The Food Thread

Comments

• My son and his band friends went to supermarket and got porterhouse, potatoes to mash, and asparagus to roast. Turned out quite well I think! Steak is super tender.

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,175
    My son and his band friends went to supermarket and got porterhouse, potatoes to mash, and asparagus to roast. Turned out quite well I think! Steak is super tender.

Damn good 👍 can’t go wrong with porterhouse it’s def my favorite cut! Enjoy 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Yum! Good son!
  • Get_Right said:
    Speaking of ridiculous booze. This was the wine lineup for 6 of us at 4 Charles a couple weeks ago

Still have not gone there. The wife likes sushi over steak.
    I'm with her on that one.....probably 90 out of 100 times.
    Some places are exceptions to that rule.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,779
    Get_Right said:
    Speaking of ridiculous booze. This was the wine lineup for 6 of us at 4 Charles a couple weeks ago

Hatsuhana is our go to spot. Pick ten.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    Get_Right said:

I completely agree too. However, 4 Charles is an exception and it’s also never on my dime, especially when one of the bottles ordered retails for $1500…
  • jerparker20jerparker20 Posts: 2,461
    Unleashed the inner child tonight with “breakfast for dinner.” Kid got a kick out of it. My neighbor made the bacon. Exceptionally good.

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain Posts: 31,081
    edited December 2023
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:

Which 10 steak spots would I choose over a badass sushi spot?

I will have to think.  These are all special occasion places.  If I have the chance to go, I do.  Some I've been to once.  Some twice.  Some a bunch if times.  (A few, even, with other 10c members)
    There are many I haven't been to that I still want to go to....4 Charles is one of those.
    I'm a sushi lover, front and center, which was my point.  Doesn't mean these are better than my favorite sushi spots or the many I want to try....just that I'll pick a meal at these just as often.

Lugers
    Wolfgang's Steakhouse
    Musso & Frank
    St Elmos
    Barclay Prime
    Al Biernats
    Gibson's
    Cody Steak House
    BOA
    Bern's

Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:

Which 10 steak spots would I choose over a badass sushi spot?

I will have to think.  These are all special occasion places.  If I have the chance to go, I do.  Some I've been to once.  Some twice.  Some a bunch if times.  (A few, even, with other 10c members)
    There are many I haven't been to that I still want to go to....4 Charles is one of those.
    I'm a sushi lover, front and center, which was my point.  Doesn't mean these are better than my favorite sushi spots or the many I want to try....just that I'll pick a meal at these just as often.

Lugers
    Wolfgang's Steakhouse
    Musso & Frank
    St Elmos
    Barclay Prime
    Al Biernats
    Gibson's
    Cody Steak House
    BOA
    Bern's

That is a tough convo. Yasuda and Hasuhana are my favs
    Gibsons in chi town is a treat
  • Get_Right said:
    I love Yasuda, haven't been to Hasuhana yet.
    All if those places were great experiences, for their own reasons.  
    Not saying any are better than the best sushi spots....just that there are times I pick a spectacular place over another.
    Berns in Tampa but sorry Lugers wins

• Unleashed the inner child tonight with “breakfast for dinner.” Kid got a kick out of it. My neighbor made the bacon. Exceptionally good.

Brinner! I love breakfast for dinner. Looks great!
    Never been to Lugers. Should make that happen 

If anyone needs a reservation to 4 Charles, I can likely make that happen.
  • Get_Right said:

Longer story but Cody Steak was the best steak I've ever eaten....about an hour or two after a near death experience.  Drank and ate like I thought I never might again

Food is such an amazing way to feel, beyond the obvious need for sustenance. 

Get_Right said:

Longer story but Cody Steak was the best steak I've ever eaten....about an hour or two after a near death experience.  Drank and ate like I thought I never might again

Food is such an amazing way to feel, beyond the obvious need for sustenance. 

Well the best steak I ever had was actually in Sapporo Japan cannot beat the real wagyu. 
    Get_Right said:
    I love Yasuda, haven't been to Hasuhana yet.
    All if those places were great experiences, for their own reasons.  
    Not saying any are better than the best sushi spots....just that there are times I pick a spectacular place over another.

Hatsuhana is an NYC OG. $50 gets you a killer plate. Yasuda is not same since he went back to Japan
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,175
    Empanadas Thursday in the morales household! 

jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,759
    Unleashed the inner child tonight with “breakfast for dinner.” Kid got a kick out of it. My neighbor made the bacon. Exceptionally good.

I'm a child about every 2 weeks or so , as I have breakfast for dinner quite often.

Good stuff there^^
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    Empanadas Thursday in the morales household! 

Yum looking.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
    cutz said:

I'm a child about every 2 weeks or so , as I have breakfast for dinner quite often.

Good stuff there^^
    I love breakfast for dinner. Actually, I am on a quest to use maple syrup in anything. It is not good in coffee (boo).
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • jerparker20jerparker20 Posts: 2,461
    edited December 2023
    Ms. Haiku said:
    cutz said:

Good stuff there^^
    I love breakfast for dinner. Actually, I am on a quest to use maple syrup in anything. It is not good in coffee (boo).
    I have some maple syrup infused with coffee beans. Has just a hint of coffee. I love the stuff. Picked it up at a farmers market this fall.
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 8,973
    Ms. Haiku said:
    cutz said:

Good stuff there^^
    I put a little in hot tea. Yum
    Ms. Haiku I love breakfast for dinner. Actually, I am on a quest to use maple syrup in anything. It is not good in coffee (boo).
    I have some maple syrup infused with coffee beans. Has just a hint of coffee. I love the stuff. Picked it up at a farmers market this fall.
    That must be awesome. I have a bottle with a vanilla bean. It is yummy 😋 
  • What are y'all cooking up for Christmas, if you celebrate?

We do the full turkey meal on Thanksgiving.   Christmas is a wild card meal....and generally just the 3 of us (wife son and I) or the in-laws.

This year we are making Christmas lunch.  Having 3 of us, plus 5 in-laws.  Everyone is so picky and likes so many different things.  Last year I went crazy on a sushi making feast.
    This year I am making 4 pizzas.
    1 cheese sheet pan.
    1 half pepp, half mushroom sheet pan
    1 meat and jalapeño detroit style
    1 gluten free - think a white

We travel the day after, so pizza is perfect for leftovers.  Pop in freezer and enjoy at random times in the future for any pieces the guests don't take with them when they leave.  (And, hopefully they leave relatively early so we can watch the last two football games and kid can play with his toys.)

What you cooking up?

• The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,466
    edited December 2023
    We host Christmas Eve. I am making my mom's eggplant parmesan. All time favorite meal of mine. Whole family loves it. I think we will make cold green beans to go with it....loading that fucker up with as much garlic as possible. 
    www.myspace.com
  • Baked or Fried?
    I love eggplant parm.  My wife and son do not.  I miss it!
    I am a jew. General Tsos and lo mein lol.
  • Get_Right said:
    I am a jew. General Tsos and lo mein lol.
    That sounds great!  Hope you had an awesome Hanukkah!
    All the fish Xmas eve, though getting a good portion of it catered by Anastasis in the Italian market. Take some of the stress off.

Then beef tenderloin, gravy, baked ziti on Christmas Day. 

Should be glorious. Christmas rules