Options

The Food Thread

Comments

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    deadendp said:
    dankind said:
    My daughter has been baking our weekly banana breads (yes, with chocolate chips) on her own—zero supervision. She just turned 10, so you can do it, @MF117973 !!

I don’t know if she’ll ever make crepes that look as good as K’s, though. That takes a more delicate skill set than I think she possesses. 
    K has been making banana bread for about the same length of time. Good stuff!
    Yeah, I think as soon as my daughter is permitted to play hockey again, she'll likely never bake another banana bread. But they've been pretty good, except she won't listen to me and replace the chocolate chips with peanut butter chips for maximum deliciousness.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,510

• Options
    ^ Chicken Savoy, roasted acorn squash, grilled asparagus.  Small rose bubbly for mom!

• Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,213
    dankind said:
    My daughter has been baking our weekly banana breads (yes, with chocolate chips) on her own—zero supervision. She just turned 10, so you can do it, @MF117973 !!

I don’t know if she’ll ever make crepes that look as good as K’s, though. That takes a more delicate skill set than I think she possesses. 
    Thanks for the motivation. I will go for it. My mom makes great chocolate chip banana bread. I will get her recipe. Maybe this weekend I will give it a try.

• Options
    Get_Right said:

That ll looks delicious. I had not heard of Chicken Savoy. I just looked it up. Sounds delicious. Anything with balsamic vinegar gets my vote.

• Options
    I have a question for all the meat experts here - I was rooting around the back of my freezer and found a pork tenderloin. It was vacuum sealed and does not look freezer burned. But apparently I bought it in November of 2018. Is it still safe to eat? I am defrosting it now in the refrigerator to cook tomorrow. But if you think it is too old, let me know. Thanks. I appreciate it.
  • Options
    MF117973 said:
    I have a question for all the meat experts here - I was rooting around the back of my freezer and found a pork tenderloin. It was vacuum sealed and does not look freezer burned. But apparently I bought it in November of 2018. Is it still safe to eat? I am defrosting it now in the refrigerator to cook tomorrow. But if you think it is too old, let me know. Thanks. I appreciate it.
    @Wobbie
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    MF117973 said:
    Get_Right said:

That ll looks delicious. I had not heard of Chicken Savoy. I just looked it up. Sounds delicious. Anything with balsamic vinegar gets my vote.

I actually use red wine vinegar in the sauce, splash of balsamic at the end. Once you have this you crave it!

• Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    MF117973 said:
    If it isn't discolored or freezer burned, my guess is that you are good to go.  When it thaws and before going through preparing it to cook, give it a few good sniffs.  If it passes the sniff test, I would say that you are good.  If it smells strong as you cook it, pitch it.  (I have had that happen with frozen ground turkey.  Probably wouldn't make us sick, but it didn't smell like freshly frozen meat should.)  
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    dankind said:
    MF117973 said:
    @Wobbie
    Beat me to it. 
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    MF117973 said:
    If it was not left out at room temperature before freezing then it's good to go.  Safely frozen foods are considered safe indefinitely.  I made a 3 year old turkey for Thanksgiving dinner one year and everybody loved it lol
    Poultry fat does go rancid, I believe from oxidization, and get a sour taste after 6 months or so, but if you cook low and slow you render all that fat out and lose that taste. I wouldn't balk at a vacuum packed pork tenderloin at all.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,811
    Get Right, that looks awesome!

With you on burritos, Dankind.
    The banana bread sounds amazing.

MF - as Gambs stated, so long as it was fine when frozen and sealed properly, I would eat something from the freezer that is very old.  Would probably cook the same day as I defrosted.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Get Right, that looks awesome!

With you on burritos, Dankind.
    The banana bread sounds amazing.

MF - as Gambs stated, so long as it was fine when frozen and sealed properly, I would eat something from the freezer that is very old.  Would probably cook the same day as I defrosted.
    Thanks for all of the advice. It is rock solid, so I am defrosting it overnight in the refrigerator. I will reassess when it is defrosted and I can see what condition it is in. But, I do agree that if it has been frozen properly (which I am sure it has) then it should be ok. I had a nasty case of food poisoning several years ago. Would not want to go through that ever again.

• Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    I finally succumbed to the latest quarantine hobby, and got a sourdough starter bubbling. I used to be a regular sourdough baker, but let my starter die a few years back. I spent last week feeding and caring for my new starter, and finally baked a loaf of bread with it yesterday. Fun to be back in the game. 

"I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    jeffbr said:
    I finally succumbed to the latest quarantine hobby, and got a sourdough starter bubbling. I used to be a regular sourdough baker, but let my starter die a few years back. I spent last week feeding and caring for my new starter, and finally baked a loaf of bread with it yesterday. Fun to be back in the game. 

That looks wonderful!  When we go to West Side Market in Cleveland, my daughter always visits Theresa's for their sourdough. She does not share it either. :lol: 
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    jeffbr said:

Oh, to tear off a chunk of that.  No butter or accoutrements needed!
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,811
    jeffbr said:

I have very little bread game.  That looks really good!
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,659
    Burritos are the shit

That bread looks great
  • Options
    Burritos are the shit

That bread looks great
    I've already had two burritos today: eggs over easy with cheese and hot sauce for breakfast (runny yolk + warm burrito flour = deliciousness), and various leftover grilled chicken prepared exactly like the fried chicken one from yesterday for lunch.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    I try to resist the siren call of the tortilla bag....but it is tough.  If I'm doing leftovers, there is always a way to combine with cheese and hot sauce in that beautiful wrap to make something good.

This is my go-to available at the markets here in South Jersey

• Options
    dankind said:
    Burritos are the shit

That bread looks great
    I've already had two burritos today: eggs over easy with cheese and hot sauce for breakfast (runny yolk + warm burrito flour = deliciousness), and various leftover grilled chicken prepared exactly like the fried chicken one from yesterday for lunch.
    Breakfast burrito sounds great. I was wondering what to make for dinner tonight. I actually have cheese, eggs, sausage links, salsa, tortillas, and avocado. Might just do breakfast for dinner. Thanks for the inspiration.

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,471
    jeffbr said:

That looks perfect!
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,471
    MF117973 said:
    dankind said:
    Burritos are the shit

That bread looks great
    Breakfast burrito sounds great. I was wondering what to make for dinner tonight. I actually have cheese, eggs, sausage links, salsa, tortillas, and avocado. Might just do breakfast for dinner. Thanks for the inspiration.

Huevos Rancheros is another option for eggs too!

jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    MF117973 said:
    dankind said:
    Burritos are the shit

That bread looks great

I go corn tortillas for that, though. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    MF117973 said:
    dankind said:
    Burritos are the shit

That bread looks great

I go corn tortillas for that, though. 
    Made my breakfast burrito. But not pretty enough for a photo. I got my tortillas at Whole Foods and they are a mixture of corn and flour. Tasted pretty good. Best of both worlds. 
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,442
    Last night was baked chicken and herbs.  I take the chicken breast side up, 1/2 onion up the caboose, herbs, S&P, mushrooms line the pan with a whole bulb of garlic to roast and 1 whole red potato w olive oil, pat of butter and broth.

You use the dripping to make a gravy.

Sides were cumin steamed greenbeans and pan seared brusselssprouts.

No pics taken, eaten too fast, sorry.  Was really good though.

A+ on that loaf of bread!
  • Options
    Starting up breakfast for dinner tonight. 

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Ohhh yeah
  • Options
    dankind said:

I like my bacon extra crispy, please.
  • Options
    deadendp said:
    dankind said:

I like my bacon extra crispy, please.
    This good?

I SAW PEARL JAM