Comments

• danofundanofun Posts: 986
    "Darkness comes in waves. Tell me, why invite it to stay?"
    This thread is a sad song and "I'm never going back again."
  • gotthebottlegotthebottle Posts: 2,642
    DH77340 said:
    "Darkness comes in waves. Tell me, why invite it to stay?"
    This thread is a sad song and "I'm never going back again."
    Yes... sad.... but why put your head in the sand and pretend this isn't happening? Probability of postponing shows goes up especially since there seems to be no adult in charge in this country. 
  • Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,590
    SXSW has been cancelled.
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
    PJNB said:
    For those reading the headline from Dick Pound and the shock that would be canceling the summer Olympics here is the latest update from the president of the IOC. 

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/summer/thomas-bach-ioc-president-tokyo-olympics-1.5485283

"Neither the word cancellation nor the word postponement was even mentioned"

Asked how he could be so confident the July 24-Aug. 9 Olympics will go ahead as scheduled, Bach replied: "Because we talk to the experts."

"We are a sports organization and we follow the advice of the World Health Organization," Bach said, referring to the United Nations agency based around 60 kilometres away in Geneva.

Keep in mind, they want to sell tickets. They could always cancel later. But they get your money now, and earn interest on it, until they have to refund it (without interest) or reschedule. 

So they will say whatever they need to in order to keep business going. 

Heck, they could even KNOW they are going to cancel, and might want to continue to sell tickets to make money before they then cancel. 

Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
    EXCLUSIVE: The 2020 Ultra Music Festival will be postponed — possibly for a full year, the Miami Herald has learned. That move would effectively cancel this year’s edition of Miami’s marquee electronic dance music event. https://hrld.us/2x5ZQ4k

Rememeber a few days ago when they said "everything is on!"?
     And now this.

Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • DM282158DM282158 Posts: 542
    Great article. Thank you for posting!
    Boston '06
    Mansfield '08
    Hartford '10
    Worcester, Hartford '13
    Global Citizen, NY '15
  • KN219077KN219077 Posts: 1,071
    I think at some point it won’t be the band’s decision either way. It will be arena management or cities making the decision 
  • mattsavardmattsavard Posts: 518
    Sea said:
    Second warning on this thread. Please keep the discussion civil or this thread will be closed. No more name calling.
    Please see the Posting Guidelines.
    Thank you

Please don't close a good thread because of a bad apple or two 
    Memphis '94 / Charlotte '96 / Birmingham '98 / Knoxville '98 / Memphis '00 / Nashville '00 / Nashville '03 / St. Louis '04 / Nashville Ryman N1 '09 (EV solo) / Nashville Ryman N2 '09 (EV solo) / Memphis '09 (EV solo) / New Orleans Jazzfest '10 / St Louis '10 / Memphis '12 (EV solo) / Memphis '14 / Boston Fenway N1 '16 / Boston Fenway N2 '16 / Chicago Wrigley N1 '18 / Chicago Wrigley N2 '18 /  Ottawa '22 / Quebec City '22 / Nashville '22 / St Louis '22

Strong 2nd Amendment supporter and advocate targeted methods of reducing gun violence, sans-infringement. 
  • what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    edited March 2020
    Anybody else seen their retirement savings tank in the last three weeks? I'm thinking about staying home just because I'm having an even harder time financially justifying my week long vacay to Denver to see a rock band when I've just lost a ton of my cushion. 

No PMs please. If I don't go, my ticket is already designated :-). 
  • mattsavardmattsavard Posts: 518
    pjhawks said:
    YAKIMATSU said:
    And i got hammered for saying exactly  the same as these posts right here. This place is ridiculous 
    A portion seem to believe that because they aren't in the high risk areas or demographic that this, literally, is nothing to worry about. They don't seem to realize until getting repeatedly beaten over the head, sometimes, that we are all connected.  Connected down to the star dust. Some appear to not give an f about anything or anybody other than themselves.  Explains our lack of universal healthcare and our huge homeless problem and our massive military. Humans afraid to behave humanely. 
    are you suggesting we all should just shutter in place at home for the next few months?   I get that we are all connected but at this point there is no need to over react and over panic either.  98% of the people who get this virus are fine.    What do you suggest our action should be?

This is absolutely NOT true. 

On average ~8-10% of people who get this virus end up in the ICU and over 3% die. 

Then there are the people who are hospitalized but not ICU.... 

Then there are the sick with flu/pneumonia who get well at home or via visit with PCP. 

Implying that this virus is no big deal for 98% of the population is terrible misinformation 
    Memphis '94 / Charlotte '96 / Birmingham '98 / Knoxville '98 / Memphis '00 / Nashville '00 / Nashville '03 / St. Louis '04 / Nashville Ryman N1 '09 (EV solo) / Nashville Ryman N2 '09 (EV solo) / Memphis '09 (EV solo) / New Orleans Jazzfest '10 / St Louis '10 / Memphis '12 (EV solo) / Memphis '14 / Boston Fenway N1 '16 / Boston Fenway N2 '16 / Chicago Wrigley N1 '18 / Chicago Wrigley N2 '18 /  Ottawa '22 / Quebec City '22 / Nashville '22 / St Louis '22

Strong 2nd Amendment supporter and advocate targeted methods of reducing gun violence, sans-infringement. 
  • Saltzy23Saltzy23 Posts: 1,350
    No matter what happens from here, I think we can all agree that this whole thing is sucking a lot of the excitement away from these shows.  

Instead of counting down the final couple of weeks until we get to see PJ we're all just bickering over the severity of this thing, chewing our finger nails praying we just get to see shows, and watching our retirement savings and net worth take a fat shit.

This blooooooows.

'I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine.'
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,398
    Saltzy23 said:
    No matter what happens from here, I think we can all agree that this whole thing is sucking a lot of the excitement away from these shows.  

Instead of counting down the final couple of weeks until we get to see PJ we're all just bickering over the severity of this thing, chewing our finger nails praying we just get to see shows, and watching our retirement savings and net worth take a fat shit.

This blooooooows.

Agreed.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • MelzombieMelzombie Posts: 200
    What is the probability of them postponing the US dates till the Fall leg? It would be a logistical nightmare for the band, with the possibility of Fall dates/cities already in place.... but it would be better than straight out canceling, right? 
  • KN219077KN219077 Posts: 1,071
    Anybody else seen their retirement savings tank in the last three weeks? I'm thinking about staying home just because I'm having an even harder time financially justifying my week long vacay to Denver to see a rock band when I've just lost a ton of my cushion. 

You shouldn’t be using your retirement funds to see PJ either way. Leave your retirement alone, it will be fine. Learn from the masses in 2008 that sold and lost so much.
  • link93link93 Posts: 410
    I’m sure if they do something it won’t be cancel it will be postpone. 
  • CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Posts: 3,020
    Saltzy23 said:

This blooooooows.

100%  
    My wife said to me, "I hope they just cancel so it takes the decision out of our hands" I was so excited a couple weeks ago, securing the airbnb and mapping out some places to go, but now........I don't know.  24 days to think about it I guess, lol
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,322

I’ve been investing , trading for a long time now. I’ve done it on every level including day trading , long term, dividend / passive income etc...  don’t check your long term account every day, it’ll drive you crazy. Especially if you have a large portfolio. A 3-7% decrease can make you have a heart attack.  Don’t worry right now. As long as you don’t need that money now, you’ll be fine. Long investors add more during weeks like this. 
    link93 said:
    Absolute worst case scenario would be canceling. I’m ok with postponing. So many people on these boards put in so much time, effort, sleepless nights, f5ing, large sums of money for charity tickets for it to just be canceled. I’m not sure I could go through this ticket hunt again in a few months. 
  • RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,907
    nicknyr15 said:
    link93 said:
    Absolute worst case scenario would be canceling. I’m ok with postponing. So many people on these boards put in so much time, effort, sleepless nights, f5ing, large sums of money for charity tickets for it to just be canceled. I’m not sure I could go through this ticket hunt again in a few months. 
    +1.  I have a nice set of tickets.  There are people with better for sure, but I’m happy with what I’ve assembled.  I’d love to use them on the existing dates but if the dates change it’s not a big deal (though I would be out some expenses).  If it’s cancelled entirely that would be really difficult to process, though still a first world problem.
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2; 2024:  Vancouver 1-2, LV 1-2, LA 1-2, Napa, Barcelona 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • hsohihsohi Posts: 1,033
    So nice to hear from the band on this topic...thx.
    London Ontario 2013, Buffalo New York 2013, Lincoln Nebraska 2014, Quebec City 2016
  • link93link93 Posts: 410
    The city of San Francisco yesterday recommended that all big sporting events be cancelled. The Warriors said that at least today’s game will go on as planned. Also the symphony and a variety of other public events have been canceled for the next several weeks. I’m sure we get clarification this week what the band plans to do. 
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,398
    hsohi said:
    So nice to hear from the band on this topic...thx.
    Did I miss something or sarcasm?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    KN219077 said:

You shouldn’t be using your retirement funds to see PJ either way. Leave your retirement alone, it will be fine. Learn from the masses in 2008 that sold and lost so much.
    I'm not using my retirement funds. I'm paying with cash. But since my retirement fund just tanked, I prefer to hold onto my cash for an emergency--or use it to buy low. My trip to Denver will cost close to $2000 after all is said and done. That's a lot of cash in uncertain times. 
    KN219077 said:

I'm not using my retirement funds. I'm paying with cash. But since my retirement fund just tanked, I prefer to hold onto my cash for an emergency--or use it to buy low. My trip to Denver will cost close to $2000 after all is said and done. That's a lot of cash in uncertain times. 
    I understand your concern. If the shows even go on as planned, I’d go. If the market goes to zero, cash won’t mean shit anymore lol. 
    nicknyr15 said:
    KN219077 said:

I understand your concern. If the shows even go on as planned, I’d go. If the market goes to zero, cash won’t mean shit anymore lol. 
    Thanks for the reassurance????
    Ugh -- at first I was only concerned about bringing back a disease that would kill my mom whom I live with and care for. She is one of the vulnerable ones. I was flip-flopping on that, even when the other night she told me she didn't think I should go, I refused to make a decision and told her to hold her horses, we don't know enough yet. Then I finally had the stomach to check my account after hearing the news for a week. Gut punch.
    I wish I could laugh. 
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,525

We all have, but this happens from time to time.  Unless your a clairvoyant the best thing to do is wait it out.  Market eventually rebounds.
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,949
    Saltzy23 said:

This blooooooows.

Spot on comments right here.  The whole thing is unfortunate.
  • Saltzy23Saltzy23 Posts: 1,350
    edited March 2020
    Saltzy23 said:

This blooooooows.

100%  
    My wife said to me, "I hope they just cancel so it takes the decision out of our hands" I was so excited a couple weeks ago, securing the airbnb and mapping out some places to go, but now........I don't know.  24 days to think about it I guess, lol
    You and me both dude.  I have tickets to 7 shows, across 6 cites/countries between now and July.  Spent I dunno how many hours planning and coordinating already.  Outside of a few things you can't even buy tickets for yet like the Anne Frank House and Aucshwitz tours, I am completely done.  Assuming these shows go on, i could basically tell you where I am gonna be at any moment of any day between 3/26 and 3/30, and the entire 2 week span of 7/12-7/23.  Tickets, hotels, AirBnB's, flights, tours, even fucking rental cars....everything entered with OCD level of detail into online itineraries.  

For one, even if I/we get to recoup some of the money laid out, there is no way we will get 100% back.  Not to mention the INSANE pain in the ass you know it's gonna be to unwind the tapes of these trips if we have to. Waiting on hold forever, hoping your CC will reimburse you if the vendor won't.  All to maybe just have to do it all over again in the other direction if it gets rescheduled.  I mean, I probably have like 50 little individual reservations and stops all figured out here, and the thought of having to possibly unwind them all and redo it over again makes me feel like I have this goddamn bug already,

Post edited by Saltzy23 on
    'I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine.'
    nicknyr15 said:
    KN219077 said:

Thanks for the reassurance????
    Ugh -- at first I was only concerned about bringing back a disease that would kill my mom whom I live with and care for. She is one of the vulnerable ones. I was flip-flopping on that, even when the other night she told me she didn't think I should go, I refused to make a decision and told her to hold her horses, we don't know enough yet. Then I finally had the stomach to check my account after hearing the news for a week. Gut punch.
    I wish I could laugh. 
    Lol sorry. I was only under the assumption that you didn’t want to go because of the market tanking. The situation with your mom is a whole different situation and I completely understand your concern. I cared for my grandmother who had dementia for 5 years so I understand. Best of luck with your situation.  
This discussion has been closed.