The Food Thread

Comments

• JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,692
    I ended up picking up a 23 pounder , which is the biggest one they had. 
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 8,973
    Going to try to cook on my gas grill. Have some wood chips to smoke a bit. Will see how it goes.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,779
    edited November 2023
    Loujoe said:
    Going to try to cook on my gas grill. Have some wood chips to smoke a bit. Will see how it goes.

Spatchcock that bad boy. I have done that on my gas grill and it comes out great. May do it this year!
    Good call^^thx
  • jerparker20jerparker20 Posts: 2,461
    Had my induction range take a big shit on me a few weeks ago. $1600 to fix it, so I just bought a new one (of course it’s backordered until the first part of December). Anyways, we’ve been managing to still eat very well the past three weeks by cooking everything on a grill, a cheap $25 electric skillet, and an Instapot. Should have been filming these cooking adventures for Instagram/Tik Tok.
  • Anytime imaway from my gas range, I'm sad.  Spent last week away, cooking on a non gas stove top.

You like induction?  
    Did you need to buy specific new pots/pans?
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Had my induction range take a big shit on me a few weeks ago. $1600 to fix it, so I just bought a new one (of course it’s backordered until the first part of December). Anyways, we’ve been managing to still eat very well the past three weeks by cooking everything on a grill, a cheap $25 electric skillet, and an Instapot. Should have been filming these cooking adventures for Instagram/Tik Tok.
    Anytime imaway from my gas range, I'm sad.  Spent last week away, cooking on a non gas stove top.

You like induction?  
    I grill when its snowing out, I dont care...  Sometimes you just need to grill!
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    edited November 2023
    I'm starting a new project tomorrow, cooking 300 unique soups. Hurray! It may take many years. I will draft poems as I cook the soups. Pretty awesome! I plan to post images, but I may need better equipment. Currently, my soups taste good, but look like sludge. 

I usually begin food projects when the time is right. In Seattle from 1995-1996 I visited 200 cafes and wrote draft poems about the coffee or the experience or the food. It was a great way to get to know Seattle. I posted the list and final poem cuts on Blogger.

From 2010-2011 I visited 300 cafes and wrote blog posts that I posted to Tumbler.

As I have a diet restriction (low fat), all of the yummy café food, and the lattes are in the past. Also, I'm not using social media to document my journey. I'm using pen and paper. No better time to take my cooking skills to another level. For the white bean with poblano pepper soup I cook tomorrow I will broil peppers. I don't remember ever using a broiler. Onward to awesomeness!
    Post edited by Ms. Haiku on
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
    Anytime imaway from my gas range, I'm sad.  Spent last week away, cooking on a non gas stove top.

You like induction?  
    I absolutely love induction. Heats as fast as gas, maintains a precise temperature, and the stove cools to the touch fairly quick and spills don’t bake on. I won’t get anything else now.

As for specific pots/pans, stainless and cast iron work (which is what I had before switching to induction).
    Had my induction range take a big shit on me a few weeks ago. $1600 to fix it, so I just bought a new one (of course it’s backordered until the first part of December). Anyways, we’ve been managing to still eat very well the past three weeks by cooking everything on a grill, a cheap $25 electric skillet, and an Instapot. Should have been filming these cooking adventures for Instagram/Tik Tok.

You like induction?  
    I grill when its snowing out, I dont care...  Sometimes you just need to grill!
    I love grilling too, but here in Minnesota grilling outside isn’t much fun from December - February when it’s below zero with a -20 wind chill…
  • Anytime imaway from my gas range, I'm sad.  Spent last week away, cooking on a non gas stove top.

You like induction?  
    I absolutely love induction. Heats as fast as gas, maintains a precise temperature, and the stove cools to the touch fairly quick and spills don’t bake on. I won’t get anything else now.

As for specific pots/pans, stainless and cast iron work (which is what I had before switching to induction).
    Interesting,  thanks.  

• eddieceddiec Posts: 3,859
    10am in Saigon.
    Just arrived on a 12-hour flight from London.
    Too early to check-in.
    Pho time.

• Awesome 
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,686
    eddiec said:
    10am in Saigon.
    Too early to check-in.
    Pho time.

That looks comforting after a 12 hour flight. Have a great trip. Keep posting photos. 
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    eddiec said:
    10am in Saigon.
    Too early to check-in.
    Pho time.

Looks yummy!
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    Oh hell yes. Post pictures for sure! That's an awesome trip.

Love the idea, Haiku...keep us updated!
  • Ms. Haiku said:
    I'm starting a new project tomorrow, cooking 300 unique soups. Hurray! It may take many years. I will draft poems as I cook the soups. Pretty awesome! I plan to post images, but I may need better equipment. Currently, my soups taste good, but look like sludge. 

I usually begin food projects when the time is right. In Seattle from 1995-1996 I visited 200 cafes and wrote draft poems about the coffee or the experience or the food. It was a great way to get to know Seattle. I posted the list and final poem cuts on Blogger.

From 2010-2011 I visited 300 cafes and wrote blog posts that I posted to Tumbler.

As I have a diet restriction (low fat), all of the yummy café food, and the lattes are in the past. Also, I'm not using social media to document my journey. I'm using pen and paper. No better time to take my cooking skills to another level. For the white bean with poblano pepper soup I cook tomorrow I will broil peppers. I don't remember ever using a broiler. Onward to awesomeness!
    95-96 i was back and forth from Bering Sea, Ballard and capital hill.  Frequented BausHaus a bunch.  Loved their Mochas.
    Ms. Haiku said:

Creative. Super cool and keep posting here. Will check it out your other stuff when I have some time.
  • Hit the Reading Terminal Market today as I picked up my bin for this weekend.  Love Amy food market but especially this place.  Went with a dozen oysters and some skrimp dumplings from Sang Kee (irresistible to me), along with some beautiful king salmon and tuna steaks for dinner

• Hit the Reading Terminal Market today as I picked up my bin for this weekend.  Love Amy food market but especially this place.  Went with a dozen oysters and some skrimp dumplings from Sang Kee (irresistible to me), along with some beautiful king salmon and tuna steaks for dinner

Sockeye, always go w the sockeye!

Those oysters look yummy!

Sockeye, always go w the sockeye!

Those oysters look yummy!
    King looked better but I love sockeye as well.
    I'm partial to an undercooked (by most standards) piece or salmon and this means king, for me.  If cooked fully, I might pick sockeye. 
  • I love making a whole turkey. We are just two here but we make do, freeze some and use it up in other dishes. I don't do a traditional American Thanksgiving dinner, lots of things are not appealing to me, but I make stuffing, and we have steamed veggies on the side. We are not really sweet tooth people but I like a bit of pie on the occasion. This year I got two tiny little ones, and they will be perfect. The rest, I am making myself.
  • lmckenney24lmckenney24 Posts: 1,989
    Some Bluefin from Maine. Will post some sashimi pics tomorrow. Good shit.
  • Looks beeeeutiiiful

Busted out the crockpot today for some venison stew. Always a good meal on a cool late fall day.
    eddiec said:
    10am in Saigon.
    Too early to check-in.
    Pho time.

Possibly my all-time favorite dish! Looks delicious. I’m fortunate for the large Hmong/Laotian/Vietnamese communities in the Twin Cities. Plenty of pho to be had. Enjoy!
    Busted out the crockpot today for some venison stew. Always a good meal on a cool late fall day.
    Quick recipe? I don't have venison but would sub something.
  • Too many bananas past the point of normal eating.  What do you do?

Of course!
    So easy, so good.

Loujoe said:
    Quick recipe? I don't have venison but would sub something.
    Basically a traditional, run of the mill beef stew recipe: carrots, potatoes, mushrooms, sliced onion, minced garlic, frozen peas, can of tomato paste, tablespoon or two of flour, a couple cups of water or beef stock, bay leaf, salt/pepper to taste and venison (or beef). Throw in the crockpot for 6 hours or so. Serve with crusty bread. Nothing fancy, but hits the spot.
  • BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,671
    Too many bananas past the point of normal eating.  What do you do?

Of course!
    So easy, so good.

I love banana bread, put some butter on a slice that is still warm, so good! 
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
    2024 - Las Vegas 1&2