Options

The coronavirus

Comments

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844
    the thing that worries me is, what if this thing mutates and is just as contagious and lethal? like mutates to the point that this vaccine will be ineffective over time?
    Viruses always mutate, and this one has had multiple mutations since it emerged in humans. If mutations occur that make the vaccines less effective then the vaccines will be tweaked, like we already do with the flu vaccine. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,164
    yeah, the current major mutation that happened in britain is the most "popular" strain going round the globe right now, as far as I've read. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I wonder how much vaccine will be wasted by people who don't go back for dose 2. I remember getting the hepatitis vaccine a long time ago and never went back for my second dose. It was so long ago, I don't remember why.  Does anyone know if there's a system to monitor compliance? It would help if all the celebrities film their second dose in addition to the first, to reinforce the importance of that.
    Honestly, common sense (and my doctor?) would dictate the second dose, certainly not someone famous. Celebrities are not the bastions of my behaviors, my beliefs, etc. The day they are, shoot me!

And I’m sure as hell not going to go through a first vaccine without the second. Did the same with the shingles vax, otherwise the whole thing is pointless. 
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,079
    edited December 2020
    I wonder how much vaccine will be wasted by people who don't go back for dose 2. I remember getting the hepatitis vaccine a long time ago and never went back for my second dose. It was so long ago, I don't remember why.  Does anyone know if there's a system to monitor compliance? It would help if all the celebrities film their second dose in addition to the first, to reinforce the importance of that.
    I think celebrities should stay out of it. They just piss people off by filming themselves from their 10,000 square foot house with multiple swimming pools and a helicopter pad in the background saying to "just stay home, its not that hard," while a limo drives up and delivers 5-star catered food.
    But you have a point, I never thought about that. Maybe since the vaccine is free, there should be a tax penalty or fine for not following through with it equal to the cost and administration of the vaccine for keeping someone else from getting it. 
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 41,039
    hedonist said:
    Honestly, common sense (and my doctor?) would dictate the second dose, certainly not someone famous. Celebrities are not the bastions of my behaviors, my beliefs, etc. The day they are, shoot me!

And I’m sure as hell not going to go through a first vaccine without the second. Did the same with the shingles vax, otherwise the whole thing is pointless. 

Yeah, same here.  Why only go half way?!

I also did the Shingrix vax a while back.  Man oh man, that shingles vax kicked my ass for about 24 hours!  Really felt like hell.  But I've known people who had Shingles and I'd trade one day of feeling shitty to avoid shingles any day!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,598
    edited December 2020
    brianlux said:
    hedonist said:

I also did the Shingrix vax a while back.  Man oh man, that shingles vax kicked my ass for about 24 hours!  Really felt like hell.  But I've known people who had Shingles and I'd trade one day of feeling shitty to avoid shingles any day!
    While in the Navy, I underwent overseas screening to be eligible to be stationed on an island in the Bering Sea. Part of it was a Typhoid vaccination. I spent about a day in my bunk feeling like I had the worst cold I had ever had. My thought was if that is what the vaccine did, I sure as heck didn't want to get the actual disease.
    Post edited by JeBurkhardt on
  • Options
    Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,679
    The hospital memo states that we should expect to feel pretty bad the first 24-48 hours after the second dose, but this is completely expected and really a good thing on a scientific level.  They just recommended we plan our schedules accordingly.
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
    2024: Las Vegas I / Las Vegas II / New York City I / New York City II / Philly I / Philly II / Baltimore
  • Options
    I don't think what what dreams is suggesting is a bad idea. no, most of US don't follow what celebrities do, but a pretty significant section of the globe actually does. the more people with massive platforms show that they are getting it, that it's trust worthy, the better. politicians, famous scholars, athletes, musicians; all of em. 

and especially: REPUBLICANS

although, people will still come up with "yeah, i bet they just got an injection of saline", but I think it would still be a net positive. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    I don't think what what dreams is suggesting is a bad idea. no, most of US don't follow what celebrities do, but a pretty significant section of the globe actually does. the more people with massive platforms show that they are getting it, that it's trust worthy, the better. politicians, famous scholars, athletes, musicians; all of em. 

although, people will still come up with "yeah, i bet they just got an injection of saline", but I think it would still be a net positive. 
    That means one would have to trust most of those people. I do not. Not when it comes to my own life decisions - which this is. 
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    hedonist said:

Ugh, me too. And my last flu shot as well; I was hit particularly hard. But yeah, bad as I anticipate the reactions may be, I’m willing to go that route.

Small price to pay, in my mind. 
  • Options
    Sure am glad Tricky Team Trump Treason Tax Cheat was at the helm when the outbreak occurred. Such strong, winning leadership. From the NYT email blast. The chart shows the US averaging over 600 new cases per million while France, Germany, Italy, UK, Canada and Japan are all well below 300, with Japan at maybe 20 per million. But lets give Tricky Team Trump Treason Tax Cheat credit for the US pandemic response and getting a vaccine out, never mind the 250,000+ unnecessary deaths that occurred and continue. So much winning.

Down over there. Up over here.

It’s happening again: For the second time this year, the United States has fallen behind nearly every other country in combating the virus.
    The U.S. was not alone in suffering a resurgence this fall. Much of the world did. But many other countries responded to that surge with targeted new restrictions and, in a few cases, with an increase in rapid-result testing.

Those measures seem to be working. Worldwide, the number of new cases has fallen over the past week.

In some countries, the declines are large: more than 50 percent over the past month in Belgium, France, Italy, Kenya and Saudi Arabia; more than 40 percent in Argentina and Morocco; more than 30 percent in India and Norway.

And in the U.S.? The number of new cases has risen 51 percent over the past month.

The causes are not a mystery. The U.S. still lacks a coherent testing strategy, and large parts of the country continue to defy basic health advice. One example is Mitchell, a small South Dakota city, where deaths have spiked recently — including the loss of a beloved high school coach. Yet anti-mask protesters continue to undermine the local response.

Among their messages at a recent City Council meeting, as Annie Gowen of The Washington Post reported: “Positivity defeats the virus.”

Europe offers a telling contrast. Several European countries put new restrictions in place over the past month, and they made a difference, as you can see in the chart above. Still, the leaders of those countries remained unsatisfied with the progress — and announced further measures in recent days.

London closed pubs and restaurants today. The Netherlands has shut gyms, cinemas, schools and nonessential shops until Jan. 19. Germany — a country that loves its Christmas rituals — is locking down for Christmas.

Parts of the U.S. have taken some measures, like requiring masks and limiting indoor dining. And cases here have leveled off in recent days. If anything, though, that’s further evidence that people are not powerless in the face of the virus. Reducing its spread — and the widespread death that will otherwise occur in coming months — is entirely possible.
    “America’s outbreaks, reaching from California to Florida, are the result of the public and the country’s leaders never taking the virus seriously enough and, to the extent they did, letting their guard down prematurely,” German Lopez of Vox recently wrote. As Jaime Slaughter-Acey, an epidemiologist at the University of Minnesota, said, “It’s a situation that didn’t have to be.”

• Two former C.D.C. officials spoke to The Times about how the Trump administration had meddled with the agency during the pandemic, dismissing its science, silencing its experts and siphoning its budget.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    The world has come undone 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    hedonist said:

That means one would have to trust most of those people. I do not. Not when it comes to my own life decisions - which this is. 
    haha, unfortunately there aren't many famous epidemiologists that have the platform. 

you aren't the problem here i'm speaking of. i'm talking of people who trust famous people and not science. as long as we get them inoculated, i don't give a shit what brings their arm to the table. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844
    brianlux said:
    hedonist said:

While in the Navy, I underwent overseas screening to be eligible to be stationed on an island in the Bering Sea. Part of it was a Typhoid vaccination. I spent about a day in my bunk feeling like I had the worst cold I had ever had. My thought was if that is what the vaccine did, I sure as heck didn't want to get the actual disease.
    I’ve had the typhoid vaccine for travel and yeah, feels like you’ve been hit by a truck. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options

Agreed.

The celebrity worship in America turns my stomach, but it can't be denied that a lot of people do look up to them / follow their lead, (right or wrong) and the more people that promote getting the vaccine the better. 

They're promoting a solution here which is what we need, where's the problem? 

If you're inclined to ignore celebrities, then keep ignoring them; problem solved. 
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,306
    More awareness is a positive for us all. The more people see other people getting the vaccine the more it will become accepted and normalized.

Go celebrities go!
  • Options
    Celebrity shaming is acceptable now? Wealth shaming? Success shaming? Vaccine advocacy shaming? Oh, where will it end?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,933
    The hospital memo states that we should expect to feel pretty bad the first 24-48 hours after the second dose, but this is completely expected and really a good thing on a scientific level.  They just recommended we plan our schedules accordingly.
    Good luck, man.  Hope it's a smooth ride for you.
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,571
    https://www.businessinsider.com/sweden-admits-coronavirus-strategy-underestimated-strenght-virus-lofven-stefan-2020-12

Sweden's prime minister admits the country got its coronavirus strategy wrong

Sweden's prime minister has admitted that the country misjudged its response to the second coronavirus surge, as intensive-care units in the capital Stockholm become overwhelmed with patients.

Sweden recorded 8,088 deaths from all causes last month, the country's statistics agency announced on Monday. That was the country's second-highest number of monthly deaths on record, surpassed only by the country's worst month of the 1918 influenza pandemic.

"I think that most people in the profession didn't see such a wave in front of them — they talked about different clusters," Prime Minister Stefan Lofven told the newspaper Aftonbladet.

"It was not like we were not prepared for something to happen again, but no one could predict that it would be with this strength," he said.

"It is proof that it is a virus that we did not know about before and that behaves in a way many would not have thought."

Lofven acknowledged the government had made mistakes.

"Some conclusions about where we could have been better have already been drawn," he said. "Take, for example, elderly care. There we need to do more, and there we increase in the next budget."

The prime minister's interview came as an independent report into Sweden's pandemic response by scientists and crisis-management experts in the country concluded that his government had failed to sufficiently protect the country's older population.

The commission said the Swedish government and its predecessors were ultimately to blame for the failure to protect older people, The Guardian reported.

Lofven's government is gradually shifting away from its resistance to lockdown restrictions and has already imposed a ban on the sale of alcohol after 10 p.m. and has prohibited public gatherings of more than eight people.

High schools have also been closed for the rest of the term, and the government is drafting emergency legislation that could allow the imposition of lockdowns and business closings, The New York Times reports.

"We need a few weeks of lockdown to get the numbers down," Tove Fall, a professor in molecular epidemiology at Sweden's Uppsala University, told The Times.

"Other countries are taking much higher precautions at lower transmission levels."

The shift toward a more restrictive approach comes after the country's predictions that it would avoid a so-called second wave of the virus were proved wrong.

Anders Tegnell, the chief epidemiologist behind Sweden's no-lockdown approach, said earlier this year that opting against a strict lockdown would help Sweden build up its population's immunity and lessen the chances of a fall or winter surge in cases.

Sweden, however, has since been hit by a much larger resurgence of the virus than its neighbors.

Sweden had recorded 7,667 deaths as a result of the coronavirus as of Wednesday morning, according to data from Johns Hopkins University, far more than any of its neighbors.

Hospitals in Sweden's cities are now struggling to cope with a sharp rise in the number of new cases, with officials in its capital, Stockholm, warning that intensive-care units were already beyond capacity.

"We are far beyond 100% of capacity in intensive care. We are approaching almost double the number of available spaces," Bjorn Eriksson, a regional health director in Stockholm, said on Tuesday, The Times reported.

As a result, Sweden's neighbors, which have all imposed much stricter restrictions on their populations, this week offered emergency medical assistance to the country to help it cope with the surge in hospitalizations.

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,079

I always heard celebrities aren't looked on as highly in other countries? That's why a lot will live in Europe or move back to Australia or whatever, because they are more normal there and not semi-gods that people here treat them like. 
    Either way, the fact anyone does something, good or bad, because a celebrity told them to and not because its the smart thing to do, is still an idiot. I like my idea of creating penalties for not following through with the second vaccine and charging them for the first if they don't get the full treatment. 
  • Options
    cutz said:
    https://www.businessinsider.com/sweden-admits-coronavirus-strategy-underestimated-strenght-virus-lofven-stefan-2020-12

Sweden's prime minister has admitted that the country misjudged its response to the second coronavirus surge, as intensive-care units in the capital Stockholm become overwhelmed with patients.

Sweden recorded 8,088 deaths from all causes last month, the country's statistics agency announced on Monday. That was the country's second-highest number of monthly deaths on record, surpassed only by the country's worst month of the 1918 influenza pandemic.

"I think that most people in the profession didn't see such a wave in front of them — they talked about different clusters," Prime Minister Stefan Lofven told the newspaper Aftonbladet.

"It was not like we were not prepared for something to happen again, but no one could predict that it would be with this strength," he said.

"It is proof that it is a virus that we did not know about before and that behaves in a way many would not have thought."

"Some conclusions about where we could have been better have already been drawn," he said. "Take, for example, elderly care. There we need to do more, and there we increase in the next budget."

The prime minister's interview came as an independent report into Sweden's pandemic response by scientists and crisis-management experts in the country concluded that his government had failed to sufficiently protect the country's older population.

The commission said the Swedish government and its predecessors were ultimately to blame for the failure to protect older people, The Guardian reported.

Lofven's government is gradually shifting away from its resistance to lockdown restrictions and has already imposed a ban on the sale of alcohol after 10 p.m. and has prohibited public gatherings of more than eight people.

High schools have also been closed for the rest of the term, and the government is drafting emergency legislation that could allow the imposition of lockdowns and business closings, The New York Times reports.

"We need a few weeks of lockdown to get the numbers down," Tove Fall, a professor in molecular epidemiology at Sweden's Uppsala University, told The Times.

"Other countries are taking much higher precautions at lower transmission levels."

The shift toward a more restrictive approach comes after the country's predictions that it would avoid a so-called second wave of the virus were proved wrong.

Anders Tegnell, the chief epidemiologist behind Sweden's no-lockdown approach, said earlier this year that opting against a strict lockdown would help Sweden build up its population's immunity and lessen the chances of a fall or winter surge in cases.

Sweden, however, has since been hit by a much larger resurgence of the virus than its neighbors.

Sweden had recorded 7,667 deaths as a result of the coronavirus as of Wednesday morning, according to data from Johns Hopkins University, far more than any of its neighbors.

Hospitals in Sweden's cities are now struggling to cope with a sharp rise in the number of new cases, with officials in its capital, Stockholm, warning that intensive-care units were already beyond capacity.

"We are far beyond 100% of capacity in intensive care. We are approaching almost double the number of available spaces," Bjorn Eriksson, a regional health director in Stockholm, said on Tuesday, The Times reported.

As a result, Sweden's neighbors, which have all imposed much stricter restrictions on their populations, this week offered emergency medical assistance to the country to help it cope with the surge in hospitalizations.

Should have stuck to empty poster tubes full of air.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    mace1229 said:

I always heard celebrities aren't looked on as highly in other countries? That's why a lot will live in Europe or move back to Australia or whatever, because they are more normal there and not semi-gods that people here treat them like. 
    Either way, the fact anyone does something, good or bad, because a celebrity told them to and not because its the smart thing to do, is still an idiot. I like my idea of creating penalties for not following through with the second vaccine and charging them for the first if they don't get the full treatment. 
    i'm not disagreeing with you about celebrity worship. all i'm saying is i don't care what someone's motivation is for getting the vaccine as long as they get it. 

a big potential problem with this pandemic is there are a LOAD of idiots that won't get the vaccine purely because of their own idiocy. 

if you create a penalty for not following through, people won't even bother with the first dose, and you'll chase away people who intend on getting both doses but are afraid of something going wrong and getting penalized. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mace1229 said:

If an idiot gets the vaccine because a celebrity told them too, isn't that still a good thing though? I mean... we're all in agreement that everyone should get vaccinated, right? 

Again, I fail to see the problem with celebrities promoting the vaccine. 

Idiots live among us, there's no getting around that fact... just look at all the people who think the election was rigged. 
  • Options
    mace1229 said:

i'm not disagreeing with you about celebrity worship. all i'm saying is i don't care what someone's motivation is for getting the vaccine as long as they get it. 

a big potential problem with this pandemic is there are a LOAD of idiots that won't get the vaccine purely because of their own idiocy. 

if you create a penalty for not following through, people won't even bother with the first dose, and you'll chase away people who intend on getting both doses but are afraid of something going wrong and getting penalized. 
    If someone otherwise inclined to get a vaccine had second thoughts because, say for example Amy Schumer promoted it, that person is an idiot too. 
  • Options
    mace1229 said:

If someone otherwise inclined to get a vaccine had second thoughts because, say for example Amy Schumer promoted it, that person is an idiot too. 
    i agree with that also. but i'm going to wager that the vast majority of celebrities and athletes are going to get it. there are very few celebrities that are outspoken anti-vaxxers like jenny mccarthy. and most of those fall into the "scott baio" category. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,846
    There are people who follow celeb news as opposed to news news.  They know who's married to who, who's getting divorced, and who was spotted smoking outside of a restaurant.  Those people might be able to be swayed by celebrity promotion. I just wonder whether there could be a backfire effect because "don't let Hollyweird tell you what to do."

Generally, though, I think I like the idea of known people promoting. Hopefully some country musicians and athletes (or just known conservatives) would also participate.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,400
    cutz said:

Chaos
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,672
    edited December 2020
    OnWis97 said:
    There are people who follow celeb news as opposed to news news.  They know who's married to who, who's getting divorced, and who was spotted smoking outside of a restaurant.  Those people might be able to be swayed by celebrity promotion. I just wonder whether there could be a backfire effect because "don't let Hollyweird tell you what to do."

Generally, though, I think I like the idea of known people promoting. Hopefully some country musicians and athletes (or just known conservatives) would also participate.
    I feel like this type of person is going to take any reason they can get to find fault with the process / not get the vaccine. 

While on the subject, has any celebrity worship in America reached the crescendo that the Trump worship has reached? 

It's weird how his getting elected president never finds it's way into the whole 'celebrity = bad' argument. (this isn't directed at you, @OnWis97, it's just a general observation) 

(EDIT: It's not my intention to derail the thread, but it feels like much of the resentment towards Hollywood & celebrity comes from the right, and the people who have supported / embraced Trump... it's a significant contradiction IMO)
    Post edited by Merkin Baller on
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,306
    cutz said:

My favourite part of this article. "It was not like we were not prepared for something to happen again, but no one could predict that it would be with this strength," he said.

Uh, sure. Nobody predicted this. We had people here in this thread that predicted this.

They just ignored the people that didn't tell them what they wanted to hear.
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,846
    OnWis97 said:

I feel like this type of person is going to take any reason they can get to find fault with the process / not get the vaccine. 

While on the subject, has any celebrity worship in America reached the crescendo that the Trump worship has reached? 

It's weird how his getting elected president never finds it's way into the whole 'celebrity = bad' argument. (this isn't directed at you, @OnWis97, it's just a general observation) 
    Under most criteria, I'd say "no."  First, there may be people who follow what, say, the Kardashians, Justin Timberlake, Taylor Swift, etc. more than is healthy, but they don't really bother being threatening or belittling those that don't follow. I also think that those who follow celebs follow mulitple people and there fervor is  way more thinly, as opposed to Trump fans who are all about Trump. Finally, I don't think it has the same cult-like properties; at least not in such large numbers. Yeah, big celebs have stalkers, which is pretty awful but a different kind of awful. I'd say for everyone who spends significant portions of the day thinking about Taylor Swift, there are 1000 that spend this much time thinking about Donald Trump (and the latter do so with much more derision towards others).

Those of us who are old enough remember when Eddie and Kurt were "all the rage."  I kinda feel like celeb worship, kinda peaked in the 1990s or early 2000s, particularly when it comes to movie stars like Cloony, Julia Roberts, Jennifer Aniston, or whoever. But maybe it's just because I've kind of aged out of knowing who the big names ever are any more.

In any case, the "shut up and act/sing" crowd has always given a pass to electeds and entertainment-based talking heads. I guess it makes sense for electeds. Trump is no longer a celebrity; he's important. But I've always been impressed with the way Rush, Hannity, Tucker, etc. are able to avoid both the "celebrity" and "media" tags.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
This discussion has been closed.