The coronavirus

Comments

• oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844
    seeing the footage of front line workers getting the vaccine makes me very happy. hopefully it is as safe and effective as the studies reported.
    Yeah. I was going to say I don’t want to grow a third arm or anything, but actually that might be really helpful in climbing, so... 

I’m thinking my turn will come about February but we’ll see. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Im not sure its a failure  to need a vaccine. Look at polio as one example 

Yeah, if I was going to make a list of failures in response to this pandemic, "having to be rescued by a vaccine" wouldn't even be considered. 
    What if this would have been a pandemic with no vaccine withing it's first year then?

I think it's scary the richest countries in the world couldn't get this under control/de facto kill this free reigning form of it. 

Scary stuff
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    Im not sure its a failure  to need a vaccine. Look at polio as one example 

Yeah, if I was going to make a list of failures in response to this pandemic, "having to be rescued by a vaccine" wouldn't even be considered. 
    What if this would have been a pandemic with no vaccine withing it's first year then?

I think it's scary the richest countries in the world couldn't get this under control/de facto kill this free reigning form of it. 

Scary stuff
    Yes, it’s scary but that doesn’t imply that there realistically was a way for the whole world to get it under control without a vaccine. 
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 13,490
    edited December 2020
    Im not sure its a failure  to need a vaccine. Look at polio as one example 

Scary stuff
    Yes, it’s scary but that doesn’t imply that there realistically was a way for the whole world to get it under control without a vaccine. 
    I agree.
    Post edited by lastexitlondon on
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,946
    Are gyms allowed to stay open? 
  • We are now in the highest restrictions.  
    This shit is real. The  virus has mutated in the south here. They  say 1000 cases of new strain
    Who is saying this?
    This shit is real. The  virus has mutated in the south here. They  say 1000 cases of new strain
    Who is saying this?

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/1214/1184377-uk-restrictions-christmas/

"UK Health Secretary Matt Hancock has told the House of Commons a new variant of coronavirus has been identified in England.

In a statement, Mr Hancock said: "Over the last few days, thanks to our world-class genomic capability in the UK, we have identified a new variant of coronavirus which may be associated with the faster spread in the South of England." " 

• BentleyspopBentleyspop Posts: 10,663
    Who is saying this?

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/1214/1184377-uk-restrictions-christmas/

"UK Health Secretary Matt Hancock has told the House of Commons a new variant of coronavirus has been identified in England.

In a statement, Mr Hancock said: "Over the last few days, thanks to our world-class genomic capability in the UK, we have identified a new variant of coronavirus which may be associated with the faster spread in the South of England." " 

I think this is important to point out as well....

Mr Hancock added: "I must stress at this point that there is currently nothing to suggest that this variant is more likely to cause serious disease and the latest clinical advice is that it's highly unlikely that this mutation would fail to respond to a vaccine
    Who is saying this?

I think this is important to point out as well....

Mr Hancock added: "I must stress at this point that there is currently nothing to suggest that this variant is more likely to cause serious disease and the latest clinical advice is that it's highly unlikely that this mutation would fail to respond to a vaccine
    My comment was only in response to your question. 
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,301
    bbiggs said:
    Yes. Our governor is an asshole. But make sure you pick up his new book! About being a leader during a pandemic. Even though the pandemic is not over. 
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,946
    nicknyr15 said:
    bbiggs said:
    Yes. Our governor is an asshole. But make sure you pick up his new book! About being a leader during a pandemic. Even though the pandemic is not over. 
    I feel your pain.  I've listened to all of the explanations and there's nothing that will help me understand how indoor gyms are safe and restaurants are not (take bars out of the equation).

bbiggs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    bbiggs said:
    I feel your pain.  I've listened to all of the explanations and there's nothing that will help me understand how indoor gyms are safe and restaurants are not (take bars out of the equation).

1.34% is the rate of transmission for indoor dining during this second wave. That’s it. It makes no sense. 
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,332
    nicknyr15 said:
    bbiggs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    bbiggs said:

1.34% is the rate of transmission for indoor dining during this second wave. That’s it. It makes no sense. 
    Where did you get that #?
    hippiemom = goodness
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,332
    nicknyr15 said:
    bbiggs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    bbiggs said:

Oh I see now.  And you states "second wave" as well.  Interesting.  I wonder why?
    hippiemom = goodness
  • CM189191CM189191 Posts: 6,927
    nicknyr15 said:
    bbiggs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    bbiggs said:

18,804,000 million people
    *1.34% rate of transmission
    *4.3% NY deaths/cases

Well that's *only* 10,900 dead

What's the big deal?  Makes no sense....
    CM189191 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    bbiggs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    bbiggs said:

*4.3% NY deaths/cases

Massage parlors, barbershops, nail salons, gyms all remain open. You can have your opinion, I’ll have mine. You work from home? I’d bet you’d have a different opinion if you owned or worked at a restaurant. 
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Posts: 10,663
    Here's some math for you...

Over 300,000 dead Americans and not slowing down 
    300,000 who did not need to die
    300,000 dead because the selfish pricks at the top care more about money then people.
    300,000 dead because too many millions of Americans think it was okay to vote for a reality game show host and failed businessman. 
    300,000+
    nicknyr15 said:
    CM189191 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    bbiggs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    bbiggs said:

*4.3% NY deaths/cases

Massage parlors, barbershops, nail salons, gyms all remain open. You can have your opinion, I’ll have mine. You work from home? I’d bet you’d have a different opinion if you owned or worked at a restaurant. 
    I agree with you: Massage parlors, barbershops, nail salons, gyms should also be closed.

Here's what's wrong with your opinion: you think the shutdown only affects you. You think it only affects restaurants. It affects everyone. Yes I work from home, in commercial insurance, in risk management. Many of our clients are restaurants. Our client's business gets affected, our business gets affected. 
    CM189191 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    CM189191 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    bbiggs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    bbiggs said:

*4.3% NY deaths/cases

I agree with you: Massage parlors, barbershops, nail salons, gyms should also be closed.

Here's what's wrong with your opinion: you think the shutdown only affects you. You think it only affects restaurants. It affects everyone. Yes I work from home, in commercial insurance, in risk management. Many of our clients are restaurants. Our client's business gets affected, our business gets affected. 
    Fair point for sure. To be fair I have a paint store. But I’m surrounded by a lot of restaurants and see how bad they’re struggling. It’s upsetting. 
    nicknyr15 said:
    CM189191 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    CM189191 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    bbiggs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    bbiggs said:

*4.3% NY deaths/cases

Fair point for sure. To be fair I have a paint store. But I’m surrounded by a lot of restaurants and see how bad they’re struggling. It’s upsetting. 

I hear you, it is upsetting. Opening restaurants right now ain't the answer though. 
  • This is how some think....we may never get moving forward again.

This is how some think....we may never get moving forward again.

I’m not sure which side you’re arguing, from your comment. 
    Also don’t think anyone actually thinks that. 
    dignin said:
    Rich nations, like Canada, have bought too many coronavirus vaccines: Amnesty International - National | Globalnews.ca

Math is not the Prime Minister's strength.  Corruption is more of his strength....
    You're upset that Trudeau acquired too many vaccines? 
    Conservatives here were raging that he didn't get enough, now they are raging that he got too much. Even though it has been explicitly stated that we will be giving to less fortunate countries.

Turns out conservatives in Canada share many characteristics as conservatives in the US. One of them being no shame.
    And more on that theme - conservatives last week were irate that Canada wouldn't receive vaccine until the first quarter of 2021, complaining that government incompetency meant we were destined to be one of the "have not" countries. Now that the process of review and approval  has gone smoother than expected and vaccine is expected to arrive next week, the conservatives are screaming that the federal government "lied" to the public about the timeline so "how can the public trust them on anything?". Getting your digs in supersedes being pleased about a positive outcome for the country. 
    advice: don't follow Theo Fleury on twitter. he's the Aubrey Huff of Canadian social media athlete politics. 

advice: don't assume anyone else is on twitter.
    Unfollowing AOC and Obama now!
    If it makes you happy. 
    You missed the sarcasm apparently...
    You did too 
    Mine was clearly sarcastic, with you, no one knows?

This was also sarcastic and looking for a song lyric to follow...

Where does it end?
    Over the rainbow.
    Not for you. 
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    nicknyr15 said:
    Ridiculous imo. 
    What strikes me as ridiculous is the degree to which our society and economy depends on and revolves around people being too lazy to cook for themselves lol
    Obviously I don't want to see businesses closing and people losing livelihoods, but there are too many damn restaurants to begin with!  
    We are approaching a year since we have eaten take out (with the exception of a single pizza from our favorite joint for a birthday celebration) and it really isn't a big deal, even with full time jobs.  

Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Sure am glad new cases have plateaued so close to Christmas.

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • rgambs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Ridiculous imo. 
    What strikes me as ridiculous is the degree to which our society and economy depends on and revolves around people being too lazy to cook for themselves lol
    Obviously I don't want to see businesses closing and people losing livelihoods, but there are too many damn restaurants to begin with!  
    We are approaching a year since we have eaten take out (with the exception of a single pizza from our favorite joint for a birthday celebration) and it really isn't a big deal, even with full time jobs.  

I love to eat at restaurants and we have gone since March with no visits to one.  It is unfortunate and I do feel for the owners but agree that this is a pretty straightforward precaution for people to take 
    Out of my work and personal circle of people I would guess the number of people who feel this way is less than 10%.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Also don’t think anyone actually thinks that. 
    Aside from the 195% part, which was the joke, there are tons of people out there that believe that they will be just fine without the vaccine. 
  • rgambs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Ridiculous imo. 

I hope you don’t go out to eat only because you don’t want to cook. 
This discussion has been closed.