Options

The Food Thread

Comments

• Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,208
    Better than my last attempt.  When I have them fresh in the restaurants in LA I love to eat at they are so amazing.  If I could make them 1/2 as good I would be thrilled.

Nothing fancy, but still very tasty.  Minute pork chops, corn, and leftover fried rice.

I made corn on the cob as well. But yours looks better. 
  • Options
    Steak fajitas on my freshly made tortillas with sautéed onions and peppers, hot salsa, avocado, and sour cream. I have got leftovers for days since it’s just me here. 

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,659
    Everyone is eating well tonight!
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,413
    Now I'm craving steak fajitas. 
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,802
    Yeah the fajita sounds/looks great
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    MF117973 said:
    Steak fajitas on my freshly made tortillas with sautéed onions and peppers, hot salsa, avocado, and sour cream. I have got leftovers for days since it’s just me here. 

Looks wonderful! 

Don't you burn your fingers putting the lil cob ends on?

No pictures, but my crock-pot turkey, potatoes, carrots and mushrooms were delicious. Weeded for 6 1/2 hours today, so it was nice to have a hot meal waiting. Enough for tomorrow as I will be back doing the exact same thing. 

My guess is that this is not a crock-pot crowd. :lol: 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    deadendp said:
    MF117973 said:

Looks wonderful! 

No pictures, but my crock-pot turkey, potatoes, carrots and mushrooms were delicious. Weeded for 6 1/2 hours today, so it was nice to have a hot meal waiting. Enough for tomorrow as I will be back doing the exact same thing. 

I roasted the corn in the oven wrapped in foil. So I didn’t have to reach into a boiling pot of water. I just pulled it out of the oven with tongs and stuck the little holders on. 

Crock-pot turkey sounds delicious. I have a small crock pot but the few times I have used it the food did not come out good for me. I work at home so if I need to slow cook something I just use the oven. But I was thinking of getting an Instapot. 
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,802
    For sure not a part of the wedding for 6.5 hours crowd if I can avoid it!

Love slow cooked stuff but don't have a good relationship with our crock pot.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Yeah the fajita sounds/looks great
    Thanks. They actually came out good for my first time making them. I have only been posting to this thread for a short time but you all have motivated me to up my cooking game. Coming on here has been great since the corona lockdown. Since I can no longer cook for anyone in person right now I can cook with you guys virtually. 

Maybe we all should do a virtual potluck over Zoom. We can eat, drink, and talk about food and Pearl Jam. 
    Post edited by GlowGirl on
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    MF117973 said:
    deadendp said:
    MF117973 said:

Looks wonderful! 

I roasted the corn in the oven wrapped in foil. So I didn’t have to reach into a boiling pot of water. I just pulled it out of the oven with tongs and stuck the little holders on. 

Crock-pot turkey sounds delicious. I have a small crock pot but the few times I have used it the food did not come out good for me. I work at home so if I need to slow cook something I just use the oven. But I was thinking of getting an Instapot. 
    I grew up with mom using a crock-pot and a pressure cooker. (An old time Instapot.) Won a small pressure  cooker, but I have only used it a time or two. It's the reason I haven't gone Instapot.

I haven't really been using the crock-pot much since I have been home. When making meat, I tend to shim it up with some whole carrots so it isn't boiled. I always make my corned beef in there. Definitely not an appliance for everyone, but I love the ones I own. 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    No pics. My phone was charging but did lamb burgers with tzatziki and grilled cauliflower. Not too shabby 
    I love tzatziki. Do you make it from scratch. If so, do you have a good recipe?
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    You all put me to shame!

I had breakfast for dinner :blush:
  • Options
    Eggs?
    Cereal?
    A bowl?
  • Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,948
    Made homemade Berlin-style currywurst with julienned French fries.

Curry powder, cayenne pepper, ancho chipotle Chili, onion powder, and smoked paprika.

"What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Options
    Eggs?
    Cereal?
    A bowl?
    Two each of eggs, bacon and pancakes, with roasted potatoes. One of my comfort meals (there are a LOT).

And a non-food bowl, of course ;)
  • Options
    I would think wurst wouldn’t pair well with curry, but that sounds interesting and looks yummy. 
  • Options

Curry powder, cayenne pepper, ancho chipotle Chili, onion powder, and smoked paprika.

Looks great. There used to be a restaurant down the street from me called Weschler’s Currywurst. I had always meant to try it. But it closed. I love the spice combo you posted. Now I wish I had gone there. 
  • Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,948
    hedonist said:
    I would think wurst wouldn’t pair well with curry, but that sounds interesting and looks yummy. 
    I have to admit, the first time I saw it when we were in Berlin, my reaction was “eww.”  Then I tasted it and my world changed lol. I found a great recipe online.  It’s easy and takes about 20 minutes to prepare.  I use a weisswurst for mine and a Bavarian-style wiener for the husband.  Both are very mild in flavour and let the curry shine.  The fries are the best accompaniment so far.  I prefer them over potatoes or rice.

The recipe if your interested:

http://www.thekitchenmaus.com/homemade-currywurst/
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Options

Yum!

hedonist said:
    Eggs?
    Cereal?
    A bowl?
    Two each of eggs, bacon and pancakes, with roasted potatoes. One of my comfort meals (there are a LOT).

And a non-food bowl, of course ;)
    But of course!
    The diner we used to frequent would call that a 2x2x2.
    Always good

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    hedonist said:
    I have to admit, the first time I saw it when we were in Berlin, my reaction was “eww.”  Then I tasted it and my world changed lol. I found a great recipe online.  It’s easy and takes about 20 minutes to prepare.  I use a weisswurst for mine and a Bavarian-style wiener for the husband.  Both are very mild in flavour and let the curry shine.  The fries are the best accompaniment so far.  I prefer them over potatoes or rice.

The recipe if your interested:

http://www.thekitchenmaus.com/homemade-currywurst/
    Thank you for sharing this!!  I'm a huge wurst/sausage fan and I've never had the opportunity to try this combination that's become so popular in the lands of wurst.

Are you in Europe?
    Tell us more about the wurst to be used and how we can procure the right kind.
    I'm guessing a weisswurst is a white sausage?  
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,933
    My good buddy just sent this to me.  Lives nearby and we hang out a lot in non-Corona times.  This sucks. Pulled pork sandwiches, ribs and Romanian sausage. Might need to have him do a curbside pickup for me. 

• Options
    Oh wow!

I know our cabbage family friends are controversial.
    A load of them searing in stovetop before they move to a hot over.
    Got some onion jam brewing next door.

• Options
    Brussels sprouts are amazing, especially when seasoned properly.  A sushi place we (used to) go to has the best I’ve ever had. Not exactly sure what they season them with, but they’re damn good. 
  • Options
    Simple salt pepper.  I like to put onions and garlic on with, but my wife has reactions so o made the onion on the side to add.
    Want those fuckers burnt looking and wonderful tasting.
  • Options
    And the Japanese do shit right with sprouts - have had some amazing ones as well.
  • Options
    And the Japanese do shit right with sprouts - have had some amazing ones as well.
    I think they cook them with soy sauce. Not 100% sure of that. Once the world resumes and I can get there I’ll ask. But you’re right.  Something with the Japanese preparation is different in a real good way. 
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Little soy is good with any cabbage. 
    The more important thing is just that there's some salt, which helps with the Mailard reaction, which is what really matters most!
    Anybody here ever have kohlrabi?
    It's amazing, water chestnut texture with full cabbage flavor.

Oh yeah, that meat.
    Fuck me.  That's something else.
    I don't know Romanian sausage, but I sure wish I did.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Made a salad that was sort of a downer.
    I made it just right (actually o didn't let my balsamic reduction cool long enough so that wasn't right) but it was minus fresh basil, which I can't seem to get, and the romaine and cherry toms are so weak right now compared to how they should be in a good month.
    Pecorino goes well with this mix, though.  

Will make again in a month and will be 5x as good.

• Options
    Oh wow!

I know our cabbage family friends are controversial.
    A load of them searing in stovetop before they move to a hot over.
    Got some onion jam brewing next door.

Onion jam - yum. I bet that tastes good on a multitude of things. 
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    My good buddy just sent this to me.  Lives nearby and we hang out a lot in non-Corona times.  This sucks. Pulled pork sandwiches, ribs and Romanian sausage. Might need to have him do a curbside pickup for me. 

It’s all good. I haven’t had ribs in a while. Might have to be my next takeout order.