The Food Thread

Comments

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    I don't know what it is called but certainly looks like man chowder
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,440
    Me and the two kids hit the Shake Shack for dinner last night as we were running around and 7pm snuck up on us. REALLY good, but holy crap it was $50!!! 
    Oh hell yeah, I love both of those things.  I will even eat the Tako yaki with the nasty giZz sauce they put on it.
    Hahaha. Are you talking about Japanese mayo or that shit that reallyyyyy looks like semen??? I used to go to this okonomiyaki joint and they had poke topped with avocados, and that nut-looking sauce.  Wtf is that called?? Very hard to look at but it's so good. 
    Upload a picture and I might be able to tell you what it is.  My wife is Japanese and I have learned a lot about Japanese food.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    edited April 2019
    Get_Right said:
    Me and the two kids hit the Shake Shack for dinner last night as we were running around and 7pm snuck up on us. REALLY good, but holy crap it was $50!!! 
    I love their burgers but yeah, their prices have gotten absolutely fucking ridiculous! Used to be able to go there and get a meal for $8! That barely gets you an order of fries now.
    Get_Right said:
    I love their burgers but yeah, their prices have gotten absolutely fucking ridiculous! Used to be able to go there and get a meal for $8! That barely gets you an order of fries now.
    $10.50 for a Shack Stack, $4 for fries, and $5.50 for a milk shake. That is $21 for fast food. For one person!
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Shake Shack and Five Guys are good but they ass rape with those prices.
    My kids eat very healthy and we rarely eat out so I did not mind. But it struck me as not being a very good value. Kind of like eating at the airport or a sporting event. You are paying extra to eat at the location.  Danny Meyer is a genius.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited April 2019
    Went to a BBQ place last night- The Devil's Elbow. On Beatty Street. It was amazing! Especially the pork belly appy. My God, I love pork belly. It should be more if a standard menu item everywhere IMO. It also came with the best coleslaw i ever ate in my life.
    The beef brisket was also delicious. I am so glad Vancouver finally gas some real, good BBQ. It never used to, but now there are two or three places that so it right.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Love me some pork belly Bao. 
  • crookedcrosscrookedcross Right Near Da Beach, Boiii Posts: 1,417
    Get_Right said:
    Oh hell yeah, I love both of those things.  I will even eat the Tako yaki with the nasty giZz sauce they put on it.
    Hahaha. Are you talking about Japanese mayo or that shit that reallyyyyy looks like semen??? I used to go to this okonomiyaki joint and they had poke topped with avocados, and that nut-looking sauce.  Wtf is that called?? Very hard to look at but it's so good. 
    Upload a picture and I might be able to tell you what it is.  My wife is Japanese and I have learned a lot about Japanese food.
    I don't have any pictures and I really can't think of a way to search for one other than typing "poke sauce that looks like semen" on google.  I refuse to do that....
    Jizz topping for takoyaki
    Could also try that,lol.
  • crookedcrosscrookedcross Right Near Da Beach, Boiii Posts: 1,417
    Jizz topping for takoyaki
    Could also try that,lol.
    They got me with blue waffle. I'm not falling for googling nasty shit again
  • NinetytworulesNinetytworules Boston Posts: 454
    Tonight I made Pork belly rigatoni with Swiss chard and cacio Pepe. It was good.
    That looks really great!
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    Pork belly..... recently I have been finding amazing pork belly dishes at all kinds of places, and it never disappoints.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Salmón with butter sauce & capers
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    edited April 2019
    Worked about half of this down.  Omelette w/sharp cheddar, garlic, onion, spinach, bacon, and tomato.  Finished burrito-style with avacado and some of the Aardvark hot sauce.

Rarely eat breakfast - but this shit was grinding!
    Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Worked about half of this down.  Omelette w/sharp cheddar, garlic, onion, spinach, bacon, and tomato.  Finished burrito-style with avacado and some of the Aardvark hot sauce.

Uhmm yummy 🤤 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    What did y'all cook for holiday, today, if celebrating?
    Boy asked for chicken and I thawed out a turkey breast mistakenly.  Ended up cooking both - fucking tasty 

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Gravy, meatballs, sausage, stuffed shells, ham, salads. I’m in a fucking coma
    Ha!
    That sounds like a hell of a feast!
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827

That thing is a boozemop. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    You know it!
  • NinetytworulesNinetytworules Boston Posts: 454
    Used Thomas Keller’s recipes for lobster roll and clam chowder. Fucking incredible. If you like cookbooks look into Tommy boy!!
    Wow, that looks really good! 
  • jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,399
    That chowder looks great. Hard to beat a nice bowl of chowder.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    What did y'all cook for holiday, today, if celebrating?
    Boy asked for chicken and I thawed out a turkey breast mistakenly.  Ended up cooking both - fucking tasty 

holiday? :confounded:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Hey folks, good food posts, keeping it alive!
    So this Saturday I'm going to a Ramen place for the first time.  I know some of you here hold your Ramen in high regard...what should I eat?  
    I want to try a classic bowl of noodles, but I'd also like to try something bolder.  

#1 RK TONKOTSU--Pork belly, nori, sweet corn, minced garlic, soft boiled egg, scallion, shiitake $13

#2 UFC (UMAMI FRIED CHICKEN)--Shoyu broth, chicken katsu, sweet corn, nori, shiitake, enoki, minced garlic, scallions $11

#3 MISO SPICY--Pork katsu, shiitake, nori, kombu, soft boiled egg, black sesame oil, rayu chili oil $12

#4 CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP--Shio ramen, sweet corn, chicken katsu, soft boiled egg, enoki, minced garlic $11

#5 CO-CRAZY--Tonkotsu ramen, coconut milk, sweet corn, pork belly chashu, minced garlic, scallions $11

#6 BLACK FLAG--Vegetable ramen, coconut milk, black sesame oil, shiitake, enoki, marinated eggplant, soft tofu $11

#7 SEA LEGS--Shoyu ramen, kani crab stick, tempura shrimp, kombu, nori, enoki, minced garlic $13

#8 DONBURI RAMEN--Shoyu ramen, barbecued eel, kombu, black sesame oil, rayu chili oil, soft boiled egg, shiitake, marinated eggplant $13

#9 RAMEN FUNGHI--Miso ramen, shiitake, enoki, marinated eggplant, kombu, black sesame oil $11

#10 SCAMPI DOODLE DOo--Shoyu ramen, chicken katsu, tempura shrimp, soft boiled egg, sweet corn, minced garlic, nori, enoki 

Steam buns

Two per order. All come with pickled carrot & daikon $6 • Turn it into a rice bowl $2 more

#1 Chashu pork belly, eel sauce

#2 Chicken katsu, sriracha aioli

#3 Pork katsu, eel sauce

#4 Unagi, eel sauce

#5 Fried sesame tofu, ponzu

Monkey Driven, Call this Living?

Appetizers

PORK GYOZA

Minced pork dumplings, napa, ginger, sesame ponzu sauce $8

TOGARASHI CHICKEN

Fried white meat chicken breast, Japanese five spice, sriracha aioli, eel sauce $8

PORK KATSU

Fried pork cutlet, Japanese five spice, tonkotsu sesame sauce $8

COLD SESAME TOFU

Firm tofu, ponzu sauce, cucumber chili relish, toasted sesame $6

TEMPURA SHRIMP

Sriracha aioli, ponzu sauce $8

GARLIC EDAMAME

Sauteed, minced garlic, togarashi, sea salt $6

PIG EAR PAD THAI

Deep-fried pig ear, lime, Japanese aioli, cilantro $8

Also, how do I eat without looking like an oaf.  Website says it's casual, and prices indicate it is...but still.