Options

The Food Thread

Comments

• Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,932
    Sorry for the Taco hatin y'all...

Less is more with good tacos in my opinion.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,617
    Spoke of fasting here and was asked some questions...I am always reading to try and understand the benefits but they just don't know lots about it.  This was interesting, to me.   https://getpocket.com/explore/item/japanese-fasting-study-reveals-complex-metabolic-changes-in-the-human-body?utm_source=pocket-newtab
    (Nothing about 120 hour fasts like the ones I do in this article..)

On Tacos....I could go all day.  Life in LA for 20 years built my taco game.  Took us a good while to find some "real" tacos in South Jersey, but we finally did.
    Philly has some good ones.  (And one place that is Top 10 all time Tacos for me....amazing)

What's the top 10 spot? 

Lot's of good spots around me in south philly.  Can't walk a block without bumping into a taco joint.
  • Options
    I was thinking of ways to improve and increase the heat in my chili last night.  Cayenne and jalapenos were all I had, and they're fine, but I like more kick.  I don't want it to be so spicy that it's unenjoyable though.  I know spiciness is all relative, but what suggestions are out there?  Habaneros?  I've had some ghost pepper sauces that were very good and tolerable.  I've seen some hot sauce recommendations floating around on this thread, but didn't take good notes.  Thanks in advance for suggestions.
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,124
    bbiggs said:
    I was thinking of ways to improve and increase the heat in my chili last night.  Cayenne and jalapenos were all I had, and they're fine, but I like more kick.  I don't want it to be so spicy that it's unenjoyable though.  I know spiciness is all relative, but what suggestions are out there?  Habaneros?  I've had some ghost pepper sauces that were very good and tolerable.  I've seen some hot sauce recommendations floating around on this thread, but didn't take good notes.  Thanks in advance for suggestions.
    You could do oil extracts from peppers.  It's more potent and you can use a Tabasco and have plenty of kick and not sacrifice flavor.
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:
    Eggplant looks amazing. You need some wire cooling racks to make sure the oil drains properly and the food stays crispy.
    Tortillas? Corn for tacos, flour for burritos and any tex mex (i.e. fajitas or breakfast tacos). And always two corn tortillas for each taco- that is the measure of a good taco joint. Fresh salsa, onions, cilantro and two tortillas.
    Any self respecting taco stand/joint serves you a taco w two tortillas.  Before the shutdown I visited a brand new taco place and my tacos come out in a single so of course I eat half of it then eat the rest with a fork that fell on my plate.

When the server came over and asked how it was I told them that corn tortillas should always be in 2's because they fall apart.  It's like they never even heard of this.  I forget that I am in NY and they no dick about making proper tacos here.  They try though.
    Fellow New Yorker here as well.  Amazed at how long it took for decent tacos to show up on our food scene. And then disappointed at how expensive they are. I still love Bar Taco though!
    I'm not sure what you call a decent taco joint?  A Kung Pao taco is not my idea of a good taco...

If they don't have a traditional taco of meat, cilantro and onion, I usually won't bother.  It reminds me of pizza places out west, the more toppings they have on them the more palatable it is.

When the East coast Taco joints try to reinvent the taco is when they start costing so much.  There is beauty in a simple taco and most places lose sight of that.
    100% agree with you.  Less is more. I live in the suburbs and it is a food desert. Bar taco will never replace a simple tacqueria, but it works when the alternative is mediocre fusion restaurants, which seem to be a plague where I live. We do have some authentic places in Port Chester, but nothing like Texas or Cali.
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:
    Eggplant looks amazing. You need some wire cooling racks to make sure the oil drains properly and the food stays crispy.
    Tortillas? Corn for tacos, flour for burritos and any tex mex (i.e. fajitas or breakfast tacos). And always two corn tortillas for each taco- that is the measure of a good taco joint. Fresh salsa, onions, cilantro and two tortillas.
    Any self respecting taco stand/joint serves you a taco w two tortillas.  Before the shutdown I visited a brand new taco place and my tacos come out in a single so of course I eat half of it then eat the rest with a fork that fell on my plate.

When the server came over and asked how it was I told them that corn tortillas should always be in 2's because they fall apart.  It's like they never even heard of this.  I forget that I am in NY and they no dick about making proper tacos here.  They try though.
    Fellow New Yorker here as well.  Amazed at how long it took for decent tacos to show up on our food scene. And then disappointed at how expensive they are. I still love Bar Taco though!
    I'm not sure what you call a decent taco joint?  A Kung Pao taco is not my idea of a good taco...

If they don't have a traditional taco of meat, cilantro and onion, I usually won't bother.  It reminds me of pizza places out west, the more toppings they have on them the more palatable it is.

When the East coast Taco joints try to reinvent the taco is when they start costing so much.  There is beauty in a simple taco and most places lose sight of that.
    A simple taco is easy to make at home though, being able to sample some interesting taco creations is way more fun.
    The best tacos I've ever had were not the traditional ones I had in Tucson, they were world famous gas station fish tacos and the smoked pork tacos I made a few weeks ago.
    The fish tacos were Mahi Mahi and mango pico de Gallo from the Whoa Nellie Deli inside the Mobil gas station in Lee Vining CA.
    That is still a traditional fish taco more or less.  It's not like reinventing a taco.  It's fish and a sweet Pico and in Cali.

I am not a fan of drenching a taco in a sauce or mayo.  Most places kill the tacos with that stuff.
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    Sorry for the Taco hatin y'all...

Less is more with good tacos in my opinion.
    There in lies the beauty.  If you don't season the meat right then you hide it with other crap.  It's like over salting food to me.
  • Options
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:

100% agree with you.  Less is more. I live in the suburbs and it is a food desert. Bar taco will never replace a simple tacqueria, but it works when the alternative is mediocre fusion restaurants, which seem to be a plague where I live. We do have some authentic places in Port Chester, but nothing like Texas or Cali.
    I've noticed that most "Mexican" authentic restaurants are not that.  They take wayyyy too much south American cuisine into it.  I have yet to find an east coast Mexican spot that serves Albondigas.  When I do that will be my forever go to!
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,029
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:

There are two taco places in the East Village neighborhood that are somewhat decent. Rosie’s on 2nd Avenue - but trendy, and usually a wait to get into, and El Diablito on East 3rd Street- a hole in the wall with like 2 tables but really good. The carnita tacos there are heavenly. 
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    bbiggs said:
    Most hot sauces are heavy on vinegar and don't pair well with chili, IMO.
    Cayenne peppers have plenty of heat, even for chili-heads, if they are grown right.  For anything with peppers I use a diced or strip-sliced pepper blend frozen from my garden that includes jalapenos, poblanos, cayennes, and sweet yellow/orange/red bells in proportion of about 25-25-15-25 with the remaining 10 percent being whatever other peppers I have. Romanian Hot Blocks, hot/sweet bananas, etc.  It makes a nice medium blend that works with anything.  Then I use my dried Gumby's 2-Hot flakes for added heat when necessary.  That's a dried and ground garden blend of Cayenne and Super Chili.

If you want the best and hottest heat for chili, you want caspicum chinense varieties.  The best of them have a citrusy, very floral flavor that really pops against the dusky flavor of typical chili.  Bhut Jolokia is my least favorite, ghost peppers are all heat and no flavor.  7-Pots and Trinidad Scorpions are great, but the Carolina Reaper is king.  It's not King because of the heat, but because of the intense flavor.  I use 1/2 a pepper without seeds or membranes for a large pot if I really want the flavor to shine and the chili to be hot-hot. I only use the seeds for adding anonymous heat to a complete sauce. 1-3 seeds dropped into a bottle of hot sauce really brings the sweat out, after a few weeks when it diffuses through.  Just watch your dish for that seed, you don't want it to catch you unaware lol
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:

I've noticed that most "Mexican" authentic restaurants are not that.  They take wayyyy too much south American cuisine into it.  I have yet to find an east coast Mexican spot that serves Albondigas.  When I do that will be my forever go to!
    It really amazes me that people think $100 duck carnitas is the best Mexican food in NYC. Damn shame really. Not sure why Danny Meyer has not taken a shot at authentic Mexican food.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,684
    Spoke of fasting here and was asked some questions...I am always reading to try and understand the benefits but they just don't know lots about it.  This was interesting, to me.   https://getpocket.com/explore/item/japanese-fasting-study-reveals-complex-metabolic-changes-in-the-human-body?utm_source=pocket-newtab
    (Nothing about 120 hour fasts like the ones I do in this article..)

On Tacos....I could go all day.  Life in LA for 20 years built my taco game.  Took us a good while to find some "real" tacos in South Jersey, but we finally did.
    Philly has some good ones.  (And one place that is Top 10 all time Tacos for me....amazing)

What's the top 10 spot? 

Lot's of good spots around me in south philly.  Can't walk a block without bumping into a taco joint.
    South Philly Barbacoa - I know you love that spot as well 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:

It really amazes me that people think $100 duck carnitas is the best Mexican food in NYC. Damn shame really. Not sure why Danny Meyer has not taken a shot at authentic Mexican food.
    Duck on a taco is like pineapple on a pizza.  Neither is what it was originally intended for when you add those ingredients...

Would Mr Meyer would put Gold Flake on the carne?
  • Options
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:

Duck on a taco is like pineapple on a pizza.  Neither is what it was originally intended for when you add those ingredients...

So you'd pass up something delicious just because it doesn't fit some kind of rule?  Duck on a taco sounds great.  Better suited for a taco than chicken...
  • Options
    MF117973 said:
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:

There are two taco places in the East Village neighborhood that are somewhat decent. Rosie’s on 2nd Avenue - but trendy, and usually a wait to get into, and El Diablito on East 3rd Street- a hole in the wall with like 2 tables but really good. The carnita tacos there are heavenly. 
    Any place in the city that has good food or trendy you'll be waiting.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,684
    Mexico City = taco mecca.  Can't wait to get down there and eat my way through a bunch of old school to new school versions.
    Lots of Mexico trips and although I have been sick from a few trips the tacos were amazing.
  • Options
    ^ Thanks for the hot sauce and pepper info above, guys!  Helpful and exactly what I was looking for.  Last question...what was that hot sauce brand you guys were talking about a while back on here?  Someone had it delivered (maybe F me?) and the consensus was that it's some of the best.  Not necessarily for chili; just in general.
  • Options
    The Chicago area has some dynamite Mexican spots for tacos.  Not the fancy type.  These are dingy, little hole in the wall type spots, but they are the best, authentic tacos I've personally had.  I have a taste for tacos now.
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    ^ Thanks for the hot sauce and pepper info above, guys!  Helpful and exactly what I was looking for.  Last question...what was that hot sauce brand you guys were talking about a while back on here?  Someone had it delivered (maybe F me?) and the consensus was that it's some of the best.  Not necessarily for chili; just in general.
    Gringo Bandito!  
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    So many....I love Secret Aardvark for eggs, I know I shared I found that to be the best for me on eggs.
    Have shared a zillion of them over time....most recently Tempo recommend the Gringo Bandito line and I ordered)am enjoying.
    It all depends on the heat level you want.  Some I have are ridiculous and only the true hot sauce folks would eat in any qty....I dabble with them on occasion.  Some are awesome and good on tons of stuff.
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    The Chicago area has some dynamite Mexican spots for tacos.  Not the fancy type.  These are dingy, little hole in the wall type spots, but they are the best, authentic tacos I've personally had.  I have a taste for tacos now.
    That sounds great!

All this taco talk is making me hungry.
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    rgambs said:
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:

So you'd pass up something delicious just because it doesn't fit some kind of rule?  Duck on a taco sounds great.  Better suited for a taco than chicken...
    I don't necessarily agree. While I guess I wouldn't pass on trying a duck taco, I am really only good for just a few bites of duck and I'm out. Chicken for me, please. 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    deadendp said:
    rgambs said:
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:

I don't necessarily agree. While I guess I wouldn't pass on trying a duck taco, I am really only good for just a few bites of duck and I'm out. Chicken for me, please. 
    I wonder if it's how it's prepared?  IMO, duckis best whenshredded with a nice sweet and savory sauce.  
  • Options
    Gringo Bandito it is!  Ordering some today.  I like some intense heat on occasion, but I don't want to sweat to the point that I don't enjoy my meal.  I'll probably get a few different ones and I'll report back after I've dabbled in them a bit. 
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:

If I was to seek out a General Tsao's taco and that is what I wanted I would go to one of these places but I'm not.  I go to a Chinese food place for that.

When I want a taco, I want a taco.  Same for Pizza.  If I want buffalo chicken and blue cheese I seek that out and not on a damn pizza.

The optics on some of these things just doesn't make sense to me.  I'm up for trying anything and I will eat anything but I don't care to try your caramelized onion and beef stroganoff on a corn tortilla with chipotle coleslaw and calling it a taco.  Stop it.
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,029
    MF117973 said:
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:

Any place in the city that has good food or trendy you'll be waiting.
    Rosie's definitely has a wait. However, El Diablito is much less known. I usually just get takeout from them. They are a 1/2 block away from me. They also have excellent hauraches. All corn tortillas.

• Options
    I’ll add a recommendation of my own.  McClures spicy pickles and Bloody Mary mix. It is outstanding for anyone that enjoys either or both.

https://mcclures.com/pages/the-goods#
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    Gringo Bandito it is!  Ordering some today.  I like some intense heat on occasion, but I don't want to sweat to the point that I don't enjoy my meal.  I'll probably get a few different ones and I'll report back after I've dabbled in them a bit. 
    The hot is pretty hot.  The original is really good.  Has some heat but not too much.
    The salsa Verde is just delicious.
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:

If I was to seek out a General Tsao's taco and that is what I wanted I would go to one of these places but I'm not.  I go to a Chinese food place for that.

When I want a taco, I want a taco.  Same for Pizza.  If I want buffalo chicken and blue cheese I seek that out and not on a damn pizza.

The optics on some of these things just doesn't make sense to me.  I'm up for trying anything and I will eat anything but I don't care to try your caramelized onion and beef stroganoff on a corn tortilla with chipotle coleslaw and calling it a taco.  Stop it.
    On the one hand, I see where you are coming from, a Rueben taco doesn't make any sense because the rye is essential to it's Rueben-ness.  On the other hand, people take all the fun out of food with this attitude, and then it gets out of hand and nobody's allowed to put toppings on their pizza or condiments on their hotdog.
    Buffalo chicken and Bleu cheese happens to be a perfect example.  It doesn't work very well on it's own, it needs paired with a grain.  Buns and regular bread soak up the sauce and need to be toasted or a ciabatta type bread, but then the texture is not ideal for everyone.  The best pairing with buffalo chicken and blue cheese is definitely a flat bread.  If you roll that up it's a wrap and nobody cries, but if you just fold it and call it a taco, someone's going to salt it with tears of inauthenticity.  Likewise, it's great on a thick flatbread, wherein the flavors remain a little more separate and are able to get a bit of char on top.  Delicious, but don't call it a pizza (though it clearly is one lol) or someone from NY or NJ is going to have a hemorrhage.

Put general Tso's chicken in a fried wonton with some Asian slaw and call it a taco, I'll eat that shit all day.  Delicious.