The Food Thread

Comments

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    dankind said:
    Been making a lot of smoothies since staying at home. 

^^^ (orange juice, Greek yogurt, pineapple, banana, strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, and raspberries)

Edit: Ooh, and it looks like the wife baked some cookies!

What the fuck man?  You gonna go and post those cookies on us like it's no big deal?  Now how are we supposed to go about our days?
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • deadendpdeadendp Posts: 10,434
    edited May 2020
    DK, 

I need a cookie, please. 

I am presently on round 2 of Mother's Day apple breads. Had both out of the pans, needed to flip one over and drizzle homemade caramel on it and...the hot Pyrex loaf pan slid out of my mitted hand, breaking both pans and glass flew everywhere. One was far enough out of the way, but the other? :frowning:

I yelled FUCK! K asked if I was okay. M came out from the bedroom yelling, "Clean-up on aisle 5!"

"Now is not the time."

He helped to clean it up and now- another batch. Hoping this one turns out. 🤞
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,834
    rgambs said:
    dankind said:

^^^ (orange juice, Greek yogurt, pineapple, banana, strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, and raspberries)

What the fuck man?  You gonna go and post those cookies on us like it's no big deal?  Now how are we supposed to go about our days?
    I haven’t even had one. Not really a chocolate chip person. Oatmeal raisin or peanut butter or a certain someone’s crack cookies, and those shits would be ate. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    rgambs said:
    dankind said:

I haven’t even had one. Not really a chocolate chip person. Oatmeal raisin or peanut butter or a certain someone’s crack cookies, and those shits would be ate. 
    :smiley:

• eddieceddiec Posts: 3,859
    rgambs said:

Whoa! What you got there?

• FifthelementFifthelement Posts: 6,958
    rgambs said:
    Supper tonight is salmon wellington mad with fresh sockeye, and garlic roasted asparagus all served on a bed of rice..  the starter was a nice sherry casked glenmorangie single malt.

Well done, sir!
    I don't think I would like my salmon in a pastry crust like that, but there's no question that you nailed it!
    Ma’am, but thank you.  I usually like my salmon unembellished as well, but a friend made wellingtons for me last year and converted me. It’s very rich so I don’t make it often.  Definitely worth it when I do though.

Trying to keep the menu interesting, when take-out 3-4 times per week is no longer an option, has been time consuming to say the least.  General meal planning now has to be thought of weeks in advance in perpetration the grocery shop.

eddiec said:
    Okay. Dinner time here in Ireland. It's a surprisingly warm, sunny day, so went down to my fishmonger. Grilled John Dory, steamed mussels and grilled garlic bread. And a nice bottle of Marlborough.

This looks so good.  “Mmmm, mussels”   *in my best Homer Simpson impression*

Sorry your delivery plans didn’t work out F me.  I just learned this week about how broken the food supply chain has become in the US.  It’s scary.  Covid-19 has affected employees at a few different processing plants in Canada as well.  Haven’t really felt the knock-on effects too much yet, but that’s all subject to change.

its devastating to see all the waste that goes along with these breakdowns.  Milk being spilled, fruit and veg being buried, and animals being slaughtered as wastage.  Meanwhile people are going hungry.

It’s really scary when things you have relied on your whole life to keep you safe are shown to be vulnerable to such a degree.

sorry for the depressing digression.  I think I need some chocolate chip cookies and a smoothie 😊

"What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
    edited May 2020
    I bought a half dozen 1lb packages of Honeysuckle White 93/7 ground turkey for $1 each because they were at the use/freeze-by date and figured I would use them as anonymous protein filler... This was not an anonymous meal lol
    I mixed what was leftover from that butt I smoked a few weeks ago and some breadcrumbs and egg to make the meat.  The filling is Cabot Seriously Sharp cheddar, cream cheese, and peppers/candied jalapenos from the garden.
    It was fantastic!
    Post edited by rgambs on
    rgambs said:

That is some fine craft you have there, sir! :plus_one:
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    They took the order.  Gave me a delivery date a week out, which was yesterday.
    Shopped yesterday, updated all of the weights/charges but never showed up 
    I reached out q bunch of times and when I have them a deadline this morning to respond or I would report the charge as fraudulent and refuse any attempt at delivery a day late they emailed and told me the courier cancelled.
    (After buying the meats/cheeses and updating the weights to reflect what they picked?)
    Very fishy 
    Had fun sending them a pretty nasty email.  
    Oh well, I guess there is a certain amount of this to be expected.  If they don't clear the charge today I will report it so the only thing lost was the anticipation of those steaks and some great cheeses/other meats.

Will find another spot to order from.
    Was this Mercato? I have ordered about a half a dozen times and it has been perfect each time.  Have a friend who had issues too though with delivery times and get got charged extra/twice or something 
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,686
    rgambs said:

That right there is culinary art. Well done 👏👏👏
    Yeah holy shit! That is awesome 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain Posts: 31,081
    They took the order.  Gave me a delivery date a week out, which was yesterday.
    Shopped yesterday, updated all of the weights/charges but never showed up 
    I reached out q bunch of times and when I have them a deadline this morning to respond or I would report the charge as fraudulent and refuse any attempt at delivery a day late they emailed and told me the courier cancelled.
    (After buying the meats/cheeses and updating the weights to reflect what they picked?)
    Very fishy 
    Had fun sending them a pretty nasty email.  
    Oh well, I guess there is a certain amount of this to be expected.  If they don't clear the charge today I will report it so the only thing lost was the anticipation of those steaks and some great cheeses/other meats.

Will find another spot to order from.
    Was this Mercato? I have ordered about a half a dozen times and it has been perfect each time.  Have a friend who had issues too though with delivery times and get got charged extra/twice or something 
    Yessir!

And there is some great looking stuff out there, folks!

Sorry about your mishap, Miss A.  
    Crack cookies would be amazing right about now!  Ate so many that one night....
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    deadendp said:
    DK, 

I need a cookie, please. 

I am presently on round 2 of Mother's Day apple breads. Had both out of the pans, needed to flip one over and drizzle homemade caramel on it and...the hot Pyrex loaf pan slid out of my mitted hand, breaking both pans and glass flew everywhere. One was far enough out of the way, but the other? :frowning:

I yelled FUCK! K asked if I was okay. M came out from the bedroom yelling, "Clean-up on aisle 5!"

"Now is not the time."

He helped to clean it up and now- another batch. Hoping this one turns out. 🤞
    Sorry for the mishap. How did the new batch come out. My mom is a great baker. I did not inherit those skills. I have been craving chocolate chip banana bread. I might have to give it a try. 
    Thanks! 

Batch 2 looks and smells good. It's going as a gift regardless. See, my MIL is relatively difficult to please, but she will appreciate the bread. My mom always has a critical "well next time" comment with baking. She is not like that with anything else though. 

And the taco soup was fabulous. I threw in a lil too much last minute spice, but it's all good. Tasty! 

Crack cookies. One of my favorites. (Craisin Apple Cinnamon Chip Oatmeal to those who don't know.) 
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    deadendp said:
    Thanks! 

Batch 2 looks and smells good. It's going as a gift regardless. See, my MIL is relatively difficult to please, but she will appreciate the bread. My mom always has a critical "well next time" comment with baking. She is not like that with anything else though. 

And the taco soup was fabulous. I threw in a lil too much last minute spice, but it's all good. Tasty! 

Crack cookies. One of my favorites. (Craisin Apple Cinnamon Chip Oatmeal to those who don't know.) 
    Oh, to be your neighbor (no pop-ins, I promise!) :)
    hedonist said:
    deadendp said:
    Thanks! 

Oh, to be your neighbor (no pop-ins, I promise!) :)
    Speaking of neighbors, for Mother's Day, the boys set out a tray of vanilla filled cupcakes with cream cheese buttercream frosting for me. I got a text to come get them from the driveway. I didn't hesitate. :smiley:
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,834
    OK, now I think I’ll have one of those cookies. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    dankind said:
    I’m guessing someone is a-buzzing. 
    dankind said:
    Only one? 😜
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,175
    BLACK35 said:
    BLACK35 said:
    Had many fried bologna sammys  when I was younger. Up here in Canada we call it Newfie Steak! 
    My dad was a Newf and they were they poor when he was young. Bolgna was a staple for them and the other delicasie that they had that didn't catch in our household growing up was....SPAM!
    Spam sandwiches are nasty!
    Them Hawaiian Islanders love that stuff.

Question.

Anyone ever make their own mayo?  I've been wanting to try making my own because I read that fresh made mayo is amazing.

Never made my own mayo
    My mother always used to make her own mayo , from what I remember she would use egg yolks & oil drizzle  in very slowly as you scrambled them , this was yrs ago and it’s the Chilean version of mayo..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,175
    https://www.chileanfoodandgarden.com/easy-homemade-mayo/
    The difference from the mayo my mother used to make is she only used the yolks of the eggs, this recipe uses the whole egg ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....

Probably should have taken a picture before eating 2 of them lol
    Who ever decided donuts were breakfast anyways? 
    Happy Mother's Day lol
    edited May 2020
    rgambs said:

Happy Mother's Day lol
    Between the donuts, cookies, and talk of apple cake you all are seriously activating my sweet tooth. Everyone enjoy!!
    The donuts look amazing!
    MF117973 said:
    rgambs said:

Happy Mother's Day lol
    Between the donuts, cookies, and talk of apple cake you all are seriously activating my sweet tooth. Everyone enjoy!!

Speaking of Apple Cake ... the cat decided to be an asshole this morning. :angry: 
  • lmckenney24lmckenney24 Posts: 1,989
    rgambs said:

Happy Mother's Day lol
    Looking good!
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain Posts: 31,081
    Just made a (nearly) perfect french omelette for Mrs FMe's Mother's Day breakfast.  Forgot to take a picture but learning to cook an omelette the classic/French style is something I loved doing.  
    I ate omelette almost every day for a few months back when I worked on that skill.
    So..... tasty!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    Just made a (nearly) perfect french omelette for Mrs FMe's Mother's Day breakfast.  Forgot to take a picture but learning to cook an omelette the classic/French style is something I loved doing.  
    I ate omelette almost every day for a few months back when I worked on that skill.
    So..... tasty!
    Our stomachs are wishing we had gone with eggs lol