Options

The coronavirus

Comments

• Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,305
    Poncier said:
    At the 14 hour mark I’m getting some pretty bad chills and a mild temperature but no other symptoms.  Felt good most of the day though.  

I’m 28, active and healthy, no medications or medical conditions 

This is a totally normal immune response and not unexpected.  If anything, it’s proving to me that I’d never want to get the actual virus itself and reaffirming my decision to get vaccinated 

How did you get the vaccine. Are you a health care worker?
    Either that or a 4 digit 10 club number.
    Hahah I wish that was the case

but yes I’m a resident at a hospital outside of Boston

24 hour update, the chills went away after about 4 hours, but still having a good amount of fatigue today.  Kind of the classic “feels like you got hit by a truck” statement.
    thanks for the updates. i am in surgery sales so in and out of a lot of ORs and surgery centers. no word on when i can potentially get it. it is good to know some things we can expect to experience. a friend of mine was vaccinated yesterday. she was advised to take the day after vaccination off of work. hopefully she is doing ok.

hope you feel better soon!
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,390
    Poncier said:
    At the 14 hour mark I’m getting some pretty bad chills and a mild temperature but no other symptoms.  Felt good most of the day though.  

This is a totally normal immune response and not unexpected.  If anything, it’s proving to me that I’d never want to get the actual virus itself and reaffirming my decision to get vaccinated 

24 hour update, the chills went away after about 4 hours, but still having a good amount of fatigue today.  Kind of the classic “feels like you got hit by a truck” statement.
    Hope you don't have to shovel today.
    Feel better.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Attacking celebrities on the internet, let me guess - right wingers?
    Oh please. Stop trying to fan imaginary flames. 
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,221
    Poncier said:

I am glad you are feeling better. I assume you didn't have Covid in the past. I wonder what the side effects of the vaccine will be for those of us who have already had a mild case of Covid. For example, I had a mild case in March with fatigue and loss of smell and taste. I did not have a fever or chills, or a cough. I wonder if the vaccine will have different side effects (or none at all) for those who already have antibodies. Does anyone know anything about this?

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,066
    mace1229 said:
    i don't trust nor distrust them. they are regular people to me. just a different job with wildly different social events. except when you have 8 million followers to my 97, you tend to have more ears than i do. 

feigned altruism? does living in LA cause that level of cynicism? (serious question)
    I lived in LA a good chunk of my life. It’s funny, people who are are into it can spot celebrities often. I couldn’t care less, most of the time when I was with friends and they pointed someone out I didn’t even know who it was. I generally stayed away from those hot spots because everything is overpriced, but when I was in my 20s that’s where coworkers and friends want to go for happy hour.
    But what makes me mad is how much money they make, and really shows our level of worship. Not just Hollywood, but sports too. NFL minimum is $600,000. Even  practice squad makes $150-$200,000 for 17 weeks of practice. When you think about it and the best teacher in the country who literally turns lives around makes about 1/10 what the worst NFL player in the country makes who never even made it off the bench. To me that shows where our priorities are and our level of worship on sports and Hollywood. Like anyone would say “no thanks, I’ll go back to working at Best Buy” if the standard for salaries, TV or sports, were 1/5 what they are now. They’d still very well off financially.
    Glad you are not a math teacher.  

Entertainers get paid what the market will bear
    Not their problem we underpay teachers in many parts of the country.
    What does the market have to do with teaching math?
    Obviously they get paid what the market allows, never said it didn't. The market allows it because people are willing to pay $100 a ticket and $12 a beer to watch an NFL game, so the owners can afford to pay the worst player in the league 600k. Not sure what any of that has to do with teaching math. If anything, teaching economics, but I didn't dispute any of that. It just shows the level of devotion we have. Same applies with TV and movies. 40 years ago movie stars and athletes didn't make anything close compared to what they do today, even considering inflation. 
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    I don't think what what dreams is suggesting is a bad idea. no, most of US don't follow what celebrities do, but a pretty significant section of the globe actually does. the more people with massive platforms show that they are getting it, that it's trust worthy, the better. politicians, famous scholars, athletes, musicians; all of em. 

and especially: REPUBLICANS

although, people will still come up with "yeah, i bet they just got an injection of saline", but I think it would still be a net positive. 
    I always heard celebrities aren't looked on as highly in other countries? That's why a lot will live in Europe or move back to Australia or whatever, because they are more normal there and not semi-gods that people here treat them like. 
    Either way, the fact anyone does something, good or bad, because a celebrity told them to and not because its the smart thing to do, is still an idiot. I like my idea of creating penalties for not following through with the second vaccine and charging them for the first if they don't get the full treatment. 
    If an idiot gets the vaccine because a celebrity told them too, isn't that still a good thing though? I mean... we're all in agreement that everyone should get vaccinated, right? 

Again, I fail to see the problem with celebrities promoting the vaccine. 

Idiots live among us, there's no getting around that fact... just look at all the people who think the election was rigged. 
    Yes I agree we should be vaccinated and someone getting it because a celebrity told them is still a good thing.
    I just think more people are tired of listening to celebrities and seeing their out of touch comments than there are people who are on the fence but because Kim Kardashian says to do it finally gets pushed to getting one. 
    At the end of the day I doubt it makes a big difference either way, so I prefer to stop worshiping celebrities and giving them the spotlight. We spend way too much money and focus on people who aren’t really that important to our existence.
    Yeah, celebrities & Hollywood = bad, got it. 

300k+ dead Americans and CA reporting 50k+ new cases yesterday is also bad. 

Celebrities getting vaccinated & potentially motivating some fans to do the same = good

I get the disdain for celebrities, and share in it. I can also set it aside and accept that celebrities getting publicly vaccinated is a good thing, regardless of their motivation. I fail to see the problem here and think complaints about it are incredibly short sighted. 
    Never said they were bad. I just think they are grossly overpaid. There is a huge difference between being bad and being over paid, not nearly the same thing. 
    You think a college football coach deserves to be paid 10 times what the state governor does? I don't. I don't care how good of a coach you are, the governor of the state should make more than the coach of a public university, but a winning coach can make millions a year. A governor does a great job, he might get relected. 
    Anyway, this topic came up because someone said more celebrities should encourage people to take the vaccine. My comment was that's sad, we already worship them enough. Why lift them up more as being the angels from God saying take this vaccine. I guess if it works its a good thing, I just don't see that many people really deciding to take a vaccine or not because they saw some YouTube star do it who wasn't already going to. 
    I guess that makes me a bad math teacher according to F-Me
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    hedonist said:
    I don't think what what dreams is suggesting is a bad idea. no, most of US don't follow what celebrities do, but a pretty significant section of the globe actually does. the more people with massive platforms show that they are getting it, that it's trust worthy, the better. politicians, famous scholars, athletes, musicians; all of em. 

although, people will still come up with "yeah, i bet they just got an injection of saline", but I think it would still be a net positive. 
    That means one would have to trust most of those people. I do not. Not when it comes to my own life decisions - which this is. 
    Okay, let me change "celebrity" to "people who promote positive behavior to the public." Sheesh -- you don't have to do things because celebrities do. Not my point.  My point is that a lot of people are going to skip the second dose. Doctors know this. Life fucking happens. People may forget. People may not be educated about the importance of it. People may not like the side effects the first time around. Not every body is as perfect like the members of this forum.

I'm just wondering what the messaging is going to be to stress the importance of the second dose. Is there is going to be any tracking to know how much is being wasted and how much we achieve the 70% goal? 

I'm beginning to sense that a lot of people's nerves are completely shot. Take good care of yourself folks. 
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

I always heard celebrities aren't looked on as highly in other countries? That's why a lot will live in Europe or move back to Australia or whatever, because they are more normal there and not semi-gods that people here treat them like. 
    Either way, the fact anyone does something, good or bad, because a celebrity told them to and not because its the smart thing to do, is still an idiot. I like my idea of creating penalties for not following through with the second vaccine and charging them for the first if they don't get the full treatment. 
    If an idiot gets the vaccine because a celebrity told them too, isn't that still a good thing though? I mean... we're all in agreement that everyone should get vaccinated, right? 

Idiots live among us, there's no getting around that fact... just look at all the people who think the election was rigged. 
    Yes I agree we should be vaccinated and someone getting it because a celebrity told them is still a good thing.
    I just think more people are tired of listening to celebrities and seeing their out of touch comments than there are people who are on the fence but because Kim Kardashian says to do it finally gets pushed to getting one. 
    At the end of the day I doubt it makes a big difference either way, so I prefer to stop worshiping celebrities and giving them the spotlight. We spend way too much money and focus on people who aren’t really that important to our existence.

Celebrities getting vaccinated & potentially motivating some fans to do the same = good

I get the disdain for celebrities, and share in it. I can also set it aside and accept that celebrities getting publicly vaccinated is a good thing, regardless of their motivation. I fail to see the problem here and think complaints about it are incredibly short sighted. 
    Never said they were bad. I just think they are grossly overpaid. There is a huge difference between being bad and being over paid, not nearly the same thing. 
    You think a college football coach deserves to be paid 10 times what the state governor does? I don't. I don't care how good of a coach you are, the governor of the state should make more than the coach of a public university, but a winning coach can make millions a year. A governor does a great job, he might get relected. 
    Anyway, this topic came up because someone said more celebrities should encourage people to take the vaccine. My comment was that's sad, we already worship them enough. Why lift them up more as being the angels from God saying take this vaccine. I guess if it works its a good thing, I just don't see that many people really deciding to take a vaccine or not because they saw some YouTube star do it who wasn't already going to. 
    Bolded part -- no that's not what I said. That's how it was interpreted. I suggested that the celebrities -- i.e, people like Obama who plan to get their vaccine on television -- should show us getting the second dose to remind everyone to get their second dose. How about all the feel-good coverage of "the first nurse to get the vaccine"? Let's see the first nurse in 21 days getting her second dose. People need to be reminded that it's part of the deal -- not because they're idiots, but because they're humans with flaws that deserve some forgiveness. And I don't want to see any of this vaccine wasted!

• Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,975
    You raised a good point, dreamer. I guess because the first available doses are mostly for health workers, politicians, and high risk elders that there will be better follow up than what we will see for the remainder of the population. Perhaps immunization card benefits could also increase 2nd dose compliance.
  • Options
    hedonist said:

That means one would have to trust most of those people. I do not. Not when it comes to my own life decisions - which this is. 
    Okay, let me change "celebrity" to "people who promote positive behavior to the public." Sheesh -- you don't have to do things because celebrities do. Not my point.  My point is that a lot of people are going to skip the second dose. Doctors know this. Life fucking happens. People may forget. People may not be educated about the importance of it. People may not like the side effects the first time around. Not every body is as perfect like the members of this forum.

I'm just wondering what the messaging is going to be to stress the importance of the second dose. Is there is going to be any tracking to know how much is being wasted and how much we achieve the 70% goal? 

I'm beginning to sense that a lot of people's nerves are completely shot. Take good care of yourself folks. 
    Whoa whoa...my nerves aren’t yet frayed, considering. And many who “promote” are indeed full of shit. Not all of course, but many.

Also, you may have missed my earlier post. 

mace, public servants should not be paid more than X, Y or Z. I don’t think they’re meant to live high on the hog, on our dime. 
  • Options
    hedonist said:

That is a good point. I assume most people are aware that you need 2 doses, but maybe not. I first pictured the message being like the ones during the first shutdown of celebrities telling people what to do, which didn't go well with a lot of people. But an informative message is different.
    Sounds like we're still a few months away from it being available to the general, healthy public after they prioritize workers, age and at risk. I haven't heard any information at all how that is going to roll out, but I have some assumptions about what that will probably look like.  Whoever gives the first dose will go over many times that you need the second dose in order to be successful. I would imagine they will probably schedule it right there and give reminders. I get auto calls for just about everything I ever sign up for, appointments for my pet, repairs to my bike or skis, etc. So shouldn't be too difficult to set up reminders for a vaccine by whatever agency is doing it. If you're willing to get a first dose, but not willing to listen to the doctor giving it to you about a follow up dose, not sure what else we can do.
    The short shelf life and extreme storing conditions are going to be the bigger obstacle. Not sure if they can do just walk ins when you want to avoid lines and wait times, as well as preserve the vaccine and plan for what you need. But requiring appointments and sticking with it will prove to be too difficult for many, so who knows. 
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Poncier said:
    Poncier said:

Hope you don't have to shovel today.
    Feel better.
    My wife should be done with our driveway and walk soon. Should I send her his way when she's done here?
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,610
    edited December 2020
    hedonist said:
    Question seemingly answered.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    A friend had been guaranteeing here in Gothenburg best he could for like 2 weeks, so he could limit the risk when flying up and visit his parents over christmas in the north of Sweden.

Now, his girlfriend had visited a friend who just got Covid confirmed. 

QUARANTEEING NULLIFIED
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    I guess I just don't understand how my genuinely curious question turned into 60 posts about celebrities. If I uncover any information about plans to track the second dose, I will share it. We know the entire public health response to this pandemic has been a shit show. Maybe I just don't trust we'll get the vaccine distribution any better. 
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,305
    i am seeing on social media that all of my former co-workers at the hospital are getting their vaccines today. i makes me happy to know because they have been busting their ass through this thing. this is the one thing that makes me miss that job. ready access to vaccines, tb tests, etc. 
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

I couldn’t give a shit right now about football coaches’ salaries compared to governors or anyone else for that matter; what you’re talking about is completely irrelevant to my point which is the more people who get vaccinated the better & if celebrities motivate more people to get vaccinated that is a good thing. Full stop. 

These other societal problems feel a lot less important at this point in time. 

Good fucking grief
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,811
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    i don't trust nor distrust them. they are regular people to me. just a different job with wildly different social events. except when you have 8 million followers to my 97, you tend to have more ears than i do. 

feigned altruism? does living in LA cause that level of cynicism? (serious question)
    I lived in LA a good chunk of my life. It’s funny, people who are are into it can spot celebrities often. I couldn’t care less, most of the time when I was with friends and they pointed someone out I didn’t even know who it was. I generally stayed away from those hot spots because everything is overpriced, but when I was in my 20s that’s where coworkers and friends want to go for happy hour.
    But what makes me mad is how much money they make, and really shows our level of worship. Not just Hollywood, but sports too. NFL minimum is $600,000. Even  practice squad makes $150-$200,000 for 17 weeks of practice. When you think about it and the best teacher in the country who literally turns lives around makes about 1/10 what the worst NFL player in the country makes who never even made it off the bench. To me that shows where our priorities are and our level of worship on sports and Hollywood. Like anyone would say “no thanks, I’ll go back to working at Best Buy” if the standard for salaries, TV or sports, were 1/5 what they are now. They’d still very well off financially.

Obviously they get paid what the market allows, never said it didn't. The market allows it because people are willing to pay $100 a ticket and $12 a beer to watch an NFL game, so the owners can afford to pay the worst player in the league 600k. Not sure what any of that has to do with teaching math. If anything, teaching economics, but I didn't dispute any of that. It just shows the level of devotion we have. Same applies with TV and movies. 40 years ago movie stars and athletes didn't make anything close compared to what they do today, even considering inflation. 
    Simple.  The two statements I made there are separate.
    Re: my statement at relief that you are not teaching future leaders the subject of math:
    Your math is not correct. 
    Your statement is that the best teacher in the country makes about 1/10 what the worst NFL player makes.
    The number you shared as the worst player's salary is $600,00.
    1/10 of that is $60,000.  "About 1/10" would give you some reasonable leeway of probably another +/-10% of that #....so $6,000.
    $54,000-$66,000

I guess the question would be who the best teacher in the country would be.
    Teachers in our district can make over $100,000, and many do based on the public listings each year.

If any of the best teachers in the country have access to six figures teaching in public schools then the minimum salary for NFL player would need to be $1MM for your math to work. 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,811
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

Not sharing math that makes sense is what made my statement valid. 
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,140
    I guess I just don't understand how my genuinely curious question turned into 60 posts about celebrities. If I uncover any information about plans to track the second dose, I will share it. We know the entire public health response to this pandemic has been a shit show. Maybe I just don't trust we'll get the vaccine distribution any better. 
    meh. these things often take on a life of their own and split into a different conversation even when that wasn't the intention. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    hedonist said:

Fuck celebrities.

Put me on your imagined list of right wingers?

Hedo, I know I am in good company!
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,140
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

Re: my statement at relief that you are not teaching future leaders the subject of math:
    Your statement is that the best teacher in the country makes about 1/10 what the worst NFL player makes.
    1/10 of that is $60,000.  "About 1/10" would give you some reasonable leeway of probably another +/-10% of that #....so $6,000.
    $54,000-$66,000

Teachers in our district can make over $100,000, and many do based on the public listings each year.

If any of the best teachers in the country have access to six figures teaching in public schools then the minimum salary for NFL player would need to be $1MM for your math to work. 
    i guess he should have rounded to the nearest hundredth to appease Mr Math Police here. 

did you really believe he was going for exact figures? come on. he was just making a point. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    hedonist said:

Fuck celebrities.

+1 for fuck celebrities. 

While I’m not a democrat, I sure AF ain’t a righty either. 
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

$54,000-$66,000

i guess he should have rounded to the nearest hundredth to appease Mr Math Police here. 

did you really believe he was going for exact figures? come on. he was just making a point. 

It wasn't even close, Mr Defense Attorney. 

Anyone who does that math and puts it out there is someone I can say I am glad is not teaching my kid math.
  • Options
    hedonist said:

Fuck celebrities.

+1 for fuck celebrities. 

While I’m not a democrat, I sure AF ain’t a righty either. 

Sounds like we sit in the same row. 
  • Options
    Are hospital staff in phase 1 in the US?

Found it weird they are in phase 2 here in Sweden.
  • Options
    hedonist said:

Fuck celebrities.

:)
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Are hospital staff in phase 1 in the US?

Found it weird they are in phase 2 here in Sweden.
    Who is in phase 1 there?

• Options
    The Johnson and Johnson vaccine is only one dose. Maybe this will help, too!
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    ah crap. Ski hill chalet reservation cancelled due to COVID among the 60 staffers who live in close quarters and/or party together.
This discussion has been closed.