Options

A safe place for anxiety sufferers to share.

Comments

• Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,921
    Glad to see you’ve found us @benjs.  I hope that your meds will help you find stability and a bit of normalcy.  I remember my first panic attack with dread still.  I’m glad you made it through.

@Matts3221 I’m glad that your anxiety has been eased a bit by the change in circumstances at work.  It’s one less thing to worry about when there seems to be a million.

sending out warm, healing thoughts to all.
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Options
    camsjamcamsjam Posts: 375
    benjs said:
    Matts3221 said:
    benjs said:
    I started on SSRIs last week for my first time to treat some depression that's been at bay for a while. On Saturday our building's fire alarm went off, and I sat in the corner trying not to focus on the sirens for 40 minutes while I felt my temperature rise and my heart race. Have never had an anxiety attack before but I suspect that's what it was.

Between Covid (the disease that's everywhere), Covid (the new work hat requiring everyone to drop all existing plans and pivot), Covid (the catalyst to financial question marks), Covid (the catalyst to social isolation), and the stressors and demons that were in my mind before this - times are tough.

Thinking about everyone who's mentally struggling and broadcasting hope for them into the ether.

Welcome to the board , those types of meds can sometimes take up to 4-5 weeks to really kick into their full effect , I know when I started so very long ago I had a super dry mouth for the first week of taken them but that went away after that.

Covid is making everyone on edge right now so I truly feel for you and post as often as you like we are here as a group for each other.

Panic Attacks are very very hard and I am so sorry if you suffer from them. I would certainly follow up with your doctor a month or so from now if things don't feel "right" , they may switch your meds or even add an anti anxity med to the mix , of course this is all what you feel is best for you. Never want to push what works for me on others just offer advice.

Hang in there we are all in this together.

Thanks so much for this, Matt! Indeed, I've got a super dry mouth these past few days (though I chalked it up to marijuana), but knock on wood, no other side effects yet (just that attack). Really hopeful that like you said, it's just my body adjusting to a new chemical presence.
    I had almost the exact same experience as Matt.  Just remember it can take some time and also may need to be tweaked but it's great you're fighting the depression!  This thread has an awesome group of people. All the best thoughts to you both.
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,996
    I must stop reading  the  thread  on amt . As soon as my eyes open i start. And you tube. Every single thing is about it. My lungs are shit prob from years of dust and sandstone  dust . 
    I wont survive. Ive no way out. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,757
    I must stop reading  the  thread  on amt . As soon as my eyes open i start. And you tube. Every single thing is about it. My lungs are shit prob from years of dust and sandstone  dust . 
    I wont survive. Ive no way out. 

It's hard to not want to stay informed, Rob, that's for sure.  But you're in good company- we can stick together and give each other encouragement.

I didn't do so today with keeping a balance.  I know I'm at risk as well. 

So I'm hoping we get a little break in the weather (but no complaints about this much needed rain and snow), just long enough to get out and get some fresh air and get off the internet.  Let's just take it a day at a time and make the most the time we have.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Thanks brian. I will ride  my bike  today. Although  im actually crippled by fear  and non stop cry
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    Matts3221Matts3221 Posts: 658

Wife pretty much furloughed yesterday without pay , trying to get thru to unemployment but all the lines are busy because offices are closed and they are saying roughly 50,000 calls are trying to come thru.

Just fuck man , I know it will be ok but fuck , just cried while drive to work this morning as I wanted to be brave for my wife.

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Matts3221 said:

Wife pretty much furloughed yesterday without pay , trying to get thru to unemployment but all the lines are busy because offices are closed and they are saying roughly 50,000 calls are trying to come thru.

Just fuck man , I know it will be ok but fuck , just cried while drive to work this morning as I wanted to be brave for my wife.

She may be trying to be brave for you too.  It's so damn hard for so damn many.

I think allowing ourselves to process this shit and feel vulnerable or just want to cry your eyes out...is as important as finding balance, reason, and shreds of normalcy and calm, no matter how small.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,575
    I almost feel like this whole thing is easing my anxiety TBH. If course I am horrified by the whole thing, and there is of course stress involved in thinking about all the consequences of this on people and the economy. I am also always concerned about my elderly parents. That said... my God, is it ever peaceful out there and in here, like from moment to moment. The streets are quiet, everyone has sloooowwwwed right down, the environment is even getting a bit of a break. There is a certain kind of peace coming with the chaos, and it's making me feel better to think of that aspect of all this. (But admit that's easy for me to say, as my income is 100% secure).
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    Woke up today... Still Alive..!!!!  Be Safe!
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    I'm used to social distancing so this new social distancing rule does not bother me. I avoid people and they avoid me. Especially at university.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    Everyone stay 1.5 posts away from me haha
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    I just got out of my GP's office and she reckons this will take 6 months and unless you are elderly and have a pre-existing condition there is no need to panic.
  • Options
    They will say that to keep people calm. 
    Its not strictly true sadly.  Be precautionary. 
    We are ahead of aus so far as far as numbers  and there  are some fucking  heart breaking  situations happening. Plus we dont really know what is going on internally.  
    I guess just please everybody take this seriously  and maybe be pleasantly  suprised in the future. 
    I mean this .  I have found you all here  have kept me alive at times over the past 2 years and i can only thank you from a far. From those who reached out privately  and sent me a cd or a message or a convo.
    You all are the  best people in this world. No matter  where  you live. 
    My true friends.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,940
    I just got out of my GP's office and she reckons this will take 6 months and unless you are elderly and have a pre-existing condition there is no need to panic.
    I think you might be confusing the vast majority of peoples' reactions as 'panic'. When epidemiologists are agreeing on a six-month minimum, high transmissibility, longer infectious period sometimes prior to presenting symptoms, when you express care for vulnerable people (the elderly, those with heart disease - which by the way you wouldn't know if you had most likely as a young person), it isn't 'panic' to call for social distancing and caution. It's pragmatism and empathy. 
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    Matts3221 said:

She may be trying to be brave for you too.  It's so damn hard for so damn many.

I think allowing ourselves to process this shit and feel vulnerable or just want to cry your eyes out...is as important as finding balance, reason, and shreds of normalcy and calm, no matter how small.

I got home last night from work and she was just balling , she feels like a failure and that I am going to resent her for this because I am going to work every day ( Just three of us but we all have our own offices so I feel safe at work )

I cried with her , I told her that I am sure I would feel the exact same way but it is what it is , we cannot control what happens we just have to stick this out together.

She feels like her job was her purpose and now she has no purpose  It got me thinking about how all of this may change society and the way we look at life when it is all over.  

We are not our jobs , we are not machines just made to further making the rich richer. I told her to create Art , she loves art , she loves to draw. I want her to take this time to focus on herself and her health.

I hope everyone out there is doing well today and holding it together.

• Options
    It's a loss for her, and she's mourning it...understandable.  Where both of you are is understandable.

For what it's worth, I haven't been able to work since becoming ill, and worry of my husband's resentment crosses my mind as well.  Yet as you said, some of this is simply out of our control.  He knows that, as do you.

Keep encouraging her on the art front!  It's a wonderful release and might serve as a productive distraction for her.

Bah - I'm rambling now.  Just know I wish you well :)
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    It's a loss for her, and she's mourning it...understandable.  Where both of you are is understandable.

For what it's worth, I haven't been able to work since becoming ill, and worry of my husband's resentment crosses my mind as well.  Yet as you said, some of this is simply out of our control.  He knows that, as do you.

Keep encouraging her on the art front!  It's a wonderful release and might serve as a productive distraction for her.

Bah - I'm rambling now.  Just know I wish you well :)

No worries at all thank you for the kind words.
  • Options
    Woke up today... Still Alive!  

playing in my head... :woke up, fell outta bed, dragged a comb across my head.... ::

• Options
    myoung321 said:
    Woke up today... Still Alive!  

playing in my head... :woke up, fell outta bed, dragged a comb across my head.... ::
    “I read the news today, oh boy.” Sorry, gallows humor ;)

In keeping with the theme though...”I’m taking the time for a number of things that weren’t important yesterday.” :)

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    edited March 2020
    Wrong thread.
    Hope everyone is doing ok.  I've been on edge lately, but dealing.  I know so many struggle so much more, I only hope they can have as much peace of mind as I'm lucky to have.
    Hang in there, folks.
    Post edited by rgambs on
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options

I have to say today is the first day I have felt pretty good. My wife started to put together a schedule for herself so she can structure her day. Working on her art for a few hours , just general care , she is making a nice dinner every night so that is good.

FaceTiming with family and friends. Maybe just letting go of all the worry , also I typical listen to NPR every morning on my way to work ( National Public Radio ) but shifted that to music and I think that had a big effect on my mood , instead of waking up to just listen to bad news was setting the wrong tone. Music helps me thru everything. Read some news when I get to work. Strange but not upset over the rising numbers in the US , I think because I assume there are 50K+ with the virus right now and we just need to catch up on testing.

Plan on finishing up Man In The High Castle this weekend , I have my sisters Disney Plus account so find something on there to watch. Not really someone who draws or paints but we are going to do some art together this weekend.

As I always so I am thinking of you all and hope everyone is doing as best as they can , please post whatever the fuck you want to scream if you are feeling trapped. We are all in this together. Honestly maybe one day everyone on this thread can be at the same PJ show and we can all hug each other.

Quick side note , put in earbuds when I got home last night to do the dishes and SuperBlood Wolfmoon came on my shuffle ( not a ton of PJ that shuffles thru so I have so much other music ) and I realized I was tearing up. God damn this band just gets me.

Love

• Options
    Long RedLong Red NY Posts: 185
    Glad this thread is here. I haven't experienced anxiety like this in a long time. For anyone who has been there, you know it comes in waves and you just gota ride the waves out. But right now it's extra difficult to ride out the waves because they keep coming and coming and coming. 
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,940
    Thank you guys for continuing to post here :) I've always found that the best way to cope with mental struggles, is to offer that same help to others. Not sure if you're all in the same boat, but truly, thank you for helping each other here. Love and empathy are in short supply these days, and I really do hope that a silver lining of all of this is the concept that we're all in this together.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    benjs said:
    Thank you guys for continuing to post here :) I've always found that the best way to cope with mental struggles, is to offer that same help to others. Not sure if you're all in the same boat, but truly, thank you for helping each other here. Love and empathy are in short supply these days, and I really do hope that a silver lining of all of this is the concept that we're all in this together.
    Yesterday while walking outside, the few people I passed actually smiled at me (doesn't happen too often where I live!), and there was this sense of community.  This crisis seems to have brought out the best and worst in many, and I'd rather use my energy productively - even if through a smile to a stranger.

There are some good souls among us.
  • Options
    Welcome to this thread Long Red

@Matts3221 the tone of your post reads as much calmer and more accepting of a situation over which you have no control.  That’s awesome.  You and your wife seem to be making the best of a bad situation which is wonderful.  I like that your wife has actually made a plan for her day.  I’m envious (in a good way).  I’ve never been very good at that type of discipline in my entire life!  If I’m not working or going to school my tendency is to stay awake all night, reading or watching tv, and sleep most of the day.  It still averages about eight hours of sleep, just on a different time-frame to most other people.  My parents are the same.

I, too, have found that limiting my time watching the news and being online has helped a lot with managing my anxiety right now.  I find that the thing I miss the most is going to the grocery store every couple of days.  
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    benjs said:
    Yesterday while walking outside, the few people I passed actually smiled at me (doesn't happen too often where I live!), and there was this sense of community.  This crisis seems to have brought out the best and worst in many, and I'd rather use my energy productively - even if through a smile to a stranger.

There are some good souls among us.
    Woke up... Still Alive! It's a great day!

One of the good things to come from this might be a stronger sense of community.

We depend on each other! 

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    I still cycle to work, and every day both ways I try to appreciate the beauty around me, both natural and man made. It helps a lot that the sun has been shining all week. 

The cycle paths have far fewer commuters but far more families, couples and singles out (with appropriate spacing). Yesterday I saw loads of parents out with kids getting healthy activity - sometimes a little too healthy - I saw two kids that did not look too delighted to be jogging with Dad ;). Overall the vibe is really nice and family-centred. One of my colleagues told me that she took a walk in a big downtown park yesterday evening and saw many families having picnic dinners - what a great idea!
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    Matts3221 said:

I have to say today is the first day I have felt pretty good. My wife started to put together a schedule for herself so she can structure her day. Working on her art for a few hours , just general care , she is making a nice dinner every night so that is good.

FaceTiming with family and friends. Maybe just letting go of all the worry , also I typical listen to NPR every morning on my way to work ( National Public Radio ) but shifted that to music and I think that had a big effect on my mood , instead of waking up to just listen to bad news was setting the wrong tone. Music helps me thru everything. Read some news when I get to work. Strange but not upset over the rising numbers in the US , I think because I assume there are 50K+ with the virus right now and we just need to catch up on testing.

Plan on finishing up Man In The High Castle this weekend , I have my sisters Disney Plus account so find something on there to watch. Not really someone who draws or paints but we are going to do some art together this weekend.

As I always so I am thinking of you all and hope everyone is doing as best as they can , please post whatever the fuck you want to scream if you are feeling trapped. We are all in this together. Honestly maybe one day everyone on this thread can be at the same PJ show and we can all hug each other.

Quick side note , put in earbuds when I got home last night to do the dishes and SuperBlood Wolfmoon came on my shuffle ( not a ton of PJ that shuffles thru so I have so much other music ) and I realized I was tearing up. God damn this band just gets me.

Love

I put myself on the same regimen early in the week. It was a good move -- limited daily news updates, exercise, house projects, telework. It makes a difference for sure. Glad you're feeling good today
  • Options
    Woke up... Still Alive!...... Happy Birthday to me  =)

• Options
    myoung321 said:
    Woke up... Still Alive!...... Happy Birthday to me  =)
    Happy Birthday @myoung321!  Hope you had a good one.