Options

The coronavirus

Comments

• Options
    Also don’t think anyone actually thinks that. 
    Aside from the 195% part, which was the joke, there are tons of people out there that believe that they will be just fine without the vaccine. 
    I am hoping that I don't have to get the vaccine.  

Why?  How quick the vaccine was made and wondering about any side effects.  I would rather not be the person calling that 1800 hotline 10 years from now after watching on TV the "Did you take the blah blah vaccine for Covid in 2020?  If so you may be entitled to compensation."

I'll follow the science though and if/when I can get it, everyone is fine, I'll get it.
  • Options
    Get gubmint off our backs! Make them stop stepping on my neck! Defund the gubmint! Cut taxes, strangle the gubmint in the bathtub! Kill it! But don't take my social security or medicaid away, please. 'Murica.

Uncle Sam as entrepreneur

Before Covid-19, the record for the fastest vaccine development — for mumps — was four years. Most vaccines have required more than a decade of research and experimentation.
    Yet yesterday morning, less than a year after the discovery of Covid, a critical care nurse in Queens named Sandra Lindsay became the first American to participate in the mass vaccination program for the coronavirus. “I feel like healing is coming,” she said afterward.

It is a stunning story of scientific success.
    It also fits a pattern that stretches back decades: Many of the biggest technological breakthroughs in American history have not sprung from the private sector. They have instead been the result of collaboration between private companies and the federal government.

The Defense Department, after all, built the internet. Government research and development also led to transistors, silicon chips, radar, jet airplanes, satellites, artificial limbs, cortisone, flat screens and much more, as the M.I.T. economists Jonathan Gruber and Simon Johnson point out in their recent book, “Jump-Starting America.”

“Almost everything about your computer today — and the way you use it — stems from government funding at the early stages,” Gruber and Johnson write.

Why? Because basic research is usually too uncertain and expensive for any one company to afford. Often, it isn’t even clear which future products the research may create. No kitchen appliance company ever would have thought to do the military research that led to the microwave oven.

With Covid, the vaccines from both Pfizer and Moderna rely on years of government-funded (and sometimes government-conducted) research into viral proteins and genetics. That research, Kaiser Health News explains, is “the essential ingredient in the rapid development of vaccines in response to Covid-19.”

The federal help accelerated this year. The government funded Moderna’s work in recent months, as part of the billions of dollars it spent to make possible a record-breaking vaccine, The Atlantic’s Ed Yong writes. And while Pfizer turned down direct federal funding, it asked for the government’s help in procuring supplies and also signed a $1.95 billion “advance purchase” agreement with Washington.

As my colleague Neil Irwin has written: “The nine months of the pandemic have shown that in a modern state, capitalism can save the day — but only when the government exercises its power to guide the economy and act as the ultimate absorber of risk. The lesson of Covid capitalism is that big business needs big government, and vice versa.”

What are the lessons for the post-Covid world? Solving the biggest challenges, like climate change, will almost certainly depend on a combination of public-sector funding and private-sector ingenuity.
    Yet as Gruber and Johnson note, federal funding of science has become a smaller part of the U.S. economy than it used to be. Which means the Covid vaccine is both an inspiring success and something of an exception. “On its current course,” the economists write, “America seems unlikely to continue its dominance of invention.”

From the NYT email blast.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,174
    rgambs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Ridiculous imo. 
    What strikes me as ridiculous is the degree to which our society and economy depends on and revolves around people being too lazy to cook for themselves lol
    Obviously I don't want to see businesses closing and people losing livelihoods, but there are too many damn restaurants to begin with!  
    We are approaching a year since we have eaten take out (with the exception of a single pizza from our favorite joint for a birthday celebration) and it really isn't a big deal, even with full time jobs.  

i suppose if you're referring to KFC and mcdonald's, maybe. but my wife and I love to go out and share a nice dinner that is cooked for us to perfection, while we sit and relax with a glass of wine. 

sometimes we even like to take the kids. LOL

has zero to do with laziness. it's about enjoying each other's time. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,357
    rgambs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Ridiculous imo. 
    What strikes me as ridiculous is the degree to which our society and economy depends on and revolves around people being too lazy to cook for themselves lol
    Obviously I don't want to see businesses closing and people losing livelihoods, but there are too many damn restaurants to begin with!  
    We are approaching a year since we have eaten take out (with the exception of a single pizza from our favorite joint for a birthday celebration) and it really isn't a big deal, even with full time jobs.  

i suppose if you're referring to KFC and mcdonald's, maybe. but my wife and I love to go out and share a nice dinner that is cooked for us to perfection, while we sit and relax with a glass of wine. 

Yeah, I'm sure that is why a lot of people go out, but I also see a lot of people on their phones anyway and not really maximizing social interaction. Can't say I'm a big fan of eating out unless it's for convenience at this point in my life. Over priced meals and booze that would have been about $10 at home and we can still relax and have a good time without feeling rushed to get home to a babysitter we're also paying out the ass for. Date night ends up being like $200. I'd rather use that time to hike, bike, ski, snowshoe or whatever other physical activity there is to do based on the weather. Maybe even some horizontal or vertical dancing ;)
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,817
    rgambs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Ridiculous imo. 

Yuck.  Have not eaten at a McDonald's KFC type of fast food drive through joint since 2003 and I never will again.

Going to go out on a limb and guess that Gambs doesn't put that garbage in his body, either. 

Straight up poison.  I don't even consider that food. 

I love eating at restaurants for myriad reasons, one of which is that I get the night off.  Own up to that, no problem. 
    Look forward to when I can eat food other people cooked again - but until then I will continue avoiding. 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,642
    edited December 2020
    My boss needs to pick up my vinylplayer and a stack of vinyl to be used in a video shoot. 

Problem 1) Keeping the distance when he shows up and 2) have to clean my apartment because my boss is gonna have to step inside it

THIS IS DISTURBING MY QUARANTINE
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,846
    Yeah, I like to eat at restaurants for similar reasons. We do it (well, did it) once a week.  I'd do it more if not for the cost, time, and caloric intake. It's a form of entertainment. If one was to stick to the 100% perfect diet 100% of the time, one would never go to a restaurant. But even those that don't do less-than-ideal things at home.

For the health of America, I'd eliminate the soda industry well before I'd eliminate the restaurant industry.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,817
    My boss needs to pick up my vinylplayer and a stack of vinyl to be used in a video shoot. 

Problem 1) Keeping the distance when he shows up and 2) have to clean my apartment because my boss is gonna have to step inside it

THIS IS DISTURBING MY QUARANTINE

Just have him call you when he is about there and put in on your doorstep.  This seems pretty easy.  If he understands you are in quarantine he should be fine with it.  If he isn't, he is not a nice guy.
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Ridiculous imo. 

Yuck.  Have not eaten at a McDonald's KFC type of fast food drive through joint since 2003 and I never will again.

Going to go out on a limb and guess that Gambs doesn't put that garbage in his body, either. 

I love eating at restaurants for myriad reasons, one of which is that I get the night off.  Own up to that, no problem. 
    Look forward to when I can eat food other people cooked again - but until then I will continue avoiding. 
    i know he doesn't, but i thought maybe he was referring to that type of eating out when referring to people who do as "lazy". 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    tbergs said:
    rgambs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Ridiculous imo. 

Yeah, I'm sure that is why a lot of people go out, but I also see a lot of people on their phones anyway and not really maximizing social interaction. Can't say I'm a big fan of eating out unless it's for convenience at this point in my life. Over priced meals and booze that would have been about $10 at home and we can still relax and have a good time without feeling rushed to get home to a babysitter we're also paying out the ass for. Date night ends up being like $200. I'd rather use that time to hike, bike, ski, snowshoe or whatever other physical activity there is to do based on the weather. Maybe even some horizontal or vertical dancing ;)
    not sure why hiking and eating out are mutually exclusive. people like what they like. my wife and I, and a lot of other people, love the occasional nice meal out. we also enjoy a great hike. 

you can do both. and can't wait until we CAN do both again without restriction. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,811
    Aside from the 195% part, which was the joke, there are tons of people out there that believe that they will be just fine without the vaccine. 

Why?  How quick the vaccine was made and wondering about any side effects.  I would rather not be the person calling that 1800 hotline 10 years from now after watching on TV the "Did you take the blah blah vaccine for Covid in 2020?  If so you may be entitled to compensation."

I'll follow the science though and if/when I can get it, everyone is fine, I'll get it.
    You are in my mind??
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Ridiculous imo. 

i know he doesn't, but i thought maybe he was referring to that type of eating out when referring to people who do as "lazy". 

I would guess he is referring to all types, since The Rona does not know if the food is actual food or McFood. 
    He could tell us, I guess.
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    rgambs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Ridiculous imo. 

not sure why hiking and eating out are mutually exclusive. people like what they like. my wife and I, and a lot of other people, love the occasional nice meal out. we also enjoy a great hike. 

you can do both. and can't wait until we CAN do both again without restriction. 
    Went out to dinner Friday w my GF, Went Hiking Saturday and Birding/hiking Sunday.  You can do all of the above.
  • Options
    Anybody sign up for this?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QG5W99tQNJ8&feature=emb_logo

Its the Corona tracing app.
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited December 2020

Nope, seems a bit pointless and I don’t see how in the world it could be effective.  How the hell could it tell if you are near someone that has COVID unless the person with covid signs up for the app and self identifies?  How much of the general public are actually going to do that?
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options

yeah, i've had it about a month now. our governments are really pushing it but very few people are using it. i think there's a real worry out there that they are indeed tracking you for some nefarious reason. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

yeah, i've had it about a month now. our governments are really pushing it but very few people are using it. i think there's a real worry out there that they are indeed tracking you for some nefarious reason. 
    We live in a scary time where we can't/won't trust the government.  I keep thinking back to the Patriot act and how it was supposed to be for a greater good.
  • Options

We live in a scary time where we can't/won't trust the government.  I keep thinking back to the Patriot act and how it was supposed to be for a greater good.
    we can thank youtube for elevating the conspiracy theorist from tin foil hat status to mainstream. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    PJPOWER said:

Nope, seems a bit pointless and I don’t see how in the world it could be effective.  How the hell could it tell if you are near someone that has COVID unless the person with covid signs up for the app and self identifies?  How much of the general public are actually going to do that?
    Agreed. Nice idea but strikes me as inefficient unless EVERYONE is on it. And then what?

Personally don’t need or want it, as I’m pretty much just home these days anyway. 
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:

i see what you're saying. but if i have the app....then I get tested for covid and test positive....i enter that into the app, and basically the contact tracing is done for me/public health as it notifies anyone (obviously who also has the app) that was within a certain distance of me for 15 minutes or more and they, in turn, get tested and quarantine. with how contagious this virus is, and the length of time you could be asymptomatic, it could be very useful in squashing hundreds if not thousands of cases. 

of course it's only as effective as the amount of people that buy into it. if people think it's useless, then it will be. if people believe it's useful, then it also will be. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    unfortunately, people saying "I'm pretty much home all the time anyway" is a big part of the problem with this virus. all it takes is one 15 minute trip to the store or work or anywhere indoors and you can potentially infect yourself or hundreds of others. 

pretty much the same as people claiming they can speed or drive high, but others shouldn't, because they know what they're doing. 

covid complacency/arrogance is a real thing. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,976
    BC's health minister told us it wasn't effective for our particular epidemic experience. I wonder if-when it will be.
  • Options
    FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,222
    edited December 2020
    PJPOWER said:

Just brand it as the cool new social media fad of the week and you will likely have 50% participation right off the bat. If you can look at yourself on the screen that would probably boost participation by 30%.
    Post edited by FiveBelow on
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 28,059
    My wife and I love going out to different restaurants.  I m not sure how or why that would be considered lazy. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    My wife and I love going out to different restaurants.  I m not sure how or why that would be considered lazy. 
    Gambs lives out in the sticks where a burger is livin large.
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,079
    rgambs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Ridiculous imo. 

I boycotted McDonald's for 20 years. Now with 2 small kids I love it. Buy 1 get 1 free kid's meal on the app, I can feed the kids for $4 and cook dinner for us. Heat up some corn on the side to add to the happy meal, and let them play with that toy until it breaks the next day.
    There's definitely a selection of restaurants that are designed for being lazy, take n bake pizza or even baked carryout/delivery pizza, fast food, etc. Popeye's chicken has $1.79 Tuesdays for drumstick and thigh. I don't mind putting that garbage in my body every once in a while, just don't make it a habit. Everyone deserves a lazy evening of not cooking but don't want to drop $60 eating out somewhere nicer. 
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,976

Here's some science!

• Options
    tish said:

Here's some science!

Yes, this is how they got to 95% efficacy.
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    JW269453 said:
    PJPOWER said:

Just brand it as the cool new social media fad of the week and you will likely have 50% participation right off the bat. If you can look at yourself on the screen that would probably boost participation by 30%.
    That’s about right, ha
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    unfortunately, people saying "I'm pretty much home all the time anyway" is a big part of the problem with this virus. all it takes is one 15 minute trip to the store or work or anywhere indoors and you can potentially infect yourself or hundreds of others. 

pretty much the same as people claiming they can speed or drive high, but others shouldn't, because they know what they're doing. 

covid complacency/arrogance is a real thing. 
    Well, for me it’s just that. Going for a walk or to doc appointments. 

(And I think driving while impaired is stupid as fuck.)

This discussion has been closed.