The Food Thread

Comments

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,175
    Ms. Haiku said:
    I finished soup 5 of my 300-soup project. #1 was the first time I used a broiler, it was a poblano white bean soup. I don't use oil, and maybe that is what caused the smoke when I broiled the peppers. Fire alarm went off. Oops. Maybe a little oil next time if that will stop the smoke.

Yesterday I cooked a black bean-vegetable soup. I added a little ginger and a little espresso-salt mixture I found at a holiday market. It needed a little heat, but solidly good. For the broth I used the aquafaba from when I cooked the beans in an instant pot. Onward to soup-cooking excellence!.

Perfect weather for soups you can’t go wrong 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Soups look good!

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,466
    That looks great. What do you use instead of oil?

It's going to be CUTLET NIGHT in the Juggler house
    www.myspace.com
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 8,973
    Looks very clean. Nice work.
    You could charr up the peppers on a grill too. I think if you oil the peppers they will still smoke. (Maybe combust!)
  • We don't have the word broil here. What  does it mean?
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    edited December 2023
    We don't have the word broil here. What  does it mean?
    "Broiling is the cooking technique that uses radiant heat from above to cook your food, so it's like upside-down grilling. Broiling is a good method to use for thinner, leaner cuts of meat like butterflied chicken breasts, pork tenderloin medallions, strip steaks, kabobs and vegetables." It is an option in a stove.

What do you use instead of oil? Nothing

#4 was a white bean broccoli soup. Instead of cream I used lima beams. OMG luscious. Lima beans are savory with a richness. Who knew? There was more of a bean flavor than broccoli flavor (thank goodness). I may make it again this weekend.

I could use my grill pan to char the peppers next time. I'll probably use oil to see if it helps.

Any good books you recommend for flavor combinations? I still want to know how to make sauerkraut. I've heard of sauerkraut soup. 
    Post edited by Ms. Haiku on
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Posts: 14,352
    edited December 2023
    Ms. Haiku said:
    I started a sauerkraut on Nov 5 and tried it today. So so good, I had to stop myself. It is with cabbage, pineapple, some ginger, black pepper and a jalapeno. Has a very nice mild tanginess, some warm sweetness from the pineapple and a good little punch of heat from the pepper and jalapeno. I eat it cold but it is also nice in potato soup or with pork.

Sounds awesome! Is making sauerkraut a long process? Is most of the time waiting time?

Prepping it doesn't take long. You shred the cabbage, peel and chop the pineapple, slice the jalapeno and grind some ginger. Mix the cabbage with kosher or Himalaya salt (I had a large cabbage, so I think I used about 1 tbsp, but start out with one and see how it tastes) and knead it a bit to soften it and bring the juices out, then add cracked black pepper to your liking and mix in the pineapple. Pack the mix tightly into jars or whatever you want to use (I use one of these plastic kimchi containers with an inner lid), and put the jalapeno slices in between. Push it all down to get the air bubbles out and the brine to come over the kraut. Then add your weight or the inner lid or whatever you use to keep the cabbage below the brine and close your container. It takes about two to three weeks on the counter. Try it in between to make sure things go the way you want. With the kimchi container or regular jars you have to burp things every day so nothing explodes. Open the lid, let the gas out and close again, making sure the brine is above the kraut. For smaller batches I love the fermentation lids that have vents, you don't have to burp these. Fermenting is a lot of fun!
    And yes, you can use it in soups. I like it in potato base soups, with maybe some airfried bacon sprinkled over at the end or some Canadian bacon or ham cubes.
    Post edited by Leezestarr313 on
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,779
    Loujoe said:
    You could charr up the peppers on a grill too. I think if you oil the peppers they will still smoke. (Maybe combust!)

If you have a gas stove, you can also char/roast peppers directly on a burner under the hood. No oil needed.
    Prepping it doesn't take long. You shred the cabbage, peel and chop the pineapple, slice the jalapeno and grind some ginger. Mix the cabbage with kosher or Himalaya salt (I had a large cabbage, so I think I used about 1 tbsp, but start out with one and see how it tastes) and knead it a bit to soften it and bring the juices out, then add cracked black pepper to your liking and mix in the pineapple. Pack the mix tightly into jars or whatever you want to use (I use one of these plastic kimchi containers with an inner lid), and put the jalapeno slices in between. Push it all down to get the air bubbles out and the brine to come over the kraut. Then add your weight or the inner lid or whatever you use to keep the cabbage below the brine and close your container. It takes about two to three weeks on the counter. Try it in between to make sure things go the way you want. With the kimchi container or regular jars you have to burp things every day so nothing explodes. Open the lid, let the gas out and close again, making sure the brine is above the kraut. For smaller batches I love the fermentation lids that have vents, you don't have to burp these. Fermenting is a lot of fun!
    And yes, you can use it in soups. I like it in potato base soups, with maybe some airfried bacon sprinkled over at the end or some Canadian bacon or ham cubes.
    Awesome. I have to do this.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • I guess we call that a grill here. I will get a picture of my oven. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    Stuffed artichokes! Turkey meat onion garlic bread crumbs celery, salt& pepper will top off with grated Parmesan, didn’t have enough filling for all four.
  • Never had them that way but I love the chokes and they look delicious 
    Yum! Demystify those chokes for me. How u cooking them?
    let's call it. Crispy ginger, charred Thai pepper, blistered butternut squash & sweet potatoes with double bock glazed iron skillet buttered baby Brussel sprouts. Chili cheese dog. 
    The burning of squash and sweet potato on the grill adds a fantastic layer of flavor.

Damn I'm good.

• All things love.  Awesome!
    edited December 2023
    Hot dogs have chili cheese in them. So not messy. Just great flavor. Was going to make soup out of that squash, that being said @Kwieneke , I'm glad I didn't.
    Stuffed artichokes! Turkey meat onion garlic bread crumbs celery, salt& pepper will top off with grated Parmesan, didn’t have enough filling for all four.
    Yum! I have to look into artichoke recipes.
    Loujoe said:
    let's call it. Crispy ginger, charred Thai pepper, blistered butternut squash & sweet potatoes with double bock glazed iron skillet buttered baby Brussel sprouts. Chili cheese dog. 
    The burning of squash and sweet potato on the grill adds a fantastic layer of flavor.

Damn I'm good.

Beautiful! Each veggie looks like bite-sized energy.
    Yes. Been away from veggies for too long. Farm by me has killer b sprouts. So been enjoying them. Inspired by your healthy posts too.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,391
    Brussels sprouts looks great.  I like adding pancetta and hot honey to mine.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Those veggies look amazing. I make Brussels sprout all the time, usually I just steam them and then add a bit of butter or olive oil, pepper, salt and balsamic. They are so good warm or cold. I am super intrigued by hot honey, it's coming up all over the place. I need to do some research. Also those artichokes - wow! I don't think I'd know where to get them around here.
    Loujoe said:
    Yum! Demystify those chokes for me. How u cooking them?F Me In The Brain said:
    Never had them that way but I love the chokes and they look delicious 
    Loujoe said:
    Yum! Demystify those chokes for me. How u cooking them?
    Ms. Haiku said:
    Lo josevolution said:
    Yum! I have to look into artichoke recipes.

I steamed them 1st with no stuffing so it’s easier to spread them out to fill! Once stuffed I baked them till the artichoke leaves just pull off with no effort. But I’d recommend you look up a recipe I did this just by intuition they are very tasty 🤤 
    Alright. Very nice thx.
    mcgruff10 said:
    Good idea. I have hot pepper garlic honey. That would taste great on them. 
  • jerparker20jerparker20 Posts: 2,461
    Loujoe said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Good idea. I have hot pepper garlic honey. That would taste great on them. 
    Yup.

I’ll do sprouts with bacon, honey, a splash of apple cider vinegar, a bit of minced garlic and diced jalapeños.
    Giddy up
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,859
    They look amazing.
    Artichokes are up there for me. 
  • Pork Butt, about to be loaded into convection for an all day sauna.  ;)

eddiec said:
    They look amazing.
    Artichokes are up there for me. 
    Pork Butt, about to be loaded into convection for an all day sauna.  ;)

It’s been really tough to find artichokes specially this size they are very expensive!
    Uhmm yummy F pulled pork tacos?