentially that occurs when one infected person comes in contact with a large group. 
    I want the shows to go on as much as anyone.
  • myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    edited March 2020
    link93 said:
    That isn't true. I'm same age as EV and we're 55...so don't generalize about the age of the fan base. 

Exactly!... The entire band is over 50 now, so not a great debate strategy for a band celebrating their 30th year... haha
    Post edited by myoung321 on
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• whitepantswhitepants Posts: 727
    MF117973 said:
    link93 said:
    Not necessarily. There are many here who are around the same age as the band - mid 50's.

Raises hand.
    ~*~Me and Hippiemom dranketh the red wine in Cleveland 2003~*~

First PJ Show: March 20, 1994 | Ann Arbor | Crisler Arena
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,838
    I will be concerned for the PJ tour being cancelled if other artists start to cancel arena shows.  So far it’s only been the massive festivals.  I still think they should make an announcement that they’re planning to play/not play though.  
    I don't know.  Still fluid.  They could announce concerts as still on as of today but we already know that.  Until they can say with certainty the shows are on then any comment is worthless.
    MF117973 said:
    link93 said:
    Not necessarily. There are many here who are around the same age as the band - mid 50's.

Raises hand.
    Hey! ... ::hand up:: 

Best case scenario: Few weeks of shows postponed, maybe until end of March ...wait and see attititude on the April shows?
    I'm guessing there are a few "Who blinks first" going on...   Who's responsible for the financial aspects of delays or cancellations? Venues, Promotors, Bands??  ... Since most of the shows are at NBA arenas I'd keep an eye on the NBA. So far, games as normal. 

• PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,429
    Best case scenario: Few weeks of shows postponed, maybe until end of March ...wait and see attititude on the April shows?
    Why would you think they cancel the Canadian dates?
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,429
    myoung321 said:
    I'm guessing there are a few "Who blinks first" going on...   Who's responsible for the financial aspects of delays or cancellations? Venues, Promotors, Bands??  ... Since most of the shows are at NBA arenas I'd keep an eye on the NBA. So far, games as normal. 
    San Jose Sharks and SAP Center are not budging.They are going ahead with 3 weekend events. 
  • RockMamaRockMama Deep Creek Lake, MD Posts: 478
    There are plenty of us that are the same age as Boom. And we have even older family members we will be going home to. I would feel badly if I brought the virus into my very rural community after traveling to shows 106 to109. On the other hand, I selfishly want to see Pearl Jam and listen to their new music.  What a situation! The next week or two will hopefully give us more insight. Let us hope the leaders of our country tell us some truth.
    107 total First-Summerfest, Milwaukee '95
    Most recent: 2018 Stadium shows: Seattle 2, Missoula, Fenway 1 and 2; 2022: Oakland 1 and 2
  • MD190661MD190661 Posts: 394
    PJNB said:
    myoung321 said:
    San Jose Sharks and SAP Center are not budging.They are going ahead with 3 weekend events. 
    Kiss is playing the Oracle in Oakland tonight. I don't believe that has been cancelled. 
    10/1/94, 6/22/95, 6/24/95, 9/16/96, 7/22/98, 10/21/01, 6/1/03, 10/25/03, 10/26/03, 9/1/05, 7/15/06, 7/18/06, 8/28/09, 10/07/09, 10/3/12, 11/26/13, 6/18/18, 8/10/18, 5/12/22, 5/13/22, 5/13/24, 5/25/24

• GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,704
    RockMama said:
    There are plenty of us that are the same age as Boom. And we have even older family members we will be going home to. I would feel badly if I brought the virus into my very rural community after traveling to shows 106 to109. On the other hand, I selfishly want to see Pearl Jam and listen to their new music.  What a situation! The next week or two will hopefully give us more insight. Let us hope the leaders of our country tell us some truth.
    Yes. I had plans to visit my parents after the Baltimore show since they live in Maryland. However, I changed my plans to visit them before the show since I don't want to see them after being in a large crowd. They are both in their mid to late 70s. I would feel terrible if I exposed them to something. I may even wait to visit them until after all of this settles down.

• MD190661 said:
    PJNB said:
    myoung321 said:
    Kiss is playing the Oracle in Oakland tonight. I don't believe that has been cancelled. 

They are old as fuck, good for them for not feeding the frenzy.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    MD190661 said:
    PJNB said:
    myoung321 said:

They are old as fuck, good for them for not feeding the frenzy.

well damn.... The CDC just said "old fucks" should stay home..haha

New CDC guidance says older adults should 'stay at home as much as possible' due to coronavirus -- https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/06/health/coronavirus-older-people-social-distancing/index.html

• Exactly!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • MF117973 said:
    link93 said:

Yup. I'm early 50's with some fairly minor underlying health issues. Husband is pushing 60. Hoping to hit our 50th show at MSG (if we can somehow get into the Apollo) Flying to Toronto for the kickoff - hoping it actually happens.
    2003 Spectrum, Camden 2, Holmdel 2004 Reading, PA 2005 Philly 2006 Hartford, Camden 1&2, E. Rutherford 1&2 2008 Camden 1&2, MSG 1&2  2009 Spectrum 1,2,3,4  2010 Hartford, Newark, MSG 1&2 2013 Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Brooklyn 1&2, Philly 1&2,  Baltimore 2014 Leeds, Cincinnati  2015 GCF  2016 Sunrise, Miami, Hampton, Philly 1&2, MSG 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2017 RHoF Induction 2018 Seattle 1&2 Fenway 1&2 2021 Sea Hear Now 2022 Hamilton, Toronto, MSG, Camden 2023 Indy 2024 Indy, MSG 1&2, Philly 1&2, Baltimore

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,267
    Sarava said:
    mace1229 said:
    Sarava said:
    mace1229 said:
    MD190661 said:
    I am not one to panic, but I have been stocking up on things like tp, rice, beans, pasta, canned sauces, frozen veggies (which we never buy), vitamins, advil and a few other things. Not huge amounts, but enough in case things go sideways for a few weeks. Basically every day this week I've made a run for some items. Nothing we won't use or eat, but if we are quarantined or things get bad, I want to be at least a bit prepared. I'm in CA and I'm guessing schools will be closed by the end of the month and people won't be commuting to work, so a panic mindset will set in and I want to be a bit ahead of it. I hope I'm wrong, of course. I also hope we all get to see PJ this spring.
    This is what I don't get. Why? I guarantee you hundreds, probably thousands of kids in California have the flu right now and are sitting in class spreading it. If these measures aren't an over reaction for coronavirus because 1 person has now died and a few dozen are infected, then why not do it for the flu too?
    Shutting down schools and public events seems very extreme at this point. 
    I would imagine who thinks this is worth shutting down a school now probably doesn't leave their bubble-house during the months of November-April to be safe.
    The CDC and doctors have been telling the population to prepare for *possible* severe normal everyday life changes. If you or others want to ignore their advice, then do that. But other people are probably better off listening to doctors and experts over some random dude on the internet who isn't qualified to give advice about these things.
    Okay, so explain to me why we don't do the same thing every year when we know 100% for sure 20 million people will get the flu and 20,000 will die from it?
    I've asked several times and haven't seen one answer.

My answer is is because this is something new. People freak out when it is new. We are used to the flu, so it doesn't concern us.  You don't have to be an expert to know that 20 million is a bigger number.
    I think I saw that someone who gets the flu has a 1 in 800 chance of dying? The coronavirus thus far, as far as we know is somewhere in the 1 in 30 to 1 in 40 people die range. That makes it sound about 20x more lethal than the standard flu that we all know and have probably had at some point.

Now there's obvious variables...did a lot more people get coronavirus than we know, thus the mortality rate is lower than is being reported? Maybe...hopefully. It's odd how some countries have very high death rates (China, Iran, Italy), while South Korea has a less than 1% death rate the last I heard. That might be explained by South Korea testing massive amounts of people, thus possibly flagging people with the virus who aren't getting all that sick. Where maybe the other countries are only testing people in bad shape already? Who knows.

Now this new virus its just starting to spread everywhere. Obviously we hope it doesn't spread as much as the flu, but this is an unknown as you said.

I do like one thing about the people panicking. You can't find sanitizing wipes or hand sanitizers anywhere near where I live. But if people are using these items, then good. That is the type of behavior that can get us past thing whole thing.

But in the end. I'm not an expert. I'm just spewing crap I've read or seen. People should get their advice from doctors, not people like you or I.
    I get that 1 in 30. But that doesn’t matter to me. That’s like saying bazookas are the  main gun problem because 100% of the people shot with a bazooka die, but only 30% of those shot with a hand gun die. So guns aren’t the problem, bazookas are.
    If you catch corona you have a higher likelihood of dying. But still more people got the flu and more people died from it. In my book that makes it more deadly. 
    PJNB said:
    Because they are coming up first and many people from US will be traveling there. 
  • mace1229 said:
    Sarava said:
    mace1229 said:
    Sarava said:
    mace1229 said:
    MD190661 said:
    I am not one to panic, but I have been stocking up on things like tp, rice, beans, pasta, canned sauces, frozen veggies (which we never buy), vitamins, advil and a few other things. Not huge amounts, but enough in case things go sideways for a few weeks. Basically every day this week I've made a run for some items. Nothing we won't use or eat, but if we are quarantined or things get bad, I want to be at least a bit prepared. I'm in CA and I'm guessing schools will be closed by the end of the month and people won't be commuting to work, so a panic mindset will set in and I want to be a bit ahead of it. I hope I'm wrong, of course. I also hope we all get to see PJ this spring.
    This is what I don't get. Why? I guarantee you hundreds, probably thousands of kids in California have the flu right now and are sitting in class spreading it. If these measures aren't an over reaction for coronavirus because 1 person has now died and a few dozen are infected, then why not do it for the flu too?
    I would imagine who thinks this is worth shutting down a school now probably doesn't leave their bubble-house during the months of November-April to be safe.
    The CDC and doctors have been telling the population to prepare for *possible* severe normal everyday life changes. If you or others want to ignore their advice, then do that. But other people are probably better off listening to doctors and experts over some random dude on the internet who isn't qualified to give advice about these things.
    Okay, so explain to me why we don't do the same thing every year when we know 100% for sure 20 million people will get the flu and 20,000 will die from it?

My answer is is because this is something new. People freak out when it is new. We are used to the flu, so it doesn't concern us.  You don't have to be an expert to know that 20 million is a bigger number.
    I think I saw that someone who gets the flu has a 1 in 800 chance of dying? The coronavirus thus far, as far as we know is somewhere in the 1 in 30 to 1 in 40 people die range. That makes it sound about 20x more lethal than the standard flu that we all know and have probably had at some point.

Now there's obvious variables...did a lot more people get coronavirus than we know, thus the mortality rate is lower than is being reported? Maybe...hopefully. It's odd how some countries have very high death rates (China, Iran, Italy), while South Korea has a less than 1% death rate the last I heard. That might be explained by South Korea testing massive amounts of people, thus possibly flagging people with the virus who aren't getting all that sick. Where maybe the other countries are only testing people in bad shape already? Who knows.

Now this new virus its just starting to spread everywhere. Obviously we hope it doesn't spread as much as the flu, but this is an unknown as you said.

I do like one thing about the people panicking. You can't find sanitizing wipes or hand sanitizers anywhere near where I live. But if people are using these items, then good. That is the type of behavior that can get us past thing whole thing.

But in the end. I'm not an expert. I'm just spewing crap I've read or seen. People should get their advice from doctors, not people like you or I.
    I get that 1 in 30. But that doesn’t matter to me. That’s like saying bazookas are the  main gun problem because 100% of the people shot with a bazooka die, but only 30% of those shot with a hand gun die. So guns aren’t the problem, bazookas are.
    If you catch corona you have a higher likelihood of dying. But still more people got the flu and more people died from it. In my book that makes it more deadly. 
    1 in 30 should matter to you. Say you get infected but are healthy and fight it off with no ill effects. But let's also say you don't know you're contagious for two weeks and infect 100 more people. The odds are that a certain percentage of those 100 people may have underlying conditions, are elderly or will come into close contact with immuno suppressed people or elderly parents and pass it on. It's like that old shampoo commercial - she told two friends and so on and so on and so on.... Unfortunately we have no way of knowing who we might pass it on to and who they might pass it on to and so on....
    2003 Spectrum, Camden 2, Holmdel 2004 Reading, PA 2005 Philly 2006 Hartford, Camden 1&2, E. Rutherford 1&2 2008 Camden 1&2, MSG 1&2  2009 Spectrum 1,2,3,4  2010 Hartford, Newark, MSG 1&2 2013 Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Brooklyn 1&2, Philly 1&2,  Baltimore 2014 Leeds, Cincinnati  2015 GCF  2016 Sunrise, Miami, Hampton, Philly 1&2, MSG 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2017 RHoF Induction 2018 Seattle 1&2 Fenway 1&2 2021 Sea Hear Now 2022 Hamilton, Toronto, MSG, Camden 2023 Indy 2024 Indy, MSG 1&2, Philly 1&2, Baltimore

• RockMamaRockMama Deep Creek Lake, MD Posts: 478
    If old fucks stay home, Trump won't be able to play golf. He'll be talking trash about the CDC. 
    107 total First-Summerfest, Milwaukee '95
    Most recent: 2018 Stadium shows: Seattle 2, Missoula, Fenway 1 and 2; 2022: Oakland 1 and 2
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,680
    Someone mentioned insurance earlier and that’s proving to be true.  

• RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,907
    PJNB said:
    Because they are coming up first and many people from US will be traveling there. 
    Because of the Corona Virus. 
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2; 2024:  Vancouver 1-2, LV 1-2, LA 1-2, Napa, Barcelona 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • CO278952CO278952 Posts: 1,347
    This thread seems more toxic than the rona. 
    4.17.94 Paramount 9.28.96 Randall's Island 8.25.00 Jones Beach 4.28.03 Spectrum 7.5.03 Camden 7.6.03 Camden 07.08.03 MSG 07.09.03 MSG 7.12.03 Hershey 7.14.03 Holmdel 6.12.08 Tampa 10.19.13 Brooklyn 4.11.16 Tampa 5.1.16 MSG 5.2.16 MSG 8.7.16 Fenway 9.2.18 Fenway 9.4.18 Fenway 9.11.22 MSG 9.16.22 Nashville 9.18.23 Austin 9.19.23 Austin 9.3.24 MSG 9.4.24 MSG Fenway 9.15.24 Fenway 9.17.24
  • MD190661MD190661 Posts: 394
    mace1229 said:
    Sarava said:
    mace1229 said:
    Sarava said:
    mace1229 said:
    MD190661 said:

1 in 30 should matter to you. Say you get infected but are healthy and fight it off with no ill effects. But let's also say you don't know you're contagious for two weeks and infect 100 more people. The odds are that a certain percentage of those 100 people may have underlying conditions, are elderly or will come into close contact with immuno suppressed people or elderly parents and pass it on. It's like that old shampoo commercial - she told two friends and so on and so on and so on.... Unfortunately we have no way of knowing who we might pass it on to and who they might pass it on to and so on....
    And this is why they will cancel the tour. And schools will close and you'll work from home and stores will only be open limited hours, etc. Sucks, but our lives will be disrupted greatly and very soon.
    10/1/94, 6/22/95, 6/24/95, 9/16/96, 7/22/98, 10/21/01, 6/1/03, 10/25/03, 10/26/03, 9/1/05, 7/15/06, 7/18/06, 8/28/09, 10/07/09, 10/3/12, 11/26/13, 6/18/18, 8/10/18, 5/12/22, 5/13/22, 5/13/24, 5/25/24

This discussion has been closed.