Options

The Food Thread

Comments

• Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,215
    edited May 2020
    Tune salad for lunch.  Love that stuff.  Loaded (overly so) with celery....love to add chopped dill pickles.  Lots of salt, pepper, crushed red, paprika, and a small scoop o mayo.
    Eat in iceberg cups.

@Hobbes, tried the 'sparagus roasted per your direction.  So great as far as taste....is there a way to keep that taste but still have firm bite?
    Chopped pickles or sweet peppers are great in tuna salad. I also sometimes add dill as well. My favorite way to eat tuna salad is on a toasted whole wheat everything bagel with tomato and lettuce. I might have to have that tomorrow.

Sometimes I like to put potato chips in my tuna sandwich. I know a few other people that do that - but most of my friends look at me like I am crazy.

Post edited by GlowGirl on
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    MF117973 said:
    Tune salad for lunch.  Love that stuff.  Loaded (overly so) with celery....love to add chopped dill pickles.  Lots of salt, pepper, crushed red, paprika, and a small scoop o mayo.
    Eat in iceberg cups.

@Hobbes, tried the 'sparagus roasted per your direction.  So great as far as taste....is there a way to keep that taste but still have firm bite?
    Chopped pickles or sweet peppers are great in tuna salad. I also sometimes add dill as well. My favorite way to eat tuna salad is on a toasted whole wheat everything bagel with tomato and lettuce. I might have to have that tomorrow.

Sometimes I like to put potato chips in my tuna sandwich. I know a few other people that do that - but most of my friends look at me like I am crazy.

Nonsense. That’s on the genius side of the genius—insanity spectrum. 

Do you also add hash browns to your breakfast wraps/burritos? 

We’re just living on a higher plane. They’ll either catch up or keep dragging their knuckles on the ground of mediocrity. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,811
    Chips is any sandwich is interesting.  Have done on occasion and like it.
    "Whacky!"
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,933
    Anyone ever have your fries in the bun with your hot dog? It’s delicious. The best chicago style hot dogs are served that way. Actual fresh cooked potatoes for the fries though. It’s like a once a year thing for me, but so good. 
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    Anyone ever have your fries in the bun with your hot dog? It’s delicious. The best chicago style hot dogs are served that way. Actual fresh cooked potatoes for the fries though. It’s like a once a year thing for me, but so good. 
    Sounds great. I haven’t had that but there is a souvlaki restaurant in my neighborhood that puts fries in the souvlaki sandwiches. It’s quite good. So, I think that some of us here agree that potatoes in all its glorious forms can be delicious in a sandwich 🥔🍟👍
  • Options
    MF117973 said:
    bbiggs said:
    Sounds great. I haven’t had that but there is a souvlaki restaurant in my neighborhood that puts fries in the souvlaki sandwiches. It’s quite good. So, I think that some of us here agree that potatoes in all its glorious forms can be delicious in a sandwich 🥔🍟👍
    100% agreed! Potatoes in a sandwich is always a good idea. Hash browns make pretty much everything better too. I pulled this picture from the hot dog place I’m talking about. They wrap them up like this and you eat the fries right along with the dog. So good.

• Options
    bbiggs said:
    MF117973 said:
    bbiggs said:
    100% agreed! Potatoes in a sandwich is always a good idea. Hash browns make pretty much everything better too. I pulled this picture from the hot dog place I’m talking about. They wrap them up like this and you eat the fries right along with the dog. So good.

Those fries look like some crispy goodness. I love fries with the skin on. 
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Stock your freezers people, the meat shortages are looking more and more imminent.
    I just saw a Facebook post about a farm 3 hours or so away from me that is selling live market weight hogs for $140!  They can't get them processed so they are just trying to recoup what they can.  The farmer who sent it to me said it's happening all over.  I checked around the local processors and they are all booked out months on orders and aren't taking live animals until 2021 in some cases, farmers are scheduling that far in advance. 
    I'm scrambling to figure out if I can get a live hog across the state and get it butchered 🤔 
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,811
    This is due to the slow down of the processing pace because either plants are closed or can produce less due to distancing/safety measures?

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    This is due to the slow down of the processing pace because either plants are closed or can produce less due to distancing/safety measures?
    Meat plants are overrun with cases of Covid-19, but didn't our fearless "leader" sign some legislation stating they need to remain open anyway? 
    rgambs said:
    Stock your freezers people, the meat shortages are looking more and more imminent.
    I just saw a Facebook post about a farm 3 hours or so away from me that is selling live market weight hogs for $140!  They can't get them processed so they are just trying to recoup what they can.  The farmer who sent it to me said it's happening all over.  I checked around the local processors and they are all booked out months on orders and aren't taking live animals until 2021 in some cases, farmers are scheduling that far in advance. 
    I'm scrambling to figure out if I can get a live hog across the state and get it butchered 🤔 
    I honestly took the initial reports as crap that Tyson was shoveling out. Won't buy Tyson after Food Inc. Your findings are interesting. I know that Kroger and maybe Giant Eagle have put limits on meat purchases. Thanks for the information! Hoping you find a processor. 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,442
    Guess I'm going down to the butcher to buy 40lbs of chicken breast then.
  • Options
    Many smaller grocers will be better, they often buy primal cuts and butcher them down to table cuts.
    My Dad is a trucker and he's seen 3 big box stores sold out on meat in the last week.  I hope things improve soon and I'm just being paranoid.
    I'm calling my local place today to see about a whole hog, since I'm just not gonna be able to get one of those cheap live ones.
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    Many smaller grocers will be better, they often buy primal cuts and butcher them down to table cuts.
    My Dad is a trucker and he's seen 3 big box stores sold out on meat in the last week.  I hope things improve soon and I'm just being paranoid.
    I'm calling my local place today to see about a whole hog, since I'm just not gonna be able to get one of those cheap live ones.
    I will preface by saying my question is probably a very dumb one. 

How about the smaller or home processors who process deer? I know a deer is a different critter. My sister used to help at one of those places back when she lived in Hanover PA. Just a thought. 
  • Options

Breakfast. 
  • Options
    deadendp said:

Breakfast. 
    Is this your famous homemade granola?
  • Options
    deadendp said:

Breakfast. 
    Is this your famous homemade granola?
    Not certain that it is famous, but yes this is my homemade granola. :smile:
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    I saw on the news that some big box stores are putting limits on meat. I guess meat is the new toilet paper. 
  • Options
    deadendp said:
    rgambs said:

How about the smaller or home processors who process deer? I know a deer is a different critter. My sister used to help at one of those places back when she lived in Hanover PA. Just a thought. 
    Nope, it's a valid question.  I've helped process a deer before, so I know it's possible, but there's 3 things stopping me.
    1 is that a hog is twice the weight and meat as a deer and with well more than twice the fat content. 
    2 is that the precision of butchering is completely different.  Most of a deer goes to sausage, so you hack it off the bone and grind it up.  Hog butchering, properly, requires quite a bit of bone cutting.
    3 is that my wife isn't super comfortable with that lol. She would rather we oversee the process to guarantee clean practices, or go with a trusted USDA inspected processor.

• Options
    rgambs said:

I just called our local meat market yesterday to look into getting some steaks for Mother's Day.  I haven't been there since the shut down so I wanted to make sure they had a normal supply and to see if I needed to pre-order.  He said they had the supply (for now), but steak was up ~$2/ lb. and ground sirloin was up ~$1.50/ lb.  Prices are going up big time. 
  • Options
    I have ordered a whole hog from a local, well-reputed meat processor/butcher shop.
    Should have been doing this all along, I specified exactly the cuts and sizes I wanted and it will be a hog from less than 30 miles from my house.  Always meant to do it this way, but it's just so easy to go buy meat at the grocery store as needed.  Don't think I'll be doing that any more.  Should have a freezer full of local pork in 2 weeks or so!  Yay!
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    deadendp said:
    rgambs said:

Nope, it's a valid question.  I've helped process a deer before, so I know it's possible, but there's 3 things stopping me.
    1 is that a hog is twice the weight and meat as a deer and with well more than twice the fat content. 
    2 is that the precision of butchering is completely different.  Most of a deer goes to sausage, so you hack it off the bone and grind it up.  Hog butchering, properly, requires quite a bit of bone cutting.
    3 is that my wife isn't super comfortable with that lol. She would rather we oversee the process to guarantee clean practices, or go with a trusted USDA inspected processor.

I understand that completely. 

No use in trashing a perfectly good critter with people who aren't as familiar with proper butchering of that animal. 

Glad that you got it resolved. 
  • Options
    Just purchased 20lbs of chicken from my butcher.  All individually wrapped into 1lbs so I can grab and thaw.

They aren't having a problem with getting product because they are "prime".  Maybe the answer is to buy from your local prime meat butcher.  You'll pay more but it'll be some good stuff!
  • Options
    Just purchased 20lbs of chicken from my butcher.  All individually wrapped into 1lbs so I can grab and thaw.

They aren't having a problem with getting product because they are "prime".  Maybe the answer is to buy from your local prime meat butcher.  You'll pay more but it'll be some good stuff!
    Always a good plan, smaller is better.  Big boxes are already running shortages, it seems likely to me that independent grocers are next, and butcher shops will follow.  
    I live in a completely rural area of Ohio, but the county I live in is more rural than the one we do business in.  The processors in the less rural county are running backlogs of 1.5-2 months and I'm only waiting 2 weeks in my home county.  Most of the small shops are limiting ground beef to a few lbs/customer and it's sold out constantly at Walmart and short/expensive at big independents. I don't understand why people rush to buy ground beef, it's practically the least interesting kind of meat you can buy. Even chicken is more fun than ground beef.
  • Options
    rgambs said:

Always a good plan, smaller is better.  Big boxes are already running shortages, it seems likely to me that independent grocers are next, and butcher shops will follow.  
    I live in a completely rural area of Ohio, but the county I live in is more rural than the one we do business in.  The processors in the less rural county are running backlogs of 1.5-2 months and I'm only waiting 2 weeks in my home county.  Most of the small shops are limiting ground beef to a few lbs/customer and it's sold out constantly at Walmart and short/expensive at big independents. I don't understand why people rush to buy ground beef, it's practically the least interesting kind of meat you can buy. Even chicken is more fun than ground beef.
    I buy one steak a month and eat turkey chop meat so yeah, not sure why people need all that ground beef for?
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,661
    I am not a crock pot hater, especially on weeknights.  Did some pork in mine yesterday. 

That French Onion soup recipe I posed comes highly recommended.  Quite good.

Hoping the shortages don't hit the butchers I typically go to.
  • Options
    Decided to help out one of my local spots and order out the "taco emergency kit".
    6 tortillas, protein of choice, chips and sals and pint of Margarita of choice for $27.

What a fucking disaster.  Told my GF while getting ready to pay that I would never do this again hoping that everyone inside heard me.

Forgot my salsa, chicken was cold, margaritas sucked, unorganized chaos inside, stood there waiting to pay for 10 minutes while the other 5 people inside looked for someone else's order whom cut the line because she is a regular...

Best part of my meal was the Negro Medelo that I bought somewhere else.
  • Options
    Decided to help out one of my local spots and order out the "taco emergency kit".
    6 tortillas, protein of choice, chips and sals and pint of Margarita of choice for $27.

What a fucking disaster.  Told my GF while getting ready to pay that I would never do this again hoping that everyone inside heard me.

Forgot my salsa, chicken was cold, margaritas sucked, unorganized chaos inside, stood there waiting to pay for 10 minutes while the other 5 people inside looked for someone else's order whom cut the line because she is a regular...

I'm sorry, C. 
  • Options
    deadendp said:

I'm sorry, C. 
    Thx.  I did have a nice beer though, lol!
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Someone please give me a good Taco Tuesday/Cinco De Mayo story!!!