The Food Thread

Comments

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    The donuts look amazing!
    It's just Grands bisquit dough with the center punched out and fried up.  So good!  And so much easier than real donuts, though they are a little better.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    edited May 2020

Eggs are Sous vide’d. First time doing that. So good. Happy Mother’s Day 
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,946
    Can’t believe some of the food on here over the last few days. I’ve been following along in amazement. Well done, folks! 
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    bbiggs said:
    Can’t believe some of the food on here over the last few days. I’ve been following along in amazement. Well done, folks! 
    Me TOO! 

My attempt at cooking last week is still in the fridge, mostly uneaten :angry:

Guess I’ll continue to live vicariously :lol:
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain Posts: 31,081
    Cliffy how long did that take, to do the eggs?
    I love the idea of sous vide, but some of the things I see people do would seem to be easier/faster to do in the traditional style?

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • deadendpdeadendp Posts: 10,434
    edited May 2020
    I love the idea of sous vide, but some of the things I see people do would seem to be easier/faster to do in the traditional style?

They had an episode on sous vide and the the ones that tested best on America's Test Kitchen on PBS. They had it on in the past few months. Interesting.

Found it!
    https://youtu.be/djmo3ouQ3Vo
    Post edited by deadendp on
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
    edited May 2020

Just about 20 minutes. My wife and I have Slightly different views on scrambled eggs and these were about as perfect as it gets.  The temperature is pretty high for Sous vide water. Took a while to heat up 
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,686
    bbiggs said:
    See what happens when you take away our easy access to restaurants - plus some extra time on our hands  and a little boredom (at least for me). That is the recipe for our culinary skills to be put to good use. Bravo to everyone.
    Interesting on the sous vide.
    We used one out at fishing camp to cook damn near perfect steaks.  It took a long time, as I recall through all of the partying.....and I know that a bunch of us gave my buddy guff about the idea that we felt we could use a cast iron skillet or his grill on the deck and make a damn amazing steak in less than ten minutes.

A cool toy to play around with.  I would have fun trying different things in it.
    Meat takes a lot longer than the eggs. Steaks are at least an hour in the water, depending on how thick they are

There really is no better way to cook steak though. You really can’t overcook it because there is no way it will get to a higher temp than the water. It would take a damn near magician to be able to beat a Sous vide plus a quick sear on the grill or cast iron with just the grill or cast iron. 

Have done basically every protein with it. Anything that is fairly expensive and you want a perfect temp, there’s no beating it
    If you are perfect on the temp with your machine at an hour....and I am near perfect in less than ten minutes?
    I enjoy the process enough to like both approaches....
    Interesting, I never thought about sous vide for camping...I've sealed stuff in the food saver to be reheated in hot water before, but always cooked stuff.  
    I hate doing dishes when camping, so I'll cook up pasta or rice casseroles and vacuum seal them.  The water pot doesn't need washed lol
    rgambs said:
    Interesting, I never thought about sous vide for camping...I've sealed stuff in the food saver to be reheated in hot water before, but always cooked stuff.  
    I hate doing dishes when camping, so I'll cook up pasta or rice casseroles and vacuum seal them.  The water pot doesn't need washed lol
    I have also precooked and frozen meals/meal components for camping but never thought to vacuum seal them. (And I have one.) Thank you for the suggestion. A lot less space than containers.

We have camp dishes. Not the time of my life washing camp dishes, but we do it. 
    Simple things....was ordered long ago but came in this week.
    For some reason I have been without a decent board for a while.
    Like a new friend....

deadendp said:
    rgambs said:
    I have also precooked and frozen meals/meal components for camping but never thought to vacuum seal them. (And I have one.) Thank you for the suggestion. A lot less space than containers.

We have camp dishes. Not the time of my life washing camp dishes, but we do it. 
    Yeah i hate camping dishes.  We take paper plates and bowls to just burn up.  When I cook fresh food, it's all in a large seasoned wok that just gets the boil-wash.  Anything prepared before gets vacuum sealed and dropped in a hot pot.  I've had a few ziplocs blow out on me so when I got the food saver, it was like...fuck yeah.  If I make a pot of chili, I Ziploc it, then vacuum seal that.  It's nice too that you can pre-dice onions for dishes and vacuum sealed they don't onionize the whole cooler.
    If you are perfect on the temp with your machine at an hour....and I am near perfect in less than ten minutes?
    But because you’re heating it from such a high temperature on the outside, you’re never going to get the same temp throughout the way Sous vide does. You’re going to have some well done on the outside with a perfect temp in the middle. Sous vide gets a perfect temp all the way throughout. 
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,859
    But because you’re heating it from such a high temperature on the outside, you’re never going to get the same temp throughout the way Sous vide does. You’re going to have some well done on the outside with a perfect temp in the middle. Sous vide gets a perfect temp all the way throughout. 
    Interesting. I've seen them used on cooking shows but never purchased one. I see above that you finish them on a grill, which seems a neccessity because for me, a good char on the outside is as important as a luscious pink inside. I assume you finish it with as high a temp as possible for 30 seconds a side? Also, I can understand how it cooks them evenly throughout, but do you notice a difference in flavor? In the winter I alternate between a thick pan and a griddle pan, and in the summer I grill over charcoal. The taste off the charcoal cooked steaks is remarkably better in flavor.

If I could afford a sous vide setup I would definitely be down to use it.  I've heard a sous vide steak with a good cast iron or screaming hot grill sear is the absolute best possible steak.  I would be interested in seeing how it does on a nice thick cut heritage breed pork chop.  Personally, I prefer the flavor of pork over beef, and a perfect chop is harder to achieve, they are a little less forgiving.
    eddiec said:
    Interesting. I've seen them used on cooking shows but never purchased one. I see above that you finish them on a grill, which seems a neccessity because for me, a good char on the outside is as important as a luscious pink inside. I assume you finish it with as high a temp as possible for 30 seconds a side? Also, I can understand how it cooks them evenly throughout, but do you notice a difference in flavor? In the winter I alternate between a thick pan and a griddle pan, and in the summer I grill over charcoal. The taste off the charcoal cooked steaks is remarkably better in flavor.

This is definitely fair.  Yes, you need to finish it on a grill (or cast iron) that is as hot has it can possibly get to get the char as quickly as possible without really cooking it more.  If the temp is too low, you'll need to leave it on too long and it will defeat the purpose of the sous vide all together.  Definitely agree about the charcoal aspect.  If you finish it well on a grill, I think you still get the same flavor as a grilled steak, just with an ideal temperature obviously.  Definitely aspects to this that can be done in other ways better to people's preferences, but overall the best way to get the most accurate temperature.  

I have also had luck in adding in herbs and garlic to the vacuum sealed bag, especially for things like lamb or pork.

Yesterday, my daughter made me apple filled crepes with caramel sauce. They were delicious. 
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,834
    Holy crepe!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,076
    https://www.chileanfoodandgarden.com/easy-homemade-mayo/
    The difference from the mayo my mother used to make is she only used the yolks of the eggs, this recipe uses the whole egg ..
    I am going to eventually try this Jose.
    K was just accepted to the Culinary Arts career program for her junior and senior years of high school.  We're hoping that it takes our severely anxious and depressed kid and gives her something to work toward.  Give her a good life skill and a constructive way to work through her stress.  

She was very worried her crepes were going to suck and wanted me to help her.  I told her that I was going to let her rock it out on her own.  Other than deciding she wanted to cook them for a touch longer, she was proud of the result.  I told her they were great! 
    Those crepes look bomber!
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,686
    deadendp said:

Yesterday, my daughter made me apple filled crepes with caramel sauce. They were delicious. 
    Congrats to your daughter on her culinary skills. They look delish. 
    Wow those crepes look great - and congratulations to K on her acceptance into the program.  Think of all of the cool things she can learn - and for some kids learning by doing is so much better or a way to do things.  Hope this works for her.
    We look forward to more pictures and shared learnings from her!
    My daughter has been baking our weekly banana breads (yes, with chocolate chips) on her own—zero supervision. She just turned 10, so you can do it, @MF117973 !!

I don’t know if she’ll ever make crepes that look as good as K’s, though. That takes a more delicate skill set than I think she possesses. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    Big congrats to K! That’ll serve her well in so many ways. 
    edited May 2020
    Fried chicken burrito (lettuce, radish, cheddar, colby, jack, habanero sour cream)

Edit: We had four types of chicken thighs for Mother's Day dinner last night (fried, grilled with salt and pepper, grilled with apple bourbon BBQ sauce, grilled with Carolina BBQ sauce; I also grilled some sweet potatoes). Using up leftovers for the week's lunches.

I could eat a burrito for every meal every day for the rest of my life.
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    My daughter has been baking our weekly banana breads (yes, with chocolate chips) on her own—zero supervision. She just turned 10, so you can do it, @MF117973 !!

I don’t know if she’ll ever make crepes that look as good as K’s, though. That takes a more delicate skill set than I think she possesses. 
    K has been making banana bread for about the same length of time. Good stuff!