The Food Thread

Comments

• bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,946
    rgambs said:
    Little soy is good with any cabbage. 
    The more important thing is just that there's some salt, which helps with the Mailard reaction, which is what really matters most!
    Anybody here ever have kohlrabi?
    It's amazing, water chestnut texture with full cabbage flavor.

Oh yeah, that meat.
    Fuck me.  That's something else.
    I don't know Romanian sausage, but I sure wish I did.
    The Romanian sausage is awesome. I’d recommend trying it, especially since your a sausage and wurst kind of guy. Dipped in mustard is how we usually eat it. Perfect flavor. 
  • deadendpdeadendp Posts: 10,434
    Made a salad that was sort of a downer.
    I made it just right (actually o didn't let my balsamic reduction cool long enough so that wasn't right) but it was minus fresh basil, which I can't seem to get, and the romaine and cherry toms are so weak right now compared to how they should be in a good month.
    Pecorino goes well with this mix, though.  

Will make again in a month and will be 5x as good.

Basil is super easy to grow from seed. Do you grow some plants in the summer? The salad looks good! 

Re-run night with the turkey, potatoes and carrots from last night. Heated them up in the cast iron skillet. Made some rice for myself so my people could have the potatoes. 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • FifthelementFifthelement Posts: 6,958
    rgambs said:
    hedonist said:
    I would think wurst wouldn’t pair well with curry, but that sounds interesting and looks yummy. 
    I have to admit, the first time I saw it when we were in Berlin, my reaction was “eww.”  Then I tasted it and my world changed lol. I found a great recipe online.  It’s easy and takes about 20 minutes to prepare.  I use a weisswurst for mine and a Bavarian-style wiener for the husband.  Both are very mild in flavour and let the curry shine.  The fries are the best accompaniment so far.  I prefer them over potatoes or rice.

The recipe if your interested:

http://www.thekitchenmaus.com/homemade-currywurst/
    Thank you for sharing this!!  I'm a huge wurst/sausage fan and I've never had the opportunity to try this combination that's become so popular in the lands of wurst.

Are you in Europe?
    Tell us more about the wurst to be used and how we can procure the right kind.
    I'm guessing a weisswurst is a white sausage?  
    No, I’m in Canada.  I like the freybe weisswurst (White) for its mild flavour.  It allows the curry to take centre stage.  I think any mild sausage would be fine.  We saw quite a bit of variation depending on the place we ordered it.  We saw everything from brats to European seiners.  Good luck and enjoy.
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,946
    ^ I think the salad looks outstanding. 10x better than the salad I ate tonight. 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain Posts: 31,080
    deadendp said:
    Made a salad that was sort of a downer.
    I made it just right (actually o didn't let my balsamic reduction cool long enough so that wasn't right) but it was minus fresh basil, which I can't seem to get, and the romaine and cherry toms are so weak right now compared to how they should be in a good month.
    Pecorino goes well with this mix, though.  

Will make again in a month and will be 5x as good.

Basil is super easy to grow from seed. Do you grow some plants in the summer? The salad looks good! 

Re-run night with the turkey, potatoes and carrots from last night. Heated them up in the cast iron skillet. Made some rice for myself so my people could have the potatoes. 
    Yeah I keep ordering the plants so I can grow but perhaps I should just order some seeds.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,834
    Corona munchies. 

I SAW PEARL JAM
    That is good whenever it is had.
    It is lonely without it's too, right?  Or, do you prefer them topless?  

Also...in my house j have separate peanut butter and jelly than the others.  (Same for ketchup, a few mustards, and some other stuff)
    Sometimes I just have to go with the standards and dodge the healthy wave.
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    This choosy bitch chooses Jif. 
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,859
    bbiggs said:
    rgambs said:
    The more important thing is just that there's some salt, which helps with the Mailard reaction, which is what really matters most!

Oh yeah, that meat.
    The Romanian sausage is awesome. I’d recommend trying it, especially since your a sausage and wurst kind of guy. Dipped in mustard is how we usually eat it. Perfect flavor. 
    Somebody say Romanian sausage? My brother snapped this when we were in a butcher shop in Sighișoara.

Glorious!
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    eddiec said:
    bbiggs said:
    rgambs said:

Oh yeah, that meat.
    Somebody say Romanian sausage? My brother snapped this when we were in a butcher shop in Sighișoara.

You're killing me!  I want to try every single one!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,076
    Simple salt pepper.  I like to put onions and garlic on with, but my wife has reactions so o made the onion on the side to add.
    Want those fuckers burnt looking and wonderful tasting.
    I cook my Brussels sprouts in a cast iron skillet.  Himalayan salt, coconut oil and a dash of red pepper flakes.  I cut them in quarters and stir frequently and blacken them.  I love the crunch from cooking it this way.
    rgambs said:
    eddiec said:
    bbiggs said:
    rgambs said:

Oh yeah, that meat.

Didn't you say that you were on a mission to try every sausage in the world?
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    rgambs said:
    eddiec said:
    bbiggs said:
    rgambs said:

Oh yeah, that meat.

I would sure like to! If I was in that shop I would have to get 1 link each of as many as I could eat.
     I don't have the means to do so, and my wife is only marginally interested in sausage lol

I've been searching off and on for an international sausage sampler I can buy online, but I really haven't found anything all that promising, and that would exclude fresh raw sausages.

I guess I'm going to have to just start making sausage, it will probably be easier to find legitimate recipes and translate them to English lol
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    Simple salt pepper.  I like to put onions and garlic on with, but my wife has reactions so o made the onion on the side to add.
    I cook my Brussels sprouts in a cast iron skillet.  Himalayan salt, coconut oil and a dash of red pepper flakes.  I cut them in quarters and stir frequently and blacken them.  I love the crunch from cooking it this way.
    Yes, yes, and I'll have some more, yes.
    I like to use my skillet for everything but as you can see from that picture sometimes o need to call in the cast iron big boys.
    I like to use my skillet for everything but as you can see from that picture sometimes o need to call in the cast iron big boys.
    Yeah that pan is friggin awesome.  I just bought a roaster pan or else I'd be ISO one of those behemoths!
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    eddiec said:
    bbiggs said:
    rgambs said:

Oh yeah, that meat.

I would sure like to! If I was in that shop I would have to get 1 link each of as many as I could eat.
     I don't have the means to do so, and my wife is only marginally interested in sausage lol

I've been searching off and on for an international sausage sampler I can buy online, but I really haven't found anything all that promising, and that would exclude fresh raw sausages.

I guess I'm going to have to just start making sausage, it will probably be easier to find legitimate recipes and translate them to English lol
    We have a German specialty shop near us and they have a bunch of sausages, you'd be in heaven.
    Yeah that pan is friggin awesome.  I just bought a roaster pan or else I'd be ISO one of those behemoths!
    It serves as a home defense weapon as an added bonus.  Drop it on someone.  Lol

dankind said:
    Corona munchies. 

Crunchy PB here and I would have PB'd the back of the cracker.  I actually have to have three different PBs here.  M eats the natural stuff with the oil.  (He dumps the oil off.)  K eats creamy PB only.  If it involves jelly, that means that I need to make a sandwich.  For that, I have pear jam or apple cinnamon jelly. :smiley: 
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Posts: 16,427
    Whatever peanut butter is inexpensive is what I buy. I usually go with the natural kind, sometimes get creamy, and on rare occasion get crunchy but I only ever use it for sandwiches.  Natural and creamy are way more versatile.  Oh and it's always jam or preserves, never jelly for a PB sandwich.  Usually strawberry.  Smuckers Mosaic strawberry/blackberry is the shit right now.
    Whatever peanut butter is inexpensive is what I buy. I usually go with the natural kind, sometimes get creamy, and on rare occasion get crunchy but I only ever use it for sandwiches.  Natural and creamy are way more versatile.  Oh and it's always jam or preserves, never jelly for a PB sandwich.  Usually strawberry.  Smuckers Mosaic strawberry/blackberry is the shit right now.
    Crunchy PB or nuthin.
    My dad is a Jif guy.  Jif only.  Creamy Jif.  I always wanted extra crunchy and on the rare occasion (maybe once every few years) I could get mom to buy a jar, it was the greatest thing ever. 

I'm not picky on name brand.  I will buy what is on sale, but crunchy for me.  Creamy only if that is all we have.  Before this whole lockdown started, I grabbed a two pack at Sam's.  I'm thinking after my crunchy peanut butter is done, I'll be having the creamy for a while.  That's okay.  Serves straight up on a spoon just fine.  

But . . . it's Amish apple cinnamon jelly.  Apple doesn't make a jam.  Not that I'm aware of.  Good stuff! 
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,686
    Crunchy PB or nuthin.
    Agreed. Love crunchy PB. But lately I have been buying crunchy all natural almond butter. It gets pretty oily, but I keep it in the refrigerator - which helps. It is so good paired with wild blueberry fruit spread (which I had a lot of trouble finding in these corona days).

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Posts: 16,427
    deadendp said:
    My dad is a Jif guy.  Jif only.  Creamy Jif.  I always wanted extra crunchy and on the rare occasion (maybe once every few years) I could get mom to buy a jar, it was the greatest thing ever. 

I'm not picky on name brand.  I will buy what is on sale, but crunchy for me.  Creamy only if that is all we have.  Before this whole lockdown started, I grabbed a two pack at Sam's.  I'm thinking after my crunchy peanut butter is done, I'll be having the creamy for a while.  That's okay.  Serves straight up on a spoon just fine.  

But . . . it's Amish apple cinnamon jelly.  Apple doesn't make a jam.  Not that I'm aware of.  Good stuff! 
    I love the sound of that, like apple pie filling in a jar!  And apple pie just happens to be my favorite.  And you can definitely jam apples... or pears ("Pear Jam" :giggle: ).  I love jelly, just prefer jam or preserves on a pb sandwich. But jelly on a biscuit, toast, english muffin, cracker, etc can't be beat.
    deadendp said:

I love the sound of that, like apple pie filling in a jar!  And apple pie just happens to be my favorite.  And you can definitely jam apples... or pears ("Pear Jam" :giggle: ).  I love jelly, just prefer jam or preserves on a pb sandwich. But jelly on a biscuit, toast, english muffin, cracker, etc can't be beat.
    There were many people who received jars of "pear jam" with the extra L added. :smiley:
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,686
    What was for lunch today? Nothing fancy here - a good old egg salad sandwich on whole wheat with a side of Terra Chips. I make my egg salad like deviled eggs on a sandwich - mayo, mustard, paprika, a bit of sweet relish. I love a good deviled egg.
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    I wish I liked relish, but nope. The other ingredients though are musts. And black pepper! Sometimes I’ll toss in a few shakes of Tobasco too. 
    Tune salad for lunch.  Love that stuff.  Loaded (overly so) with celery....love to add chopped dill pickles.  Lots of salt, pepper, crushed red, paprika, and a small scoop o mayo.
    Eat in iceberg cups.

@Hobbes, tried the 'sparagus roasted per your direction.  So great as far as taste....is there a way to keep that taste but still have firm bite?
    Tune salad for lunch.  Love that stuff.  Loaded (overly so) with celery....love to add chopped dill pickles.  Lots of salt, pepper, crushed red, paprika, and a small scoop o mayo.
    Eat in iceberg cups.

@Hobbes, tried the 'sparagus roasted per your direction.  So great as far as taste....is there a way to keep that taste but still have firm bite?
    Did your sprouts go soft?  :giggle:

Jedi, No relish, no pickles. Just no. 

Salad for lunch.