Options

The Food Thread

Comments

• Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,948
    edited May 2020
    I made spicy shrimp tacos with garlic cilantro slaw, fresh mango salsa and smashed avocados for the first time.  Everything was delicious.  The recipe called for cotija cheese for a garnish.  I’ve never had that and have never seen it in my local grocery, but feta worked as a substitute.

Forgot to add, I made a pitcher of margaritas to go with it.

Post edited by Fifthelement on
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,811
    Grinding!
    (That cheese is good, btw)

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,216
    I made spicy shrimp tacos with garlic cilantro slaw, fresh mango salsa and smashed avocados for the first time.  Everything was delicious.  The recipe called for cotija cheese for a garnish.  I’ve never had that and have never seen it in my local grocery, but feta worked as a substitute.

Forgot to add, I made a pitcher of margaritas to go with it.

Mango salsa - yummmm!!
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Yum, that's some good looking "tacos" right there!  I can't wait for Saturday!  I'm going to make slaw to go with the fatty, and then we can have the leftover slaw with some kind of Mexican style dinner.  I think "Cajun pasta" for Mother's Day dinner. Dr. Gambs can't just make a definitive declaration on what she wants, so I suggested that, knowing she likes it well enough, and she said "sure"
    :angry:
    :anguished:

I suppose I'll just have chips and slaw and salsa on hand and she can graze at that all day, I know she likes grazing on dips.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,847
    Thai street food night.

• Options
    rgambs said:
    Yum, that's some good looking "tacos" right there!  I can't wait for Saturday!  I'm going to make slaw to go with the fatty, and then we can have the leftover slaw with some kind of Mexican style dinner.  I think "Cajun pasta" for Mother's Day dinner. Dr. Gambs can't just make a definitive declaration on what she wants, so I suggested that, knowing she likes it well enough, and she said "sure"
    :angry:
    :anguished:

I suppose I'll just have chips and slaw and salsa on hand and she can graze at that all day, I know she likes grazing on dips.
    Lucky lady.

• Options
    eddiec said:
    Thai street food night.

Pork loin cutlets and chicken tenderloins?
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,811
    Satay
    Yummmm!
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    rgambs said:
    eddiec said:
    Thai street food night.

Moo Ping (marinated pork) and chicken satay- grilled on the BBQ.
    Few different dipping sauces, pickled cucumber, Asian salad and rice.
    Post edited by eddiec on
  • Options
    eddiec said:
    rgambs said:
    eddiec said:
    Thai street food night.

It all looks amazing. I was going to make spaghetti for dinner. After seeing this, now I don't want it anymore. What to make, what to make?

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,661
    eddiec said:
    rgambs said:
    eddiec said:
    Thai street food night.

Dude, Scotland/Ireland is my next trip to Europe and it has always been to see some cool castles, landscapes, drink some stouts and drink tons of whiskey, eat some fucking haggis and blood sausage, perhaps a couple rounds of golf mixed in, but I think some grub at your place may be added to the itinerary lol
  • Options
    eddiec said:
    rgambs said:
    eddiec said:
    Thai street food night.

Dude, Scotland/Ireland is my next trip to Europe and it has always been to see some cool castles, landscapes, drink some stouts and drink tons of whiskey, eat some fucking haggis and blood sausage, perhaps a couple rounds of golf mixed in, but I think some grub at your place may be added to the itinerary lol
    When you eventually make the trip, let me know.

• Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,948
    Supper tonight is salmon wellington mad with fresh sockeye, and garlic roasted asparagus all served on a bed of rice..  the starter was a nice sherry casked glenmorangie single malt.

"What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Options
    Supper tonight is salmon wellington mad with fresh sockeye, and garlic roasted asparagus all served on a bed of rice..  the starter was a nice sherry casked glenmorangie single malt.

Well done, sir!
    I don't think I would like my salmon in a pastry crust like that, but there's no question that you nailed it!
  • Options
    I like the photo, looks good!
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    Leftover bits from the freezer and into the crock-pot day AKA Taco Soup. 

I had leftover cilantro lime shredded chicken, half of a can of crushed tomatoes, frozen corn, dry mixed beans, brown rice and sweet red pepper strips thrown in along with a pack of taco seasoning. Jump started the crock-pot with a lil boiling water to help the beans and rice along and to help the crock-pot get to high faster. All of the different components came from the freezer except for the taco seasoning. 

It may sound like a hot mess, but I have made something similar before (with ground meat and not shredded chicken) and it was tasty. 

2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    Sounds good!
    My large order of meats aborted.
    Oh well.  Try again!
  • Options
    Sounds good!
    My large order of meats aborted.
    Oh well.  Try again!
    What happened?! 
  • Options
    They took the order.  Gave me a delivery date a week out, which was yesterday.
    Shopped yesterday, updated all of the weights/charges but never showed up 
    I reached out q bunch of times and when I have them a deadline this morning to respond or I would report the charge as fraudulent and refuse any attempt at delivery a day late they emailed and told me the courier cancelled.
    (After buying the meats/cheeses and updating the weights to reflect what they picked?)
    Very fishy 
    Had fun sending them a pretty nasty email.  
    Oh well, I guess there is a certain amount of this to be expected.  If they don't clear the charge today I will report it so the only thing lost was the anticipation of those steaks and some great cheeses/other meats.

Will find another spot to order from.
  • Options
    They took the order.  Gave me a delivery date a week out, which was yesterday.
    Shopped yesterday, updated all of the weights/charges but never showed up 
    I reached out q bunch of times and when I have them a deadline this morning to respond or I would report the charge as fraudulent and refuse any attempt at delivery a day late they emailed and told me the courier cancelled.
    (After buying the meats/cheeses and updating the weights to reflect what they picked?)
    Very fishy 
    Had fun sending them a pretty nasty email.  
    Oh well, I guess there is a certain amount of this to be expected.  If they don't clear the charge today I will report it so the only thing lost was the anticipation of those steaks and some great cheeses/other meats.

Will find another spot to order from.
    Wow. I'm sorry to hear that. It doesn't make sense that's how things worked out in the end since the list was shopped and the total seemingly finalized. :i_dunno:
  • Options
    Yes, it is fishy.  I suspect the shopper may have made off with the order.
  • Options
    It gets better....someone just dropped a bag on our porch and pretty much ran away.

Sure enough, it is the stuff from the market.

I told my wife there is no way I am taking that shit in and eating it.  Who knows where it has been....I suspect the person only delivered because the company called them....which meant that likely the company lied to me about the courier cancelling....nfw.

She calls the company, who tried a few different stories and then agreed that it was messed up and that they have no way of knowing where the food has been for the last day or if it was properly refrigerated.
    They won't send anyone to pick it up.

Wife called a person she donates to on occasion who provides food to different groups in Camden and she was happy to get the call.  Said he will come and grab it, open and clean/smell everything....and freeze it for use during her next cook.  
    Hopefully nothing fishy happened to the food.

F that company.  What a pain in the ass.  I hate that I don't feel I can trust people but there was nothing that made me feel good about even touching that food....that service is dogshit.
  • Options
    It gets better....someone just dropped a bag on our porch and pretty much ran away.

I told my wife there is no way I am taking that shit in and eating it.  Who knows where it has been....I suspect the person only delivered because the company called them....which meant that likely the company lied to me about the courier cancelling....nfw.

She calls the company, who tried a few different stories and then agreed that it was messed up and that they have no way of knowing where the food has been for the last day or if it was properly refrigerated.

Wife called a person she donates to on occasion who provides food to different groups in Camden and she was happy to get the call.  Said he will come and grab it, open and clean/smell everything....and freeze it for use during her next cook.  

F that company.  What a pain in the ass.  I hate that I don't feel I can trust people but there was nothing that made me feel good about even touching that food....that service is dogshit.
    What a crazy story. I agree with you. I wouldn’t eat it either. I have been hearing more and more stories about the delivery shoppers taking things from people’s orders or adding their own stuff to it. It’s a tough situation. I know that they don’t have the best job right now, and they are taking risks, but delivering a whole order of meat and perishables a day late from who know where is completely unacceptable. 
  • Options
    Fatty is in the smoker, it's going to be delicious.  I don't know when I will be able to post pictures, probably not until the next time I leave the house and go somewhere with a real internet connection.
  • Options
    MF117973 said:

What a crazy story. I agree with you. I wouldn’t eat it either. I have been hearing more and more stories about the delivery shoppers taking things from people’s orders or adding their own stuff to it. It’s a tough situation. I know that they don’t have the best job right now, and they are taking risks, but delivering a whole order of meat and perishables a day late from who know where is completely unacceptable. 
    Yeah it is a shame to not be able to trust people.  Oh well.  Woman picked it up and seems fine with it so I'm glad it won't go to waste if it doesn't smell odd or anything when she inspects.

• Options
    Okay. Dinner time here in Ireland. It's a surprisingly warm, sunny day, so went down to my fishmonger. Grilled John Dory, steamed mussels and grilled garlic bread. And a nice bottle of Marlborough.

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited May 2020
    Been making a lot of smoothies since staying at home. 

^^^ (orange juice, Greek yogurt, pineapple, banana, strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, and raspberries)

Edit: Ooh, and it looks like the wife baked some cookies!

Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Now that's my kind of cookie.

I should do the smoothies too.  No reason not to.  Tasty AND healthy.
  • Options
    dankind said:
    Been making a lot of smoothies since staying at home. 

^^^ (orange juice, Greek yogurt, pineapple, banana, strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, and raspberries)

Edit: Ooh, and it looks like the wife baked some cookies!

Those cookies look amazing. I am going to try to make homemade ice cream this week with my ice cream maker. That would go so good with those cookies. 
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    hedonist said:
    Now that's my kind of cookie.

I should do the smoothies too.  No reason not to.  Tasty AND healthy.
    We’re getting so much fresh produce. It would likely rot if I didn’t make smoothies as often as I do. And yes, it’s a delicious way to make sure that we’re all getting our vitamins. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM