Options

The Food Thread

Comments

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,470
    Corona Eggplant Parm. My mom’s recipe, first time making. That with her mac and cheese as a side is my all time favorite meal. This held up surprisingly well though!

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,205
    dankind said:
    deadendp said:
    dankind said:
    Starting up breakfast for dinner tonight. 

I like my bacon extra crispy, please.
    This good?

Can I borrow one of those beauties to put on my burger tonight?

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Nice looking eggplant parm, Juggs!

Phase 2 here. 

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,802
    Corona Eggplant Parm. My mom’s recipe, first time making. That with her mac and cheese as a side is my all time favorite meal. This held up surprisingly well though!

Oh yeah that looks great.  Weak eggplant is disgusting.  Good eggplant is delicious.

Ever have Japanese eggplant?
    One or my favorite bites of all time was a Japanese eggplant/shrimp toast sort of deep fried invention.  Burned my tongue almost every time I ate it and still yearned for it every time my main sushi spot had it on the side menu.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,205

Well done. Looks amazing. I love eggplant parm but have never made it from scratch. 
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,659
    Yeah that looks incredible. Good stuff 
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,457
    dankind said:
    MF117973 said:
    dankind said:
    Burritos are the shit

That bread looks great
    I've already had two burritos today: eggs over easy with cheese and hot sauce for breakfast (runny yolk + warm burrito flour = deliciousness), and various leftover grilled chicken prepared exactly like the fried chicken one from yesterday for lunch.
    Breakfast burrito sounds great. I was wondering what to make for dinner tonight. I actually have cheese, eggs, sausage links, salsa, tortillas, and avocado. Might just do breakfast for dinner. Thanks for the inspiration.

Huevos Rancheros is another option for eggs too!

I go corn tortillas for that, though. 
    Yeah I do like corn way better than flour..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,500
    Eggplant looks amazing. You need some wire cooling racks to make sure the oil drains properly and the food stays crispy.
    Tortillas? Corn for tacos, flour for burritos and any tex mex (i.e. fajitas or breakfast tacos). And always two corn tortillas for each taco- that is the measure of a good taco joint. Fresh salsa, onions, cilantro and two tortillas.
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    dankind said:
    deadendp said:
    dankind said:
    Starting up breakfast for dinner tonight. 

I like my bacon extra crispy, please.
    This good?

Yes, thank you! 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Sons a bitches!
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    hedonist said:
    Sons a bitches!
    Jedi, 

We share. Would you like some bacon, too? 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    So full. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,933
    Made chili tonight. Used bison meat which I’ve pretty much replaced beef with for the most part. Kicked up the heat a bit this time (cayenne and jalapeño) and added some raw onion, cheddar cheese and oyster crackers on top. Pretty damn good and leftovers for days.  
  • Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,946
    Made a pork loins roast with a spice rub and a honey garlic glaze.  Served with new potatoes and oven roasted cauliflower, carrots and garlic.

"What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,802
    Good eats!
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,470
    edited May 2020

Oh yeah that looks great.  Weak eggplant is disgusting.  Good eggplant is delicious.

Ever have Japanese eggplant?
    One or my favorite bites of all time was a Japanese eggplant/shrimp toast sort of deep fried invention.  Burned my tongue almost every time I ate it and still yearned for it every time my main sushi spot had it on the side menu.
    No but that sounds interesting. 

I’m really particular when it comes to eggplant just because my mom’s is so fucking good. It’s rare that I find some place that comes close to that kind of quality. Actually the one place near me that does have solid eggplant just had a big fire today. Hope they’re gonna be okay. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    deadendp said:
    hedonist said:
    Sons a bitches!
    Jedi, 

We share. Would you like some bacon, too? 
    I think the chef polished them off :angry:
  • Options
    Fifth, that looks beautiful.

Speaking of eggplant, has anyone mastered rollatini?
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Made a pork loins roast with a spice rub and a honey garlic glaze.  Served with new potatoes and oven roasted cauliflower, carrots and garlic.

Yummmm!  I loooove pork tenderloin, and I think it's better than any cut of beef.  Do you cook to time or to internal temp?
    When I started pulling it out of the cook at exactly 145 I realized I had overcooked every tenderloin I had ever made lol.  So tender and juicy, and that rub looks primo!  Good job lady, sorry for assuming you were a dude.

Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Good stuff on the eggplant parm and breakfast dinner!

My Dad was a master of breakfast at any time, it can be pretty tricky.  You are looking at preparing 3-5 dishes that all cook for different times, and all (except sausage) need to be ready at the same time to be peak tasty.  Getting eggs, hash browns, bacon, and pancakes/french toast to be ready all at the same time is a kitchen flex.
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,389
    Get_Right said:
    Eggplant looks amazing. You need some wire cooling racks to make sure the oil drains properly and the food stays crispy.
    Tortillas? Corn for tacos, flour for burritos and any tex mex (i.e. fajitas or breakfast tacos). And always two corn tortillas for each taco- that is the measure of a good taco joint. Fresh salsa, onions, cilantro and two tortillas.
    Any self respecting taco stand/joint serves you a taco w two tortillas.  Before the shutdown I visited a brand new taco place and my tacos come out in a single so of course I eat half of it then eat the rest with a fork that fell on my plate.

When the server came over and asked how it was I told them that corn tortillas should always be in 2's because they fall apart.  It's like they never even heard of this.  I forget that I am in NY and they no dick about making proper tacos here.  They try though.
  • Options
    For the record I hate eggplant but I would have tried that @The Juggler !!!
  • Options
    I don't hate eggplant, but I do think it's a bit overrated.  It has so little flavor that it is just a texture in a dish like eggplant parm.  That being said, I do enjoy the texture and it makes for a great dish.  I just use zucchini because the difference is negligible and zucchini grows faster/more prolific.  Eggplant is beautiful, though.
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    I don't hate eggplant, but I do think it's a bit overrated.  It has so little flavor that it is just a texture in a dish like eggplant parm.  That being said, I do enjoy the texture and it makes for a great dish.  I just use zucchini because the difference is negligible and zucchini grows faster/more prolific.  Eggplant is beautiful, though.
    Agreed, basically if the oil and breadcrumbs have flavor then that is what you are eating.
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,500
    Get_Right said:
    Any self respecting taco stand/joint serves you a taco w two tortillas.  Before the shutdown I visited a brand new taco place and my tacos come out in a single so of course I eat half of it then eat the rest with a fork that fell on my plate.

When the server came over and asked how it was I told them that corn tortillas should always be in 2's because they fall apart.  It's like they never even heard of this.  I forget that I am in NY and they no dick about making proper tacos here.  They try though.
    Fellow New Yorker here as well.  Amazed at how long it took for decent tacos to show up on our food scene. And then disappointed at how expensive they are. I still love Bar Taco though!
  • Options
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:

Fellow New Yorker here as well.  Amazed at how long it took for decent tacos to show up on our food scene. And then disappointed at how expensive they are. I still love Bar Taco though!
    I'm not sure what you call a decent taco joint?  A Kung Pao taco is not my idea of a good taco...

If they don't have a traditional taco of meat, cilantro and onion, I usually won't bother.  It reminds me of pizza places out west, the more toppings they have on them the more palatable it is.

When the East coast Taco joints try to reinvent the taco is when they start costing so much.  There is beauty in a simple taco and most places lose sight of that.
  • Options
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:

I'm not sure what you call a decent taco joint?  A Kung Pao taco is not my idea of a good taco...

If they don't have a traditional taco of meat, cilantro and onion, I usually won't bother.  It reminds me of pizza places out west, the more toppings they have on them the more palatable it is.

When the East coast Taco joints try to reinvent the taco is when they start costing so much.  There is beauty in a simple taco and most places lose sight of that.

EDIT:  I just looked up Bartaco's menu and I wouldn't even bother, no simple tacos...

• Options
    edited May 2020
    Sorry for the Taco hatin y'all...
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:

A simple taco is easy to make at home though, being able to sample some interesting taco creations is way more fun.
    The best tacos I've ever had were not the traditional ones I had in Tucson, they were world famous gas station fish tacos and the smoked pork tacos I made a few weeks ago.
    The fish tacos were Mahi Mahi and mango pico de Gallo from the Whoa Nellie Deli inside the Mobil gas station in Lee Vining CA.
    Post edited by rgambs on
  • Options
    Spoke of fasting here and was asked some questions...I am always reading to try and understand the benefits but they just don't know lots about it.  This was interesting, to me.   https://getpocket.com/explore/item/japanese-fasting-study-reveals-complex-metabolic-changes-in-the-human-body?utm_source=pocket-newtab
    (Nothing about 120 hour fasts like the ones I do in this article..)

On Tacos....I could go all day.  Life in LA for 20 years built my taco game.  Took us a good while to find some "real" tacos in South Jersey, but we finally did.
    Philly has some good ones.  (And one place that is Top 10 all time Tacos for me....amazing)