Options

The coronavirus

Comments

• Options
     But I've always been impressed with the way Rush, Hannity, Tucker, etc. are able to avoid both the "celebrity" and "media" tags. 
    They're also some of the most outspoken Hollywood critics ironically enough. 

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,164
    OnWis97 said:
    There are people who follow celeb news as opposed to news news.  They know who's married to who, who's getting divorced, and who was spotted smoking outside of a restaurant.  Those people might be able to be swayed by celebrity promotion. I just wonder whether there could be a backfire effect because "don't let Hollyweird tell you what to do."

Generally, though, I think I like the idea of known people promoting. Hopefully some country musicians and athletes (or just known conservatives) would also participate.
    I feel like this type of person is going to take any reason they can get to find fault with the process / not get the vaccine. 

While on the subject, has any celebrity worship in America reached the crescendo that the Trump worship has reached? 

It's weird how his getting elected president never finds it's way into the whole 'celebrity = bad' argument. (this isn't directed at you, @OnWis97, it's just a general observation) 

(EDIT: It's not my intention to derail the thread, but it feels like much of the resentment towards Hollywood & celebrity comes from the right, and the people who have supported / embraced Trump... it's a significant contradiction IMO)
    because they believe he's only famous for being a good businessman. they view him as sort of the anti-celebrity. they think his tough act is legit. he's a fucking baby in reality. 

republicans who are bothered by celebrities being overly liberal are hypocrites anyway. they're just whining because they don't have the "good" celebrities. they have ted nugent, kid rock, washed up 80's sitcom stars, a few white football/baseball players, and that's about it. they embrace them when they are R's. chastise them for being D's. it's laughable. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    The guy inviting 900 people to the State Department holiday party tests negative after close contact with a positive. What a pompous ass. Any and  all from the Tricky Team Trump Treason Tax Cheat Administration should be banned from public service for the rest of their selfish lives. Maybe it was the Santa Claus that was at the party? He seems like a lap sitting type. He's at least a lap dog. I really hope folks remember this shit in 2, 4, 6, 8, 100 years from now. Not likely.

Pompeo tests negative for COVID-19, will quarantine after close contact with positive case - statement

WASHINGTON, Dec 16 (Reuters) - U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has tested negative for COVID-19, but will quarantine after coming in close contact with a person who tested positive for the virus.

A State Department spokesperson said in a statement Wednesday that Pompeo is being closely monitored by the department's medical team, and declined to identify the individual who tested positive, citing privacy reasons. (Reporting by Pete Schroeder, Editing by Franklin Paul)

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    hedonist said:
    I wonder how much vaccine will be wasted by people who don't go back for dose 2. I remember getting the hepatitis vaccine a long time ago and never went back for my second dose. It was so long ago, I don't remember why.  Does anyone know if there's a system to monitor compliance? It would help if all the celebrities film their second dose in addition to the first, to reinforce the importance of that.
    Honestly, common sense (and my doctor?) would dictate the second dose, certainly not someone famous. Celebrities are not the bastions of my behaviors, my beliefs, etc. The day they are, shoot me!

And I’m sure as hell not going to go through a first vaccine without the second. Did the same with the shingles vax, otherwise the whole thing is pointless. 

Yeah, same here.  Why only go half way?!

I also did the Shingrix vax a while back.  Man oh man, that shingles vax kicked my ass for about 24 hours!  Really felt like hell.  But I've known people who had Shingles and I'd trade one day of feeling shitty to avoid shingles any day!
    While in the Navy, I underwent overseas screening to be eligible to be stationed on an island in the Bering Sea. Part of it was a Typhoid vaccination. I spent about a day in my bunk feeling like I had the worst cold I had ever had. My thought was if that is what the vaccine did, I sure as heck didn't want to get the actual disease.
    Adak?
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,975
    ^ Keep us updated on how it makes you feel over the next couple weeks, please, Mr. W!
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    OnWis97 said:
    There are people who follow celeb news as opposed to news news.  They know who's married to who, who's getting divorced, and who was spotted smoking outside of a restaurant.  Those people might be able to be swayed by celebrity promotion. I just wonder whether there could be a backfire effect because "don't let Hollyweird tell you what to do."

Generally, though, I think I like the idea of known people promoting. Hopefully some country musicians and athletes (or just known conservatives) would also participate.
    I feel like this type of person is going to take any reason they can get to find fault with the process / not get the vaccine. 

While on the subject, has any celebrity worship in America reached the crescendo that the Trump worship has reached? 

It's weird how his getting elected president never finds it's way into the whole 'celebrity = bad' argument. (this isn't directed at you, @OnWis97, it's just a general observation) 

(EDIT: It's not my intention to derail the thread, but it feels like much of the resentment towards Hollywood & celebrity comes from the right, and the people who have supported / embraced Trump... it's a significant contradiction IMO)
    I simply (and generally) don’t trust them, their agenda, and their feigned altruism. I’ve always mostly felt this way. They don’t know better or are remarkable human beings just because they have money and/or exposure.

As to celebrity worship and its heights, Trump is way up there, but he’s got plenty of company. 
  • Options
    i don't trust nor distrust them. they are regular people to me. just a different job with wildly different social events. except when you have 8 million followers to my 97, you tend to have more ears than i do. 

feigned altruism? does living in LA cause that level of cynicism? (serious question)
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited December 2020
    i don't trust nor distrust them. they are regular people to me. just a different job with wildly different social events. except when you have 8 million followers to my 97, you tend to have more ears than i do. 

feigned altruism? does living in LA cause that level of cynicism? (serious question)
    Not sure if it’s cynicism or just having my eyes open. I believe it exists outside of my city though. 

And thank goodness the term “following” and its coordinating phrases mean nothing to me! It’d feel strange if it did. 
  • Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,598
    brianlux said:
    hedonist said:
    I wonder how much vaccine will be wasted by people who don't go back for dose 2. I remember getting the hepatitis vaccine a long time ago and never went back for my second dose. It was so long ago, I don't remember why.  Does anyone know if there's a system to monitor compliance? It would help if all the celebrities film their second dose in addition to the first, to reinforce the importance of that.
    Honestly, common sense (and my doctor?) would dictate the second dose, certainly not someone famous. Celebrities are not the bastions of my behaviors, my beliefs, etc. The day they are, shoot me!

And I’m sure as hell not going to go through a first vaccine without the second. Did the same with the shingles vax, otherwise the whole thing is pointless. 

Yeah, same here.  Why only go half way?!

I also did the Shingrix vax a while back.  Man oh man, that shingles vax kicked my ass for about 24 hours!  Really felt like hell.  But I've known people who had Shingles and I'd trade one day of feeling shitty to avoid shingles any day!
    While in the Navy, I underwent overseas screening to be eligible to be stationed on an island in the Bering Sea. Part of it was a Typhoid vaccination. I spent about a day in my bunk feeling like I had the worst cold I had ever had. My thought was if that is what the vaccine did, I sure as heck didn't want to get the actual disease.
    Adak?
    Yes, my wife and I were stationed there between 1991 and 1993.  Our first kid was born at the base hospital. 
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    OnWis97 said:

I simply (and generally) don’t trust them, their agenda, and their feigned altruism. I’ve always mostly felt this way. They don’t know better or are remarkable human beings just because they have money and/or exposure.

As to celebrity worship and its heights, Trump is way up there, but he’s got plenty of company. 
    I don’t think celebrity status automatically makes a person remarkable either, but I can still overcome my disdain of celebrity worship to recognize that anyone in the public eye volunteering for this vaccine is doing an important public service, and if they inspire their idiot fans to do the same, that’s even better, no? 

I genuinely don’t understand the complaining about celebrities volunteering to get the vaccine, in the end it’s a net positive. (unless you don’t think people should be vaccinated?) 
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    hedonist said:
    OnWis97 said:

I don’t think celebrity status automatically makes a person remarkable either, but I can still overcome my disdain of celebrity worship to recognize that anyone in the public eye volunteering for this vaccine is doing an important public service, and if they inspire their idiot fans to do the same, that’s even better, no? 

I genuinely don’t understand the complaining about celebrities volunteering to get the vaccine, in the end it’s a net positive. (unless you don’t think people should be vaccinated?) 
    I plan on getting it and don’t understand why others wouldn’t, barring health or other factors. 

I guess the end result can be beneficial, but I really do think the majority aren’t in it for true inspiration rather than another chance to be seen (or what some might call relevant).
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,079
    mace1229 said:
    I don't think what what dreams is suggesting is a bad idea. no, most of US don't follow what celebrities do, but a pretty significant section of the globe actually does. the more people with massive platforms show that they are getting it, that it's trust worthy, the better. politicians, famous scholars, athletes, musicians; all of em. 

and especially: REPUBLICANS

although, people will still come up with "yeah, i bet they just got an injection of saline", but I think it would still be a net positive. 
    I always heard celebrities aren't looked on as highly in other countries? That's why a lot will live in Europe or move back to Australia or whatever, because they are more normal there and not semi-gods that people here treat them like. 
    Either way, the fact anyone does something, good or bad, because a celebrity told them to and not because its the smart thing to do, is still an idiot. I like my idea of creating penalties for not following through with the second vaccine and charging them for the first if they don't get the full treatment. 
    If an idiot gets the vaccine because a celebrity told them too, isn't that still a good thing though? I mean... we're all in agreement that everyone should get vaccinated, right? 

Again, I fail to see the problem with celebrities promoting the vaccine. 

Idiots live among us, there's no getting around that fact... just look at all the people who think the election was rigged. 
    Yes I agree we should be vaccinated and someone getting it because a celebrity told them is still a good thing.
    I just think more people are tired of listening to celebrities and seeing their out of touch comments than there are people who are on the fence but because Kim Kardashian says to do it finally gets pushed to getting one. 
    At the end of the day I doubt it makes a big difference either way, so I prefer to stop worshiping celebrities and giving them the spotlight. We spend way too much money and focus on people who aren’t really that important to our existence.
  • Options
    Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,679
    At the 14 hour mark I’m getting some pretty bad chills and a mild temperature but no other symptoms.  Felt good most of the day though.  

I’m 28, active and healthy, no medications or medical conditions 

This is a totally normal immune response and not unexpected.  If anything, it’s proving to me that I’d never want to get the actual virus itself and reaffirming my decision to get vaccinated 

2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
    2024: Las Vegas I / Las Vegas II / New York City I / New York City II / Philly I / Philly II / Baltimore
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,079

I lived in LA a good chunk of my life. It’s funny, people who are are into it can spot celebrities often. I couldn’t care less, most of the time when I was with friends and they pointed someone out I didn’t even know who it was. I generally stayed away from those hot spots because everything is overpriced, but when I was in my 20s that’s where coworkers and friends want to go for happy hour.
    But what makes me mad is how much money they make, and really shows our level of worship. Not just Hollywood, but sports too. NFL minimum is $600,000. Even  practice squad makes $150-$200,000 for 17 weeks of practice. When you think about it and the best teacher in the country who literally turns lives around makes about 1/10 what the worst NFL player in the country makes who never even made it off the bench. To me that shows where our priorities are and our level of worship on sports and Hollywood. Like anyone would say “no thanks, I’ll go back to working at Best Buy” if the standard for salaries, TV or sports, were 1/5 what they are now. They’d still very well off financially.
  • Options
    At the 14 hour mark I’m getting some pretty bad chills and a mild temperature but no other symptoms.  Felt good most of the day though.  

This is a totally normal immune response and not unexpected.  If anything, it’s proving to me that I’d never want to get the actual virus itself and reaffirming my decision to get vaccinated 

Great news! And amen to effects vs. virus.
  • Options
    Seems Tom Cruz’s faith in Scientology is faltering.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Brilliantati©
  • Options

How did you get the vaccine. Are you a health care worker?
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,400

Either that or a 4 digit 10 club number.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Hahah seniority 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    Poncier said:

Or a sharpie and a list.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Speaking of which, do you think A, that any Tricky Team Trump Treason Tax Cheat family members or administration officials listen to or have ever been to a PJ concert or B, anyone of them listen to music, of any genre/group, etc.?

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    cutz said:
    https://www.businessinsider.com/sweden-admits-coronavirus-strategy-underestimated-strenght-virus-lofven-stefan-2020-12

Sweden's prime minister admits the country got its coronavirus strategy wrong

Sweden's prime minister has admitted that the country misjudged its response to the second coronavirus surge, as intensive-care units in the capital Stockholm become overwhelmed with patients.

Sweden recorded 8,088 deaths from all causes last month, the country's statistics agency announced on Monday. That was the country's second-highest number of monthly deaths on record, surpassed only by the country's worst month of the 1918 influenza pandemic.

"I think that most people in the profession didn't see such a wave in front of them — they talked about different clusters," Prime Minister Stefan Lofven told the newspaper Aftonbladet.

"It was not like we were not prepared for something to happen again, but no one could predict that it would be with this strength," he said.

"It is proof that it is a virus that we did not know about before and that behaves in a way many would not have thought."

Lofven acknowledged the government had made mistakes.

"Some conclusions about where we could have been better have already been drawn," he said. "Take, for example, elderly care. There we need to do more, and there we increase in the next budget."

The prime minister's interview came as an independent report into Sweden's pandemic response by scientists and crisis-management experts in the country concluded that his government had failed to sufficiently protect the country's older population.

The commission said the Swedish government and its predecessors were ultimately to blame for the failure to protect older people, The Guardian reported.

Lofven's government is gradually shifting away from its resistance to lockdown restrictions and has already imposed a ban on the sale of alcohol after 10 p.m. and has prohibited public gatherings of more than eight people.

High schools have also been closed for the rest of the term, and the government is drafting emergency legislation that could allow the imposition of lockdowns and business closings, The New York Times reports.

"We need a few weeks of lockdown to get the numbers down," Tove Fall, a professor in molecular epidemiology at Sweden's Uppsala University, told The Times.

"Other countries are taking much higher precautions at lower transmission levels."

The shift toward a more restrictive approach comes after the country's predictions that it would avoid a so-called second wave of the virus were proved wrong.

Anders Tegnell, the chief epidemiologist behind Sweden's no-lockdown approach, said earlier this year that opting against a strict lockdown would help Sweden build up its population's immunity and lessen the chances of a fall or winter surge in cases.

Sweden, however, has since been hit by a much larger resurgence of the virus than its neighbors.

Sweden had recorded 7,667 deaths as a result of the coronavirus as of Wednesday morning, according to data from Johns Hopkins University, far more than any of its neighbors.

Hospitals in Sweden's cities are now struggling to cope with a sharp rise in the number of new cases, with officials in its capital, Stockholm, warning that intensive-care units were already beyond capacity.

"We are far beyond 100% of capacity in intensive care. We are approaching almost double the number of available spaces," Bjorn Eriksson, a regional health director in Stockholm, said on Tuesday, The Times reported.

As a result, Sweden's neighbors, which have all imposed much stricter restrictions on their populations, this week offered emergency medical assistance to the country to help it cope with the surge in hospitalizations.

Chaos

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    King Carl XVI Gustaf describes 2020 as a terrible year and says that Sweden's attempt to save lives during the pandemic has failed.
    - I think we have failed. We have a large number who have died and it is terrible, he says in SVT's "The year with the royal family".
    He further says that "the Swedish people have suffered enormously in difficult conditions" and that he thinks of all those who have not been able to say goodbye to their loved ones.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,815
    mace1229 said:

I lived in LA a good chunk of my life. It’s funny, people who are are into it can spot celebrities often. I couldn’t care less, most of the time when I was with friends and they pointed someone out I didn’t even know who it was. I generally stayed away from those hot spots because everything is overpriced, but when I was in my 20s that’s where coworkers and friends want to go for happy hour.
    But what makes me mad is how much money they make, and really shows our level of worship. Not just Hollywood, but sports too. NFL minimum is $600,000. Even  practice squad makes $150-$200,000 for 17 weeks of practice. When you think about it and the best teacher in the country who literally turns lives around makes about 1/10 what the worst NFL player in the country makes who never even made it off the bench. To me that shows where our priorities are and our level of worship on sports and Hollywood. Like anyone would say “no thanks, I’ll go back to working at Best Buy” if the standard for salaries, TV or sports, were 1/5 what they are now. They’d still very well off financially.
    Glad you are not a math teacher.  

Entertainers get paid what the market will bear
    Not their problem we underpay teachers in many parts of the country.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,679
    Poncier said:

Hahah I wish that was the case

but yes I’m a resident at a hospital outside of Boston

24 hour update, the chills went away after about 4 hours, but still having a good amount of fatigue today.  Kind of the classic “feels like you got hit by a truck” statement.
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
    2024: Las Vegas I / Las Vegas II / New York City I / New York City II / Philly I / Philly II / Baltimore
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844
    Poncier said:

Hahah I wish that was the case

but yes I’m a resident at a hospital outside of Boston

24 hour update, the chills went away after about 4 hours, but still having a good amount of fatigue today.  Kind of the classic “feels like you got hit by a truck” statement.

I hope you either have a day off today, or a light day at work. Residency is tough. Hoping you're not on call today! 

Thanks for the updates. 

my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    I don't think what what dreams is suggesting is a bad idea. no, most of US don't follow what celebrities do, but a pretty significant section of the globe actually does. the more people with massive platforms show that they are getting it, that it's trust worthy, the better. politicians, famous scholars, athletes, musicians; all of em. 

although, people will still come up with "yeah, i bet they just got an injection of saline", but I think it would still be a net positive. 
    I always heard celebrities aren't looked on as highly in other countries? That's why a lot will live in Europe or move back to Australia or whatever, because they are more normal there and not semi-gods that people here treat them like. 
    Either way, the fact anyone does something, good or bad, because a celebrity told them to and not because its the smart thing to do, is still an idiot. I like my idea of creating penalties for not following through with the second vaccine and charging them for the first if they don't get the full treatment. 
    If an idiot gets the vaccine because a celebrity told them too, isn't that still a good thing though? I mean... we're all in agreement that everyone should get vaccinated, right? 

Idiots live among us, there's no getting around that fact... just look at all the people who think the election was rigged. 
    Yes I agree we should be vaccinated and someone getting it because a celebrity told them is still a good thing.
    I just think more people are tired of listening to celebrities and seeing their out of touch comments than there are people who are on the fence but because Kim Kardashian says to do it finally gets pushed to getting one. 
    At the end of the day I doubt it makes a big difference either way, so I prefer to stop worshiping celebrities and giving them the spotlight. We spend way too much money and focus on people who aren’t really that important to our existence.
    Yeah, celebrities & Hollywood = bad, got it. 

300k+ dead Americans and CA reporting 50k+ new cases yesterday is also bad. 

Celebrities getting vaccinated & potentially motivating some fans to do the same = good

I get the disdain for celebrities, and share in it. I can also set it aside and accept that celebrities getting publicly vaccinated is a good thing, regardless of their motivation. I fail to see the problem here and think complaints about it are incredibly short sighted. 
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

Yeah, celebrities & Hollywood = bad, got it. 

300k+ dead Americans and CA reporting 50k+ new cases yesterday is also bad. 

Celebrities getting vaccinated & potentially motivating some fans to do the same = good

I get the disdain for celebrities, and share in it. I can also set it aside and accept that celebrities getting publicly vaccinated is a good thing, regardless of their motivation. I fail to see the problem here and think complaints about it are incredibly short sighted. 
    You know, I have to change my stance and agree with you (not that I don’t wish effective vaccinations for ALL), in that in this case, the ends do justify the means. 

I just abhor the means...the meaners? :lol:
  • Options
    mace1229 said:

i get what you are saying. but the movie and sports industry owners make a shit ton just by the nature of their business. should those "playing" for the camera not get a piece of that pie? for decades they didn't. 

funny you mention the NFL. that's why the CFL has such difficulty attracting american talent. top salaries for starting QB's in the CFL are often just barely comparable to players who never see a play. the only ones that jump ship are the ones that are aware they'll never see a down and just want to play. 

I can't imagine giving up $300K US to do nothing to make $60K CDN to ruin your body. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Attacking celebrities on the internet, let me guess - right wingers?
This discussion has been closed.