Options

The Food Thread

Comments

• Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,215
    edited May 2020
    Someone please give me a good Taco Tuesday/Cinco De Mayo story!!!
    Not my story - but my 75 year old Jewish mother who is a fabulous cook has been using her Corona time to cook more things outside her comfort zone. Yesterday she made burritos from scratch for the first time. She said they came out so good that she made more and left them on my sister’s doorstep so she could share them with her grandchildren who she hasn’t been able to hug or kiss for over two months. Such a sweetheart. I haven’t seen my parents or the rest of my family since November ( I had trips planned to go them see them for both March and June). I hope to get there soon and taste what I hear are her excellent burritos. 
    Post edited by GlowGirl on
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,442
    MF117973 said:
    Not my story - but my 75 year old Jewish mother who is a fabulous cook has been using her Corona time to cook more things outside her comfort zone. Yesterday she made burritos from scratch for the first time. She said they came out so good that she made more and left them on my sister’s doorstep so she could share them with her grandchildren who she hasn’t been able to hug or kiss for over two months. Such a sweetheart. I haven’t seen my parents or the rest of my family since November ( I had trips planned to go them see them for both March and June). I hope to get there soon and taste what I hear are her excellent burritos. 
    A perfect story.  Thank you!
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I have a dog, two cats, a couple of guinea pigs, and a pair of nasty children--none of which/whom do a damn thing to earn their keep and all of which/whom could fill a nice mincemeat pie in a pinch.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    Subscribing to the Jeffrey Dahmer cookbook? 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    dankind said:
    I have a dog, two cats, a couple of guinea pigs, and a pair of nasty children--none of which/whom do a damn thing to earn their keep and all of which/whom could fill a nice mincemeat pie in a pinch.
    You want to mess w them?  Feed them the guinea pigs...

Ooooh, that's bad.
  • Options
    Fava beans and a nice chianti? 
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    MF117973 said:
    I'm sorry that you haven't been able to see your family. A burrito date with grandma is a must! 
  • Options
    deadendp said:
    MF117973 said:
    I'm sorry that you haven't been able to see your family. A burrito date with grandma is a must! 
    Thanks. I am the only one in my family who moved out of state. I have been talking pretty much every day with my parents, brother, sister, and my older nieces and nephews. My youngest nephews are 2 year old twins - so they will definitely not remember me next time I visit. Thanks goodness for FaceTime, Zoom, etc. I can't imagine if this were happening during the times of expensive long distance phone calls and snail mail.

• Options
    Turkey tips, trenette al pesto, grilled asparagus. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    ^^ Yum!
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    edited May 2020
    I'm binge-reading about butchering and meat cutting this week. Sort of wish I was in that line of work, very fascinating.  It's long been a dream of mine to make my own charcuterie and it's becoming... acute lol

Post edited by rgambs on
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,811
    Looks grinding, Dankind.

I made a ragu for some pasta from leftovers/stuff in the fridge.  It was so good.  

Could eat pasta every day, try to limit to once every week or two.  
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Was the kiddo reaching for “Parmesan”?

Speaking of meats, Adam Perry Lang was on Rogan last night. The guy is an artist-scientist when it comes to beef. Learned a lot about dry aging, different methods, etc.

Worth checking out, even if one isn’t a fan of the host ;)
  • Options
    I don't care if it's 50% sawdust, I loooove me some "grated" parmesan cheese!
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    I don't care if it's 50% sawdust, I loooove me some "grated" parmesan cheese!
    That's why we call it sprinkle cheese! :smiley:
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    That stuff works in a pinch for my unique and refined palate =)
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Are people fasting today? :i_dunno:
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,811
    Not me, not this week!
    I have a delivery coming from Reading Terminal Market (Philly's city market) tomorrow.  Lots of meats and cheeses from Amish vendors.
    I forgot to order bread from the bakery 😣
    Too late to add to order.
    Will share a pic....but much of it is freezer bound.
    Went this route for meat.
    Next meat order I will try local butcher.  Gotta be cheaper but these vendors we ordered from are always top notch.
  • Options
    deadendp said:
    No. Just haven't been cooking anything shareworthy this week. Tuna sandwich and some blueberries for lunch. Hope to do more cooking next week. I have had a busy work week. My semester is almost over, and I have been grading final papers like a maniac. Next week I will be grading final exams (all given online of course).

I am collecting recipes. I found an old school one online the other day. It was for lemonade/strawberry pie using frozen lemonade concentrate, condensed milk, whipping cream and strawberries. It is served frozen. Do they even sell frozen lemonade concentrate anymore. I don't remember the last time I saw that or frozen orange juice concentrate - remember those tubes.

• Options
    MF117973 said:
    deadendp said:
    No. Just haven't been cooking anything shareworthy this week. Tuna sandwich and some blueberries for lunch. Hope to do more cooking next week. I have had a busy work week. My semester is almost over, and I have been grading final papers like a maniac. Next week I will be grading final exams (all given online of course).

I am collecting recipes. I found an old school one online the other day. It was for lemonade/strawberry pie using frozen lemonade concentrate, condensed milk, whipping cream and strawberries. It is served frozen. Do they even sell frozen lemonade concentrate anymore. I don't remember the last time I saw that or frozen orange juice concentrate - remember those tubes.

They probably still do, but look at what I found for you!

https://comfortablydomestic.com/2015/05/homemade-lemonade-concentrate/

I just went to the recipe. Didn't bother to read the big write up. Maybe this would work? 
    Not me, not this week!
    I have a delivery coming from Reading Terminal Market (Philly's city market) tomorrow.  Lots of meats and cheeses from Amish vendors.
    I forgot to order bread from the bakery 😣
    Too late to add to order.
    Will share a pic....but much of it is freezer bound.
    Went this route for meat.
    Next meat order I will try local butcher.  Gotta be cheaper but these vendors we ordered from are always top notch.
    That sounds wonderful. 
  • Options

I just went to the recipe. Didn't bother to read the big write up. Maybe this would work? 

Ooh. Thanks. I may have to try that. Homemade might be better than the frozen tube anyway.

• Options
    MF117973 said:

Ooh. Thanks. I may have to try that. Homemade might be better than the frozen tube anyway.
    Generally is. :smiley:
  • Options
    No pics but made some lemon chicken in a white wine sauce w cumin greenbeans and some whipped mashed taters.

Lots of herbs involved.

Delicious.

My GF is always amazed at how I can cook different things and finish them all together.
  • Options
    Nothing interesting here, Crock-Pot kraut, pan-fried thighs to go with the leftover taters and corn.
    This weekend, it's going down.  I'm firing up the smoker.  
  • Options
    No pics but made some lemon chicken in a white wine sauce w cumin greenbeans and some whipped mashed taters.

Lots of herbs involved.

Delicious.

My GF is always amazed at how I can cook different things and finish them all together.
    Sounds fabulous! I love lemon chicken!
    rgambs said:
    Nothing interesting here, Crock-Pot kraut, pan-fried thighs to go with the leftover taters and corn.
    What's smoking this weekend? 
  • Options
    I made another eggs bene-DK for lunch, and we had take-and-bake shredded chipotle chicken and queso nachos with crema and guac from a local spot and a salad for supper. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Also got some fried chicken. 

I use it throughout the week, putting it in skillet creations, tacos, burritos, etc. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    Also got some fried chicken. 

I use it throughout the week, putting it in skillet creations, tacos, burritos, etc. 
    I made the best pot pie ever with leftover fried chicken. 
  • Options
    Leftover fried chicken = some of the best leftovers imaginable, imo.
  • Options
    deadendp said:

Lots of herbs involved.

Delicious.

Sounds fabulous! I love lemon chicken!
    rgambs said:
    What's smoking this weekend? 
    Smoking a fatty lol 
    It's a stuffed meatloaf roll.